PDA

View Full Version : New ski decision

Pages : 1 [2]

Cottonwood
07-18-2006, 04:47 PM
East Tex: Next time you're in the neighborhood, look us up. We've been fortunate to have some great skiers come thru and provide some instruction. We'd be happy to pass along what we've learned. Jamie is coming in on Labor Day weekend if you and/or some of your gang wish to participate. Let me know.

jhd

6ballsisall
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Shepard,
Just got back in the office (from the honeymoon)

Congrats you two!!! :banana:

Jorski
07-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Having skied on every Goode model, the 9700 is more closely aligned w/ the 9500 / 9100. It tends to drive the tip in at the backside of the turn. I think you'll find less tip and more depth will "dumb down" the aggressive feel of the ski yet still generate angle. If you take out tip without adding depth, you will possibly blow out the tail. Therefore, I would recommend 6.856 length (flat) 2.453 depth and stock DFT. Not all calipers measure the same when using the jaws to measure length. This may take some experimenting. I found that my fin would not go any shorter than 6.856 without grinding on the slot.

These seem to be general numbers that are working for most. At least it's a good place to start. The extra depth will keep the tail from sliding at the finish of the turn and the shorter fin will allow the tip to stay up. Goode's are the most sensitive ski when it comes to fin movement. Only adjust .020 per move. Even that small an adjustment will make a big difference.

Thank you for the guideline ! I did notice the sensitivity to small changes, I may need to tinker for a while to get it right.

east tx skier
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
East Tex: Next time you're in the neighborhood, look us up. We've been fortunate to have some great skiers come thru and provide some instruction. We'd be happy to pass along what we've learned. Jamie is coming in on Labor Day weekend if you and/or some of your gang wish to participate. Let me know.

jhd

Thanks. I really appreciate the offer.

shepherd
07-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Shepard,
Just got back in the office (from the honeymoon) and the ski is here...do I need to do fin set-up or can you do that if I give you the numbers?

Mike, welcome back and congratulations!

I can do the fin set-up if I go out and buy some calipers, which it sounds like I need (Does anybody have suggestions where I can get some and what kind I need? I've never used them before.)

MYMC
07-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Ski will leave today and I will PM you the numbers I would like you to use. As for calipers ETS found some pretty cheap, so maybe he can chime in for us on where. I will mount the boots where they should be for a RFF skier. If you have any questions about set-up or changes during your test call me at the shop or my cell phone.

And thanks for the congrats...I'm a lucky guy.

beef
07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Cheap calipers can be had at Harbor Freight Tools, or there's a guy on eBay that sells a digital with a buy it now of around $20. Make sure you get no smaller than 8".

shepherd
07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
I was hoping I could get some at Home Depot or Sears or someplace like that? Would they have them?

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Got mine at Northern Tool and Equipment (8" Dial Caliper) for $29. Came in a nice storage case and worked well.

shepherd
07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, here's one they have at Lowes, which I can pick up tonight or tomorrow. Here's a stupid question: How can you use this to measure your fin depth, i.e., how do you get "0" on the caliper at the bottom of the ski so you can measure to the top edge (when ski is upside down) of the fin? Should I be able to remove that end piece on the left so that the "0" mark can sit directly on the ski surface?

east tx skier
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
This should help. From Goode's (http://www.goode.com/wsfinadj.html) website.

But as some have said above, get the 8" caliper. That's the 6".

Davo
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Just got off the phone with Wiley's. They sold the last sys 8 Saturday! After a long talk with Wiley Sr., I decided to take a Connelly F1X. It was between that and the Nitro. I couldn't take trying to make the decision any more so I went with the F1X. He said he didn't think they had sold a Nitro yet. F1X was $405,...

John - what boots did you get for that price?

The Stoker boots weren't very comfortable (especially the back boot).

JohnE
07-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Sorry, been away for a few days. I got Wiley boots.

John

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Shep.....get that Monza yet??? Guess what.....I got to ski one yesterday!!!!:banana: :headbang: I am totally waiting for your write up on the Monza vs. the Sys 8.:popcorn:

6ballsisall
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok, here's one they have at Lowes, which I can pick up tonight or tomorrow. Here's a stupid question: How can you use this to measure your fin depth, i.e., how do you get "0" on the caliper at the bottom of the ski so you can measure to the top edge (when ski is upside down) of the fin? Should I be able to remove that end piece on the left so that the "0" mark can sit directly on the ski surface?

Shep

As shown in your pic, for measuring the fin depth/height use the short stick type piece as seen on the right side of your picture. Push the end of that piece up against the ski bottom and slide out until you reach the end of the fin. Voila!

shepherd
07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Shep.....get that Monza yet??? Guess what.....I got to ski one yesterday!!!!:banana: :headbang: I am totally waiting for your write up on the Monza vs. the Sys 8.:popcorn:

You beat me to it UMP! cool. Well...???? How did you like it? According to FedEx, the Monza should arrive today. Hopefully, I'll be riding it tomorrow night.

shepherd
07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Shep

As shown in your pic, for measuring the fin depth/height use the short stick type piece as seen on the right side of your picture. Push the end of that piece up against the ski bottom and slide out until you reach the end of the fin. Voila!

Thanks jr. I figured it out after I got my own (8", not the one in the pic). I guess it was a stupid question.

07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
You beat me to it UMP! cool. Well...???? How did you like it? According to FedEx, the Monza should arrive today. Hopefully, I'll be riding it tomorrow night.
Well Shep, I only skied it two runs. First was just to get to know it, and figure out what it was gonna do. THe second was to test it out a bit. I felt very comfortable on it. It didnt feel wild or unstable at all. I was a bit gingerly on it as I had already ran two long hard runs on my Vengeance, and I was trying to conserve some energy to TRY to learn to barefoot(thats another story, pics coming in a day or two). but I liked what I did have on it. It was a nice ski, it felt comfortable and confident. It was a 67" so it was maybe a bit short for a 200lb guy with a waterlogged westuit and pfd, but it skied good. I may be better suited to a 68". I think I am gonna buy a Monza or Sys 8 in my future. we will see.

6ballsisall
07-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Well Shep, I only skied it two runs. First was just to get to know it, and figure out what it was gonna do. THe second was to test it out a bit. I felt very comfortable on it. It didnt feel wild or unstable at all. I was a bit gingerly on it as I had already ran two long hard runs on my Vengeance, and I was trying to conserve some energy to TRY to learn to barefoot(thats another story, pics coming in a day or two). but I liked what I did have on it. It was a nice ski, it felt comfortable and confident. It was a 67" so it was maybe a bit short for a 200lb guy with a waterlogged westuit and pfd, but it skied good. I may be better suited to a 68". I think I am gonna buy a Monza or Sys 8 in my future. we will see.

Save some arm strength at MM 2.75 to ride my 68" Monza LFF ;)

07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Save some arm strength at MM 2.75 to ride my 68" Monza LFF ;)
NO more barefooting!!!:mad: Hoosier Bob was right! he said when I fell that my @$$ cheeks would hit me in the back of the head! and he was RIGHT!!! My back is sore today! Had to try it though. I was doing my best JC impersonation trying to WALK on the water off the boom. I was on my butt skidding along and I kept trying to put my feet down and looked like I was pedaling a bike!:D 5 attempts, 5 failures. one time VERY close. Had to try it though. ITs tuff! OK back to skis.

JR. I may own a Monza or Sys 8 before MM2.75, we will see....

east tx skier
07-24-2006, 10:54 AM

I remember the first two rides. After the get to know you phase is over, the ski just gets better.

07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Please tell me you got the ski today Shep!:popcorn:

shepherd
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Please tell me you got the ski today Shep!:popcorn:

UMP, eat yer heart out buddy! :banana:

Just finished setting the fins up to the initial settings...

07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Shep, you DAWG!!!!:worthy: :headbang: NOthin like $2 grand worth of skis on your work bench!!!!:toast:

Talk to me Goose!!! Get out and ski those biotches!!

shepherd
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
$2 grand?!!?!?!?!?! :eek:

sssshhhhhhh... don't tell the wife... :o

JohnE
07-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Although I've already ordered my new ski, I'm still very interested in the review. I know you'll keep us posted. Have fun with the skiing.

John

07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Shep, I am dyin' over here! Whats the story on those skis my brutha??:popcorn: :popcorn:

I may have to call you! your probably on the lake with it right now!:D

Davo
07-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Just finished setting the fins up to the initial settings...
Nice! I like how you positioned that Corona for the pic. :D

UMP - your enthusiasm is contagious!

6ballsisall
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Get the Monza UMP! You'll love it!!

east tx skier
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Gotta get it UMP! ;)

shepherd
07-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Shep, I am dyin' over here! Whats the story on those skis my brutha??:popcorn: :popcorn:

I may have to call you! your probably on the lake with it right now!:D

Had a good test session last night. I want to go out at least two more times before I give my report because what I'm thinking right now may change by next week. All I'll say right now is that BOTH skis are good.

Next test is planned for tomorrow evening. We had some good water last night. Here's a pic of the laboratory:

JohnE
07-27-2006, 06:32 AM
You're teasing us!

07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Yea, well he's really teasing me! ;) He has a Monza cruising around the water, and I dont. He's just dangling a carrot in front of my face!8p He is just puttin me thru he11.

07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
well Shep, whats UP?? I tried to call you tonite to see how the skis were performing. I left a message on your cell phone. Holla at me on Friday if possible. I want to know how day 2 was with the Monza. :D Talk to me Goose!:)

PendO
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
well Shep, whats UP?? I tried to call you tonite to see how the skis were performing. I left a message on your cell phone. Holla at me on Friday if possible. I want to know how day 2 was with the Monza. :D Talk to me Goose!:)

Ump, do you have manlove for Tom Cruise??

Hoosier Bob
07-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Behind every UMP is a strong MANZA!:D Ump, do you have manlove for Tom Cruise??

07-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Ump, do you have manlove for Tom Cruise??
"you got the phone number for that truck driving school Mav? I think we're gonna need it!"

