PDA

View Full Version : Hello! and fuel sending unit

rhsprostar
05-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi
Just wanted to say hello and thanks.
I just bought a 93 prostar 205 which is great!
So i have been lurking here over the past three months doing research on my purchase and I have to say that this is a great site.
It has helped me decide on what to buy, what to look for, as well as what i should pay for a mastercraft.
With the search function I have looked into eveything from the 4010 carb issues to boat buddy hull marks.
My fibreglass is sparking due to the 303 threads and my teak platform looks like a nice piece of furniture.
Thanks to Eastie for the FAQ section it has helped immensely!!
Anyway I am finally posting a question about my fuel sending unit which needs replacing.
I have found a esspro replacement but am wondering about the connections. Do you just cut them and heat shrink them?
Thanks again
Rob

east tx skier
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Welcome, Rob. I had my dealer do the fuel sender for me so I can't be much help here. Glad to have you on board. One of the smart kids will be along shortly to answer this for you.

Hoff1
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
I did mine a few years ago so my memory is faded alittle, but I don't remember cutting any wires. Maybe just unscrewing the terminals moving the wires from one to the other unit. Could be wrong though.

Britt
05-11-2006, 01:40 PM
My best advice to you is to buy a wemausa.com "sss" sender. It is impossible for it to jam or freeze up like the others. Best one I have ever seen. The floating arm and float in cylinder kind in my mind are a temporary fix just waiting to seize or read incorrectly.

rhsprostar
05-11-2006, 02:36 PM
ARe the wema sss the same hole configuration? The other question is 11 or 12 inch, with the plastic tank?

robisjo
05-11-2006, 02:42 PM
My best advice to you is to buy a wemausa.com "sss" sender. It is impossible for it to jam or freeze up like the others. Best one I have ever seen. The floating arm and float in cylinder kind in my mind are a temporary fix just waiting to seize or read incorrectly.
I just installed one on my 98. The holes lined up as the hole configuration is standard. I did have to add some washers to the top of the sending unit as the top of the old sending unit was deeper than the new one. It appears to measure correctly and is half the price of the ones you order from MC and cheaper than SkiDim. We will see how it holds up.

Britt
05-11-2006, 07:50 PM
yes it is industry standard 5 hole. They tell you if you have a plastic tank to order one that is one inch less in depth that the tank. And for metal tanks a half an inch.

rhsprostar
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys I will let you know how it goes.