PDA

View Full Version : Installing new transmission

Sluggo7
05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I had my tranny rebuilt for my '98 ProStar 190, and I am ready to install it. I did the work removing the old one myself, and I am going to do the installation as well. Is there anything I need to know for the install, or will it be pretty straight forward? Any pointers or even a step by step process would be greatly appreciated.

EricB
05-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Sluggo7;
Kinda late for a step-by-step process since you took it out already. Just re-install the same way it came out. Some hints:
1.Check the (transmission) drive plate carefully. If high hours or you heard some "ratteling" noises before you pulled the transission out, it would be good insurance to install a new flex plate.
2.Apply Anti-seize to the hub and shaft input splines. This will prevent future rusting and fretting.
3. Spline-to-plate fit is generally a fine spline and tolerences are tight. Take your time and do not loose patience. Can be hard to engage the transmission input shaft into the flexplate and slip in if not aligned right. Do not attempt to draw it in with the mount bolts.
4. Check the driveshaft coupler/transmission output flange for parallelism. I believe must be within .010" (if this is a wrong spec, don't worry somebody will make sure to point it out).
5. Lube the driveshaft strut bussing prior to stating unit. This will ensure lubrication and eliminate the funky noises when dry.
6. Fill w/recommended oil and let it run at idle for several minuets before shifting forward/neutral to test.

Take you time and do it correctly is all I can say...

Hope this helps.

EB

6ballsisall
05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Eric has some good directions. It's a pretty straight forward job and should be simple since you took it out already.

Driveshaft coupler tolerances should be .003. .010 is way to much.

EricB
05-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Yea, I had a memory lapse on the tolerance. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

BTW, the ski is great. Finally had a chance to use it last weekend and had no problems. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

6ballsisall
05-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Yea, I had a memory lapse on the tolerance. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

BTW, the ski is great. Finally had a chance to use it last weekend and had no problems. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

Great!! Enjoy!

Sluggo7
05-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Can anyone tell me what tranny fluid, and how much needs to go into my new transmission? It's a Hurth 1:1 on a '98 ProStar 190 LT1. We are working on the boat as we speak, and I left the manual at home. Any help would be appreciated.

Cloaked
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
For reference if necessary:

http://www.merequipment.com/Transmissions/marine_trans.htm

afkvrts
07-06-2006, 01:29 AM
I would like to get a step by step instructions on how to replace the flex plate... PLEASE HELP..

Thanks
-A