PDA

View Full Version : Painting my MC

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Just thinking about it, what would be involved with painting my Mastercraft. I was wondering what it would take to make it shine really good again. The majority of it looks pretty shiny but there are some dull spots that I cant get to shine. Any recommendations?

Jeff

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Have you tried buffing it out??

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Have you tried buffing it out??

I have buffed it out and 95% of the boat looks really good. HOwever, the back portion (last 1' or so) it looks like the paint is rubbing off a little. Is that the gel coat?

Bert
10-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I have buffed it out and 95% of the boat looks really good. HOwever, the back portion (last 1' or so) it looks like the paint is rubbing off a little. Is that the gel coat?

can you post a pic. of that portion? Wet sanding and polishing may be required

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Ok heres a pic. It's a real closeup to see the spot. Hope its clear enough

G-man
10-05-2004, 09:41 PM
yes it is gel coat. A good fiberglass could match color and blend into the good section. I have seen professional detailers polish out some bad off boats and they look good again. You then need to stay on top of keeping them polished.

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
yes it is gel coat. A good fiberglass could match color and blend into the good section. I have seen professional detailers polish out some bad off boats and they look good again. You then need to stay on top of keeping them polished.

Any recommendations? Should I call a local marine shop and ask where they would go to? Any idea what kind of $$ this might be?

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Probably a few 100$ to have a boat buffed out.

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
So all that spot needs is a good buffing and it will go away?

G-man
10-06-2004, 09:44 AM
It's hard to tell what that spot is. It looks like a stain to me. A fiberglass shop could possibly buff that out or at least determine what it is.

Thrall
10-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Jrandol,
It's hard to tell if that spot is a stain or if the gel coat has been worn through and thats fiberglass. If all the gel coat is gone there, that's not good and it will need to be recoated. If the spots are minor, you should look at having the gel coat repaired in those areas.
If it is just a stain, or minor scratches that are not all the way through the gelcoat, then it can be sanded and buffed out.
Either way, it's not advisable to "paint" the boat, as paint does not hold up as well as gel coat to abraisions. You can paint it and the paint will bond fine if the surface is properly prepped, but will get damaged much easier than gelcoat.
If you wish to sand and polish out the spots, it's more of a tedious process than a difficult one. You have to be careful that you don't sand away all of the gelcoat down to the glass.Start w/ 400 to 600 grit paper on deeper scratches and work up progressively 400, 600, 1000, 1200 grit. Each time, sanding just enough to remove the scratches of the previous grit. Minor scratches and stains, start w/ 1000 and then goto 1200. You must sand everything wet, w/ a sanding block and clean the paper and squeege the surface as soon as the paper begins to pick up a little material. Remember, the lower the grit, the coarser the paper is and the quicker it will take off material. If anything err on the side of caution and use a higher grit #. It will take longer, but will decrease the chance of sanding through the gel.
After sanding is complete, you need to buff and then polish the sanded area. You need a power polisher for this and good quality pads.
I use 3M products (from any auto paint store). First use 3M Machine Compound (can't rmember the exact name, but it is designed to take out 1200 grit scratches. After 1 or 2 cycles w/ this, then use 3M Finesse It polishing compound for 1 or 2 cycles, following the directions on the bottle. Wax it and you're done. Always use a separate pad for the rubbing compound and polishing compound.
It'll cost you about $150-200 for the buffer, pads, compounds and paper, + your time, but then you'll have the stuff to do it on your boat, cars, etc whenever you need to.
If you're uncomfortable w/ starting on your boat, go to a junkyard and pickup a hood (get one that's dented or something real cheap or free). Get a later model one w/ clearcoat and practice. You'll be able to tell what you're doing right or wrong and the material you remove will always be clear unless you burn through the clear and then you'll pick up color from the basecoat. Practicing on a car panel will be good because typically the clear on an auto is thinner than the gel on your boat.
Hope this helps you out.
For reference, the boat I bought this year was really oxidized and had many small scratches on the transom, deck and bow (deck). I sanded the scratched areas, and buffed and polished the entire boat, except the bottom. It was a 24 beer job! Took me an entire weekend, about 20 hrs. I'm sure the cost from a body shop would've been at least $500 though.

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
When I got the hull repaired on my father-in-law's boat, it had some stains on the gel coat that I'd tried repeatedly, yet unsuccessfully, to buff away. Got it back with no stains at no additional charge.

Thrall
11-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Check this out for oxidation removal.

mitch
11-03-2004, 09:08 AM
If you do decide to paint, I can send you a bunch of pics of my 89 Tristar. The dark blue stripe was redone in Dupont Imron. It came out perfect and held up great for years.

Thrall
11-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I've heard good things about Imron for marine apps. Was it all above the water line?
Not a big fan of painting over gelcoat, but I might consider it, as the stripe on my boat is not the best looking IMO.

mitch
11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Most of it was above the water line, but some was not, and the boat stayed in the water all season. Zero issues.

6ballsisall
11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
If you do decide to paint, I can send you a bunch of pics of my 89 Tristar. The dark blue stripe was redone in Dupont Imron. It came out perfect and held up great for years.

Would love to see some pics of yours painted. Can you send them to jdrandol@hotmail.com please?

André
11-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Jeff
My 94 Prostar was repaint with Imron buy a professionnal fiberglass repair guy because it had osmosis under the waterline.
The hull looks great with no osmosis at all but i keep my boat on a lift.The gelcoat was entirely sanded,left to dry for sometimes in a heated shop then painted with Imron which is supposed to be as waterproof as gelcoat,just a lot less shiny.
If you don't let your boat sit in water for a long time,i think it's ok to repaint under the waterline...
Good luck! :twocents:

André
11-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Will try to post you some close up pictures this Week end...

mitch
11-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Jrandol, You've got mail. Andre is right, it's not as shiney as gel, but holds up very well

Thrall
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
back to the top