PDA

View Full Version : New ski decision

Pages : [1] 2

Ben
05-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I got approval to upgrade the ski this season (yes, I'm off to a late start), and am debating a few things, was curious for input.

Old ski is KD4000, course novice - 15off, 30-32mph, etc. Hoping to improve this year, no time last year.

I'm in the $500 range, and have found some good deals online, KD CR7, HO System 8, and HO CDX. I think this is the way to get the best ski, but demo-ing isn't an option. To demo locally @ dealer means I'll be paying a lot more for less of a ski, also less selection at the dealers (# of brands).

Has anyone ski'd these models, or have any other ideas? The KD seems high on the list, since I'm on a KD now, but not sure if that's a good reason....

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a CDX that I love. I'm demoing a Monza this weekend if the weather cooperates. Wasn't looking for a new ski, but we'll see how it shakes out. From first hand experience, as of today, the only one I can recommend is the CDX. By next week, I may be singing a different tune.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I got approval to upgrade the ski this season (yes, I'm off to a late start), and am debating a few things, was curious for input.
no late start, i always like to start the season on an old ski, get back to feeling good on the water, then start demoing skis...gives me a true feeling on how the ski feels...

check out this recent thread, lots of talk on what people are skiing on http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=184195#post184195

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
if you liked the KD i would stick with another KD (like the cr7 or 7000) or a d3. if your interested i have a 67" d3 custom 4 with kd cinch binding for sale..

MYMC
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Find a shop that will let you try before you buy anything! Your deposit should go toward the purchase price as well. Make sure someone helps to set the ski up and verifies binding placment as well as fin and wing position. All this matters in making the right choice for you. These things cost way to much to go by word of mouth...but if you do decide to go that way get the System8 :dance: (its a joke...test em all then decide)

shepherd
05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Find a shop that will let you try before you buy anything! Your deposit should go toward the purchase price as well. Make sure someone helps to set the ski up and verifies binding placment as well as fin and wing position. All this matters in making the right choice for you. These things cost way to much to go by word of mouth...but if you do decide to go that way get the System8 :dance: (its a joke...test em all then decide)

I demo'ed the last 2 skis I bought. Great idea, but there's no pro shop around here where I live now, which I suspect is Ben's problem(?) Do any mail-order places have demo programs or "buy-back" programs?

rodltg2
05-13-2006, 03:00 PM
goode and d3 i know of have a $40 demo program... you have to pay in full for the ski upfront though. of you dont like it , its liek a return wiht a 40 re stock fee.

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I demo'ed the last 2 skis I bought. Great idea, but there's no pro shop around here where I live now, which I suspect is Ben's problem(?) Do any mail-order places have demo programs or "buy-back" programs?

Who needs mail order? Contact Mike at Mastercraft of Charlotte. Several of us on here have used his demo program and very pleased. I'd rather support someone on here and get good service than use someone like Overtons or Barts

east tx skier
05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Just got off the lake. I think I like this ski. If no rain, skiing tomorrow. For now, Mexican food is calling. More later.

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Just got off the lake. I think I like this ski. If no rain, skiing tomorrow. For now, Mexican food is calling. More later.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

BuoyChaser
05-13-2006, 09:34 PM
:friday: :friday: :friday:

Cloaked
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
..... I'd rather support someone on here and get good service ....:wErd: .......

Life is Good!
05-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Dont know about HO or KD, but overtons has great prices on last years O'Brien and Connelly performance skis. Verdict w/ double contact plates for $399. Siege w/contact front and perf rear toe platefor $319. Connelly concept w/double stoker plates for $ 349. Just thought to let you know if you wanted to mail order. Also try www.perfski.com. They have all brands at great prices and helpful service! Just bought mine there. Talk to Danny there, he was very helpfull. :toast:

Ben
05-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the input.

Cost being my main driver, it is hard to do a $50 demo from the local shop, when the same ski is available online for much less. Ex. Sys8 w/animals, $973 local, $550 online (2005 model - OK for me). That's a lot of gas. Actually, it put's me in a different ski.

Maybe I figure the $50 is experimental, ski everything they have, then buy online.... hmmm

We've had good luck with Wiley's in the past, which is where I'm leaning again too. May check with them on demos....

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input.

Cost being my main driver, it is hard to do a $50 demo from the local shop, when the same ski is available online for much less. Ex. Sys8 w/animals, $973 local, $550 online (2005 model - OK for me). That's a lot of gas. Actually, it put's me in a different ski.

Maybe I figure the $50 is experimental, ski everything they have, then buy online.... hmmm

We've had good luck with Wiley's in the past, which is where I'm leaning again too. May check with them on demos....

Ben if you haven't done it I would highly recommend you call Mike @ Mastercraft of Charlotte. Pricing will be good and top notch service

shepherd
05-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Ben if you haven't done it I would highly recommend you call Mike @ Mastercraft of Charlotte. Pricing will be good and top notch service

I'm leaning toward a CDX from Wiley's but... What brands does Mike @ Mastercraft sell? Is he "MYMC" on TeamTalk? Do you have contact info?

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
MYMC (MasterCraft of Charlotte) www.mymastercraft.com. I know they are an HO dealer. Don't know if they carry other brands as well. Definitely worth a phone call IMO although I don't think they will have a CDX as that seems to be something that Wiley's has worked out with HO.

shepherd
05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
I dunno, like Ben says it's hard to beat the online prices. e.g., Wiley's has a CDX w/Wiley's for $479 - on MC of Charlotte website they're asking $750 for a System 8, apparently without bindings...

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
You might want to call Mike all the same just to verify that price. I don't know what he's charging for new skis as the one I bought was one that he'd been riding for a year or so.

I think the CDX is a great ski (bought mine new from Wiley's in 04). I went with the animal bindings over the Wiley's wraps. I hear good things about the Wiley's wraps though.

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Shep

Trust me, it's worth a call to Mike. Just like MC dealers, they are limited to what pricing they can and can't advertise online. Mike has some very equitable deals. I'd make the call if you are looking.

Ben
05-16-2006, 07:47 AM

Thanks, good tip. I'm waiting on info reply. I spoke w/him yesterday, very helpful, and prices seemed close to some other stuff I'm looking at, although we didn't talk #'s too much, he's gonna follow up with that.

Shep. I agree w/jrandol so far, worth the $.25 call...

MC Charlotte sells at least HO and sounded as if he could get KD, not sure of others.

MYMC
05-16-2006, 08:59 AM
To all that have called regarding skis I have ordered 3 Nitros and 3 more System8s...email me at mike@mastercraftofcharlotte.com and I will advise you when they are in (a week I guess).

Thanks for the calls...

shepherd
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll try to call Mike at Charlotte today before I call Wiley's.

Ben, did you decide on which ski you want yet? I'm thinking either the CDX or System 8 for myself, probably in the 68" to 69" range.

How did the Monza demo go for you Eastie? How does it compare to your CDX?

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm a low speed long line skier. I really liked the Monza and as of yesterday, I own it. It is very fast and doesn't like going straight. That is to say that it doesn't take much to put it on edge and small shifts in weight caused it to edge hunt a little (but I don't really have it dialed in yet and was probably a little too much on the tail).

It definitely skis like an HO (similar to the CDX), but much faster. It turns (changes edge) sharp/abrubtly and accellerates fast out of the turn. If you've been skiing on an O'Brien or a Connelly, this can be a little difficult to get used to as those skis tend to make more rounded turns. But after two years on a CDX, it was a smooth transition. It required a little tweaking and will probably require some more. I'd never messed with a fin before, but there wasn't a lot to it and it was worth learning how to do IMO.

If I never bothered with the course, I'd probably have kept riding the CDX and loving it. It's been a great ski and I'm keeping it, too. But if the Monza can get me where I need to be faster and with a little less effort on my part in relation to those darned orange balls, I decided it was worth a try.

daveg
05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
ETS;

Congrats on your purchase of a new Monza! The folks I ski with at my site all seem to be flocking to the Monza and really liking it.

The new ski bug is biting me hard this year but am confused with all the ski choices out there....even in the HO lineup :confused: . I have come across a good deal for a 70" CDX to possibly replace my 12 year old HO 69" VTC (Turbo). The VTC has been a really forgiving ski but I am itching to get something new to see if I can improve from 30 MPH @ 15 off to 32-34 MPH and who knows, maybe even shorten the line.

Did you find the CDX to be a forgiving ski where you didn't have to worry about getting dumped out the front if you get too far forward on it? I am reluctant to get on a ski that will not tolerate my bad habits!!

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Dave, I found the CDX to be an extremely stable ski, but I don't know of any ski that's so forgiving that it is going to keep you or me from being dumped out the front if you're way out of position (too far forward) at the wakes. I've gone out the front on the CDX time and time again. In my case, it was never the ski's fault. That said, my form is far from perfect and going out the front was not a regular occurance on the CDX by any means. But so far, it wasn't something that happened on the Monza either (knock wood).

pq2
05-16-2006, 12:22 PM
congrats east, you will love that ski more and more :toast:

Ben
05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll try to call Mike at Charlotte today before I call Wiley's.

Ben, did you decide on which ski you want yet? I'm thinking either the CDX or System 8 for myself, probably in the 68" to 69" range.

How did the Monza demo go for you Eastie? How does it compare to your CDX?

Not yet, waiting on reply from Mike. I'll be in a 68" unless I quit the 12oz curls and my grill spontaneously combusts... I think I'm looking @ System 8, Nitro, or CR7. Nitro appears to be a 34mph version of the sys8, trying to learn more about it. I'm in the 32-34mph game, so that may be better.

shepherd
05-16-2006, 12:42 PM
congrats east, you will love that ski more and more :toast:

dang, maybe I should think about getting a Monza. but, they're so expensive :( . They say the System 8 is basically the same (?), just constructed differently.

Jimperry
05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Ben, I'm skiing on a 67" KD CR7 and I like it alot (after moving the bindings to the far forward position). It has great acceleration, it's very smooth, and carves a really nice turn. I have not skiied the other skis on the market but I'm happy with the CR7. Smoothe and fast are the best words to describe it.

jmyers
05-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I have an older HO VTX is that a good ski? And I need a back binding for it any suggestions? :confused:

daveg
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I have an older HO VTX is that a good ski? And I need a back binding for it any suggestions? :confused:

I have noticed quite a few HO bindings on ebay. You may try there, or try your nearest HO dealer to see if they have any older bindings around. The one issue I have come up against is the fact that HO changed their hole patterns several years ago so its hard to use older bindings on new skis.

I have heard you can buy the new bottom plates to mount an old binding to a new ski. Maybe you can do something similar....buy a new binding and get an older mount plate for it?? Not sure but worth asking about.

jmyers
05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
I have noticed quite a few HO bindings on ebay. You may try there, or try your nearest HO dealer to see if they have any older bindings around. The one issue I have come up against is the fact that HO changed their hole patterns several years ago so its hard to use older bindings on new skis.

I have heard you can buy the new bottom plates to mount an old binding to a new ski. Maybe you can do something similar....buy a new binding and get an older mount plate for it?? Not sure but worth asking about.
Thanks for the info, I will check! The ski has been sitting around for about 10 years with no binding and almost new!

88 PS190
05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
If you're getting a new rear binding, i'd get a new front for it as well.

The old front binding will not feel good in comparison to any of the modern HO plates, esp. one w/ a super feet orthotic insert (which are incredible)

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 02:45 PM
dang, maybe I should think about getting a Monza. but, they're so expensive :( . They say the System 8 is basically the same (?), just constructed differently.

Same shape, different core. It's basically heavier.

jmyers
05-16-2006, 02:47 PM
There is a brand new monza on e-bay for $500! Saw it while I was loooking for bindings!

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
One more plug for Mike @ MC of Charlotte. I am not only happy with the pricing of the Monza I purchased but the service is definetely worth mentioning.

It seems all the new ski's are finnicky and need some tuning of the fin to dial them in right. I never tuned one before and always thought for my skill level it wouldn't make a bit of difference (read: I suck!) Thats not the case at all! Mike via phone and email several times gave me tips on what to try adjusting based on the feedback I gave him about how it ski'd for me. It's good to buy from a PROSHOP because they have PROS there that can advise you based on their experiences, not whats in the textbook. You can't get that kind of guidance from a place like Overtons or Barts, etc...... Could I have saved $20 and buy my ski elsewhere?? I doubt it, but maybe, I didn't check that hard. Could I have gotten good advice on how to set the ski up right elsewhere, maybe from a handful of shops across the country. So in the end, I'd recommend looking beyond the few dollars savings buying from a mass retailer type shop on a ski. I learned there is ALOT more to the purchase than giving them a CC # that benefits you as the buyer.

Off soap box now.

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 02:53 PM
There is a brand new monza on e-bay for $500! Saw it while I was loooking for bindings!

With or without bindings???

jmyers
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
With or without bindings???
looks like W/O but I looked they are like $900 for the ski and $150-$200 for bindings new! Way out of my price range! I couldn't believe how light the ski is though! :eek:

pq2
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM

First I was going to buy the System 8, then I called Arturo Nelson who has a ski school in florida and also a proshop and he recomend me to get the monza. I never try the System 8 but the monza had worked great, Im improving over the course every week and I feel the ski is helping alot. I was afraid to start skiing better and start asking my self if i will need another ski. If you can, try both, im sure you will see the diference and you will know if you want to pay more. good luck

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
looks like W/O but I looked they are like $900 for the ski and $150-$200 for bindings new! Way out of my price range! I couldn't believe how light the ski is though! :eek:

If it's without I wouldn't get fired up about that "deal" I don't want to step out of line here but if thats your price point area you really should call Mike. Just a suggestion and I mentioned nothing about Monza pricing. ;)

jmyers
05-16-2006, 03:19 PM
First I was going to buy the System 8, then I called Arturo Nelson who has a ski school in florida and also a proshop and he recomend me to get the monza. I never try the System 8 but the monza had worked great, Im improving over the course every week and I feel the ski is helping alot. I was afraid to start skiing better and start asking my self if i will need another ski. If you can, try both, im sure you will see the diference and you will know if you want to pay more. good luck
If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the Monza, but my wife would have killed me! My new Vengence already cost me an addition to her wedding ring!! :eek: Even though she got a brand new wakeboard before I got my ski! (and she is just learning!) She keeps saying I got a brand new boat, isn't a new boat for the family too! :confused:

shepherd
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Aww man! I was pretty much convinced that the System 8 will be my new ski. I figured the Monza would be a little too much for my skiing ability (15-22 off @ 34 mph, but hoping for better).

this according to a guy I ski with whose into 32-35 off:
"The extra stiffness in a top of the line ski does not really help till you get to 35-off. A little softness in the tail makes the ski much easier slow down and turn with control - more forgiving."

this from the performance ski and surf web site:
"With the exact dimensions and shape of the Monza, this ski is damper, built with less demanding materials in construction. The System-8 has all the best qualities of the Monza with a broader range of performance particularly in varying conditions."

So, I was thinking SYSTEM 8... :confused: I just don't want to spend $200 more for extra performance that I won't be able to use. If I do ever get into 32-35 off in the distant future, then I'd probably look to buy a hotter ski then.

What think you guys?

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Aww man! I was pretty much convinced that the System 8 will be my new ski. I figured the Monza would be a little too much for my skiing ability (15-22 off @ 34 mph, but hoping for better).

this according to a guy I ski with whose into 32-35 off:
"The extra stiffness in a top of the line ski does not really help till you get to 35-off. A little softness in the tail makes the ski much easier slow down and turn with control - more forgiving."

this from the performance ski and surf web site:
"With the exact dimensions and shape of the Monza, this ski is damper, built with less demanding materials in construction. The System-8 has all the best qualities of the Monza with a broader range of performance particularly in varying conditions."

So, I was thinking SYSTEM 8... :confused: I just don't want to spend $200 more for extra performance that I won't be able to use. If I do ever get into 32-35 off in the distant future, then I'd probably look to buy a hotter ski then.

What think you guys?

I think I'd call Mike and demo both. From what I understand if you ski in less than perfect water conditions (glass) than the System8 might be a better choice. The monza doesn't like rough water to much.

Disclaimer: I keep pitching Mike I know, but I have absolutely no financial incentive involved. Just a happy customer

jmyers
05-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I heard the same thing for all around skiing and in as said not glass water(which I don't see alot of) the System 8, or the Vengence which the system 8 replaced is a good choice and a chunk of change less! :twocents:

shepherd
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Also from Performance Ski and Surf web site in Monza description:

Skill Level: ..Expert thru Pro Competition

When does one become "expert"? at 28 off?

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
nope, try again..

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, my Monza says "System 8" on it. 8p

I don't know how it handles rough water yet. We had dream conditions Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, we were literally the only boat on the lake. Sunday, the river was, for the most part clear, and its natural banks will dissapate wakes in no time. When it's rough, I tend to drink more beer on the dock and ski less.

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, my Monza says "System 8" on it. 8p

I don't know how it handles rough water yet. We had dream conditions Saturday and Sunday. Saturday, we were literally the only boat on the lake. Sunday, the river was, for the most part clear, and its natural banks will dissapate wakes in no time. When it's rough, I tend to drink more beer on the dock and ski less.

You got a special Monza. It thinks its both (bi-polar) so you are ok in rough or calm water. :D

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Jeff, was yours new or was it special?

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Jeff, was yours new or was it special?

New. It's special to me though :D It's an 05 leftover. I'd buy another type of leftover item of an older vintage but Erk and I just can't seem to come to terms :rolleyes: Guess he really doesn't like coffee??

daveg
05-16-2006, 03:55 PM

Theres a dentist in the Milwaukee area that might be able to answer that. I think it all depends on how far apart your buoys are set!! :)

shepherd
05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
nope, try again..

Yeah, that's what I thought. :rolleyes:

hacker
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM

Back when AWSA was handing out ratings, 4 @ 28 off would get you an expert rating in mens 3. I think last year you had get a piece of 1 ball at 32 to get that rating for mens 4. Ratings disappeared this year.

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
New. It's special to me though :D It's an 05 leftover. I'd buy another type of leftover item of an older vintage but Erk and I just can't seem to come to terms :rolleyes: Guess he really doesn't like coffee??

I guess there are a few different varieties. There's mine a/k/a the prototype. The Blue Nationals Version and the Red Lion (yours). I like it a lot so far and I'm far from an "expert." Nice to know it's there if I ever need it. I didn't have much trouble slowing it down at the turn (and I had the wing off).

MYMC
05-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Jeff & East,

Thanks for the plugs! For the rest that are interested I have put together pricing for TMC members that I cannot list here...email me. Demo is $50 and goes toward the ski if you choose to buy...

MYMC
05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
To answer a couple of questions and posts about pricing:

1) As an HO/Hyperlite dealer I cannot advertise pricing that is below MAP (minimum advertised price) or I am in violation of the dealer agreement.

2) I cannot sell new 2006 product at left over 2005 prices (again dealer agreements). If you can find left over equipment that has had nothing but a graphic or color change at 1/2 price go for it.

3) There is a value to having a proshop you can call and get info from. Wiley's, Performance Ski and here all can help you set-up and tune your ski so that you can enjoy your purchase. However, this requires trained competent personnel, extra phone lines, equipment (like flex testers) etc... Having said that you cannot expect pricing to be the same as catalogs and box stores. Everyone is looking for the best deal possible...including me, but just like Mom said "there is no free lunch".

As always I'll help all I can when I can.

Ben
05-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Due to pricing, it looks as if I'm down to KD CR7 or Connelly F1X.

KD would be similar to my last ski, and probably a better ski.

F1X seems to be a slightly wider ski, which may be good for my 32-
34mph range.

Anyone skied the F1X? Or, have opinions?

Life is Good!
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Dont have any experience with KD, but i have owned and still own some connelly products and they are great quality! sorry but i have not tried the F1X but i hear its a great ski! :D

88 PS190
05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
At the time I tried the F1X I was skiing a connolly concept and really liked the F1X. When it came time to get a new ski I went with a goode, but the F1X was really good too.

shepherd
05-18-2006, 11:23 PM
A guy I ski with skis an F1X. He seems to like it, and he's skiing in the same mph range as you...

Larryp
05-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a CDX that I love. I'm demoing a Monza this weekend if the weather cooperates. Wasn't looking for a new ski, but we'll see how it shakes out. From first hand experience, as of today, the only one I can recommend is the CDX. By next week, I may be singing a different tune.
Hey, I was in alambama 2 weeks ago and the dealer in Huntsville had last years blanks less than 400 dollars. Very nice guy.

Ben
05-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Curveball, Wiley's had a deal on a scratched up KD Lithium I couldn't pass up. The Lithium is similar to the F1X, as it is a slightly wider version of the CR7. Just as the F1X is a slightly wider version of the F1.

Based on my speed & ability (& many good recommendations and discussions), I was close to getting a blemish F1X from Overton's (best deal I found after picking the F1X), but called Wiley's one last time. Great move, saved almost a tank of gas, and my ski will get scratched up somehow anyway...

Thanks for all of the input.

MYMC
05-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry we couldnt help Ben...Enjoy the new ski!

Ben
05-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Sorry we couldnt help Ben...Enjoy the new ski!

No problem, thanks for your help and comments, I appreciate that.

starman205
05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
ETS, what bindings do you have on your Demo? :wavey:

east tx skier
05-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Currently, the amimals. Expecting Approach boots to show up today. Already had the animals. Demo'd/Purchased the ski blank.

Ben
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
How do you demo a ski blank? Duct tape on the feet? :D

shepherd
05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
My new toy arrived yesterday.
2005 HO System 8 with double Wileys :smile:

shepherd
05-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Another shot. Like Ben found out, it's hard to beat Wiley's deals.
This ski was $479 with the bindings, and I paid another $20 for a RTP in case the double bindings don't suit me -- I've always skiied single with RTP but wanted to try the doubles.

Life is Good!
05-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Sweet Ski! How fast do you ski and what line length? :toast:

shepherd
05-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks Life. I'm at 34 mph, getting into 22 off. I toyed with getting the Monza, but decided that it was too hot for me. I was told the System 8 is a little more forgiving, but still a quick ski.

Life is Good!
05-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Great choice i think, let me know how it works for you! Good Luck @ 22 off!

pq2
05-20-2006, 12:50 PM
congrats, very nice ski

shepherd
05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Just got back from the lake. The ski rides real nice and the double boot actually felt good - should have switched to doubles a long time ago. I did'nt make any PBs out there, but I'm sure I will soon :)

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 02:35 PM
did it take you a few pulls to get up in the doubles? that was my experience, i had my weight too far back for awhile.

shepherd
05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Actually, it seemed easier to get up, probably because this ski is a little longer than my old one and maybe because my wife was a little easier on the throttle than my usual driver.

betsy&david Harrison
06-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I got to ride an X5 this weekend and loved it. Now I'm looking for one online. B

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I got to ride an X5 this weekend and loved it. Now I'm looking for one online. B
join the rest of us!!!actually there are quite a few changes to the X5 the last couple of years from what i've been told...same basic mold as the CR7...

i tried an 05 X5 and liked it...only skied one set but def'n could do some fine tuning and put it back to stock settings, before i shell out the cash...the D3 series seems to be the best bang for the buck when compared to Carbonworx, Goode and HO Monza that all break the $1k range for a comparable ski...

betsy&david Harrison
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM
join the rest of us!!!actually there are quite a few changes to the X5 the last couple of years from what i've been told...same basic mold as the CR7...

i tried an 05 X5 and liked it...only skied one set but def'n could do some fine tuning and put it back to stock settings, before i shell out the cash...the D3 series seems to be the best bang for the buck when compared to Carbonworx, Goode and HO Monza that all break the $1k range for a comparable ski...
I think the one I tried was the 05. I think I'm going to try to find a blem model. I also need really good bindings on it. B

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I think the one I tried was the 05. I think I'm going to try to find a blem model. I also need really good bindings on it. B
PM if you find a good deal on one, i'm 180lbs and 5'10"...
Nomad 67" (170 - 205lbs)
X5 66.5" ( 165-190lbs)
http://www.d3skis.com/products/slalom_NOMAD.htm

my buddy is on a 66.5" with ho adrenaline bindings which are heavier than my other buddy who is skiing his 66.5" with d3 custom high wraps...the d3 wraps are definitely heavier...

guess the deal is you can get the ski blank, KD/D3 holes or HO holes...almost all the ski companies have come to a standard hole pattern except these two...

guess the D3 is based on the CR7 mold base, so lots of converts there since the design was improved upon...D3 certainly seems like the best bang for the buck compared to Goode, HO Monza at $1k+...

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 06:36 PM
okay, finally broke down and bought a 2004 D3 X5 67.5" which was the recommended size from what Paul at D3 was saying being 5'10" 180lbs and working on 36mph 15'off for the past 5yrs...

so anyone interested in a 67" or 68" HO Phantom with Animal High Wraps size Large, let me know...PM me will give you a great deal to help pay off for my new investment!!!

88 PS190
06-05-2006, 06:50 PM
1K+ w/ sales tax etc.
clinging on top.

can't wait to see a fischer. love how good they look online.

They appear to be much higher quality in fit and finish and the inserts etc.

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
okay, finally broke down and bought a 2004 D3 X5 67.5" which was the recommended size from what Paul at D3 was saying being 5'10" 180lbs and working on 36mph 15'off for the past 5yrs...

so anyone interested in a 67" or 68" HO Phantom with Animal High Wraps size Large, let me know...PM me will give you a great deal to help pay off for my new investment!!!

im sure you like it, i love my 06 x5...

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
im sure you like it, i love my 06 x5...
tough making the decision on the '06 upgrade which has a great bevel in the tail, providing more speed out of the turn...

what ski before your X5???

rodltg2
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
d3 custom 4

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 09:17 PM
d3 custom 4
did your buoy count change before/after???

everybody else i know who has picked up the d3 has gone at least one line length shorter, almost overnight...

BuoyChaser
06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
d3 custom 4
was this your custom 4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7240771810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

betsy&david Harrison
06-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm still hunting for an 05 D3 X5.... found some in Fla. but I'm waiting for D3 to reply to my posting. Anyone have a 66 that they hate? B ;)

rodltg2
06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
was this your custom 4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7240771810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

yes it was, i did end up selling ...

rodltg2
06-08-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm still hunting for an 05 D3 X5.... found some in Fla. but I'm waiting for D3 to reply to my posting. Anyone have a 66 that they hate? B ;)

i may know someone..... let me check..

betsy&david Harrison
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
i may know someone..... let me check..
I'll let you :) Keeping my fingers crossed.

BuoyChaser
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
here's a custom X d3 for $200 buy-it-now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7247738296&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

what are you waiting for D3 to reply to???just call them up direct and ask for Paul if his wife answers, or if a guy answers that is Paul...

he told me my height 5'10 weight 180lbs and my struggling line length 36mph 15'to22' off would be best served by a 67.5" X5, so they happened to have a closeout 2004 model with HO hole patterns picked up for a good price...doesn't have the latest bevel change to the tail like the 2006 x5 has, but don't think i'll notice the difference in speed...

rodltg2
06-08-2006, 06:48 PM
although a great ski the custom x is different from the x5. great price though. i may see paul tommorow morning ill see if he has anything. otherwise i know a few other skiers that have changed to newer/different skis..

betsy&david Harrison
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
here's a custom X d3 for $200 buy-it-now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7247738296&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

what are you waiting for D3 to reply to???just call them up direct and ask for Paul if his wife answers, or if a guy answers that is Paul...

he told me my height 5'10 weight 180lbs and my struggling line length 36mph 15'to22' off would be best served by a 67.5" X5, so they happened to have a closeout 2004 model with HO hole patterns picked up for a good price...doesn't have the latest bevel change to the tail like the 2006 x5 has, but don't think i'll notice the difference in speed...
I have been busy at work and haven't had a chance to call. Guess if I got off the site I'd have time Huh?!!

BuoyChaser
06-09-2006, 12:39 PM
I have been busy at work and haven't had a chance to call. Guess if I got off the site I'd have time Huh?!!
just call!!!

MYMC
06-21-2006, 12:11 PM
FYI: we now have 2006 Sytem8's in stock and a Nitro.

rodltg2
06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
betsy, did you find a ski yet? i asked around and i cant locate a used one for you..

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks Rod, I will find out this weekend. If it doesn't pan out with my connection I am calling D3 direct. B

6ballsisall
06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks Rod, I will find out this weekend. If it doesn't pan out with my connection I am calling D3 direct. B

Betsy UMP is doing a group buy. PM him about it :D :woohoo:

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Betsy UMP is doing a group buy. PM him about it :D :woohoo:
My connection knows a guy that has stacks of skis in storage. He will be out at the tournament this weekend at Nacimiento and will have skis to demo. If not... he will be at Jr. Development on our lake at our house. Somethings got to give! Any body ask at Barts yet? I may call today if I get time. I have relatives coming so I'm cleaning and cooking like a SOB! This is the only break I will be taking.

I made dinner at 7:30 this morning...Cold Beef Tenderloin with Creamy Mustard Tarragon Sauce, Corn Salad Stuffed Tomatoes and baby new potatoes. YUM. Haven't thought about dessert yet. Maybe a Chocolate Raspberry Torte. Busy day!!

rodltg2
06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
otherwise the new d3 are awsome!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Betsy UMP is doing a group buy. PM him about it
Oh JR you *&%$@#! :rant: :rant: :uglyhamme Your a hoot man! :D

BuoyChaser
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
the 67.5" 2004 D3 X5 is treating me well...thanks to JKSki got two back to back 28' yesterday, just inside of six ball...NICE, lovin' the way it turns...just need to work on takin' the load consistently out of the turn...yesterday absorb the slack nicely, but this morning was takin' the hits...back is on FIRE!!!

zorax2
06-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Mike at MasterCraft of Charlotte. A great guy with helpful advice. Hopefully, I'll get the wife's OK and can get a ski from him.