Nope Pendo, just a great movie!

07-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Behind every UMP is a strong MANZA!:D
MONZA Hoosier, MONZA!!! ya know the SKI!!:rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Where the heck did I get Manza from? Oh well what ever works right UMP? Leather bindings I suppose?:o MONZA Hoosier, MONZA!!! ya know the SKI!!:rolleyes:

Davo
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I rode the Monza tonight....repeatedly made 6 at 15' off goin' 32 mph. There was a slight chop and this was my first time on the course in ages so needless to say I was stoked! It felt a little squirly at times, but overall a smooth ride and turned nicely. It's super light. Here's Mike laying one down...

Hoosier Bob
07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Nice shot Super Dave! Looks like a great time!:D

shepherd
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM

PM at ya UMP. Day 2 was pretty good. On both skis :)

07-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Well Shep, what did todays test show??

I imagine your out skiing it now:)

6ballsisall
07-29-2006, 10:13 AM
UMP wants one bad!!! :D Go for it dude!! Demo one for yerself and see what you think!

07-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Well JR, the issue is the "inner slalom skier" is battling with the "inner cheapskate" and that is where the problem lies. :D Yes, I want one, but I dont wanna fork out big chang for a ski. THe drama is amazing at this end!

6ballsisall
07-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Well JR, the issue is the "inner slalom skier" is battling with the "inner cheapskate" and that is where the problem lies. :D Yes, I want one, but I dont wanna fork out big chang for a ski. THe drama is amazing at this end!

Do you want me to jump on one of your shoulders and beat the little guy telling you not to do it? Would that help you out?? :D

07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Do you want me to jump on one of your shoulders and beat the little guy telling you not to do it? Would that help you out?? :D
That might help!:cool: but how you gonna know WHAT shoulder to choose??

6ballsisall
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
That might help!:cool: but how you gonna know WHAT shoulder to choose??

intuition UMP, intuition.

Actually I don't have intuition like that, but since Ric is a sheila, she does, she will help :D

Ric
07-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Buy that ski ump before you drive yourself insane... I'd go get one if I was getting more water time this year!

NOT complaining about the advances I've gotten the kiddos to make this summer, but Ric do need some slalom time right about now and THEN he will be talking monza

07-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Buy that ski ump before you drive yourself insane...
You've already done that.

Ric
07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
driven myself insane?

07-29-2006, 01:01 PM
driven myself insane?
no, driven me insane.

Ric
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
no, driven me insane. how? .

shepherd
07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Man, the old body is sore. Skied Tuesday, Thursday and today. Heading back out for one last test session tomorrow night. I'll try to get the full report out to you guys Monday. It's a tough job but someone's got to do it.

Now, excuse me while I get a beer to wash down this Motrin :cool:

07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
easy on mixing that beer and motrin buddy! I want you to have a liver at age 50!:)

shepherd
07-29-2006, 09:50 PM
easy on mixing that beer and motrin buddy! I want you to have a liver at age 50!:)

Skipped the Motrin, stuck with beer. Feeling kind of numb right now. I'm out fellas. Have a nice Sunday.

07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
How you feeling today Shep?? you going out for one last spin on that Monza?? whats the verdict?? Inquiring minds want to know!:D

shepherd
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm OK. Thanks for asking. My back's a little sore after skiing yesterday morning and then shovelling and moving 21 wheelbarrow loads of gravel from the driveway to the backyard yesterday afternoon. I got a 6:00 appointment at the lake tonight so I'm just going to rest up before then.

I'm not riding a "Verdict", only a Monza and System 8 ;)
The promised ski review will probably come tomorrow afternoon.

07-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Well SHep, you should have thrown a Verdict in there too, just for good measure!:)

shepherd
07-30-2006, 01:53 PM
The guy I'm skiing with has a Connelly F1X I could try, and I thought about bringing my old KD 7000, but figured that would really confuse things. :rolleyes:

07-30-2006, 02:14 PM
The guy I'm skiing with has a Connelly F1X I could try, and I thought about bringing my old KD 7000, but figured that would really confuse things. :rolleyes:
ah were is your sense of adventure!;) Do a real world ski review. Grab a SIXAM and a Goode on the way while your at it. 8p

07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
I got a PM from Shep, and the ski review should be finished soon. He said he will be posting it when finished. Hopefully we will see it today!:D

betsy&david Harrison
08-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Finally! My new ski came yesterday. It is purty as a picture and light as a feather. Can hardly wait to try it out....not until September 8 or 9 depending upon David's knee surgery. He is having Arthro to repair the meniscus. Should be up and around the next day. But I want to ski NOW!

beef
08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Nice! That X5 is one beautiful piece of work. Interested to see how you like it.

88 PS190
08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm really impressed by D3's finish and the way they ski.

I had a Goode 9200 and the finish was no where near as nice as this nomad.

rodltg2
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
By The Way I Still Have Mine For Sale , Slightly Used 66.5" 2006 D3 X5, Blank Or With Large Bindings. Pm Me If Interested..