PDA

View Full Version : transport overseas

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking about buying a mc in the states and take it back to europe . . has anybody done that? . . or can anybody give me advice?

thanks

bigmac
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking about buying a mc in the states and take it back to europe . . has anybody done that? . . or can anybody give me advice?

thanks

The only input I can offer is to try to politlely point out that Canada isn't IN Europe....(even though a lot of Canadians wish it was...)

;)

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
:D . . wow . . thanks . . that helps . .

I live in Canada right now . . but am from Switzerland (which is in Europe . . the last time I checked :rolleyes: ) and am going back there in August . . and I could buy a nice Tristar in Kentucky . . so I'm thinking about to get the boat from Kentucky to Europe . .

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 07:23 PM
PM at you......

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 07:25 PM
PM back at you . . . :D

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Are you looking at the Tri-star that is in the marketplace.

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 07:29 PM
yup . . I'm in contact with the seller . . why? . . any concerns?

edit: but I'm just looking to buy a Tristar "here" . . it doesn't have to be this one . . and then to ship it to europe . . I'm not sure yet if it's a good idea. . so I was wondering if someone had already done this . .

I rather had a cheaper one (maybe with more hours and maybe not in that good shape . . but I have to take what I get . . ;) )

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 08:30 PM
woops . . sorry . . double post

Engine Nut
05-14-2006, 08:36 PM
You better check the import laws in Switzerland. They have some rather strict emissions laws. We have to make a special Emissions kit to be able to operate on certain lakes in Switzerland. Also, the standards for trailers are different in Europe and American trailers do not meet the specifications. You might ask for some advice from a MasterCraft dealer in Switzerland.

The guy to contact is Peter Stock. His e-mail is info@mcservice.ch . You can check out his website at www.mcservice.ch . Peter is a great guy, I have known him for a number of years. He will give you the straight scoop.

Engine Nut

Boogieman
05-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I know . . I know Peter . . he used to service my old boat . . and I also know about the emission laws . . . I'm not that worried about it though . . and for now I just wanna know what it take to get the boat to Switzerland . .

tex
05-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Call Gary Thompson at (865) 453-2158. Tell him that i told you to call. he might be able to help you out. He has several overseas shows and maybe could help you out.
http://www.waterskishowsinc.com/contact_us.html

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
You better check the import laws in Switzerland. They have some rather strict emissions laws. We have to make a special Emissions kit to be able to operate on certain lakes in Switzerland. Also, the standards for trailers are different in Europe and American trailers do not meet the specifications. You might ask for some advice from a MasterCraft dealer in Switzerland.

The guy to contact is Peter Stock. His e-mail is info@mcservice.ch . You can check out his website at www.mcservice.ch . Peter is a great guy, I have known him for a number of years. He will give you the straight scoop.

Engine NutGood to see you around Engine Nut..... Been missing your subject matter expertise.....

Where in TN are you located?

Kevin 89MC
05-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Ah, just throw in a few extra gallons of gas, bring a sandwich & compass, and you'll be there before you know it! Might take a bit longer if you have to tow the trailer though...
Seriously, when I was in Hawaii a whle back, some locals got a SN there, but they said it did cost a fair amount more than shipping a car for whatever reason. Good luck!

Morgs
05-15-2006, 04:47 AM
:D . . wow . . thanks . . that helps . .

I live in Canada right now . . but am from Switzerland (which is in Europe . . the last time I checked :rolleyes: ) and am going back there in August . . and I could buy a nice Tristar in Kentucky . . so I'm thinking about to get the boat from Kentucky to Europe . .

Boogieman, I live in Switzerland and work closely with MasterCraft CH. From my understanding the issue with importing boats into Switzerland is not the cost related to shipping/transport - itís the conversion to Swiss regulations and obtaining Swiss papers for the boat.

I have been told (not confirmed) that it can cost upwards of 10,000 CHF (Swiss francs) or more - about $8k US - to convert the boat and obtain the Swiss papers.

If this is correct, then the costs of shipping, importing and conversion may actually be more than a boat bought here directly.

Peter Stock and or Dieter Hofer - the MC dealers in CH will be able to advise specifics relating to importing. Peterís details are posted above; let me know if you need Dieterís.

phecksel
05-15-2006, 11:37 AM

thanks
Club member just moved his entire household to South Africa, including the MC that had been owned by 4 previous club members. Boat was like family...

Anyway, he had a large container dropped in his driveway, backed the boat up a homebuilt ramp, strapped it down and it arrive four weeks later safe and sound. If you get past the import issues, I can put you in touch with him.

Boogieman
05-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Peter Stock and or Dieter Hofer - the MC dealers in CH will be able to advise specifics relating to importing. Peterís details are posted above; let me know if you need Dieterís.

I have both contacts . . I know them . . but thanks anyway. . . . and . . as I already said . . I'm not too worried about the import issues for the moment (but I'm aware of em . . they can break the whole thing . . I know . . ) . . for now it's only the transport . .

thanks . .