PDA

View Full Version : Off Season

bradamerry
07-30-2004, 11:43 AM
This was a hot thread on the old board, thought we would get it going here!

Myself, I enjoy some golf (sking takes up 75% of that), alittle hunting and camping is a year around must do for my crew!

jake
07-30-2004, 11:50 AM
First, we try to extend the ski season as long as possible...

When all else fails (ie the lakes become solid)....

woodworking, working out at the gym, dreaming about summer.

OhioProstar
07-30-2004, 11:59 AM
When I can't be on the lake....around middle of Sept. I golf until Dec. switch to snow skiing and then pick golf up in March until ski season starts again. Oh yeah and competitive volleyball....

bcampbe7
07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Golf and snowboarding are about all I do in the offseason. If I put on the drysuit I could wakeboard and ski year round.

mastercraft1995
07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Coach my son in football, baseball, basketball and wrestling. Snow ski, ref basketball games from 2 graders to adults. Anything and everything to do with sports.

lakes Rick
07-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Sit in my recliner, watch wrestling and Spike tv, while eating twinkies and donuts.....

Knoxes
07-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Triathlon, duathlon.

sully
07-30-2004, 12:48 PM
That would be Nascar Season in our House :steering:

bradamerry
07-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Who's you're driver ( if you say Jeff Gordon, you're off the board :uglyhamme )? I still hanging on to my man Rusty :confused: .

jimmer2880
08-02-2004, 02:53 PM
I do 2 sports... Water skiing & Snow skiing. Typically no more than 2 weeks seperating them although it has been as long as 6 weeks in the past.

It's harder to do in the Fall when it's way too cold to water ski, but not enough snow yet to snow-ski than in the spring when all that snow is still around in the 60deg days.

Are there any other sports besides skiing?:banana:

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 04:10 PM
On par with Texas's nearly endless summer, I'm water skiing from mid-March until mid to late November. I try to go snow skiing at least once per year. I usually start cranking out the homebrew when it gets too cold to water ski. If there's any time left over, GTA-Vice City never fails to entertain.

jake
08-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Doug: what does "too cold to ski" mean in Texas?

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 11:51 AM
It means too cold for my wife to drive the boat. Actually, I'm the wimp, but for some, you could most likely ski here every month of the year if you've got the stones for it.

jimmer2880
08-03-2004, 01:49 PM
I was wondering that myself... UP here in Northeren MD - Wife & I typically ski mid-march through late Oct even early Nov.

I think I'm actually addicted to "cold water" (water from 40-60 deg being cold) skiing. Love the feeling you have hours later chilling with the beer.... Body is still feeling the coldness. A train could crash through my bedroom those nights & I wouldn't wake up. :D

Maybe I need to go get some professional help....:huh:

fletch_n_me
08-03-2004, 01:58 PM
H2O then Snow...has always been my motto. Mary Jane at Winter Park is my weekend home from November through April. Frontier airlines has this $1500 package from Chicago to Denver, unlimited flying on a space available basis. If you pick your times, its no problem getting out and you can decide when to go at the drop of a hat. I keep an old Jeep at a friends house that I just grab when I fly in. Barefoot and Bumps, children.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 03:37 PM
I've been looking forward to the cooler months lately simply because the lake is always empty and flat for us then.

MarkP
08-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Doug, I sure will agree with that. Although my season so far has been cold and wet (relatively speaking) I love early and late season skiing for that reason.. I’m already working on my new driver and third, trying to prepare them or talk them into continuing into “late season”

sully
08-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Bradmerry,
We cover all the car manufactures:
Our Chevy favorite, Dale Earnhardt
Our ford favorite, Matt Kennseth
Our Dodge favorite, Ryan Newmann

bradamerry
08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Rusty, Rynn and than just Ford. I'm a ford man. JR is great for the sport, so I like to see him do well.

bradamerry
11-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Here is my FIRST offseason goal!!!! 10 points!!!! Now duck season opens in the morning.

sfitzgerald351
11-12-2004, 09:57 PM
After I've winterized the boat I usually do some sailing with a friend of mine out of Boston Harbor since saltwater doesn't freeze so quick... Telemark skiing is the next sport in line for me. I also do some camping, biking, and beer drinking as alternates.

Leroy
11-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Great looking buck Bradamerry, bow or gun? I don't think shipping venison jerky is against any state law! :)

BriEOD
11-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Hit the trails on the 4-Wheelers.

jpattigr
11-13-2004, 11:18 PM
We live in Canada and it always ski season!! Water for six months and snow for six months.
Our local ski hill that we every weekend is Lake Louise www.skilouise.com
And I do a Cat ski trip every winter which I just booked at www.monasheepowder.com
Powder skiing in the back country is the ultimate ride!! :D

bradamerry
11-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Leroy, gun. I gave up the bow some 10 yrs ago.

mcprostar197
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Ice hockey and some sicky snowboarding

mcprostar197
11-14-2004, 02:09 PM
We live in Canada and it always ski season!! Water for six months and snow for six months.
Our local ski hill that we every weekend is Lake Louise www.skilouise.com
And I do a Cat ski trip every winter which I just booked at www.monasheepowder.com

skiing or riding some sick pow-pow is the best. I have to say i am more passionate about smowboarding than waterskiing and wake boarding, because there is notthing like floating through fresh knee deep pow somewhere in the back country. it IS the ultimate ride

Leroy
11-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Still very difficult sport. I just saw where gun season opened in Indiana.

Leroy, gun. I gave up the bow some 10 yrs ago.

