PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Stuck

Ryan
05-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Alright guys, I went to the garage to swap my impeller and I can't get it out. Altough the old one looks brand new, I like to error on the side of caution.

Give me some good tips to get this thing out easily.

Leroy
05-16-2006, 12:32 AM
I've also struggled pulling out perfect looking impellers and I'm not doing it anymore! I'll carry an impeller with me from now on.The two plier method works for me....after 20-30 minutes or so. Grab fins 180 degrees apart and pull, light taps, and spin it by moving the housing or tap the starter with kill switch off.

Kell
05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I have not personally tried this, but I recall one tip I read on here was to squirt some dish soap in the impeller housing and disconnect safety lanyard and crank the motor a few times.

Ryan
05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
I ran a search and couldn't find anything on the phrases I could think of. I'll go try the soap.

jimmer2880
05-16-2006, 05:07 AM
I have put 2 deck screws into the impeller, leaving the heads out enough to put pliers on. Then grabbed a hold & pulled. They can also be used to pry with. That has worked for me on a really bad one.

mbradey
05-16-2006, 07:12 AM
I just put my boat in on Saturday and changed the impeller the same day. It was a 2 hour ordeal. I tried pliers, vice grips, screwdrivers and even tried to thread a big bolt into the center hoping it would cut threads in the brass spines. Nothing worked so I removed the entire unit, just 4 allen bolts and finally removed it in a vice on the workbench. It was 2 vice grips that got it out. I also tried spinning it by bumping the motor. So, if its really tough, take the unit off and work on it on your work bench where you don't have the pylon in the way. It's the only way mine would come out.

bigmac
05-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Although it doesn't work well in my V-drive (not enough muffler clearance), an impeller puller (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=impeller+puller&Ntt=impeller+puller&N=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch) would seem to be a useful device for this problem, especially in a direct drive...

http://images.westmarine.com/full/11643_f.jpg

G-man
05-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Once you get this son of a gun out put silicone grease not spray on the shaft of the pump. The next year when you change it out it will come out much easier. You can grease up the vanes of the impeller before you put it in and it will just slide in.

kalanic
05-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Yes I found out that the puller was useless for me on my V-drive. If your lookin to buy one let me know. Will not work on 2004 X-10! I used needle nose vise grips & some dish soap. Was no fun but came out.

Leroy
05-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Just be careful and do not scratch the gasket edge of the impeller housing.

You guys are confirming my new position of no more impeller changes for my V-drive and carry spare.

#47of100TeamMC
05-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Glad to know I wasn't alone when It took a while to get mine out too. I sprayed some silicone in the houseing and cranked over the motor for a second. That helped, but i still had a vice grip and a screwdriver prying it out. the new one slid right in after spraying a little more lube on the fins. I should have greased the shaft though as was suggested for next year... I will remember that when I am struggling next spring to get this one out too!

1boarder
05-16-2006, 10:04 AM
This is the method I used for my v-drive. I bought a set of needle nose pliers that are a foot long and have a 90 degree turn on the end. Since you hands are away from the muffler, you can get a good strong bite on the impeller. Then I used a screwdriver as a lever to push the needle nose piers towards the muffler. After fighting the impeller for an hour, this method got it out in minutes (after a trip to NAPA to get the pliers).

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I have not personally tried this, but I recall one tip I read on here was to squirt some dish soap in the impeller housing and disconnect safety lanyard and crank the motor a few times.

This has worked for me in the past. Also, grabbing it with needle nosed pliers and pulling has worked for me.

BrianM
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
For direct drives soap up the impeller real good and then crank over the motor for a few seconds. Take two paint can openers and slide one on each side of the hub and then hook behind the impeller. A nice even pull on both of the openers and it slides right out. Takes less than 5 minutes if you are changing the impeller every year. Now if it has been in there for a few seasons then no guarantees. ;)

Kevin 89MC
05-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Brian beat me to it, but someone mentioned this tip here (wish I could remember who), and it works well, at least for me & my friends. Someday I'll have to post a pic for all to see. Get two of the cheap (or free) paint can openers from a paint store, Home Depot, etc. that have a hook on one end and usually a bottle opener at the other. Slide the hooked end in between the impeller vanes, one on each side, until they "hook" behind the impeller. The beer bottle opener ends make good places to grab with your fingers. Give them a pull. Don't pinch fingers on pylon.
This trick (or any means of removal) works best if the engine (and therefore impeller) are warm. I have my impeller out in about 2 seconds in the fall. When I pulled it this spring after sitting ~1 week, it wouldn't budge. Gave the starter a quick bump to move the impeller just a bit, then it popped right out.
Bottom line, if the engine isn't warm from running, bump the starter to move the impeller, then yank it out with 2 paint can openers. Not sure if the v-drives offer enough room for this, but works well on various DD's.
Good luck!

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-16-2006, 10:21 AM
My impeller was new last year installed at dealer. Should I put a new one on this year? I put a little over 20 hours on last season.

thanks for any suggestions

kalanic
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
My impeller was new last year installed at dealer. Should I put a new one on this year? I put a little over 20 hours on last season.

thanks for any suggestions
It should be fine I would say. Most of us include the impeller as just a part of gettin her ready for the season. More of a piece of mind. I changed mine out because I had run the motor out of the water for about 1 minute with no fake-a-lake hooked up. Very stupid! I thought the impeller was toast! It was just fine so now I will use it as a spare. But now I know when I am out there it will be fine.

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I put a new one in each spring. If you left installed all winter, even more reason to replace it. While with only 20 hours, the odds of your having it fall apart are pretty slim, the odds are still less with a new one. At $30 for a new one, it's cheap insurance.

Diesel
05-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I too thought it was over cautious to replace the impeller every year..............that was until one let loose on me. Rubber pieces went throughout the entire engine and were a pain to get out of all the water passages.

The impeller should be removed during winterization and should not be left in the housing all winter. If you did not remove it as part of the winterization process it should definitely be replaced come spring.

I keep last year's as a spare and buy a new one every spring to go in the housing. For $25 it is well worth it for me...............my vacation time is worth way more than $25.

skipaola
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
The deck screw idea is brilliant. I just spent 2 hrs pulling and tugging trying to coax it out. Two deck screws and 5 min later, job was done.
Thanks for the help all!

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 11:44 PM

This has worked for me. Just some soapy water, pull the kill switch and spin. If that doesn't work, grab it in the center with a pair of needle nose tires and yank it out. Just mind the housing.

/edit. Should've looked at the date. You get it out yet?