PDA

View Full Version : Netflix .. Good or Bad?

atlfootr
05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Netflix .. Good or Bad?

I finally decided I've been ripped off long enough by BlockBuster, that I actually have giving
thought to sign'n up for Netflix. Our neigbhor's use it and seem to like it .. anyone else out there use it?

Plans start at only $5.99 a month.
http://www.netflix.com/Default?hnjr=3

Datdude
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I thought it was a great idea, so I signed up and ordered some movies. The problem was that it took 7 business days from the time I put the movie in the mail back to them before I got my next movie(happened twice). We do not watch a lot of movies so I was on the 1 movie plan. Their local distribution center is 200 miles away, so I don't think it should take 7 days. I cancelled after one month and rent from a local movie shop and pay the same as Netflix. They give you a 30 day free trial so it is worth a shot and if it doesn't work out you can cancel and pay nothing.

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
We enjoy it, especially in the winter months when we are inside more. My wife keeps a Que of movies we are intersted in. When we watch the ones we receive we drop them in the mail on Monday and by Thursday we have 2 new ones. It works great for us.

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
We enjoy it, especially in the winter months when we are inside more. My wife keeps a Que of movies we are intersted in. When we watch the ones we receive we drop them in the mail on Monday and by Thursday we have 2 new ones. It works great for us.

We love them as well. One thing we really like, is that if a movie is still in the theater, you can add it to your que for when it becomes available on DVD.

Also - we stop & start our subscription several times per year depending on what season it is. We just stopped ours for the summer, but will pick it back up in the fall, then drop it again in the winter. Best thing is, they never delete your account - so your que is never emptied.

Drop ours off Monday morning, & have it again Wed or Thurs.

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Only downside to the program is we have rented some pretty crumby movies lately :rolleyes: Have you guys seen Weatherman with Nicolas Cage?? Good gawd that was horrible!! :eek:

I guess the upside is that we don't pay per movie anymore.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
We just started. We need to get on a good schedule. Shipping has seemed a bit slow so far. Still worth it if we can get through a few movies per month.

I miss Kozmo.com. Best idea that didn't work ever.

mplv
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
i signed up and then for some reason cancelled the same day, they sent me an email asking i come back at half price. still didnt do it but it might be worth a shot.

M-Funf
05-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Have you guys seen Weatherman with Nicolas Cage?? Good gawd that was horrible!! :eek:

Aw crap! I just got that one...

I've been a netflix member forever. I decided to join after I read a quarterly report for Blockbuster that said 40% of their profits came from late fees. :eek: I signed up before they had the "subscription" thing, and I could rent one movie at a time :popcorn: . Now I'm on the 4 movie program for $19/mo.

I think it's a great deal if you live close to a city. My movies usually get back to them in one day, and I get the next movie the following day.

Ryan
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I've used Netflix and Blockbuster online. Both are way better than paying near $5/rental in-store. To me the mailed service and selection is undifferentiated...they're both really good. But, I'm less than 50 miles from each co's dist center. I like Blockbuster-online better because they email a coupon to get an in-store rental for free, no tax or anything. It cures the impulse desire to go get a movie that I can't get with Netflix. And, when I'd go in on a week day, I can get that new release right away, rather than wait 2-4 weeks for the online back order. You get one coupon/week or two/month depending on your plan.

I only sign up in spurts, get caught up on all the movies I haven't seen in theaters then wait a few months till there's a new batch that I really want to see. Either co. is great for those that travel. I love having two-three movies to choose from when an ailine movie is lame.

mitch
05-09-2006, 12:37 PM
We've used Netflix since the beginning (stop iit n the summer). Service seems slower recently and the fam has been complaining that lots of the disk are coming in scratched. Great website, and overall a decent deal.

Byrdman
05-09-2006, 04:17 PM
If you are close to a receiving center, it is great. With two kids and a wife I never got out of Blockbuster without spending $25 in new rentals and late fees. I put my movies in the mail and the get there the next day and ship out the new ones.

AirJunky
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I joined Netflix back when it started 2 or 3 yrs ago. Like others have said, we found we only used it in the winter so we cancel each summer. Last fall I joined Blockbuster instead. It was $15/month instead of the $20 or $22 that Netflix charged & was basically the very same service.

M-Funf
05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I joined Netflix back when it started 2 or 3 yrs ago.

They must have started before that... :confused: I've been a member for at least 6 years...

AirJunky
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Yea, could be. It was a couple years before I moved away from Seattle, which was almost 3 yrs ago.

kpickett
05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
I think the biggest plus we've gotten out of Netflix, is that they have a much bigger selection than any video store I've ever been in. You can pretty much get anything from them. If you're interested in things like concert videos, documentaries, and old tv series, you can get them.

Plus, there are ways to maximize your Netflix experience. I'm sure you can figure them out on your own.

point1234
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Used netflix off and on watched alot of Sopranos and some kind of off the wall stuff. I give Netflix two thumbs up.

atlfootr
05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I did it, I signed up for Nextflix and so far have 21 DVDs in my Queue.
Look fwrd to watching them as soon as tomorrow, thanks everybody!

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
So far, shipping has been pretty slow on ours. We're still getting more movies than we were when the local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video was our source.