PDA

View Full Version : '84 S&S Stereo Help? Problem: There isn't one

CrownRoyal
05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Guys>>
I am about to put in a stereo system in my new to me '84 S&S, any help would be appreciated. Nothing fancy, just wanna know if I need a Marine rated head unit or one of those water-tight boxes since I need somewhere to attach the unit? I also will probably just run 4 speakers to start with and where to install? About to get upholstery redone and carpet redone, so if I need to build boxes to put them in, now would be a good time since I can get them covered in the same carpet, will probably add some cupholders beside the speakers? Should I install the head under the bow, with access thru the Observer seat back? Also, how do I hook the stereo to the battery on an '84???
Thanks
Clueless

sberry3827
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Short on time, but I have an 85 and probably can give you some good ideas. i'll get back with ya

83MC
05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I have a 1983 S&S. I mounted two 6.5" (round) speakers under the dash; removed the "tray" under the mirror and fabricated a board to bolt to the existing mirror bolts. The stereo is mounted under the dash just behind the observer's seat. Iím currently having a mahogany grill made at a local sign shop which has a CNC machine. The grill will mount under the mirror. My goal was to drill/cut as few holes as possible. I also installed a remote on the dash. If you would like additional information, let me know.