PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal vs Gas grilling...?

bigmac
05-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Time for the biennial replacement of the rusted-out Weber. I'm contemplating the Big Green Egg. (http://www.biggreenegg.com/) A gas grill is tempting for simplicity and mess, but I think I'd hate to give up the flavor. Opinions? Anybody with experience in Kamado-style cooking (http://www.biggreenegg.com/history.htm) compared to conventional grilling?

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 12:28 PM
We have a natural gas grill that is hooked right up to the house. I love it, never have to wait for hot coals, or change a tank.

JohnnyB
05-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Guys....grilling was meant to be done over charcoal..... :twocents:

I own both a gas grill and a weber. I bought a weber chimney charcoal starter about five years ago and seldom have used my gas grill since.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U9VV/103-9377757-3991857?v=glance&n=286168

You simply cannot beat the flavor you get cooking with indirect coals in a weber and with this charcoal starter, I get perfect coals in about 20min every time. Going to go start it soon to make kabobs for Mother's day lunch :D

If I can find it, i'll post a well blurb from Ducks Unlimited regarding grilling and how God meant meat to be cooked over coals....

quincyfirefighter
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I love my Weber. Only takes about 15 mins to get the coals going with the Chimney :cool:

east tx skier
05-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I have both. Just depends on how much time I have. Charbroiler gas job on one porch, New Braunfels charcoal grill with side smoke box on the other.

When I go gas, I put a little foil pack filled with soaked wood chips on the side.

JimN
05-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I guess we missed the boat on marketing the Chimney. My dad used a 3 pound coffee can that had holes punched around the bottom with a can opener to start charcoal as far back as I can remember, and that would put me at about 3-4 years old. All it needed was a handle and some chrome or stainless and we wouldabeenrich! Gas is convenient, charcoal is only slightly less so but harder to clean. More flavor with coals but with a smoke box, gas is OK.

Doug- you have any good marinades for pork ribs? I don't have any sources for mesquite up here.

east tx skier
05-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Jim, I really don't do much with ribs. I've got a friend who swears that boiling them a little beforehand makes them super tender.

Try this.

3 T paprika
2tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder

JimN
05-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I forgot- Texas = beef. Speaking of which, did I already ask about good brisket rubs?

Is this what you use as a general rub?

shepherd
05-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Gas grill here for convenience, stainless since we live in a "salty" environment, though I prefer charcoal for taste and smell.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Guys....grilling was meant to be done over charcoal..... :twocents:

I own both a gas grill and a weber. I bought a weber chimney charcoal starter about five years ago and seldom have used my gas grill since.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U9VV/103-9377757-3991857?v=glance&n=286168

You simply cannot beat the flavor you get cooking with indirect coals in a weber and with this charcoal starter, I get perfect coals in about 20min every time. Going to go start it soon to make kabobs for Mother's day lunch :D

If I can find it, i'll post a well blurb from Ducks Unlimited regarding grilling and how God meant meat to be cooked over coals....

I agree about the charcoal. My partner has a Holland gas grill on natural gas. Nice unit, and he loves it, but just not the same flavor.

The chimney is a great device. The Big Green Egg I've been contemplating uses lump charcoal, and the lack of binders that are typically found in Kingsford etc makes for far less residue and 10 minute starts with either a MAPP, starter cubes, elecric, or chimney. Another advantage to those ceramic cookers is that you can periodically run them up to 700 degrees and clean them like a self-cleaning oven.

The question may end up being moot. My wife (who does at least half the outdoor cooking), is kind of opposed to a gas grill, as it turns out...

TMCNo1
05-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Charbroil Commercial S/S gas grill at home, 24" $6.00 Charcoal grill for boat owner reunions, nothing but the best for our fellow TMC members!
Serious hamburgrers and hot dogs on Thursday night at the motel next to the pool!

Larryp
05-14-2006, 05:29 PM
If you ain't cookin' over pecan your missing out. Throw that gas grill and weber out. Get you a Texas habachie.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Big Mac, uh.......I didnt see an UMP option in this poll.......so what gives here...... :mad: :confused: :confused:

bigmac
05-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Big Mac, uh.......I didnt see an UMP option in this poll.......so what gives here...... :mad: :confused: :confused:

UMP, I can only apologize. After I posted the poll, I realized that I should have PM'd you to have you do it. I totally forgot to add the UMP option.

peason
05-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I love my weber gas grill. May get a charcoal grill in the future - when I get more patience.

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Charcoal=better flavor
Gas=more convenient.
I use Gas Grill.

