PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Accident ... plz sign

atlfootr
05-16-2006, 10:34 PM
May 10th, Ken Arend was seriously injured in a skiing accident.
Please take time to sign his guestbook and wish him well.

Sign Ken's Guestbook
http://www.chippewaskiteam.org/KA/addentry.php

Tuesday, 16. May 2006 07:32 PM

Ken,

Rest assured your in our prayers, may God give you a full and speedy recovery so that your once again
"walk'n on water" as his son JESUS CHRIST walked before you.

GOD BLESS,
Rob and Carolyn

Datdude
05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
What happened? Scary stuff

atlfootr
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
What happened? Scary stuff
05-15-2006, 02:39 PM
jkski
TT Enthusiast

I've had the pleasure of meeting and watching this guy foot many times, and he is a great guy, and the enitre team of skiers are very nice and professional. That said, the accident took place on a private lake mostly designed for slalom skiing (the site of the 2004 MasterCraft Pro Championship). Typically this team puts on Wednesday night ski shows that are free to the general public at this lake, so they are used to the venue, and the drivers do a great job in a tight space.

From what I was told (I was not an eye witness, this is a third party account), the footer was backwards, and about mid-lake, they have a "show dock" that comes off shore for their starts, etc. Anyways, one of the boats was parked at the end of the dock (which they normally do during their shows) and the boat pulling the footer was coming up the lake when he made a slight course correction, which obviously had a large effect on the footer swinging him out further and striking the parked boat.

As of the other day I was told that the guy has a shattered pelvis and some possible head injuries. Don't know much more than that, except to say I wish he and his family the best and a speedy recovery.

05-15-2006, 03:07 PM
jkski
TT Enthusiast

Just got more news.......

Again, a somewhat third party account, so take it for what it is...

During the show, the footer typically marks his spot to let go by where he is in relation to the slalom course, and in such a case, he let's go at 3 ball. For whatever reason, this time he held on longer and released at 5 ball, which was just before he hit the boat, so at least he was not still holding on when the impact occurred. Also, he hit right about on his tailbone, avoiding any direct contact on the spinal cord, and at this point, they are reporting no head injuries.

Again, this is a third party account from someone who knows the owner of the lake and the team in general.

Yesterday, 11:45 AM
jkski
TT Enthusiast

Just an update.

If you would like to follow the story, the team will be posting updates on their website located at Chippewa Show Ski Team (http://www.chippewaskiteam.org/)

KEN UPDATES:

Sunday Afternoon
5/14/2006:

Very good news today. Ken had 2 hour surgery this morning to place a plate in the pelvis region to help with recovery. Doctors said he came thru the surgery very well, with minimal loss of blood and very good blood pressure. Ken is resting right now. Sarah has been able to communicate w/ Ken with sign language. Ken is responding to Doctors questions which is also a very good sign. The Doctors are very encouraged with his progress. Keep the prayers coming.

The Ken Arend Recovery Fund:

We set up an account at the National City Bank in Chippewa for the Ken Arend Recovery Fund. Checks should be made out to: CLWSST Ken Arend Recovery Fund. Send Donations to

National City Bank
Ken Arend Recovery Fund
5797 Chippewa Road
Chippewa Lake, OH 44215

Davo
05-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow, that's a horrible thing to have happen. :(

I have a friend who had a very bad break of his tibia platuea two weeks ago wakeboarding. He is now recovering.

The other day, I struck up a conversation with a guy at a conveinence store who was pulling a Ski Brendella and HE had a friend who broke his lower leg just days before.

I feel their pain as I had a bad break about 8 years ago wakeboarding.

THIS IS INTERESTING - I was listening to smooth jazz this morning on the way to work and they talked about an artist/singer who was formerly a keyboardist, but now only did vocals due to a waterskiing accident where he broke both his hands. :confused:

Be safe everyone and godspeed to Ken and his recovery.

jkski
05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Just another update for any one that has not had the chance to follow this on the Chippewa Ski Team website:

KEN UPDATES:

Wednesday night 5/17/2006: Ken had surgery today around 3PM to correct the placement of one of the screws in the back pelvis. The surgery was succesful and the screw is no longer a risk to his spinal cord. The orthopedic Doctor is happy with the placement of the screws and the front plate. At this point, the doctors are not planning any other surgery. Tomorrow they will start to take Ken off the breathing machine. Hopefully, we can begin to look forward to the rest and recovery phase. The Team prayed at our practice tonight, please continue to find room in your prayers for Ken.

Tuesday 5/16/2006: Sarah called me w/ an update. Ken is doing well. He is off the blood pressure medicine and his pressure is stable on his own. He is still on the breathing machine, however, he is using it less and less. On Sunday, the Doctors placed 3 screws in the back pelvis and a plate in the front. One screw in the back may be to close to the spinal column and the Doctors will do surgery tomorrow at 3 PM to reset it or place another one at a different angle. Ken is running a slight fever but it is expected and under control. Overall Sarah sounded good and said Ken is doing well. Sounds like Ken is feeling frustrated with himself over what is happened. Sounds like the Ken we know. To everyone, Ken is getting your messages on the guestbook and he does understand, so keep those prayers coming.