PDA

View Full Version : Relief of Poison Ivy

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 10:46 PM
anyone else get poision ivy bad like i do???got into it this past sunday and thought i washed off well enough, sure enough started showing up tuesday now itching is driving me crazy!!!

this is what has worked in the past, called Oral Ivy http://www.oralivy.com

actually an extract from the leaves itself, works great as a preventative and keeps the itching crazy down...does anyone else use this???

attached is an article about it in PDF format...

Hoosier Bob
05-13-2006, 11:04 PM
My dad use to use axle grease and gun powder ( He is 77 years old!)! I think it just turned the poison ivy into 2nd degree burns! :o

Footin
05-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Windex?????

I worked in a movie.

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 11:07 PM
My dad use to use axle grease and gun powder ( He is 77 years old!)! I think it just turned the poison ivy into 2nd degree burns! :o
so do i apply the axle grease first, then the gun powder???

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Windex?????I worked in a movie.
likely story, cures everything right?!?even a hangover, better than blue gatorade...

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:08 PM

No Sh**??????? Really??? :eek:

Hoosier Bob
05-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Man in the old days I think gunpowder cured all! I will call him in the morning! I am with the rest that acid, ammonia or even bleach is better than PI! Sorry for your situation but like skunk juice I think you may be screwed! :o so do i apply the axle grease first, then the gun powder???

Farmer Ted
05-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Windex?????

I worked in a movie.

How about.....

My Big Fat East Texas Wedding

http://www.303products.com/tech/images/products/protectantgroup275.jpg

Footin
05-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Thats funny.

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Careful there Farmer. You could end up with pink spots!! :uglyhamme

Footin
05-13-2006, 11:24 PM
How about 303?

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
How about.....

My Big Fat East Texas Wedding

http://www.303products.com/tech/images/products/protectantgroup275.jpg
303 cures all!!!

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Careful there Farmer. You could end up with pink spots!! :uglyhamme
NO PINK!!! :wavey:

JimN
05-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Poison Ivey oil has a cumulative effect, so you have probably had it on you before but it may not have been a problem. Calamine lotion works, maybe hydrocortozone, too..

Leroy
05-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Calamine lotion and time.

Interesting homeopathic article. Guess you did not take a dose on the last break out?

JimN
05-14-2006, 01:35 AM
And beer, or whatever.

Evan Jones
05-14-2006, 06:26 AM
I get it pretty bad too. When it happens, especially in the hot hot summer, I get my doctor to prescribe prednisone. Dries it right up and stops the itching. I don't like going on the 'roids too often, but this ivy stuff is a real pain.

TMCNo1
05-14-2006, 08:51 AM
I get it pretty bad too. When it happens, especially in the hot hot summer, I get my doctor to prescribe prednisone. Dries it right up and stops the itching. I don't like going on the 'roids too often, but this ivy stuff is a real pain.

Same as you, every year for about 3 weeks, I can look at it and get it all over. But, remember if you do use Prednisone [steriods] you can't compete in the Oympics! :eek:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-14-2006, 09:44 AM
When it happens, especially in the hot hot summer, I get my doctor to prescribe prednisone. Dries it right up and stops the itching.
That's the only thing that works for me once I get it. If I know I've come in contact with the plants, a good scrubbing with Fels Naptha soap asap seems to really lessen the severity of the rash and blisters.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 09:56 AM
But, remember if you do use Prednisone [steriods] you can't compete in the Oympics! :eek:

Prednisone isn't an anabolic steroid. He still might be able to compete if he has a note from his doctor. We'd better let the USOC know... :)

Tom023
05-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Your doctor can also get you Dermatop to apply, seems to work well.

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Ivy Dry.. OTC....

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Your doctor can also get you Dermatop to apply, seems to work well.
have to check that one out, never heard of it before http://www.dermik.com/products/dermatop/Index.jsp

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Ivy Dry.. OTC....
doesn't work to kill the itchin' for me which drives me crazy!!!

