PDA

View Full Version : taxes on boat and trailer?

kycat2007
05-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Just curious, on my 88 Tristar I just paid taxes on the boat( no trailer)and got it registered.
On the 1997 VRS200 I just bought I got the title for the boat and a title for the trailer. The previous owner did not include the value on what he sold it for on either title..
Do you have to pay taxes on the trailer and registration?
Does the amount on the titles matter when it comes to paying taxes and registration?

Thanks
in advance,
Brad :popcorn:

LakePirate
05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Brad

What state are you in?

I know I just bought a tag for my trailer and it was a PITA. Had to have it registered as homemade. They asked me for a value so I could pay taxes on it next year, as it is already past my birthday. I told them a dollar, they didn't like that so much so I think it is valued at a grand or so. Didn't pay any ad valorem tax on the boat.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
In Texas you do.

kycat2007
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I live outside of Louisville, KY. I bought the boat in IN.

The previous owner did not put the value in so I could put it in if there was an issue on the taxes. Like your example with the $1 dollar trailer.

ajgressette
05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
State of South Carolina:
I just have to pay taxes on the boat. Inboards are not required to pay for the motor as outboard are. No tax on the trailer. :banana:

LakePirate
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I didn't say if you should or not, I just didn't...I'm sticking it to the man.

ajgressette
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Heck I am sick of paying taxes! We are all about "Tax Poe" now!

Werkin' to pay da taxes :dance:

kycat2007
05-10-2006, 04:45 PM
We are paying takes for gas, boats, trailers, soon they will want to tax lovin!!! :friday:

ajgressette
05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
We are paying takes for gas, boats, trailers, soon they will want to tax lovin!!! :friday:

I will be moving in the poe house! 8p

bigmac
05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
No property taxes on either boat or trailer in Minnesota. The boat has to have a new registration every three years, which costs $45 registration fee for the three year period.

Trailers over 3000 lb GVW (like a MasterCraft trailer) are supposed to pay an annual registration/licensing fee of $15/year, but my dealer submitted my trailer registration as a less-than-3000 lb GVW utility trailer saying "Let's try it - sometimes the state lets it slide", and indeed, the state DMV went for it, so I paid $60 for a lifetime registration for the trailer - no annual fee or tax.

NSXBill
05-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Three separate taxes or fees in GA

$36 for 2 or three years boat registration to the GA Dept of Natural Resources.

$20 for tag + ad velorum tax (can be a lot depending on trailer value - how new) to GA DOT for trailer registration, every year.

Yearly personal property tax assessment on your boat by county. They assess depending on what your boat is, not what you say its worth (unless it is really old or nobody knows what it is - if its valued over $7000 in NADA, you're paying).