PDA

View Full Version : Teak or Fiberglass Platform?

airporter
10-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Hello happy watercraft owners!

Just finishing off the deal on an 05 X9 and wondering should I opt for the fiberglass or teak boarding platform. I know the teak is more durable, but looks a bit shoddy over time. I understand the fiberglass is susceptable to damage. Any suggestions, comments?

erkoehler
10-06-2004, 01:55 AM
teak, keep it looking good with alittle preventative maintenance and it will look good for years.

AirJunky
10-06-2004, 02:28 AM
I have a teak step on a '94 205. The previous owner got his rope caught in the prop & broke the last rung in it. So the first thing I had to do was repair it using a new rung & stainless screws.
I keep the boat on the water for 8 months a year & have averaged around 100 - 125 hours of use per year for the last 3 yrs. I live in WA where the sun is pretty easy on things (as opposed to TX or CA). But the teak looks like crap after a few days in the sun & water, all bleached & white. I have sanded & oiled it till it looks great in the garage. 2 weeks later it's right back to where it was. And during the first few days of that period, the swimstep is slick & tough to step on from up above.
So if your going to keep your swimstep & boat in the garage, go for the teak. It definitely looks damn good. But if you use your boat a lot &/or store it outside, then a glass step may serve your purpose better.

And heres an option for ya: http://airjunky.com/traxxed

jimmer2880
10-06-2004, 07:37 AM
After owning both - I prefer teak. Much more durable, but you do have to constantly oil it to keep it looking nice.

ski_king
10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
I vote for teak. More durable, but more work.

Bert
10-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Teak is the only way. Very easy to maintain if you stay on top of it. In my opinion composite decks just don't look as nice. The teak platforms that have been covered with some other foreign material are just plain ugly.

G-man
10-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Teak is the best in the long run as long as you take pride in your boat and keep up with your teak. Sure it is more work but owners of boats that keep them clean tend to also do factory recommended service. These are the people that have less problems with their boats and get to use them more.

MasterCrafting
10-06-2004, 11:58 AM
TEAK IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

my 2cents!

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Gotta say teak, although I can understand where airjunky is saying. If you store your boat outside, those platforms come off pretty easily. Once a year sand/oil with touch ups keeps it looking new enough for me. I wouldn't call it show quality. But I don't use it for show. I use it to stand on while I'm putting on my ski.

jpattigr
10-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Classic Teak!!

crdickey
10-06-2004, 12:58 PM
My 197 came with teak, I special ordered the fiberglass. The teak platform has a larger surface area but after using it and having my ski slip all around on the surface, I much prefer the fiberglass because of the rubber grip tread surface. Personally, I think it looks better than the teak.

crdickey
10-06-2004, 01:01 PM
I tried to post comparison photos but did nt come through, so let me kow if you want them email.

André
10-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Teak all the way...And not affraid to scratch it! That thing is design to put skis on!

VTJC
10-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I have had both teak and fiberglass. The teak was on my 88 MC and my current 99. I had a fiberglass on my 98 Moomba. I think the teak looks better and is easier to keep that way. My Moomba’s was scratched & cracked. But there was no easy way to fix it. Dunk any teak platform in the water and it looks new, when the boat is used. They are also a little more traditional. But I do miss the grip the foam on the Moomba had on the ski, but it was starting to wear. I vote for teak, you can sand almost anything out. Its funny when I got the 99 MC I wanted a fiberglass platform after the Moomba, but I am now glad to have teak. Jamie

WallenpaupackPA
10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
I treated my last teak swim platform with Cetol Marine Light by Sikkens and it made my platform look like furniture and the finish was very durable - still looked darn good after 2 seasons of frequent use. If I still had that boat (it was a Malibu, I now have a 2005 X2) I would have done some touch-up to the platform with an additional coat over the winter. I'm expecting to put that finish on my new platform this winter. It's a finish that's made for marine use (obviously) and is particularly good on teak.

tex
10-07-2004, 12:32 PM
I have an 02 w/teak. I thought that the fiberglass looked good. I heard that MC was having major trouble with the rubber coming up on the fiberglass platforms.