Kevin 89MC
05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Gas for throwing burgers/brats/kabobs on quick after work (or in the winter), but charcoal when we have time. Charcoal is better, but I'd rather do gas than skip it. Recently picked up a free Weber "smokey joe" that will be great for evening dinners at our local gravel pit ski lake! :D

sizzler
05-15-2006, 05:47 AM
i use a gas grill for my breakfast......and then put the charcoal smoker on all day for the evening food......... :headbang:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
UMP, I can only apologize. After I posted the poll, I realized that I should have PM'd you to have you do it. I totally forgot to add the UMP option.
Dude, its OK. :) I forgive you! :D Dont forget, you can light up the bat signal anytime you need me. :cool:

bigmac
05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Dude, its OK. :) I forgive you! :D Dont forget, you can light up the bat signal anytime you need me. :cool:Well, I was able to stumble my way through the poll creation this time, but I won't take that chance again :)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I would like to build an all brick fireplace with gas log starter, and built in grill in the back yard.
From my design, I could have the best of all worlds, fireplace, gas & charcoal grill, and smoker all in the same unit, and probably have less invested than the new Genesis I just got.
At least that is what I was thinking when I got it.... I hope I don't have to wait for "it" to rust out before I can start....:rolleyes:

Then again, that egg looks like a good idea...:o

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I forgot- Texas = beef. Speaking of which, did I already ask about good brisket rubs?

Is this what you use as a general rub?

That's a pork rub. And yes, most of the smoking/grilling I do is beef. I can get you a brisket rub that I've actually used when I get home. Try to find the "Southern Living BBQ edition." Tons of great rubs, marinades and BBQ Sauce recipes in there. That's where I got the pork rub (above).

JimN
05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
I used a modified version (I added cumin) of the rub you posted yesterday on some pork ribs and it was good. It was raining so I just stuck them in the oven in a covered dish and put some home-made sauce on them, then put them under the broiler. I could have just yanked the bones out instead of cutting them. I think I need to find a better grocery store- the brisket mine has is pretty pitiful.

twieder
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
All this talk about food.... Mmmm, Hungry need FOOOOOOD!

sanjuan23
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Could there been anything better than a great BBQ debate? Own a Weber Genesis Silver with the side burner for just about everything. Add the smoke box to help the flavor. Rubs and marinade key for Gas Grillin'. On the other hand if I have the time the Weber Kettle comes out for others. And when I really have the time (all day) fire up the "Old Tyme" Smoker and fit just about everything I can think of for the smoke box. Favorite thing right now is the beer can chicken. Simple and great flavor. Just throw on the "Gordon's grub rub" a little indirect heat for about 1 and half hours and you have a meal for four. Greatest thing about grilling in my opinion is the less mess in the kitchen.

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
For some good recipes and discussion related to "Q" check out this site. I'd avoid mentioned grilling though ;)

www.thesmokering.com

mattsn
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I used a "gasser" for many years. Recently converted to a large Big Green Egg. Bought one for my son. The BGE is the ultimate in outdoor cooking. Cleaner then my gasser and far less mess.

Cook Ribs, steaks, standing rib, Beer Butt Chicken, veggies, etc. Also use to stone bake pizzas!!

Lump charcoal and various rubs make this great.

TMCNo1
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
i use a gas grill for my breakfast......and then put the charcoal smoker on all day for the evening food......... :headbang:

There isn't anything better than scrambled eggs on the grill for breakfast and spagetti for supper!

bigmac
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
I used a "gasser" for many years. Recently converted to a large Big Green Egg. Bought one for my son. The BGE is the ultimate in outdoor cooking. Cleaner then my gasser and far less mess.

Cook Ribs, steaks, standing rib, Beer Butt Chicken, veggies, etc. Also use to stone bake pizzas!!

Lump charcoal and various rubs make this great.

Ah, eggcellent...

I've been perusing the internet for various forums on Kamado-style cooking and the BGE in particular. I've been impressed with the absence of negative comments about it, this being the internet and all. It seems to me that the BGE addresses the things I dislike about outdoor cooking very well (mess, long startup, uneven heating, rusting out grills...).

http://hearth.com/homehearth/egg.jpg

phecksel
05-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Who needs a friggin charcoal lighting device?

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Scroll down to cooking hamburgers and lighting grill

Heres the link to the movie
http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/grill1.mpeg

LakePirate
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I know a use for gas,

Take your propane burner, set the charcoal chimney on it, lite the burner, smolder the charcoal. Works like a champ.

_DiZZ_
05-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Boiling them works great if you dont have the 4 hrs to properly cook them.

Jim, I really don't do much with ribs. I've got a friend who swears that boiling them a little beforehand makes them super tender.

Try this.

3 T paprika
2tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder

_DiZZ_
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I have use only charcoal and wood... I have a Weber and a Charbroil smoker. Check out Barbeques Galore http://www.bbqgalore.com/ They have a good verity of rubs and sauces. And you can pick up bags of solid woods for serous smoking.

