PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Insurance

Kevin 89MC
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
On a good note, I found out that State Farm can insure my boat for less than I pay to Sea Safe, but they seem to be gouging me on my motorcycle ins. quote. I had it insured a while back, but not for the last few years (wasn't driving it). Getting the itch, so figured I better be covered. It is a '79 Honda CX 500: slow, old, and worth nothing (I got it free) and my riding season will be about 4 months long. They quoted me like $80 for the year. For those of you with cycles, any ideas on where I could get cheaper insurance? Or is this a decent deal?
Thanks,
Kevin

Footin
05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Thats a decent deal. I had liability only on my Vulcan 800 and i think it was about 150.00 per year.

shepherd
05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
$80 sounds pretty good, but check Progressive. They apparently insure a lot of bikes, and gave me the cheapest quote on my new Harley (full coverage).

Hoosier Bob
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I may also have to look into this. I have State Farm and pay $56 for the primary auto, $25 for the bike and $26 for the boat each month for the whole year. None of the vehicles count for multiple and I have been accident free the entire time (19 years)! Homeowners also! :confused: On a good note, I found out that State Farm can insure my boat for less than I pay to Sea Safe, but they seem to be gouging me on my motorcycle ins. quote. I had it insured a while back, but not for the last few years (wasn't driving it). Getting the itch, so figured I better be covered. It is a '79 Honda CX 500: slow, old, and worth nothing (I got it free) and my riding season will be about 4 months long. They quoted me like $80 for the year. For those of you with cycles, any ideas on where I could get cheaper insurance? Or is this a decent deal?
Thanks,
Kevin

michael freeman
05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
On a good note, I found out that State Farm can insure my boat for less than I pay to Sea Safe, but they seem to be gouging me on my motorcycle ins. quote. I had it insured a while back, but not for the last few years (wasn't driving it). Getting the itch, so figured I better be covered. It is a '79 Honda CX 500: slow, old, and worth nothing (I got it free) and my riding season will be about 4 months long. They quoted me like $80 for the year. For those of you with cycles, any ideas on where I could get cheaper insurance? Or is this a decent deal?
Thanks,
Kevin

MC basis it's ins. cost on CCs. If you have a sport bike, they are usually the best choice, BUT if you have a standard bike Harley type, then you want to go to Dairy Land or some other place. I have a CBR 929RR and State Farm is the only place that doesn't see the RR on the end of the name. Dairy land will not even offer me insurance but will give a 1300cc Harley very cheap insurance.

Not sure what a CX 500 is. Is that a dirt bike?

Maristar210
05-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I have Progressive. They are the cheapest in Michigan.....

Steve

Mag_Red
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I was going to say Progressive also. They were cheapest when I had my bike. :twocents: $80 sounds pretty damned cheap though

Workin' 4 Toys
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Best coverages for the best prices have taken me to American Family insurance.
I dropped Allstate like a HOT POTATO!!!

SkiDog
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Man, I'll trade you ANYDAY for $80.00 a year! My bike insurance costs me a whopping $1600.00 per year, with no violations! Course I need to tell you that I have two bikes and one is a Custom Bourget and the other is a Harley roadking. However, Foremost Ins. Co. is a good one! They are the only ones I could find to insure the Bourget.

Kevin 89MC
05-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Well, I checked Progressive, and they were about the same, $78 I think. Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably stick with State Farm. Someday I'll snap a pic of my bike, for a good laugh. It's an old 500 cc road bike, big fairing w/a bunch of scratches, bad paint job from prev. owner, ripped seat, 25,000 miles, etc. I joke with the wife that I'm not driving it to pick up chicks! I got it free, and I honestly don't think I'd be able to sell it for more than a few hundred $, so that's why the insurance is so low.
Skidog, that Bourget is SWEET! :headbang:

Hoosier Bob
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
-How many here can say they have 25k on their bike? Still ticking! I have 14k but hope to have over 100k. Get out and ride! ;) Well, I checked Progressive, and they were about the same, $78 I think. Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably stick with State Farm. Someday I'll snap a pic of my bike, for a good laugh. It's an old 500 cc road bike, big fairing w/a bunch of scratches, bad paint job from prev. owner, ripped seat, 25,000 miles, etc. I joke with the wife that I'm not driving it to pick up chicks! I got it free, and I honestly don't think I'd be able to sell it for more than a few hundred $, so that's why the insurance is so low.
Skidog, that Bourget is SWEET! :headbang: