PDA

View Full Version : Ever drop a screw in your gas tank???

firstmc
05-09-2006, 04:14 PM
The screw that connects the gas cap to the boat must of rattled out and into my gas tank... Is it something to be concerned about? Any ideas on how to get it out?

vogelm1
05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
ICBW...but if indeed the screw did fall in the tank, it would be heavy enough to settle (and stay) on the bottom. The strainer or filter would normally keep it from going anywhere; like up into the fuel pick up.

The only way I would know of to get it out, is to go in through the tank. Not sure of the specs on you boat...the newer EFI motors have a fuel pump mounted on the top of the tank - by removing the pump, you'd have access to the entire inside of the tank. If you're lucky enough to not have very much gas in there you could probably see it laying in there somewhere. A small magnet securely attached to a rod might help fish it out??

jmyers
05-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Your just screwed! :D Sorry I couldn't resist! Seriously the magnet idea should work, I don't think I would leave it in just in case!

LakePirate
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Ever drop a screw in your gas tank???

Not in mine.....but I met this girl at a bar one time...

Footin
05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

vogelm1
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Your just screwed! :D Sorry I couldn't resist! Seriously the magnet idea should work, I don't think I would leave it in just in case!

I don't think any of us would be comfortable knowing it's rolling around in there...whether it would further damage anything or not. I'd agree that it would bug me knowing it's in there and you should try to fish it out.

rodltg2
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
try and use the boat as too burn as much gas as you can. when you get home remove the gas cap, turn the boat upside down and shake the screw out..

JDK
05-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Don't worry about it. It's stainless steel (not going to corrode). Hardly worth taking the lid off the fuel tank to get it back.

Sodar
05-09-2006, 06:18 PM

The screw is stainless... using a magnet will not work.

AirJunky
05-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I don't think I'd mess with it till I found another reason to pull the tank. ie; fixing the gas guage.

jmyers
05-09-2006, 06:27 PM
The screw is stainless... using a magnet will not work.
Well who the h**l put a stainless screw in there? Didn't they think you would have to use a magnet to get it! :rolleyes:

wiltok
05-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I did the same thing about 2 years ago. Asked the dealer - he said don't worry about it. I do check to make sure the replacement screw is tight though!!

ajgressette
05-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I dont think it would ever get past the filters, but i do like the idea of turning the boat upside down and shaking it out. :D

Sodar
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Well who the h**l put a stainless screw in there? Didn't they think you would have to use a magnet to get it! :rolleyes:

LMAO!! You would have thunk some engineer would have prepared for this!!