PDA

View Full Version : solar heating

sizzler
05-09-2006, 06:45 AM
solar heating....any of you guys had any experiences with solar heating????i am thinking of installing it on my roof for my hot water and central heating......am told it will provide 100% of my needs in the summer and about 75% in the winter..i will have a back up gas boiler to help out when needed.......we dont have much of this over here,so i'm asking the faithfull

8p

sizzler
05-09-2006, 10:41 AM
BUMP

any takers????

erkoehler
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry, nobody in my family or any of my friends have solar heating. :(

JimN
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I just googled "Solar water heating eqiopment" and got 5.5 million hits. It's all out there. Theory, equipment, etc.

ski_king
05-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Sorry, not much help, but I have seen some homemade solar swimming pool heaters which are basically made from black polyethelene pipe running back and forth across the roof of the house with the the swimming pool water circulating thru it. It seemed to work well.

The USDoE web site has some information on solar heating.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/RE/solar_hotwater.html

I didn't think the sun shined enough in the UK to make solar heating worth while.

bcampbe7
05-09-2006, 12:02 PM
The local news had a guy on the other day that just installed solar heating panels on his house.

If you are looking to do this to save money, you may want to re-think. The cost of the equipment and set-up is so high that you will not recoup your initial investment. He was heating his entire house though...

This guy did not do it to save money, he did it to save the environment. I imagine it does help in that respect, but how much?

That news story is the extent of my solar heating knowledge. :o