PDA

View Full Version : X-80 STS Saltwater, Muffler By-Pass?

goplay
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I have on order a twin engine, saltwater version and the dealer mentioned that the saltwater versions come with a muffler by-pass switch that allows the exhaust to be diverted from the normal submerged exhaust, to a dry exhaust bypassing the muffler. Supposed to provide a big off-shore sound in bypass mode, normal quiet operation otherwise.

Is this correct?

I can envision a muffler by-pass, but to divert to a dry exhaust too?

I would also think that the dry exhaust couldn't really be that dry given that it wouldn't exit the boat far enough away from the water.

G-man
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
It is more commonly called thru hull exhaust. Corsa makes most systems. They are great on IO's. Should be fine on your boat.

kalanic
05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Dang Bro! You went for the Wake Cruise Ship! Twin 350's? Have ever drove one on a test drive? I'd love to see that thing perform! Talk about Bling Bling!

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM
i think i saw/heard a boat like that on sunday. when he fired it up it was very loud. then like a drop of a hat it sounded like the exhuast stopped coming out from the sides and started to come out under water form the drive..

BrianS
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
This is typically called Captain's Call exhaust. You can select whether the exhaust exits above or below water. You can select the under water when you are in the harbor or want to be able to talk without yelling. When you are running all out or want to hear those V8's rumble switch to above water.

bcampbe7
05-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Is this something that can be switched on the fly?

goplay
05-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Guys, thanks for your quick responses. Yes, that's right it is a "through hull" exhaust. I am surprised I haven't seen any mention of it from Mastercraft (brochures, web sites, etc)

Yes, I have test driven it. I used to have an X-30, but I wanted something with a deeper V and a little heavier for the big lakes that we are on. We aren't serious wake boarders!

This boat is definitely bling... twin 375hp crusaders! :headbang:

(But you should see my "real" boat a 65' express cruiser).

TMCNo1
05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Has anybody heard from drbrainey lately?????????????????????????

G-man
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
It shouldn't be switched on above 2000 rpms because the thin valves get slapped open and bend. Most people switch them at idle speed.

goplay
05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
It shouldn't be switched on above 2000 rpms because the thin valves get slapped open and bend. Most people switch them at idle speed.

Really? What is the point then, just to idle loudly?

bcampbe7
05-16-2006, 01:53 PM

No, I think he was replying to my question as to when you can switch from under water to above water.

From my understanding, you can run it above water any time.

goplay
05-16-2006, 01:55 PM
No, I think he was replying to my question as to when you can switch from under water to above water.

From my understanding, you can run it above water any time.

Got it! 8p

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 02:06 PM

it seems like most people like to be loud in the marina to show off!

TMCNo1
05-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Slight, minor threadjack!
G-man, does your "Dark Side" boat have those cute little flappers on the exhaust pipe? My dealer told me, that they were there to keep out the rainwater, like on a tractor!

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Slight, minor threadjack!
G-man, does your "Dark Side" boat have those cute little flappers on the exhaust pipe? My dealer told me, that they were there to keep out the rainwater, like on a tractor!

dont all ski boats have those?

TMCNo1
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
dont all ski boats have those?

I guess so, most all inboard skiboat owners are anal about rain getting the exhaust pipes! They also keep fish from building nests in the pipes when they are in the water!

G-man
05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
tmc#1

I only have 1 flapper, I thought it was a form of birth control so I wouldn't need 2 flappers and go to the light

G-man
05-16-2006, 02:59 PM

You can use them at any rpm but should be switched on or off at low rpm. They also make you more man-ly, just ask the owner of the boat or the girls on the boat.

88 PS190
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
the external rubber flappers are to prevent the wall of water that hits the back of your boat from forcing its way into your engine.

G-man
05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
the external rubber flappers are to prevent the wall of water that hits the back of your boat from forcing its way into your engine.

got that tmc#1, "there's your sign"

TMCNo1
05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
If I hit that wall of water, I'll be afraid it will tear up my newly renovated Formica Swimthingboardamagiggystepupnskifrumplatform hanging from the whutmaycallitflangesbrackethanger on the rearbacktransombumper where them there flippityflopflapperflanges are located. Does that mean I should not powerunload if I have a BoatBuddiecatchandhookcradlething?

SkiDog
05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Damnum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: