PDA

View Full Version : Honda Outboards

LakePirate
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I know that several of us around here own other types of boats other than MC. Some of them even require and outboard.

Interesting little fact I picked up the other day

Did you know that Honda Outboards are civic engines turned sideways and ported different to make the different HP.

I thought that was pretty crazy. I think it starts in the 50 or 75 range and goes on up.

shepherd
05-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I may have heard that when I bought my skiff (w/ 90 hp 4-stroke Honda) but forgot. It's interesting though. I know that it's a nice motor - quiet, very fuel efficient, and (so far) bullet-proof.

#47of100TeamMC
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. another bit of Interesting Male information to impress the ladies with!

#47of100TeamMC
05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
"civic engines turned sideways and ported different to make the different HP."

So does that mean theoretically you could buy a 50hp honda motor and have your buddy port it different and get a 75+ hp motor out of it?

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Very interesting! Next thing you know they'll be offering fart pipes and wings for your boat if you buy a Honda Outboard :rolleyes:

LakePirate
05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Shep - I agree they are bullet proof, but the carb will junk up on it, as that is not their business

47# In theory you are correct

JR - Can I join a car club now? I am going to get racing seats with 4 point harnesses for the 'toon

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
JR - Can I join a car club now? I am going to get racing seats with 4 point harnesses for the 'toon

U bet! Better get a couple hundred performance stickers to put on the toon as well. You know each sticker is worth an extra 10 hp!! :rolleyes:

VTJC
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Many outboard companies share blocks between similar HP motors 50, 60 & 75 for example. On some of the smaller motors the difference between 9.9 and 15 HP can be as simple as how far the throttle advances.

My dad has a 10hp Honda kicker on his Pen Yan itís a great motor.

Jamie

EricB
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
People who by Honda outboards are not of the same ilk as the people who buy (used) Honda cars. The outboard people want quiet, the car people want obnoxious.

Should be another "Real Men Of Genius" commercial for Budwiser -"here's to you Mr. Loud Obnoxios Muffler Maker. Allowing insignificant people to make significant noise without going faster".

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
People who by Honda outboards are not of the same ilk as the people who buy (used) Honda cars. The outboard people want quiet, the car people want obnoxious.

Should be another "Real Men Of Genius" commercial for Budwiser -"here's to you Mr. Loud Obnoxios Muffler Maker. Allowing insignificant people to make significant noise without going faster".

Uh, not all of us "tune" our used Hondas.

/bone stock second hand accord daily driver.

EricB
05-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I did'nt even think you had one!

Hoosier Bob
05-16-2006, 10:07 PM
My garage should read only Honda! Boat is about all that is left. Not going there as we all know (WFT!) I have been there many times before! HONDA! 8p

Mi.mc
05-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Many outboard companies share blocks between similar HP motors 50, 60 & 75 for example. On some of the smaller motors the difference between 9.9 and 15 HP can be as simple as how far the throttle advances.

My dad has a 10hp Honda kicker on his Pen Yan itís a great motor.

Jamie

does that mean i could take my 76 6 horse power johnson outboard and make it into say a 10?

Hoosier Bob
05-16-2006, 10:36 PM
May be off topic but Honda may be moving to Indiana! Factory should put out 200,000 units per year! I don't know what they are producing (auto's of some kind)but we can use the opportunity!

ski36short
05-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Make sure you get a tach at least a foot in diameter too!

Leroy
05-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Hmmm, I never wanted obnoxious in any of my 3 Hondas

JDK
05-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Did you know that Honda Outboards are civic engines turned sideways and ported different to make the different HP.

It's more than just the Civic engines they do this with. It says right in their ad. that the 225 hp. OB is based on their Odyssey mini-van engine.
http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF225

Workin' 4 Toys
05-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Uh, not all of us "tune" our used Hondas.
Yeah, but the desire has GOT to be there.......:D All the kids love 'em....

Workin' 4 Toys
05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
My garage should read only Honda! Boat is about all that is left. Not going there as we all know (WFT!) I have been there many times before! HONDA! 8p
Yes,
And in the front yard on a pole, a white flag with a red dot in the middle......

Workin' 4 Toys
05-17-2006, 10:16 AM
May be off topic but Honda may be moving to Indiana! Factory should put out 200,000 units per year! I don't know what they are producing (auto's of some kind)but we can use the opportunity!
Also new (http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=141&ArticleID=26447) If they built the plant next to this one, I could get ALL my range targets from the same area.....8p

LakePirate
05-17-2006, 11:41 AM
It's more than just the Civic engines they do this with. It says right in their ad. that the 225 hp. OB is based on their Odyssey mini-van engine.
http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF225

Very Interesting.