Farmer Ted
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Time for the biennial replacement of the rusted-out Weber. I'm contemplating the Big Green Egg. (http://www.biggreenegg.com/) A gas grill is tempting for simplicity and mess, but I think I'd hate to give up the flavor. Opinions? Anybody with experience in Kamado-style cooking (http://www.biggreenegg.com/history.htm) compared to conventional grilling?

BigMac,

I've had a BGE since 1998, currently we have a large and a mini.

The mini is good for cooking a steak or two as it doesn't consume as much coal

It's nearly impossible to screw something up that's cooked on the Egg.

We smoke, roast, grill, and bake on ours.

You'll definatley want to get a plate setter and pizza stone from BGE, this will allow you to cook indirect or bake pizzas.

check out there forum, it will shorten the learning curve

also, Big Green Egg is the MasterCraft of BBQs!!!

bigmac
05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
BigMac,

I've had a BGE since 1998, currently we have a large and a mini.

The mini is good for cooking a steak or two as it doesn't consume as much coal

It's nearly impossible to screw something up that's cooked on the Egg.

We smoke, roast, grill, and bake on ours.

You'll definatley want to get a plate setter and pizza stone from BGE, this will allow you to cook indirect or bake pizzas.

check out there forum, it will shorten the learning curve

also, Big Green Egg is the MasterCraft of BBQs!!!

I've been reading their forum - certainly a lot of satisfied customers. I can feel myself being pulled into the Cult of The Big Green Egg

I appreciate all the input here - I agree, what could be a better off-topic subject on this board than outdoor cooking? I confess to being surprised, though - with this many Texans and Southern Folk, I'm surprised that gas cooking won out.

Farmer Ted
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I've been reading their forum - certainly a lot of satisfied customers. I can feel myself being pulled into the Cult of The Big Green Egg

I appreciate all the input here - I agree, what could be a better off-topic subject on this board than outdoor cooking? I confess to being surprised, though - with this many Texans and Southern Folk, I'm surprised that gas cooking won out.

The poll is sort of flawed, you didn't distiguish between briquette and lump charcoal.

I can fire up the Egg and have it up to 400 in about 10 minutes, cook what ever, close it off and choke the fire and over 75% of the charcoal is there for the next cook.

Can't do that with briquettes

The thing I like most about the Egg is the flavor it imparts on the food, even if you don't use chunks to "smoke" the food it will still have the "brick oven" taste from the lump charcoal

I notice it more if food that has been egged gets reheated in the microwave.

Like I said, I got mine back in 1998. I was living in England and stumbled on their webpage. Read every post and comment I could and called BBQ Galore in Las Vegas ordered one and told them I'd be there in two weeks to pick it up.

Have not regetted it at all.

bucky
05-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't have anything really to add, so I'll just jack up my post count by saying:

On the road, I love my charcoal. We're in a transition zone in SE Oklahoma, so I can get any wood, and the flavor is killer. Like Farmer, I can bottle it up and have most of the charcoal there for next time (just a cheapo grill, working toward the BGE)
That being said, I only cook on gas at home. The ashes just are too much of a mess, and get all over my porch and car.

jmyers
05-15-2006, 08:20 PM
For convience I have gas, but prefer the good old charcoal! Now it is turn the knob, push the button and wal-lah! :D

bigmac
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
The poll is sort of flawed, you didn't distiguish between briquette and lump charcoal.

Yes, key point, I'm told. Lump charcoal instead of Kingsford or similar, which has a lot of binders and residue, which results in a lot of ash. I was talking to one BGE owner who claims to get 40-60 hours of grilling out of one bag of lump charcoal.

Farmer Ted
05-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Yes, key point, I'm told. Lump charcoal instead of Kingsford or similar, which has a lot of binders and residue, which results in a lot of ash. I was talking to one BGE owner who claims to get 40-60 hours of grilling out of one bag of lump charcoal.

40-60 hours on one bag sounds high, it depends on what type of lump you can get your hands on. Although I've never timed how long a bag lasts I think it's safe to say that one 20lb of good lump (BGE/Royal Oak or Ozark Oak) will last at least 7 or 8 grillings as long as you remember to choke the fire as soon as you're done cooking

If you do end getting one, be very careful the first time you grill steaks or anything at high heat. The Egg will bite you when you open the lid if you don't "burp" it first.....

here's a good video of a flashback
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.wmv

Good info...
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

bucky
05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
That was some serious bottle opening that grill in the video was set up for.:friday: :friday: :friday::friday:
...If you do end getting one, be very careful the first time you grill steaks or anything at high heat. The Egg will bite you when you open the lid if you don't "burp" it first.....

here's a good video of a flashback
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.wmv

Good info...
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm