PDA

View Full Version : advice for a new boat owner...

blackbeauty02
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
...I know I'll learn as I go and I have several friends who are boat owners (not mastercraft boat owners though :)) but I was hoping as fellow mc owners you could throw some advice my way. Any exterior/interior/engine/maintenance tips you might have that you have found helpful would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Clean hull with mild detergent and water. Depending on how it's stored (inside versus outside), wax it a couple of times or more per season. If you use soap or anything, always follow with wax.

Wipe down the seats with warm soapy water. Deeper cleaning with Fantastik or Magic Eraser as needed. No bleach. 303 Aerospace protectant afterwards.

Glass. Just soap and water. No windex.

Carpet with warm water and mild detergent (Tide no bleach) and a brush. Rinse with the pressure washer at the carwash. Shop Vac and air dry before recovering.

Engine. I have a carb like you and I keep my fuel that I'm not going to burn off in two weeks stabilized. That is, I stabilize it before that last run, so what's in the carb and the rest of the fuel system is stabilized.

Also, Oil change every 50 hours or annually. Tranny fluid change at the end of the season. Spark plugs and impeller change in the spring. Wires, dist. cap. and rotor every few years. Clean flame arrestor regularly. New Fuel filters annually.

Ric
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
rule #1, Black: 303man is helpful and normally the first to strike!!

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 07:16 PM
First things first!!!

We need pics!!! :firejump:

skitilldark
05-10-2006, 07:18 PM
and if you have a teak platform, limit it's exposure to the elements as much as possible(for instance, If I leave the boat in the water for a week, I'll pull the platform off). After a while it will begin to dry out and discolor(lighten). Keep teak oil on, but be careful not to let the oil build up too much. It will catch dirt and begin to turn the teak black in areas. I usually use teak brightener about three times a season and keep oil on it at all times. Just make sure when you DO put the oil on, to wipe it very good afterwards with a clean cloth to get the excess oil off. This will keep the platform looking brand new.

blackbeauty02
05-10-2006, 09:27 PM
These are the only two pics I have at the time. This was right after I got it. It's in the shop getting the damn transmission fixed. I'll get interior pics and closer pictures when I get it back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/surferbum21/DSCF0468.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/surferbum21/DSCF0467.jpg

Footin
05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Looks great, nice truck too.

blackbeauty02
05-10-2006, 09:32 PM
p.s. thanks for all the information. all that really does help. i thought you just put gas in the boat and go. j/k...but wow that's alot of helpful tips that i didn't know about.

86Craft
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Always take your time loading, and don't worry about the foot tapping 300 pound bayliner owner with tubes hanging everywhere, waiting to give his oiled up mama a donut ride around the lake. Rule #1 of loading-Load it like a docking spaceship, everyone remains clam and low tones.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Love that color. One of my favorite combos.

Ric
05-11-2006, 01:50 AM
These are the only two pics I have at the time. This was right after I got it. It's in the shop getting the damn transmission fixed. I'll get interior pics and closer pictures when I get it back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/surferbum21/DSCF0468.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/surferbum21/DSCF0467.jpg

Schweeett.... We'll work on you getting another truck but for now, let's concentrate on the prostar!!!

blackbeauty02
05-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Schweeett.... We'll work on you getting another truck but for now, let's concentrate on the prostar!!!

I'm confused on the last comment....don't like Ford's?

Ric
05-11-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm confused on the last comment....don't like Ford's?
HATE Fords.. just razzing you though, it's great lookin rig.

6ballsisall
05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
HATE Fords.. just razzing you though, it's great lookin rig.

BB: don't mind Ric, he's just part of the peanut gallery :D

ttu
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
very nice looking boat.

by the way where do you live. those houses look familiar.

gene dobies
05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Always take your time loading, and don't worry about the foot tapping 300 pound bayliner owner with tubes hanging everywhere, waiting to give his oiled up mama a donut ride around the lake. Rule #1 of loading-Load it like a docking spaceship, everyone remains clam and low tones.

It sure is a good thing you're not stereotyping or prejudice.

6ballsisall
05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
It sure is a good thing you're not stereotyping or prejudice.

I agree, we wouldn't want that on here.

blackbeauty02
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
very nice looking boat.

by the way where do you live. those houses look familiar.

I live in SW OKC. Sorry but I don't want to give an exact location. I've had so much **** stolen from me. Not that you guys would do anything but I've heard stories of people getting on this type of sites and looking for stuff they might want to take.

Ric
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
BB: don't mind Ric, he's just part of the peanut gallery :D
true, I have damn near five thousand posts about nothing...

but I won't steal from ya!

ttu
05-11-2006, 01:28 PM
blackbeauty, I live over in tulsa.

Good luck with your new mc.

86Craft
05-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Whoa...Nobody's being a hater here.
Sounds a little like lawyer talk..oop's. :friday:

east tx skier
05-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Don't drag us poor lawyers into this. ;)

Ric
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
mean gene keeps a close eye on those who step over the line.. you mind your p's and q's mister :cool:

86Craft
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I have been off the board for awhile as you might have notice. Join back when East had his Prostar for a avatar, and 2000ish posts. Things have changed I see. I'll try to tread like a compac car, "lightly", from now on. Trying to crack a funny while giving advice to our new boat owner friend here is all.

boatless
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I like the rims on your truck. Well, a few more info and I can tell where you live. So far, I have the house number. Nice rims here I come :D

maristarman
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Welcome.

Nice looking truck.

I've drank from the 303 Kool Aid myself so I understand about the upholstery, but this is the first time I remember someone complaining about Windex.

What is wrong with Windex?

east tx skier
05-12-2006, 12:13 PM
What is wrong with Windex?

Owner's manual says don't do it.

Davo
05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I have been off the board for awhile as you might have notice. Join back when East had his Prostar for a avatar, and 2000ish posts. Things have changed I see. I'll try to tread like a compac car, "lightly", from now on. Trying to crack a funny while giving advice to our new boat owner friend here is all.

Not all of us are that uptight...fugetaboutit. I thought it was mildly funny. ;)

east tx skier
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Not all of us are that uptight...fugetaboutit. I thought it was mildly funny. ;)

I cracked a smile over the oiled up mama until I found ought that was wrong. :(

Davo
05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I guess I'll throw out some advice instead of just criticizing the criticizers...

303 Aerospace Protectant works well on the gel coat also...I put it on the side of my boat that's exposed to the sun while not in use and it acts as a sunscreen.

Of course, if you ever have any questions regarding maintenance the folks on here are super helpful and you can usually do a search and find your answer.

I'm not sure how familair you are with operating and inboard...some people think that because the prop's under the boat everyone is safe, but I'd pay extra attention when people are around the platform and keep the engine off so they don't inhale CO. You should always know where your rider and crew are at all times. When you're behind the wheel you are responsible for all of them.

Also, be courteous to the other people on the lake and communicate with them as much as possible - that goes for the people at the boat ramp as well, including the overweight gentlemen with the oily wife and nice Bayliner loaded with sweet toobs. Even if the skiers are throwing up f-bombs and the fishermen are hurling lures at you - go talk with them and keep a level head.

east tx skier
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
This isn't really maintenance, but if this is your first straight drive inboard, take some time to practice maneuvering at slow speeds in open water. These boats don't back like an I/O. They pull right and it takes some getting used to (and around the dock isn't the best place to get used to it). Also, if the boat isn't under power, your control surface (rudder) isn't much good. So if you want to turn, you need to be pushing water over the rudder.

Ric
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
hey I thought it was funny too. Sorry Gene :wavey:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Don't drag us poor lawyers into this. ;)
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

east tx skier
05-12-2006, 02:47 PM
You're right.

This poor lawyer. ;)

Ric
04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I live in SW OKC. Sorry but I don't want to give an exact location. I've had so much **** stolen from me. Not that you guys would do anything but I've heard stories of people getting on this type of sites and looking for stuff they might want to take. BB, it is time for you to relocate!

sizzler
04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
You're right.

This poor lawyer. ;)

oxymoron........:confused:

TMCNo1
04-25-2007, 10:17 AM
...I know I'll learn as I go and I have several friends who are boat owners (not mastercraft boat owners though :)) but I was hoping as fellow mc owners you could throw some advice my way. Any exterior/interior/engine/maintenance tips you might have that you have found helpful would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Did anyone ever state in this thread, that if there is any question about stuff going missing in the neighborhood, see this post too, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=184698&postcount=18, you lock everything up if the boat is stored outside, hitch, wheels/tires, and take all the valuable goodies from inside the boat into the house.:confused: :rolleyes: