PDA

View Full Version : Checking the Tranny Fluid

kdr
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
I bought a 99 205V this winter and decided to replace the transmission fluid with oil. After draining the fluid and flushing several times with fresh oil, it occured to me that I didn't know the proper way to check the level. I don't have the manual for this boat, so I couldn't check the procedure or the capacity. I removed about a gallon of ATF, but after putting in 3 quarts of oil in, the dip stick was registering full.

Does the boat need to be running, like a car? Is it best to check tranny fluid level on the trailer or on the water? Anything else I should know?

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Check it without the motor running. Also, I usually check while floating.

Bert
05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Some oil will drain back out of the cooler. To establish the warm and cold full level on the dipstick.
Check on water. When transmission warm and right after you shut the engine down check level to get the warm full level. Then you can check before you run the boat next time and you will have the cold full level.

kdr
05-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys,

I water tested everything last night and everything appeared to be fine. I did get a few hard shifts but it seemed to smooth out as things warmed up. I aslo heard a very high pitched whine that I was not used to. I attributeted this to the fact that I had the back seat out of the boat for better access and the sound is normally blocked. I'll test it again tonight with the seat in.

Tom023
05-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if you have the hurth 63 v-drive transmission that is currently being used, but the instructions also state that when you insert the dipstick to check level, DO NOT screw it down, just insert and remove.