PDA

View Full Version : Running engine out of water

Jimperry
05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
What do I need to do to run the 5.7L engine in my 2000 190 PS while it is on the trailer. Is there a way to hook it up to a garden hose?

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
My preferred method is to run a garden hose into a 5 gallon bucket and drop the pickup hose into the bucket.

You can shove the garden hose into the hose that leads to the tranny cooler and clamp it down, but I like to see the engine pull from the bucket.

There are several ways to do this. This is just the way I do it.

rodltg2
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM
this, should be available at most boat stores

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-09-2006, 11:58 AM
this, should be available at most boat stores
just bought the "plunger". works great. ran the boat for about 1.5 hours at different rpms. Any local boat shop will have one. 30 seconds to install

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Be sure you're on level ground if you are using fake-a-lake.

88 PS190
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
additionally with the fake a lake, watch your hose. If you see the hose start to collapse you are not providing enough water to the engine, and its over drawing.

ETxS's version with the bucket is good because while you sit in the boat if you see the water dropping you can kill the engine. And if you set the bucket so overflow goes into the bilge and leave the plug out you get a free bilge cleaning while you're at it.

bigmac
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Fake a Lake won't work on V-drives because the raw water intake is totally blocked by one of the trailer bunks.

To run out of water, I disconnect my raw water line from the intake fitting and plug in a fitting that I made that I connect up to a garden hose. Turn on the hose, start the engine. I have to be careful not to turn the garden hose up to much or it is apparently possible to over-cool the engine.

http://mccollister.info/fitting.jpg

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Important to watch your water flow. I can't really use a fake a lake because our water pressue absolutely sucks at our house. I can't get enough water to the engine to succesfully run the motor.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
And if you set the bucket so overflow goes into the bilge and leave the plug out you get a free bilge cleaning while you're at it.

Sounds like a modification is in order. Good idea.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I thought the thermostat would adjust water flow for right temperature regardless of source or water temperature?

To run out of water, I disconnect my raw water line from the intake fitting and plug in a fitting that I made that I connect up to a garden hose. Turn on the hose, start the engine. I have to be careful not to turn the garden hose up to much or it is apparently possible to over-cool the engine.

http://mccollister.info/fitting.jpg

AirJunky
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I made a Fake-a-lake out of a $6 plunger & a .99 cent garden hose fitting. We've run it on numerous boats over the years in the driveway & never had a problem.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
at low rpm the hose is fine. Kick those rpm's up and the boat and impeller will really start craving more water...probably more than the hose can produce.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
at low rpm the hose is fine. Kick those rpm's up and the boat and impeller will really start craving more water...probably more than the hose can produce.

I think the max recommended rpm on the trailer is 1,200. But you're right, even below that, my boat is thirsty. I recently had my water pressure turned down at the house and the boat can drink more water than my hose is putting out.

bigmac
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I thought the thermostat would adjust water flow for right temperature regardless of source or water temperature?

As I was winterizing it, I had the faucet turned up all the way and after 15 minutes running still couldn't get the thermostat to open until I turned the water flow down. Temp on the gauge wouldn't go beyond 140 IIRC. It apparently was all just blowing out the exhaust.

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 07:47 PM
As I was winterizing it, I had the faucet turned up all the way and after 15 minutes running still couldn't get the thermostat to open until I turned the water flow down. Temp on the gauge wouldn't go beyond 140 IIRC. It apparently was all just blowing out the exhaust.

Which is why I remove my T-stat when I run the anti-freeze through. That way I know that the block has anti-freeze in it.