PDA

View Full Version : '86 Skier Questions

daveg
05-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I love the older classic MasterCraft's and got to wondering about '86 Skier. Why was that boat a one year off kind of thing (or at least I think it was)? Was the hull the same as the '87-'90's?? The deck appears to be the same as the up to '85 S&S's. Was it a situation where they had the new hull ready and didn't have the design for the deck yet, or was it meant to be more of a gradual transition to the new design. Also, it wasn't a S&S', and it wasn't a ProStar 190....was it just called a 19' MasterCraft Skier??

I also got to thinking it might be cool to put the S&S's graphics on that boat, and in essence you would have the wake and performance of the new then '87, with the classic appearance of the '85. I mention that because I saw an '86 for sale in WI with no graphics on it, and it just didn't look right. It looked like it was just begging for a new home and a little tlc, and loving those S&S's graphics......Hmmmmm!

BrianM
05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
You have it right. The '86 had the same hull as the 87-90 and the deck of the '85. Don't know exactly why except for it being a transition year. Jrandol used to have a 'naked' (no graphics) '86. He should chime in shortly.

86Craft
05-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't know for sure, but did the company change owners somewhere in that time? I always thought the hull was same as 1985 and below, and they just went to new graphics. Interesting.

tph
05-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't know for sure, but did the company change owners somewhere in that time? I always thought the hull was same as 1985 and below, and they just went to new graphics. Interesting.

Coleman had purchased the company in '84 (I think). I also thought it was the same hull as the '85 but that the company was getting away from the Stars and Stripes theme.

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 03:20 PM
AFAIK...the 86-90 kept the same hull. What changed was (obviously) the graphics as well as a slight change in the chine in order to make a few (needed or not???) changes to the wake charastics, based on the VPH design.

The deck did have some changes to accommodate several different features for venting and lighting.

Otherwise not much else changed as far as I know, other than maybe the windshield and some cosmetics.

Other than by nick reference, the boats were never called S&S.

Skier 19 (or 19 Skier) was the model name. The Prostar 190 came along later.

jayderwin1
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
the 86 is the same boat all around as the 85 the only difference is the graphics. i was the last year of that hull and deck, 87 is the year of the new design.

6ballsisall
05-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I am 99% sure the 86' had the same hull as the prior year 85' models. 87s had the same hull but different deck. Mine was naked (no graphics) and I too contemplated putting S & S graphics on it for giggles. I sold mine to a guy in Minnesota, wonder if it found it's way to WI??

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I am 99% sure the 86' had the same hull as the prior year 85' models. 87s had the same hull but different deck. Mine was naked (no graphics) and I too contemplated putting S & S graphics on it for giggles. I sold mine to a guy in Minnesota, wonder if it found it's way to WI??
1986 is exact same hull as 1985 and prior...just different graphics, only year for the swirl...then in 1987 changed the hull because Coleman wanted to appeal to family oriented boat with more inside goodies...IMO added lots of extra weight to the boat and took awhile to improve slalom wake...those were the BAD Coleman years!!!just like OBrien experienced when Herb OBrien sold out to Coleman...

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks... After a few boats and a few years, it becomes erklized to me... :D

As for Coleman, ....tru dat....however the real weak link was the fact that they had no R&D efforts, just as O'brien lost out then when they took a dump ...............and the LaPoints left both companies.

daveg
05-14-2006, 10:57 PM

Here is a link to the dealer in WI that has the '86 (scroll about halfway down). I was unsuccessful trying to crop and then paste the picture only of the boat, so be forwarned, they are a dealer of a competitive brand and I was a little reluctant to post the link (don't want the moderators after me). Definitely NOT trying to promote another brand. Let us know if it looks like your old boat. I think it would look real good with a red stripe down the sides with stars inside of that!!

http://www.excelwatersports.com/new_used.html

6ballsisall
05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Nope thats not my old boat. I wouldn't give 7k for that one, mine was way cleaner and I didn't sell for much more than that. Just my opinion

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Looks alittle rough......