PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used a Boarding Ladder?

sixysixss
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I know the subject of ladders to get back on the platform or boat may be "frowned upon," but the parents like to go out with us once in a while and have trouble getting in the boat. My old boat had a ladder that swung down from the swim step. I don't think I want to add anything that permanent to the swim platform on my X9. Has anyone used a temporoary ladder that they can recommend? Something that could temporarily sit on the platform would be great. Any ideas? Thanks.

Rob

DanC
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
If you use a temporary ladder, you will need to find a place to store it when not in use (nice upholstry/fiberglass dinger)
Mag added a step to his platform. Search on "platform ladder" and you will find his three threads.
Here is one.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2171&highlight=platform+ladder

Looks like the pictures are gone. Mag did a nice job, it folded up neatly under the platform.

6ballsisall
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
SSSS, Mag Red made one for his 209 that is spiffy for this very reason. Might PM him about it.

jayderwin1
05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
use a rope ladder with metal rungs, tie it off to the handle in the back of your boat.

sixysixss
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
use a rope ladder with metal rungs, tie it off to the handle in the back of your boat.

That is what I was thinking. Are the metal rungs better than plastic rungs? I've seen alot of plastic, but no metal yet.

88 PS190
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Rope might not be the greatest if you are dealing w/ mobility issues.

Seems like you'll need something more stable. There are a bunch of ladders out there that would attach underneath, and slide out then down a section, would not be too difficult to retrofit one.

jimmer2880
05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
When my wife was 6 months pregnant last year, I took an old slalom handle, tied a couple knots in it to shorten, then hung it from the tow eye in the back of the boat & over the teak. It worked pretty well for her. I don't know how well your folks get along, but it may be enough until you're ready to go to the full ladder.

If I remember correctly, Mag's setup was pretty sweet.

Mi.mc
05-11-2006, 08:29 PM
could always just fill the ballast and float em up on the swim platform

Mag_Red
05-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I lost the pics but will reshot some as soon as I get to thhe lake this week-end. It'll give me and excuse to check on my baby :D

agua4fun
12-04-2016, 11:23 AM
I know this is a really old post, but I'm also looking for a temporary ladder to help my mother back on the boat. We had some difficulty this past summer and I'd like to make it easier for her. Ive seen all of the typical overtons type flip down ladders, but wondering if anyone here has gotten creative?

sixysixss I'm curious if you came up with anything?
It looks like MagRad hasn't been on the site in a few years, anyone have a picture of his setup?
Thanks,
Dave

04 Star Rider
12-04-2016, 11:28 AM
There is another thread somewhere on here that shows a 4 step ladder mounted under the platform. In my opinion, that is the way to go. Tucked out of the way and not seen while folded and the 4 steps make it very user friendly.

ttu
12-04-2016, 11:28 AM
I know this is a really old post, but I'm also looking for a temporary ladder to help my mother back on the boat. We had some difficulty this past summer and I'd like to make it easier for her. Ive seen all of the typical overtons type flip down ladders, but wondering if anyone here has gotten creative?

sixysixss I'm curious if you came up with anything?
It looks like MagRad hasn't been on the site in a few years, anyone have a picture of his setup?
Thanks,
Dave

dave, here is the best thread I have seen on this. very nice and clean and works

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=60629&highlight=ladder

Gonzo
12-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I did one and we like it, those that need it use it, when we don't it stays up and out of the way. Pics like 3rd or 4th page from the last.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=66485

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hammer
12-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I did one and we like it, those that need it use it, when we don't it stays up and out of the way. Pics like 3rd or 4th page from the last.

I might be a strong term! :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gonzo
12-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I might be a strong term! :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You get full credit in my thread...... #needsacookie

rkmason
12-04-2016, 04:02 PM

I also used the same under platform ladder as Gonzo...works great and stows out of the way. Does add a few pounds to the platform total weight if that matters at all to you. My ladder is Garelick model # 19643. There is also another model with one more step.

Hydrodreams
12-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Dave,

I installed a three step ladder like Gonzo and others have back in the spring for the mother in law. She is 70+ in great health but trying to get back on the platform was a challenge for her. I used it after being pulled over the front on a slalom wake crossing and having the air removed from me!

Daniel

agua4fun
12-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the links/pictures/model#. I'm a little nervous since the boat sits in the water most of the summer (obviously not ideal). The platform is out of the water about 1" but that will leave the ladder in the dirty water. (it gets slimy down there) Maybe I could shim the whole platform up 1"?

rkmason
12-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the links/pictures/model#. I'm a little nervous since the boat sits in the water most of the summer (obviously not ideal). The platform is out of the water about 1" but that will leave the ladder in the dirty water. (it gets slimy down there) Maybe I could shim the whole platform up 1"?

Based on my own boat & platform it might take a bit more than 1" to keep the whole ladder out of the water at rest.

Fullpass
12-04-2016, 05:53 PM
I think I have that exact stainless folding boat ladder…New never mounted…stored in the barn…interested…just let me know $75 shipped to you..can send pics

04 Star Rider
12-05-2016, 12:22 AM

If that is the case, I see no reason you couldn't add another piece of 3/4 between the platform and the bracket to give you the extra space

lda6339
12-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Curious to know how the under platform ladders ride during surfing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkmason
12-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Curious to know how the under platform ladders ride during surfing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ladder runs clear of the wake at cruise speed, but no idea where it would be when doing wake surfing since we don't do that. I don't run with any ballast.