I'm a 42 year old, 180 pounder looking for a new HO as my old Kidder Redline EX is quite long in tooth. I used to ski on a course about once a month in the summer and usually was well into 28 off and 32 off at 36 mph. Now with 3 young kids, I rarely get the course in and usually free ski at 34 - 36 mph at 22 off.

The HO options would be the Monza, System 8 or Nitro. Mike suggested the Nitro would be more trucklike - much slower. The System 8 would be a good fit on paper being built for Mens 3 at 34 mph. However, it wouldn't be that much more to get into a Monza. He suggested that folks of similar abilities have found the Monza to be a nice ski. While a 67" ski is normally recommended for the System 8 or Nitro, Mike suggested considering a 68" for the slower 34 mph speed.

Is there anyone here with similar characteristics that could comment on which ski they might choose and why?

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Check out http://waterskitests.com/

The System 8 did not score high at all with these guys, which I found surprising. When I got the approach boots on the Monza I bought from Mike, I had permagrin for a week. With those boots, it was an entirely different ski than when I skied on it with the animal bindings.

shepherd
06-26-2006, 04:47 PM
The System 8 did not score high at all with these guys, which I found surprising.

Hey at least one of the testers said "this ski is a winner." (I'm just trying to justify my recent purchase ;) ). Just shows that different people will have different reactions...

I'm not sure what those guys mean when a ski is "too soft."

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I should've added that the stuff those guys noticed would not necessarily be something I'd notice. :o

6ballsisall
06-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh JR you *&%$@#! :uglyhamme Your a hoot man! :D

Whats up UMP :D

shepherd
06-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I sure would like to ride a Monza to see how it compares to the System 8. Maybe if I ever get the chance to ski in Orlando again I'll see if PerfSki has a demo Monza.

Two main reasons I went with the System 8 over the Monza:
1. I was told the Monza was "too hot" for me
2. The System 8 cost 1/2 as much

east tx skier
06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd like to try the S8 some time to see how it compares. I haven't found the Monza to be to "hot" for me and I'm not shortline skier for what it's worth. I got a very good deal on a used one.

shepherd
06-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I haven't found the Monza to be to "hot" for me and I'm not shortline skier for what it's worth.

I remember you saying that. That's why I'd like to ride one some time.

06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Yea, I am still wrassling with the new ski thing too. I am thinking System 8. I am just not a good enough skier to benefit from the Monza. I have talked to several dealers and owners who tell me the monza isnt the best choice for me. I have been kicking around the idea of a Goode, but I wont fork out that kinda chang. And I hear mixed reviews on them. Plus, I think the 9000 series skis are beyond my level anyway. Goode says their 8000 would be a good fit, but you never see them used and I wont buy new for $1000 at "closeout" price. I think I can get a sweet deal on a leftover 05 System 8. I cant buy a new blank for $349 or get a used one. The problem with those ski tests is they are done by GREAT skiers. sure they arent pros, but Those people ski shortline course skiing, most of us dont. It would be nice to have a "regular guy" ski those skis. Remember (rodney Dangerfield)Marty Capuletti's line of Clothing in the movie "easy money"? The "regular guy look" :D well, thats what I mean. Waterski mag should do a test like that for intermediate skiers looking to move into better skis. Hey its not like the have tons of NEW information in every issue. To me that would be quality reading! I am sure alot of people coud benefit from it.

MarkP
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Yea, I am still wrassling with the new ski thing too. I am thinking System 8. I am just not a good enough skier to benefit from the Monza. I have talked to several dealers and owners who tell me the monza isnt the best choice for me. I have been kicking around the idea of a Goode, but I wont fork out that kinda chang. And I hear mixed reviews on them. Plus, I think the 9000 series skis are beyond my level anyway. Goode says their 8000 would be a good fit, but you never see them used and I wont buy new for $1000 at "closeout" price. I think I can get a sweet deal on a leftover 05 System 8. I cant buy a new blank for $349 or get a used one. The problem with those ski tests is they are done by GREAT skiers. sure they arent pros, but Those people ski shortline course skiing, most of us dont. It would be nice to have a "regular guy" ski those skis. Remember (rodney Dangerfield)Marty Capuletti's line of Clothing in the movie "easy money"? The "regular guy look" :D well, thats what I mean. Waterski mag should do a test like that for intermediate skiers looking to move into better skis. Hey its not like the have tons of NEW information in every issue. To me that would be quality reading! I am sure alot of people coud benefit from it.
Ill do a review of the 05 monza for you guys, (from an not shortline skier).

Holds angle like crazy

Turns on a dime, (all you have to do is THINK turn)

Lightning fast

Like most skis it seems to work best if you are really goin after it BUT if your not gittin on it it still skis..

I know it sounds like a review from someone that has one for sale,

That has nothing to do with it!!

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Yea, I am still wrassling with the new ski thing too. I am thinking System 8. I am just not a good enough skier to benefit from the Monza.

Please don't mistake me for a "good" skier. At 15 off and 30--32 mph ridden by me, a guy who has not been often accused of having great form, it rode like a dream once I got the approach boots on there. If anything would've scared me away from one of these skis, it'd be the price. Since I got mine broken-in, that factor was eliminated. Like you, I was worried that it'd be too much for me the first time I got on it. You just need to be prepared be conscious as to how the ski is performing and to make some adjustments to get it right for you.

For me, so far, the right adjustment has been as follows.

Fin. Stock. Approach boots, front boot back one hole from center. Rear boot, back two holes from center. No wing.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Ill do a review of the 05 monza for you guys, (from an not shortline skier).

Holds angle like crazy

Turns on a dime, (all you have to do is THINK turn)

Lightning fast

Like most skis it seems to work best if you are really goin after it BUT if your not gittin on it it still skis..

I know it sounds like a review from someone that has one for sale,

That has nothing to do with it!!

So you bought you an 05, eh Mark. Black or Blue?

MarkP
06-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Nope,

I have one just like yours. its a prototype Monza with the System8 graphics that Ian Trapp sold me.. Cool ski but I ski better on my Sixam. Dont know if its because of the size difference or what.

east tx skier
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Bummer. Did you mess with the boots or the fin at all?

shepherd
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
it rode like a dream once I got the approach boots on there.
Fin. Stock. Approach boots, front boot back one hole from center. Rear boot, back two holes from center. No wing.

Hmmm, so maybe it's the boots? :rolleyes: Maybe I should try some on my System 8?
Actually, like I told you UMP I like my System 8 - just think the skier needs some adjustments... ;)

zorax2
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the continuing feedback everyone. Its good to hear that East TX Skier finds the Monza to be a good ski for him. Im curious as to what other open water or 22 to 32 off 34 mph skiers (similar to my abilities) think of the Monza, System 8 or Nitro.

While I like the thought of starting out on a new high performance ski to get the feel of it prior to getting back on a course, Im also wondering if I should wait until I am actually able to ski on the course on a regular basis as I primarily ski open water. I do live on the lake though so I only go if it is fairly calm or there arent many other boats out.

Im sure the turning characteristics of the Monza will be substantially different from my Kidder EX and Im wondering if Ill be able to properly evaluate the ski without being on the course. Secondly, if I did get the ski and used it for open water skiing, would I really be able to tell how well it will work on a course for me? Right now, Ive got a lot of muscle memory of how to ride the EX so in spite of tiring quickly, I can still ride it well on the course or off. More thoughts anyone?

MarkP
06-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Bummer. Did you mess with the boots or the fin at all?
No bummer man.. I wanted to try one out.. I also wanted to try a 67 (my Sixam is 66).

I took it out a few times in a row, then brought the Sixam out. Dont know why but I ski better on the Sixam. All those things in that review that I offered a couple of posts back are true but they are true for my Sixam as well.

Dont know if its going 66 to 67 or going from Obrien to HO or what??

So Im keeping the Sixam and selling the HO..

06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
As someone else told me,(cant remember who)The trick is finding what works for EACH of us as individual skiers. It would be cool if we could have access to Sixams, Monzas, F1's, Goodes, D3, Mapples, etc... to try them all just to determine what works for us, but its not practical. so we go on what we read and hear. I would bet at my level, just about any high end ski would act similar, but when you really get shortline and start skiing them hard, thats when the differences appear. just my thoughts. Of course you can bring $$$$ into this too, I am not gonna fork out $1400 for a Goode, but I might fork out $349 for a System 8 blank that I can slap my animals on.

betsy&david Harrison
06-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey UMP!
I have the magic tele number to my connection. Now get this... I made a 34/15 pass today on my KD 7000 this morning! Do I really need that D3X5? You bet I do. I want to cut line BABY!! It is too late to phone this evening so I will make the call tomorrow morning. More info coming...stay tuned.

06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Cool Betsy! :toast: Let me know what you think of the ski! I have thought about D3 skis too. but I am too cheap, I am looking for a super cheap deal.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Cool Betsy! :toast: Let me know what you think of the ski! I have thought about D3 skis too. but I am too cheap, I am looking for a super cheap deal.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)
I'm calling right now....

BuoyChaser
06-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm calling right now....
spend the extra dough and get the X5, i love mine...so much easier turning and able to work on perfecting my form, could never be consistent on my Phantom...

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Update.... some guy that gets a new ski every year because he has big $$$'s is sending the D3 X5 to the connection because he wants the Nomad. IT IS MINE!! I'm sooo excited. He said it is like new and has only about 10 sets on it. 22 off here I come ;)

Jorski
06-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Congrats Betsy !

Be sure to let us know how it works out...the more information about various skis that gets posted here, the better!

Enjoy! But don't stopp at 22'...from your pictures (on the old fix my form thread) it looks like you could run 28 easily!

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Congrats Betsy !

Be sure to let us know how it works out...the more information about various skis that gets posted here, the better!

Enjoy! But don't stopp at 22'...from your pictures (on the old fix my form thread) it looks like you could run 28 easily!
That comes and goes! Wish I were as consistant as others. It helps to have a coach along now and then. Haven't had that in awhile. I lose rhythm, forget my timing on my gates, ect... Gets frustrating. Yesterday mornings ride I remembered it all and wow what a ride. I ain't perfect!

BuoyChaser
06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Update.... some guy that gets a new ski every year because he has big $$$'s is sending the D3 X5 to the connection because he wants the Nomad. IT IS MINE!! I'm sooo excited. He said it is like new and has only about 10 sets on it. 22 off here I come ;)
your gonna luv it, be into 28' in no time...

beef
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Coming from the 7000, you will feel right at home on the new ski. I made the same switch a couple of years ago. The X5 is faster and much easier to get across the course. Picked up two full passes on it since then. :woohoo:

zorax2
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
is sending the D3 X5 to the connection because he wants the Nomad.)

Is "the connection" something like ski-it-again.com? Are there other used ski outlets on the internet?

east tx skier
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I think she may be referring to UMP's connection. ;)

/that's just a joke.

As for used stuff, other than ski it again, there is also a page called ski bay on www.skifly.com with a few used skis, boats, etc. on it.

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 03:51 PM
My connection is actually a human being that speaks on the phone :D
I have PM'd UMP about it. I should have kept you in the dark a bit longer ;)

LakePirate
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
I would just like to thank everyone for their input on new skis.

With all this chatter about MYMC sending Monzas to everyone, Betsy getting all excited about her new ski and the 04 Waterski magazine ski tests that I was reading at the lake last weekend MY SKI WILL NO LONGER TURN LIKE I THINK IT SHOULD!

Thanks, Thanks a whole heaping lot.

betsy&david Harrison
06-28-2006, 11:57 PM

With all this chatter about MYMC sending Monzas to everyone, Betsy getting all excited about her new ski and the 04 Waterski magazine ski tests that I was reading at the lake last weekend MY SKI WILL NO LONGER TURN LIKE I THINK IT SHOULD!

Hey Lake...

I heard that the new Nomad, if you can afford it, is even better than the x5. B

betsy&david Harrison
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey HB...did you call the "connection?" B :D

06-29-2006, 11:14 AM

Lakey, your ski sucks!!! Get rid of it!!! NOW!!! YOu better order a new one by lunch time otherwise you will never ski worth **** again!

;) 8p

Uh....what kind of ski you got again? :o

MYMC
06-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Would it help if I took one of these System8s home skied it and gave you a review? Let me know...I'm game.

06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
If your offereing to me I dont know Mike, I appreciate the offer, but I from what you told me before you are skiing short line, and are a darn good skier compared to most of us longline guys. See thats the issue, we have nobody to get a "practical" review from on a high end ski because most guys that ski them are damn good skiers already skiing shortline through the course. So its difficult to get a review that would be applicable to us skiers at 15 off who are trying to get better. The idea of a new ski haunts me, but I keep thinking I should ski my vengeance for now as it should do just fine. The thing is, its not the ski, its the skier that needs to improve in my case. I just keep gassing for a new ride... :rolleyes: I know, I am a ski-tard.

MYMC
06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
You "longliners" decide who it will be and I'll send them the ski to demo at no cost as long as they agree to write a detailed review...there how do you beat that?

If your offereing to me I dont know Mike, I appreciate the offer, but I from what you told me before you are skiing short line, and are a darn good skier compared to most of us longline guys. See thats the issue, we have nobody to get a "practical" review from on a high end ski because most guys that ski them are damn good skiers already skiing shortline through the course. So its difficult to get a review that would be applicable to us skiers at 15 off who are trying to get better. The idea of a new ski haunts me, but I keep thinking I should ski my vengeance for now as it should do just fine. The thing is, its not the ski, its the skier that needs to improve in my case. I just keep gassing for a new ride... :rolleyes: I know, I am a ski-tard.

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
You "longliners" decide who it will be and I'll send them the ski to demo at no cost as long as they agree to write a detailed review...there how do you beat that?

UMP, just ski the thing and write the book report. I don't know how much more self-depricating about my skiing I can be. I stink. I'm enjoying the heck out the monza. Try it. You'll like it.

MarkP
06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
UMP, just ski the thing and write the book report. I don't know how much more self-depricating about my skiing I can be. I stink. I'm enjoying the heck out the monza. Try it. You'll like it.LOL, You tell em..

shepherd
06-29-2006, 03:39 PM

I'll do it on a Monza if you're serious. Like I said before on this thread, I sure would like to try one. Check your inbox Mike

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 03:42 PM

I'll do it!! Hey while your at it, fedex me a new 197 w/ the new motor. I'll write a review on that too! :D

06-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll do it!! Hey while your at it, fedex me a new 197 w/ the new motor. I'll write a review on that too! :D
You already ski a Monza you ski-tard!!! :D Plus, I heard your a pretty good skier too.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
You already ski a Monza you ski-tard!!! :D Plus, I heard your a pretty good skier too.

good skier?? I suck!

I'd try out a System 8 for giggles.

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I'd try one of those new D3s if my approaches would mount.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm playing with a set of Fluid Motion bindings right now. Haven't ski'd them enough yet to talk about them though.

www.jagersports.com

06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
good skier?? I suck!

I'd try out a System 8 for giggles.
You suck? why you on a Monza then?? wouldnt it be better to not be on their hot rod ski?(I am not being an a$$ here, just asking)

Why would you try the system 8 when you already have a monza? :confused: Seems to me thats going backwards.....

I am most interested in a S8. The thing is, I am cheap and want a leftover 05 and MYMC dont have any left, so its a mute point for me. I aint willing to part with the chang for an 06 model. I am el cheapo.

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
You suck? why you on a Monza then?? wouldnt it be better to not be on their hot rod ski?(I am not being an a$$ here, just asking)

Why would you try the system 8 when you already have a monza? :confused: Seems to me thats going backwards.....

I am most interested in a S8. The thing is, I am cheap and want a leftover 05 and MYMC dont have any left, so its a mute point for me. I aint willing to part with the chang for an 06 model. I am el cheapo.

I like top of the line shiznit. Get the Monza, it's a great ski as long as you don't try and ski in the chop.

MYMC
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Shepard,

I want you to start on a System8 and then we'll do a Monza...you game for that? Free ski and course if you have access at whatever line lengths you are comfortable (same with speed).

That work? What size ski and boots?

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Shepard,

I want you to start on a System8 and then we'll do a Monza...you game for that? Free ski and course if you have access at whatever line lengths you are comfortable (same with speed).

Guys is Mike the shiznit or what?? :banana:

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I like top of the line shiznit. Get the Monza, it's a great ski as long as you don't try and ski in the chop.

I skied in somewhat choppy conditions in the rain a couple of weeks ago and the monza handled like a champ.

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Shepard,

I think he's already got a system 8 though?

6ballsisall
06-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I skied in somewhat choppy conditions in the rain a couple of weeks ago and the monza handled like a champ.

I guess I am getting picky in my old age. ;)

shepherd
06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Shepard,

Sounds great Mike but I already have the System 8. So, how about I write up a review on that first and then you send me the Monza to demo. Or better yet, send the demo now so I can do a side by side, same day, same conditions comparison(?). I might even be able to get my ski partner to demo both - he's a "short liner" - for comparative purposes. (we wear the same size boots I think)

east tx skier
06-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I guess I am getting picky in my old age. ;)

Well, I thought about it when I wrote it. The water is usually so glassy that I call it choppy when a fish farts.

06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds great Mike but I already have the System 8. So, how about I write up a review on that first and then you send me the Monza to demo. Or better yet, send the demo now so I can do a side by side, same day, same conditions comparison(?). I might even be able to get my ski partner to demo both - he's a "short liner" - for comparative purposes. (we wear the same size boots I think)
This sounds like a good idea. He can really compare and contrast the skis haveing them out the same day. I vote for that. so should I start a poll about this? ;) 8p :D

I would be interested in seeing Shep's report seeing he is at the level ALOT of us around here are. I think it would be good.

PendO
06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
69.5" System 8 ... ready to touch the water Saturday AM :)
(buy your wife a bike - then go buy yourself a ski:)) (that's what I did)

06-29-2006, 10:27 PM
69.5" System 8 ... ready to touch the water Saturday AM :)
(buy your wife a bike - then go buy yourself a ski:)) (that's what I did)
You got a System 8 Pendo? did you just buy one? 69.6" hey, how much you weigh? I would be VERY interested in knowing how it skis! Please report :wavey: :)

LakePirate
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
I got an old CR7. Problem is I think I would rather drop the change on a portable slalom course than a new stick. But, if the new stick is that much better I might be convinced otherwise.

PendO
06-30-2006, 01:51 AM
You got a System 8 Pendo? did you just buy one? 69.6" hey, how much you weigh? I would be VERY interested in knowing how it skis! Please report :wavey: :)

6'3.5" 230# ump ... I'll ski it this weekend and get you a full report of it compared to my older CDX ... I saw the HO rep at a shop today and he said that the difference between my current ski and this ski was the difference between a yugo and a lamborgini (sure I spelled it wrong)

06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
6'3.5" 230# ump ... I'll ski it this weekend and get you a full report of it compared to my older CDX ... I saw the HO rep at a shop today and he said that the difference between my current ski and this ski was the difference between a yugo and a lamborgini (sure I spelled it wrong)
Your such a ski-tard Pendo, everyone knows its spelled Yoogo. 8p

I am really looking forward to your review of the ski. I was close to buying a used CDX, but I figured I would wait and try a Sys 8.

MYMC
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Well this sounds good to me...as long as UMP is okay with it. Do we need a poll?

06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Well this sounds good to me...as long as UMP is okay with it. Do we need a poll?
I think it would be a cool idea for Sheperd to demo the Monza and ski it right along side his System 8. that way he can really get a true feel of the difference between the skis. I am all for it! and of course Mike, I am all for conducting a poll too. but I guess we really dont need a poll for this :( I guess its between you and Shep. You send him the ski, and he can demo them both, and write the review. And us Longliners will read and learn.

SHep, never mind your shortline buddy writing a review, we can get a shortline review anyday ;) we need a longliner intermediate skier review, thats the whole point here! :D Just jokin, have your buddy write a review too. More the merrier.

Mike, thanks for offering to do this with Shep.

shepherd
07-03-2006, 06:39 PM
OK, I'm ready. Mike, I just sent you a PM and will try to call you Wednesday.

- Jim

PendO
07-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Your such a ski-tard Pendo, everyone knows its spelled Yoogo. 8p

I am really looking forward to your review of the ski. I was close to buying a used CDX, but I figured I would wait and try a Sys 8.

Okay UMP took my first 2 longline runs with the System 8 .... water was not glass, so hard to give a complete comparison yet ... my CDX is the 20th anniversary (so I am not sure what year that puts it at) ... if you lay the two on a level surface the camber is definitely different ... however, they seem to be simmilar in weight and have simmilar stability ... if I get a few good glass sets I will give a better opinion, but at present I think I may have upgraded for $900 and not have that much different of a ride ... oh, and if someone wants to buy the new set of double boots (Animals with Superfeet XL size) I am willing to part with them, as my boots of the CDX fit fine and I have no use for the boots ... I'm sure I will like the ski ... sometimes when I get done skiing the CDX I have a sore back ... back felt great after the System 8 rides, but that could be the "medicine" (HB) ... okay, ,later man!

betsy&david Harrison
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
No ski yet and I'm getting a bit worried. Going to have to call the guy again to find out the scoop and the hold up. It could very well be that the guy that may depart with the ski really likes it and then I'm screwed :eek3: B

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 11:15 PM
... my CDX is the 20th anniversary (so I am not sure what year that puts it at) ...

If it's 20th Anniversary, should be 2002 or newer. They kept the same graphics with all the repeat runs the last few years. I got those same graphics when I bought mine in 04. What boots are you running on the CDX?

Hoosier Bob
07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I saw that! Why does your reference to medicine have to include an HB? This site is reallygiving me a complex! Sounds like a match Casey and have you told everyone you PASSED THE B AR ! CASEY IS BONAFIDE! LAWYER BABY!!!! :D Okay UMP took my first 2 longline runs with the System 8 .... water was not glass, so hard to give a complete comparison yet ... my CDX is the 20th anniversary (so I am not sure what year that puts it at) ... if you lay the two on a level surface the camber is definitely different ... however, they seem to be simmilar in weight and have simmilar stability ... if I get a few good glass sets I will give a better opinion, but at present I think I may have upgraded for $900 and not have that much different of a ride ... oh, and if someone wants to buy the new set of double boots (Animals with Superfeet XL size) I am willing to part with them, as my boots of the CDX fit fine and I have no use for the boots ... I'm sure I will like the ski ... sometimes when I get done skiing the CDX I have a sore back ... back felt great after the System 8 rides, but that could be the "medicine" (HB) ... okay, ,later man!

shepherd
07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a match Casey and have you told everyone you PASSED THE BOARD! CASEY IS BONAFIDE! LAWYER BABY!!!! :D

You mean he passed the bar? If that's true, then Casey.... well, you have my sympathy.... ;)

Congrats brother.

PendO
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
If it's 20th Anniversary, should be 2002 or newer. They kept the same graphics with all the repeat runs the last few years. I got those same graphics when I bought mine in 04. What boots are you running on the CDX?

Animals front and rear for the CDX(the rear is sitting in a box since I use a RTP) ... and Animals Front and Rear for the Sys 8 ... I'd be willing to part with the new Animals with the Superfeet Inserts ... I did get a few runs on smoother water the other day ... not sure how to quantify the difference ... probably not worth the $900 upgrade, but I felt since I bought my wife a bike I should go out and spend a comperable sum of money ... oh, and it was my passing the Bar Exam gift to myself as well:)

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Shouldn't you be doing something with your wife about now? :confused: Animals front and rear (the rear is sitting in a box since I use a RTP) ... I'd be willing to part with the new Animals with the Superfeet Inserts ... I did get a few runs on smoother water the other day ... not sure how to quantify the difference ... probably not worth the $900 upgrade, but I felt since I bought my wife a bike I should go out and spend a comperable sum of money ... oh, and it was my passing the Bar Exam gift to myself as well:)

PendO
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Shouldn't you be doing something with your wife about now? :confused:

I have two kids 3 and 1.5 ... seems to get in the way of "something" :)

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Yes he did and he should be praised! Washington Bar I believe still constitutes some ethics! One of the few! ;) Go Casey!You mean he passed the bar? If that's true, then Casey.... well, you have my sympathy.... ;)

Congrats brother.

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Do what I do! Put them in front of the TV! ;) I have two kids 3 and 1.5 ... seems to get in the way of "something" :)

MYMC
07-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Animals front and rear for the CDX(the rear is sitting in a box since I use a RTP) ... and Animals Front and Rear for the Sys 8 ... I'd be willing to part with the new Animals with the Superfeet Inserts ... I did get a few runs on smoother water the other day ... not sure how to quantify the difference ... probably not worth the $900 upgrade, but I felt since I bought my wife a bike I should go out and spend a comperable sum of money ... oh, and it was my passing the Bar Exam gift to myself as well:)
If you are not feeling the difference between the two I would suggest that the fin in the System8 needs adjustment. Since the skis are nothing alike in construction and design something is wrong. There should be a clear choice either way since they are so different.

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
BAR!!! Sorry I had put a few away last night! :o
PS you can't spell BOARD with out B A R!You mean he passed the bar? If that's true, then Casey.... well, you have my sympathy.... ;)

Congrats brother.

betsy&david Harrison
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
HB.. here is the latest info I have on my ski....

Doug has not met up with his friend to give him the Nomad yet. The other guy that Doug gets his skis from may still have an X5 Custom in his garage. Doug says he is still trying to put something together for me. I hope soon because I get to ski again on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I'm getting cranky over here on the coast!

Hoosier Bob
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Hate waiting as well! I have not been out since Saturday and that was a rough day! Going out Sunday and making time for two or three rides next week! Take care and hope they come through! :D HB.. here is the latest info I have on my ski....

Doug has not met up with his friend to give him the Nomad yet. The other guy that Doug gets his skis from may still have an X5 Custom in his garage. Doug says he is still trying to put something together for me. I hope soon because I get to ski again on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I'm getting cranky over here on the coast!

Jorski
07-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm getting cranky over here on the coast!

NOw, now....don't get cranky, you have the summer off and you get to ski everyday !?

I do understand your frustration...I have a Goode 9700 that was supposed to arrive over two weeks ago that is lost in Fedex hell!

MYMC
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Shepard, I had to order a ski for you it should be here Monday...just wanted to give you an update.

shepherd
07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks Mike. No rush. If you would, let me know (here or by PM) when you send it so I'll know when to look for it.

- Jim

betsy&david Harrison
07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Shepard, I had to order a ski for you it should be here Monday...just wanted to give you an update.
Now I'm envious! Getting your ski from MYMC. I'm doing things the difficult way aren't I? Wish I could ski everyday but the boat is 1 1/2 hrs away. I have stuff to take care of here at home during the week or I would ski everyday. I couldn't handle the daily heat out there anyway. B

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I've never had anything show up as fast as when Mike sent me my ski. I said the word on Friday morning and it was in my hands Monday morning.

JohnE
07-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I just want to say thanks to everyone for a great thread. I'm looking for a new ski, and I've sent an e-mail to Mike. And I'm really looking forward to the review from Shepherd. His review will probably make the decision for me.

PendO
07-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey UMP (and other longliners) ... I spent the weekend on my new System 8 ... the fin setup is stock with the wing removed (same as my 02 CDX setup) ... Saturday night I finally got to ski it on Perfect water, then again Sunday AM on 0700 glass and 0800 glass and 0900 glass ... verdict, on glass it is definitely a different ski than my CDX ... the turns were very smooth ... if my old VTX was like denim, and my CDX1 and then CDX were like cotton, the System 8 is like Silk ... I probably skied more this weekend than I did all last year, part of it is the ski, and of course it is a lot more fun to ski behind a prostar than an Xstar:)

Weght wise my CDX and System 8 seem to be very simmilar ... my neighbor has a Phantom Truth 04' and his ski is a bit lighter, but it doesn't have the aluminum top ...

I'm gonna try and sell my CDX (69") it has double animals with AAS (adjustable arch support) ... anyway, loved the ski this weekend:)

07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks Pendo!:) Glad your Sys 8 is a nice ride! I think thats gonna be my next ride too. I am anxious for Shep to write his review on the Sys 8 and Monza after he skies them side to side. :popcorn: Its gonna be interesting. This should be fun! I am in no hurry to upgrade as I am really happy on my Vengeance, but you know. always looking for a better mousetrap. Pendo, keep skiing that ride and let us know how you "settle" in with it after you get used to it.

Betsy, hang in there, hopefully your ski deal will work itself out soon.

betsy&david Harrison
07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
I found a D3 Demo on line, now I have to call and see if they have my size ski. They are advertising it for 400 bucks! Then I'm calling the guy I have been in contact with and see if he wants the sale since he has been kind to me. Leaving tonight for the lake...ski ski ski

JohnE
07-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Pendo,

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning to the System 8, but holding off until the big review.

John

07-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Me too John, I think the Sys 8 is just what the doctor ordered. I am really looking forward to Shep's review!:popcorn: :popcorn:

Gentlemen, I have a FEVER! and the only prescription, is more COWBELL!:headbang:

shepherd
07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I thought the Sys 8 was the ticket too a few weeks ago when I was just getting back into 22 off. But for some reason after taking a week off from skiing to go to Daytona my skiing has been crappy :mad: The ski seems really unstable and wants to throw me off. Maybe I should have left the fin alone. Anybody know what the original factory settings on the fin and wing are? MYMC?

JohnE
07-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Shepherd, sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.

John

Farmer Ted
07-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey UMP (and other longliners) ... I spent the weekend on my new System 8 ... the fin setup is stock with the wing removed (same as my 02 CDX setup) ... Saturday night I finally got to ski it on Perfect water, then again Sunday AM on 0700 glass and 0800 glass and 0900 glass ... verdict, on glass it is definitely a different ski than my CDX ... the turns were very smooth ... if my old VTX was like denim, and my CDX1 and then CDX were like cotton, the System 8 is like Silk ... I probably skied more this weekend than I did all last year, part of it is the ski, and of course it is a lot more fun to ski behind a prostar than an Xstar:)

Weght wise my CDX and System 8 seem to be very simmilar ... my neighbor has a Phantom Truth 04' and his ski is a bit lighter, but it doesn't have the aluminum top ...

I'm gonna try and sell my CDX (69") it has double animals with AAS (adjustable arch support) ... anyway, loved the ski this weekend:)

PM at ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

shepherd
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking "operator error" right now and this is hopefully just a slump. But we've been tweaking the fin some to set it up better. I'd like to go back to the original fin and wing settings as a baseline for my comparison with the Monza. (I know, I know... I didn't save them... :cool: )

07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Shep, I have had "those" kinda nights too. Ya know when your in a slump. Try not to blame it on the ski and just work through it. You will be fine. Just keep the faith. Just keep skiing. MarkP gave me this advice when I was having the same trouble last season. Mark said: "Be the Ski", "Beeeeeeeee the Skiiiiiiiiiiiiii" He was right! Just get on the ski and drag. Relax. clear your head. Take three DEEP breathes and exhale them. feel your body loosen up. Dont rush it. Just give yourself time. Breath. and just FEEL yourself move as one WITH the ski. SKI, just move with it dont get all mentally cranked up. It defeats me all the time. Just relax. I do my best skiing when I am not all stoked up. just chill out, and let that ski do its thing, you dont have to make it.

shepherd
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
OK UMP, too bad you can't be there to be my kung fu master. Beeee the skiiiii.... Actually, what I probably need is more COWBELL! ;)

- grasshopper

PendO
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking "operator error" right now and this is hopefully just a slump. But we've been tweaking the fin some to set it up better. I'd like to go back to the original fin and wing settings as a baseline for my comparison with the Monza. (I know, I know... I didn't save them... :cool: )

when you get the Monza look at the settings on it and just do the same to the System 8 ... also, if you get a chance take the wing out, I'd be curious to see what you think.

PendO
07-11-2006, 12:55 AM
PM at ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the PM system is Jacked up ... I got your email though.

07-11-2006, 08:24 AM
also, if you get a chance take the wing out, I'd be curious to see what you think.
Dont listen to him SHep!!!! They ****** me on the wing thing, dont listen to them!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

;) j/k

Be the ski Shep, just be the ski!

Gentlmen, Shep has a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!:D

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Shep, here are the stock fin settings for the System 8 and Monza.

http://www.skitek.net/tek/articles/skisettings.php

shepherd
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks East. From the looks of the table, it looks like I can do what PendO said and verify the settings against the Monza.
Pendo, I tried my Sys 8 without the wing. Didn't like it, the ski didn't want to turn for me. Just one of those individual preference things I guess...

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Are you using calipers to measure that fin?

shepherd
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Are you using calipers to measure that fin?

No. The fin on my sys 8 has pretty good reference lines on it - of course, not down to the scale that some calipers could read...

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm very new to the fin adjustments game, but as I understand it, a little goes a long way (x.xxx). I picked up a dial caliper set from Northern tool for about $29. This was because I new my ski was used and thus, wasn't showing up with the fin set to stock, which is where I wanted to start.

Jorski
07-12-2006, 02:03 PM
After 22 days lost in the wierd and wonderful world of fedex...my new (to me) Goode 9700 arrived yesterday. I can't wait to try it this weekend.

I am going to mount my HO animals on it, I will report on it on monday!

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Are you going to have to drill holes or has goode started putting threaded inserts on their skis?

07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Are you going to have to drill holes or has goode started putting threaded inserts on their skis?
Good question!

Jorski
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM

I am firing up the Makita cordless :( ! I will be installing the inserts myself.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
There is a good tip on doing this on the Nicholls forum. Probably within the last week or so.

6ballsisall
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
No. The fin on my sys 8 has pretty good reference lines on it - of course, not down to the scale that some calipers could read...

Shep those lines are no where near accurate enough... .10 you can feel, thats WAY less than the lines on your fin. You need an 8" caliper.

6ballsisall
07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I am firing up the Makita cordless :( ! I will be installing the inserts myself.

I dont know why Goode doesn't do that. That seems to be the one contention from people owning or thinking of owning a Goode

Brent
07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Goode is trying to sell it's powershell boot system! The 3m dual lock velcro on the bottom of Animal plates may not be a bad way to go. I would hate to drill holes in a 9700.:( :(

07-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I think the powershell system looks interesting. I am too cheap to fork out that kind of cash though.

betsy&david Harrison
07-13-2006, 12:36 PM
I think the powershell system looks interesting. I am too cheap to fork out that kind of cash though.
Do you remember the guy Bakersfieldskier who did the ski test? He is John Horton, Dr. Jack's son of Horton Lakes. You should email him from his posting and ask for his advice on using the shell. A lot of the guys and gals out here use them now. B

Jorski
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Do you remember the guy Bakersfieldskier who did the ski test? He is John Horton, Dr. Jack's son of Horton Lakes.. B

Funny, I got the Goode 9700 from his partner in the ski tests, Joe Darwin.

PeteS
07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Goode has not started putting inserts in their skis as of yet. I've done inserts on a few skis now, and if installed correctly they will hold.

Below are excellent instructions by Paul Jager of Fluid Motion on the install. Follow them to a "t", and you'll be fine. Also feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions:

3.0 Installation of Stainless Steel Inserts for #8-32 Screws
First tape the ski as shown to help with
marking and installation. Then carefully
mark the centres of the holes for the
inserts. Punch a centre point and use a
small drill to make the first hole in the ski
top.
If you already have screws that is fine,
move onto the next size of drill.
We use 13/64" drill for the insert's hole
followed by a counter-sink bit applied to
the top of the hole for a cleaner flush finish,
as shown.
OPTIONAL STEP: To make installation a
bit easier, you can first tap the hole way
with a tapping bolt as shown or use a use
a tap if you have one.
OPTIONAL STEP: A Dremel cutting disc
can be used to put a small slot in each insert so a flat blade
screwdriver can be used to get the insert set just below the ski top,
after the insertion bolt has been removed.
Load up the insert using the 8-32 bolt and nut as shown.
Put some 2-part clear Marine Epoxy (preferred) or Superglue on
the insert before the installation. We use the West System
available at any marine store. You may also purchase a high
quality epoxy available in syringe form.
Screw in the insert until the nut is flush and snug with the top of the
ski. DO NOT over tighten, otherwise the insert will simply
strip the ski and become loose. If you do strip the ski, contact
us for supply of oversized inserts with large diameter knife threads.
Now use some pliers or a small spanner to back off the nut
slightly on the #8-32 insertion bolt, while holding the #8-32
insertion bolt with a screwdriver. Unscrew the bolt until it comes
free from the insert and can be removed.
To be sure the threads stay clean, take a bolt lubricated with a
small amount of silicone grease, and insert this bolt into the insert
before the epoxy cures, removing 12 hours later. Take a fresh #8-
32 screw to make sure the threads of the insert are clean from any
epoxy or glue etc.
Allow the epoxy or superglue to cure before checking for
strength.

JohnE
07-16-2006, 10:40 AM
OK, so I'm really obsessing over what to buy. I'm dying to hear more from Shepherd, and I've contacted Mike and am waiting to hear from him. (It's been a few days, but I know he's busy)

I checked out Wiley's and they have an '05 Sys 8 for about $600 w/ double approach. I'm thinking that since bindings are worth almost $400, should I just order it if they are still in stock. All I have to lose is the $200, less if you factor in a demo charge.

Oh yeah, but they don't have any 68's left, just 70's. I weigh 200, so I was thinking that would be ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's really time to get something better than my '93 O'brien. I haven't ski'd more than a few times a year in the last 6-8 years. But with my new (to me) boat this year, I'm getting out a lot more. If I procrastinate a few more weeks, I may as well wait yet another year.

Thanks,

John

JohnE
07-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I don't know, looking around maybe I should just go with Connelly Concept for $400 and see how it works. Anything wil be a big improvement in equipment.

I will probably place an order middle of this week on either the concept or sys 8, so again I'd welcome any thoughts. All the advice so far has really been beneficial. (Although I'm still undecided)

Thanks,

John

07-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Consider an Obrien Synchro too. THey are a good deal on Overtons right now. I think $299. they are a good ski, especially if you have been off for a few years. they are a bit wider and more forgiving. Good ski to get back in the groove with. I wish I had bought one last year, but got the Obrien siege instead(mistake). I should have got the synchro, plus, its a good "boat ski" to have as a back up, for someone to progress or learn on, and its nice for a more lisurely ride once in a while. Just my 2 cents. But I dont know your skill level either, if your a great skier, you may be bored and unsatisfied with it. if you an intermediate, I think its a good choice. :) I currently ski a HO Vengeance which is the step below the Sys 8. I love the ski, but I am kicking around buying a Sys 8 too. Good luck, and let us know what you buy!! :)

JohnE
07-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks UMP,

I ski mostly open water 15 - 22 off. I ski the course less, as my wife is not as comfortable driving it as she is in open water. Again anything will be a big improvement. I don't want to obsess about the "perfect" ski, as right now anything will be a big bonus.

The feedback is appreciated.

John

07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
If your 15 to 22 off. the System 8 may be a fine choice for you. I hear good things about the new HO Nitro too, but its new, so there are no "last year model" deals. But You may be able to find a blem to get a deal or a demo if you want to keep the price down. But there are alot of skis out there to choose from. If your skiing at that level, anything like a O'brien Mapple, Connely F1X, would be good choices too. Let us know what you decide and how it works please!:)

MarkP
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
If your 15 to 22 off. the System 8 may be a fine choice for you. I hear good things about the new HO Nitro too, but its new, so there are no "last year model" deals. But You may be able to find a blem to get a deal or a demo if you want to keep the price down. But there are alot of skis out there to choose from. If your skiing at that level, anything like a O'brien Mapple, Connely F1X, would be good choices too. Let us know what you decide and how it works please!:)
Id say go to a more aggressive ski than you think you need. My third got a mapple last year (the first ski he has ever owned) and this year he rarely brings his ski with him when we go out. He just uses my Sixam or the Monza, depending on what ski I happen to bring..

07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Id say go to a more aggressive ski than you think you need. My third got a mapple last year (the first ski he has ever owned) and this year he rarely brings his ski with him when we go out. He just uses my Sixam or the Monza, depending on what ski I happen to bring..

Interesting viewpoint Mark. :toast: Given the level he scribed himself skiing at, the skis I orininally recommended would probably be no fun for him. Thats why I changed my tune to the Sys 8 or Nitro, Mapple, etc.. but maybe he would be happier on a Monza, Sixam, D3, Goode or something like that if he is skiing that well.

Jorski
07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
I think that everyone should try the high end skis...sometimes they suit long liners and sometimes they don't.

A high end ski isn't over your head if it helps you get that "next" pass. Conversely, if a "lower" model helps you get that pass, then there is no shame in saving hundreds of dollars and skiing better.

RexDog1
07-17-2006, 06:43 PM
I just got a grate deal on a 2005 Sys 8

I have had it out 2 times now, and I like it a lot

Now if only I could only learn how to ski behind my X2

JohnE
07-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Just got off the phone with Wiley's. They sold the last sys 8 Saturday! After a long talk with Wiley Sr., I decided to take a Connelly F1X. It was between that and the Nitro. I couldn't take trying to make the decision any more so I went with the F1X. He said he didn't think they had sold a Nitro yet. F1X was $405, and Nitro was $465. That's reasonable enough that if I ever need better equipment, I won't mind dropping a grand. He also informed me that my old O'brien Procircuit is actually a very desirable ski. Said that he actually tried to buy the molds from them, (must of been whoever bought O'brien I guess) but they had already been destroyed.

I'm not around this weekend so it will be a while until I can report.

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

John

07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I just got a grate deal on a 2005 Sys 8

I have had it out 2 times now, and I like it a lot

Now if only I could only learn how to ski behind my X2
Rex! talk to me goose! I want to know about that Sys 8! Where did you get it? PM me dood!! lets talk skis! I am so waiting for Shep to write his review on the SYs 8 vs. the monzsa. :)

John, good luck with the F1X, my buddy skis one and he loves it. It skis really well for him too. :)

Jorski
07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Finally after a long wait due to a shipping problem with Fedex...I got to try my new 9700 last weekend. I didn't get to the course, just free skiing at 28 off, 34 mph to try to get it roughly dialed in.

First impressions: This ski weighs less than 3 lbs w/o the bindings. it is about half of the weight of my previous ski. In fact, when I first got in the water with it on my foot, it felt like it would break, or that there was nothing there. BTW, it doesn't feel that way while skiing. This is a beatifully finished ski with a ton of performance and it is a fireball of acceleration.

First set: the fin set to stock numbers. It turned out that the exact stock setting for the the front boot was between holes for my boot (this was a slightly used ski, that had been drilled to the HO pattern. I decided to use the existing holes as new ones would have been too close to the existing ones) - so I used the hole on my animal plate that put the boot just forward of the stock setting.

Result: ski turned like a demon but there was way too much tip in the water. I was getting spray in my face while going straight. I was living in fear of a nasty out the front fall.

Second set: Moved the boots back one hole. Left the fin settings at stock.

Result: WOW! This ski was now very fast. It felt light and super responsive, yet no slipping or stalling in the turn on either side and nothing even close to tail blowout. My ski partners thought that I had too much ski out of the water and was skiing on the tail. That would certainly explain the warp speed I was achieving behind the boat.

Third set: I left the boots where they were in the second set (moved one hole back from the first set) and added tip by increasing the front edge of the fin. the ski responded by behaving about half way between the first and second settings. I could turn equally well on my onside and offside (unusual for me) and could get some pretty amazing acceleration. The ski is very stable with this setup and I think that I am getting pretty close to where I want it to be.

Unfotunately I ran out of weekend, so next weekend I am going to take out some tip by raising the front of the fin to half way between setting one and setting two. Hopefully that will give the best combination of speed and stability. At that point I will begin to try to fine tune any particular problems that pop up in the course.

Based on this limited test, I would recommend this ski to anyone who wants more speed in the course and wicked turning ability. So far I am having fun !

beef
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the informative review of the 9700. This ski is definitely on my list of "want to try's". Sounds like it's very responsive to setup changes. How much tip did you give the fin to adjust for the binding placement?

MYMC
07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Shepard,
Just got back in the office (from the honeymoon) and the ski is here...do I need to do fin set-up or can you do that if I give you the numbers?

07-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Awesome!!!! COngrats on teh new ski!:D

07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Shepard,
Just got back in the office (from the honeymoon) and the ski is here...do I need to do fin set-up or can you do that if I give you the numbers?
:woohoo: WOO HOO!! the Monza is on the way, that means the Shep ski review is on the way! Shep, holla back Mike so he can ship that bad boy to you!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cottonwood
07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Having skied on every Goode model, the 9700 is more closely aligned w/ the 9500 / 9100. It tends to drive the tip in at the backside of the turn. I think you'll find less tip and more depth will "dumb down" the aggressive feel of the ski yet still generate angle. If you take out tip without adding depth, you will possibly blow out the tail. Therefore, I would recommend 6.856 length (flat) 2.453 depth and stock DFT. Not all calipers measure the same when using the jaws to measure length. This may take some experimenting. I found that my fin would not go any shorter than 6.856 without grinding on the slot.

These seem to be general numbers that are working for most. At least it's a good place to start. The extra depth will keep the tail from sliding at the finish of the turn and the shorter fin will allow the tip to stay up. Goode's are the most sensitive ski when it comes to fin movement. Only adjust .020 per move. Even that small an adjustment will make a big difference.

Davo
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
After a long talk with Wiley Sr., I decided to take a Connelly F1X.
Cool. I've been watching this thread and doing a little reading as I'm getting back on the ski as well and the FX1 looks like a great choice.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Had a great day at ski school yesterday. Skied better than I've skied in a long time by the time all was said and done. I agree with Mark. Go high end and you'll never wonder. It was a good feeling to be wide and early yesterday. A new one for me.

MYMC
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Had a great day at ski school yesterday. Skied better than I've skied in a long time by the time all was said and done. I agree with Mark. Go high end and you'll never wonder. It was a good feeling to be wide and early yesterday. A new one for me.
Great to hear Doug.

Jorski
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Eastie, what did they have you working on ? Any interesting drills ?

07-18-2006, 11:32 AM
The last time I was "wide and early" was when I was 311 lbs. and woke up at 5:00 am to go fishing!8p

bcampbe7
07-18-2006, 11:36 AM
The last time I was "wide and early" was when I was 311 lbs. and woke up at 5:00 am to go fishing!8p

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
That is great to hear, Doug

Thanks again, Mike, for getting me into this great ski.

Eastie, what did they have you working on ? Any interesting drills ?

This is my fourth year to go there. We drilled a lot last year. This year, we stuck with the course almost the entire time. Three things this year.

1. Elbows in. This has always been my problem. Just something I need to prioritize. The results are so immediate when I get it right. Like everything, I just need to drill it in until it's automatic. Much harder to do during my 5th pass of my fourth set. But after two cartwheeling OTF falls during my first two sets, I was reminded not to do let up in the afternoon.

2. Down arm pressure. In other words, more pressure on my left arm going to 2, 4, 6 balls, right hand going to 1, 3, and 5. This is usually the first thing I forget to do. But it seems that I don't release early when I remember to do it. Which sets me up so much better timingwise.

3. Timing. Getting wide. Holding my pull through the second wakes before releasing for and nice glide through the turn. Felt so good being wide and having such a nice angle on my off side.

07-18-2006, 12:07 PM

This is my fourth year to go there. We drilled a lot last year. This year, we stuck with the course almost the entire time. Three things this year.

1. Elbows in. This has always been my problem. Just something I need to prioritize. The results are so immediate when I get it right. Like everything, I just need to drill it in until it's automatic. Much harder to do during my 5th pass of my fourth set. But after two cartwheeling OTF falls during my first two sets, I was reminded not to do let up in the afternoon.

2. Down arm pressure. In other words, more pressure on my left arm going to 2, 4, 6 balls, right hand going to 1, 3, and 5. This is usually the first thing I forget to do. But it seems that I don't release early when I remember to do it. Which sets me up so much better timingwise.

3. Timing. Getting wide. Holding my pull through the second wakes before releasing for and nice glide through the turn. Felt so good being wide and having such a nice angle on my off side.
Neat picture! I need to get to ski school too, but I cant because the one I went to last year thats near me isnt open this year. :(

07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
BTW, eastie is that a balding spot on your head in that pic? or just the way the lighting is?8p ;) :D

MYMC
07-18-2006, 12:18 PM

It is a real shame you had to ski in all that chop!

BTW, more angle my boy...that ski tip needs to be pointed at the opposite shore not down course.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I was first off the dock after lunch. Unfortunately, I did not make good use of that glass in my first pass (pictured). Yes, more angle was needed and, in fact, occassionally achieved in later passes. :o By that time, the breeze had picked up. I used this picture because of how nifty the water looked. The full picture is pretty cool looking, but I had to crop so that the boat wouldn't be visible. :)

105 degrees was predicted yesterday. Fortunately, we had some clouds roll in and save us.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
BTW, eastie is that a balding spot on your head in that pic? or just the way the lighting is?8p ;) :D

Oh, and must be the lighting. I still have my hair.

MYMC
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Good stuff, glad to see and hear the skiing is improving.

07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh, and must be the lighting. I still have my hair.
You sure? maybe your not only the hairclub moderator, your also a client....?:D ;)

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Yup, pretty sure.