PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Sanford area (N. Orlando); Lakes with slalom courses?

dwe
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll be moving back to the Sanford / Lake Mary area in a year when I graduate, and was wondering if anyone knew of any local lakes with slalom courses on them. I know Lake Mary doesn't, and I don't think Lake Sylvan does anymore.

Thanks!

Davo
05-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I know a couple people that live on small private lakes in the area with courses. I don't know of any public lakes with courses.

I grew up in LM on the big lake and I've got a buddy who lives on Sylvan, but I haven't been out there yet.

shepherd
05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't know of anything on the north side, but Lake Conway (southeast close to the airport) has a slalom course and public access. Unfortunately the lake gets pretty busy with wakeboarders and waverunners.

Once I found a course on Lake Ivanhoe (just north of downtown) but it was missing a few buoys and the end of the course was verrrry close to shore. Don't know if it's still there.

dwe
05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Davo - I spent a lot of time on big LM when I was in elementary/middle school. My friend's grandmother (Duryea) lived on the lake, and we had a boat just big enough to kneeboard/fish from. Sylvan had a course on it when I was in high school, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Shepherd - Last time I drove past Ivanhoe, the course wasn't there anymore. I learned to ski on that lake, and the ski shop used to maintain the course and give lessons. My sister lives in windermere, and gets on the (butler?) chain of lakes through the orange county sportsmans club. One of the lakes on the chain had a course when I visited recently, it was missing a few bouys though.

TMCNo1
05-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Back in the day, Lake Ivanhoe was a ProTour 3 event stop, but it only was a 4 bouy course because of the lake size and was used by the ski shop for demo runs. Now with all the other tournament sites and training lakes in the area, the Lake Ivanhoe site has been removed.

Davo
05-17-2006, 09:55 AM
TMCno1 - I went to more than a few of those tourneys at Ivanhoe.....my favorites were the kneeboard and barefoot sections. :cool:

DWE, small world man - I used to fish the lake with those boys (JD and CD). PM me when you get back in town if you want to hook up....we live on a small lake not far from the ol' stomping grounds. We don't have a course, but we freeski, barefoot and mostly wakeboard.

dwe
05-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I never knew Ivanhoe was only 4 buoys; when I said I learned to ski there, I meant it in the most basic sense. They taught me to get up on a slalom ski.

Small world indeed. I might have fished with you at some point; me and CD were out on the lake every chance we got. I'll drop you an email when I get closer to moving.