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 06:17 PM
pred works great for me, but my stupid doctor wants to only prescribe it when it gets BAD, thinks i'm using the juice every spring/fall when i get into it!!!gotta call and bug again tomorrow...

River Rat
05-14-2006, 06:27 PM
The best thing is to not get in the first place! When we work in the yard and get into it I take a shower and scrub real good with GoJo. It removes the Ivy oil out of your skin. If I get it it's normaly real bad (have to go get a shot from the Doc.)but GoJo has kept it off of me for about 6 or 7 tears now. (Knock on wood)

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 06:48 PM
The best thing is to not get in the first place! When we work in the yard and get into it I take a shower and scrub real good with GoJo. It removes the Ivy oil out of your skin. If I get it it's normaly real bad (have to go get a shot from the Doc.)but GoJo has kept it off of me for about 6 or 7 tears now. (Knock on wood)
i agree not to get it in the first place...think the problem this time is had some open cuts from multiflora rose bushes then got into ivy so got into my bloodstream...even though washed it right away...so broke out randomly even in covered places, but worst right where skin scratches were...we were running 5 strand electric rope fencing for our sheep, horses, donkey and llamas...

what type of shot do you get from doc, mine only prescribes prednisone...says no shot exists...

bigmac
05-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Poisen ivy is a contact dermatitis, so open cuts won't have any additional effect. It doesn't travel through the bloodstream.

Treatment can be topical steroids like hydrocortisone creams/ointments, oral steroids like prednisone or Medrol-Dosepak (a tapering oral dose, and best suited for this problem IMHO) or Solu-Medrol in extreme cases, which can given IM or IV.

BuoyChaser
05-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Poisen ivy is a contact dermatitis, so open cuts won't have any additional effect. It doesn't travel through the bloodstream.

Treatment can be topical steroids like hydrocortisone creams/ointments, oral steroids like prednisone or Medrol-Dosepak (a tapering oral dose, and best suited for this problem IMHO) or Solu-Medrol in extreme cases, which can given IM or IV.
how do i educate my doctor???thinks i'm a baby until it gets to skin eating bacteria, then he says ohh yeahh guess you do get it bad!!!

Mi.mc
05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Lots and lots of roundup... whenever you see it popping up.

For me i find that if i use some hydrocortizone and cover the skin so I don't rub at it then it leaves fairly quickly.

Salt and vinegar in water seem to remove it rabidly.

mbeach
05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Poison Ivey oil has a cumulative effect, so you have probably had it on you before but it may not have been a problem. Calamine lotion works, maybe hydrocortozone, too..
jim is on track. cortozine shots if you are in dire straits; otherwise hydotcortozone ointment with benadril caplules. i know i have a real problem with poison ivey and did not contract it until my 40's even being an avid hunter in florida. now it gives me fits. from what i understand, each time you contract it becomes progressively worse. hard to do, but keep hands off and use a topical ointment as benadril to help control itch. time will heal it -- be patient.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
how do i educate my doctor???thinks i'm a baby until it gets to skin eating bacteria, then he says ohh yeahh guess you do get it bad!!!

Ask him about a Medrol Dosepak. It's a tapering dose of oral corticosteroid (methylprednisolone). It would be used in severe cases of contact dermatitis if local remedies (calamine) or topical steroids (hydrocortisone) don't control it well enough. It's powerful stuff, I understand his reluctance. OTOH, some people react very violently to poisen ivy and systemic steroids may well be appropriate in those cases.

oldschool84
05-15-2006, 09:37 AM
GAS MAN, one of my friends gets it really bad every year and old 87 octane is what he puts on it. Seams to work for him, other than he smells like gas for about three days :rant: NO rides in the MC for him :purplaugh

BuoyChaser
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Ask him about a Medrol Dosepak. It's a tapering dose of oral corticosteroid (methylprednisolone). It would be used in severe cases of contact dermatitis if local remedies (calamine) or topical steroids (hydrocortisone) don't control it well enough. It's powerful stuff, I understand his reluctance. OTOH, some people react very violently to poisen ivy and systemic steroids may well be appropriate in those cases.
calamine and hydrocortisone doesn't help much...fortunately not warm out otherwise gets worse...

will have him check on the Medrol Dosepak...found this http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20M)/MEDROL.html

Leroy
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
THere is poison ivy killer and it is some of the strongest weed killer I have seen.This thread is getting funnier every day!

