PDA

View Full Version : Blowers dead

Buy_Low
05-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Hello again! I took my new MC out a few weeks ago and noticed that the blowers did not work. I just opened the engine compartment and let it air before I started it up. I'll be back on the water again this weekend and was wondering how dangerous it was to not have them operating. On my other MC's I always ran them for a good bit for safe measures before I started the engine. Any thoughts?

TMCNo1
05-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Always run the blower a few minutes before cranking and when you are idling around.
Gas fumes are heavier than air and will collect down low in the bilge, if you just open the motor cover some may escape but there could be fumes forward and aft of the engine under the flooring that may still ignite if there is a spark and they have not been removed!
Pull the blower and use a independent 12v power source to see if the blower is dead, then check with a volt meter across the + and - blower leads to see if you have power to the blower. If you have power to the blower and the blower works, check the circuit breaker on the dash or the wire connection on the back of the switch. You may want to check the breaker and switch first. I had a on/off problem a few years back with the blower on and found the connector for the blower on the back of the switch was flopping on the terminal, tightened the connector and all is fine now.

Hoosier Bob
05-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I have been around after my friends MC burned to the water line. I am overly anal but I run my blower almost anytime the boat is running. Ebay they are $15.00, local they are $20 and I have not burned one up yet. Just above idle and below will not vent the engine compartment. Better safe than sorry and it is a very quick change. All of this said I also have buddies that barely use theirs! :confused:

erkoehler
05-12-2006, 01:46 AM
might as well plug www.skidim.com

Easy fix, but get it done ASAP, don't want any acciddents.

Farmer Ted
05-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Attwood Turbo 3000

should run about $20

good luck finding the deutsch connectors, if you do find them let me know where you got them

Davo
05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Mine makes a squeeling noise - I've been meaning to spray some silicone lube in the fan to see if that helps. Good idea or bad?

I could always just change it out if that doesn't work.

What's this about special connectors?

WTRSK1R
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Lubricant will reduce the squeele for a while, but it will come back before the summer is out, or at least that is what happened to me. For the cost, I would just change it out.

Steve

BeavenX5
05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Run a little test at the switch before changing the blower unit. I had the same problem last year: blower not working. The trouble was a defective switch and not the blower.
I used the unused accessory switch for a week on the blower before getting a new switch. I got a generic switch from my local Mercury dealer as it was the same manufacturer as MC and just changed the face with the old OEM MC blower button. It was a lot less trouble then going all the way to the MC dealer (and probably cheaper). The generic (don't remember the name) and MC switch are absolutely identical except for the button.
:twocents:

JohnnyB
05-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Read the thread title and was expecting to be extending condolences on the passing of your wife :eek: :D