Leroy
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I like snow skiing and snowboard. Best with snow skiing, took up boarding about 4 years ago. I continue indoor soccer at lunch on Tuesday and Friday when in town.

Mag_Red or Hoosier Bob or others: ANyone go to Perfect North outside of Cincinnati? It's 1 1/2 hours away and doesn't compare to 6-8 hour drive, but I go there many times during the winter, if anyone is interested in a winter retreat skiing for a day let me know, normally Xmas before it opens.

I'm back in CA next week and think I'll take my skiis. Boreal is just ~30 minutes from my office there and they have lights. If only I can get out before the lights go out. Anyone ski there?

bradamerry
11-14-2004, 08:33 PM
I have not deer hunted for the past six yrs., but bagging a small buck or a doe is not very had. A wall mount is a different story all together.

sfitzgerald351
11-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Leroy,

I grew up skiing at Tahoe and Donner Summit. I really loved Sugar Bowl, but if you're going after work Boreal is really the only place to go. Especially since it's only a stone throw away from I-80. I hope to be out there in January so save some snow for me!

Knoxes
11-14-2004, 11:49 PM
fitz - what kind of sailboat?

I'm a sailor by birth and a skier by necessity.... it'll always be my first love.

sfitzgerald351
11-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Knoxes,

We sail on a 38 Hinckley. One of 14 made, I believe. It's actually owned by MIT, but hey, I'm happy to sail a nice boat and not have to pay for the expenses.

Here's a photo from a couple of weeks ago... I love sailing when everyone else has pulled their boats from the water and you get the whole ocean to yourself.

jimmer2880
11-15-2004, 07:53 AM
Our local ski hill that we every weekend is Lake Louise www.skilouise.com (http://www.skilouise.com/)
And I do a Cat ski trip every winter which I just booked at www.monasheepowder.com (http://www.monasheepowder.com/)
Sunshine is my favorite resort. Almost moved to Calgary about 5 years ago.

Some day when I can afford it, I'm going to do a cat trip. They look really cool. I'm addicted to the back country/off piste stuff. I don't get many miles in the trees way down south. Here in MD, it only snows on the trails (read - no natural).

betsy&david Harrison
11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh how envious I am of all of you. The snow skiing, sailing, and what ever else you get to do. Me...I get to have my elbows cut open and repaired. First surgery is on the 3rd of Dec. and the 2nd one will be on the 17th of Dec. I am not being sarcastic when I say I am looking forward to this. I should be healed up and rehabed by March or April...just in time to waterski again...with out any pain this coming season. :banana:
I haven't had time to converse with you boys...I have been writing several papers. That will be over in May. A 9G pay raise! :D
Chat with y'all later! Betsy

jimmer2880
11-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Oh how envious I am of all of you. The snow skiing, sailing, and what ever else you get to do. Me...I get to have my elbows cut open and repaired. First surgery is on the 3rd of Dec. and the 2nd one will be on the 17th of Dec. I am not being sarcastic when I say I am looking forward to this. I should be healed up and rehabed by March or April...just in time to waterski again...with out any pain this coming season. :banana:
I haven't had time to converse with you boys...I have been writing several papers. That will be over in May. A 9G pay raise! :D
Chat with y'all later! Betsy
Ouch! What's wrong with your elbows?

tex
11-17-2004, 09:59 AM
putting on and taking off my drysuit, snowboarding, cocktails, and more cocktails!

betsy&david Harrison
11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I had a work related injury. Caught a big girl as she was going down and out with a seizure and it ripped up the medial epicondial tendons. They haven't healed since and both have had plenty of cortisone and rest that hasn't done diddly squat. I'll be like the bionic woman on my ski next season with the new tendon attachments! B

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
I'll add that I'm going to spend a week skiing in Aspen/Snowmass et al. in mid-March. Woo hoo!

jimmer2880
11-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I had a work related injury. Caught a big girl as she was going down and out with a seizure and it ripped up the medial epicondial tendons. They haven't healed since and both have had plenty of cortisone and rest that hasn't done diddly squat. I'll be like the bionic woman on my ski next season with the new tendon attachments! B
That's gotta hurt. Sorry about your luck. Get better - the start of the season is right around the corner!

Rockman
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Tex,

I like the way you think!

This winter for me will consist of hopefully finishing my basement. Since the bar is done, we can now make everything else fit in. :D

Otherwise, my wife and I have been on very busy schedules (but have managed to ski on the weekends) and probably will hit the gym on a consistent basis and try to be home as much as possible this winter and enjoy the house. Been in it three years this coming April and it still feels like an expensive hotel room.

Knoxes
11-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking about surgery. I have a fragmented disk in my neck and I'm really not s'posed to ski so this would be the best time to have it done.

Maybe a half-marathon in February and a duathlon in March.

Work on my swimming.

dmac
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Eat right, try to maintain an excercise regimine through the dark months and visit cardiac patients at the hospital where I was last year. I think the chest will be ready to handle the pull in '05. This year it was not. But hey, I have a new MC to ski behind. That is motivation enough. :D

tex
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Tex,

I like the way you think!

This winter for me will consist of hopefully finishing my basement. Since the bar is done, we can now make everything else fit in. :D

Otherwise, my wife and I have been on very busy schedules (but have managed to ski on the weekends) and probably will hit the gym on a consistent basis and try to be home as much as possible this winter and enjoy the house. Been in it three years this coming April and it still feels like an expensive hotel room.

i wish we had basements here in Texas!