PDA

View Full Version : towing the distance

bfrank
05-11-2006, 06:47 PM
last year I purchased my first Mastercraft 1996 PS 190 LT1 w/ 120 hrs. Very, very happy! I am getting ready to tow my boat across the US. NC to AZ. I was wondering if anyone knows of a trailerable cover that can be purchased (non custom) that will wrap down the sides of the boat (skirts?) to protect the boat from road debris etc?

erkoehler
05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Some recommend shrink wrapping the boat, but you might want to just have the bow shrink wrapped, the rest should be fine.

Otherwise, www.skiboatcovers.com has good covers.

bigmac
05-11-2006, 06:54 PM
last year I purchased my first Mastercraft 1996 PS 190 LT1 w/ 120 hrs. Very, very happy! I am getting ready to tow my boat across the US. NC to AZ. I was wondering if anyone knows of a trailerable cover that can be purchased (non custom) that will wrap down the sides of the boat (skirts?) to protect the boat from road debris etc?

For a big trip like that, I would consider having the boat shrink-wrapped (with vents). I'd be concerned that any cover, especially a non-custom cover, would flap and potentially abrade areas of gelcoat.

bfrank
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
shrink wrapping is one thought. Still worried about rock chips on the bow. I wonder if I could stick in some flexable foam on the bow before being wrapped. You can tell I love my boat. I would really like to have it shipped, but it costs way, way to much. I have been getting quotes from $3,300 to $4,700...

rodltg2
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
ive seen nautique's woht covers like that, i dont know if that specific to those boats or not.

erkoehler
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
shrink wrapping is one thought. Still worried about rock chips on the bow. I wonder if I could stick in some flexable foam on the bow before being wrapped. You can tell I love my boat. I would really like to have it shipped, but it costs way, way to much. I have been getting quotes from $3,300 to $4,700...

You should be able to put foam or a layer of towels under the shrink if you want. Just make sure that if it rubs on the hull it won't scratch it.

rodltg2
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
you and your towels erk.

TRBenj
05-12-2006, 01:10 AM
You may want to check out Rankin covers. Many people seem to think they are the only non-custom cover that is truly trailerable. Theyre not cheap, but seem comparable to custom covers, and dont require straps, poles or snaps. They wont cover the platform due to their wratcheting design, but otherwise seem to be superior to all other covers on the market. Theyre made with sunbrella, IIRC.

JDK
05-12-2006, 02:56 AM
I would never tarp a boat on a trip like that. It's a lot easier to clean a dirty hull and interior than repair gelcoat damage.

sand2snow22
05-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Don't forget good mud flaps.

quincyfirefighter
05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Check out Overtons. They have a Hull Shield for sale for $119.99 that claims to protect against Bugs,Rock Chips and Road Tar. Have not try one but for the price who knows ;)

vegashomeexpert
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Some recommend shrink wrapping the boat, but you might want to just have the bow shrink wrapped, the rest should be fine.

Otherwise, www.skiboatcovers.com has good covers.
Looks like they are very proud of their covers! :eek:

east tx skier
05-12-2006, 10:53 AM
However you go about it, I wouldn't use a "trailerable" cover for the trip. It can be like sand paper on the deck.

Tennesseeski
05-13-2006, 08:00 PM
If you go the shrink wrap route, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT SEVERAL TIMES ALONG THE WAY!!If it comes loose or tears while in route and starts flappin' in the breeze, it will damage your boat worse than any dirt or rock. Hard to believe, but true!

bucky
05-13-2006, 09:45 PM
My boat's previous owner trailered his with the factory "trailerable" cover. It still damaged the gelcoat. I would go with the shrink wrap. FWIW.

bfrank
05-17-2006, 07:22 PM
shrink wrap it is... thanks guys

Thrall
05-17-2006, 08:59 PM
FWIW, I've trailered my boat on several 1000mi trips. Was raining and/or snowing twice and I used the cover (don't generally because all the straps are a pita). Have no scuffing or damage otherwise, although I tightened the snot out of the straps and rechecked/tightened them everytime I stopped for fuel.
My cover is a custom from Overtons, was only about $200 if I recall.

meggsy1221@aol.com
05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I have seen where owners have installed plywood skirts to the trailer to deflect road debris from hitting the boat. Last year I had an oilcooler line on my transmisson leak from my truck and spray the front of our boat, what a mess couldn't get to a car wash fast enough. Have a great trip.

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I have seen where owners have installed plywood skirts to the trailer to deflect road debris from hitting the boat. Last year I had an oilcooler line on my transmisson leak from my truck and spray the front of our boat, what a mess couldn't get to a car wash fast enough. Have a great trip.

that stinks- did you end up getting the boat clean?