BuoyChaser
05-15-2006, 10:06 AM
THere is poison ivy killer and it is some of the strongest weed killer I have seen.This thread is getting funnier every day!
yahh but we'd have to buy it by the 55gallon drum...we've got 17 acres at my in-laws and probably a good 5 acres of ivy spread throughout...good 'ole new england farms...we have sheep that eat it like candy, but never been able to get the fencing in all area for them to eat it...just finished fencing around the entire area last weekend, HENCE THE POISON IVY!!!

just lovin' my woolies munchin' away!!!

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 10:12 AM
LOL re: 303! As for Windex, don't laugh, but it works great on bee or wasp stings (it's got ammonia in it).

For poison ivy, my wife picked up two things (can't remember the name) for me when I got into some on both fee last year. One is a scrub and the other is a cream. The product begins with a "Z" and she got it at Walgreen's.

Hoosier Bob
05-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Two timer! :o
yahh but we'd have to buy it by the 55gallon drum...we've got 17 acres at my in-laws and probably a good 5 acres of ivy spread throughout...good 'ole new england farms...we have sheep that eat it like candy, but never been able to get the fencing in all area for them to eat it...just finished fencing around the entire area last weekend, HENCE THE POISON IVY!!!

just lovin' my woolies munchin' away!!!

twieder
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I used to get it just from looking at it! And bad too!!! Eyes swelled shut and in mouth,not to mention other "places"! Itchy tongue sucks!

I don't get it as bad any more, but wen i see the first sign, I use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and scratch the blisters open and watch em foam! Wash with hot soapy water, blot dry and apply alittle Ivy Dry and its gone in 2 days. Peroxide kills it and Ivy Dry stops the itching.

I'm no Dr. but it works for me!

boatless
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
To get rid of the itch for more than an hour or so. Turn on your hot tap water, let it get hot but not too hot to burn you. Place your infected area through the not too hot running water. It will make you feel really good then the itch would go away for awhile. Try it.

LakePirate
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
No need for all of the industrial strength soaps. Regular ol' Dial will wash it off. I don't get it, but others in the family use that method and it works.

BrianS
05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
For poison ivy, my wife picked up two things (can't remember the name) for me when I got into some on both fee last year. One is a scrub and the other is a cream. The product begins with a "Z" and she got it at Walgreen's.

East TX Skier always has the right answer. The scrub is called Zanfel (http://www.zanfel.com/). It is a wash that is specially made to bond to the oil from a ivy plant and wash it away. Normal soap will not. Wash the infected spot with this stuff and the itching will stop and it will dry up in a few days. Once the oil is gone there is no more irritation.

dog paw
05-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Gunpowder! LOL! Gotta love the old timers. Just make sure you don't have a sulfa allergy. Can't beat the Medrol dose pac if you get it bad. My wife gets it real easy. She helped me with firewood one year and got blisters the size of a coke can on her arms

bcampbe7
05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
A co-worker got it on his hands and such and rubbed his eyes before he realized what it was. :eek:
He was pretty sick for about a week or so.

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I've been fortunate enough to never get into that stuff. A few weeks ago I was headed over to my neighbors help finish up cutting up some trees he recently downed. They finished by the time I got there and I was glad! They ended up getting hit hard with the poison ivy. He was itching for weeks!
A few days later we were at their house and I leaned against his back railing on his deck. My arms broke out something fierce. Some of the oils must have gotten on his deck. I just ran home and took a shower and put some calomine lotion on them, done deal

atlfootr
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Once you get it, "poision ivy" you learn quickly to look @ Ivy everywhere for it.