PDA

View Full Version : G'day all & New boat break-in questions

Morgs
05-09-2006, 05:23 AM
G'day everyone,

After nearly 2 years of just visiting the site as just a guest, I have decided its time to step up, register and start officially contributing to this great forum.

I am originally from Australia now living and riding in Zurich, Switzerland. I ride for the Swiss MasterCraft team, we have been lucky enough to use sponsored boats over the last few summers, however, this year I have bought my own boat - an 06 X-Star (MCX). Itís absolutely fantastic and the feeling of having your own boat is something that I cannot describe (Iím sure nearly everyone here knows what Iím talking about).

Now for the help request - I know there have been several threads relating to this topic, however, Iím hoping I can have your views on some specific questions relating to new boat break in -

How bad is it to run the boat at a constant speed for long periods of time (e.g. wakeboard speed)? We did not use it for wakeboarding until it had about 8 hours on it. Can we now use it as normal (riding) from now on?

At what stage/hours can we start riding with tanks? At what stage/hours can we start riding with extra ballast (on top of the standard tanks)? - until now we have run with a light load only.

How important is it to complete the first service at exactly 10 hours? Is it better to leave the break in oil in for longer or remove it ASAP? I have been told by a couple of people to run it up to 20 or 30 hours? What's best?

Many thanks in advance for all of the information - wishing you all a great, warm, happy, and safe season of riding, skiing, and footing.

Cheers, Paul

sizzler
05-09-2006, 06:14 AM
welcome to the board paul.......i've skiied on lake geneva,so i know how pretty those swiss lakes are....

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Welcome, Paul. No idea on your break-in questions. BUMP.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Welcome aboard and funny after all of those years of riding with the team how you are very interested in the health of your own boat now! Very natural and common. We all love our MC's.

I was told after 10 hours use it, which seems to be a common answer. I cannot remember what the dealer told me on the first oil change. I would try to go by what your dealer says to do especially at first since this has warranty implications.

Morgs
05-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Many thanks for the welcome guys.

Sizzler, the lakes over here are awesome, lots of glass this time of year and heaps of snow capped mountains in the background - just really, really cold at the moment.

Eastie, thanks for the BUMP.

Leroy, we never were lucky enough to use a brand new boat - they always had hours on them, still loved them just the same though. I think we will just start to use it as normal from now on and slowly increase the amount of ballast over the next 5 - 10 hours. Regarding the dealer recommendations around the first oil change, itís been left up to me to decide when - I think I will just do it at 10 hours as per the manual. Thanks for the info.

Footin
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Morgs, evrey go out on lake Constance?

Maristar210
05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
This one has been covered here before (see argued). My two cents is; Let it warm up and vary the throttle position up to 2500 RPM for the first 5 hours continously then throttle up to 3000 RPM's max up to 10 hours. Dealer check and change oil then "letter fly". Good luck and welcome, the guys you will meet here are like none other. I mean that in a good way you understand... ;)

Steve

sand2snow22
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Not to be a smart, but did you get an owners manual? Good information in there. The owners manual does say to change the oil at the 10 hour mark, my dealer hinted you could go a little longer before changing. I know of one person who has your same year boat & engine, loaded it up with full ballast plus 2k pounds of extra ballast and went wakeboarding and surfing at the 0 hour mark? I don't think that was too smart, but last I heard everything was still OK....

Morgs
05-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Footin - We ride there every year at the Any-Wake contest in Steckborn, its kind of a small section of the Bodensee (Lake of Constance) - Really nice lake, absolutely massive though, it boarders both Switzerland and Germany. One guy sunk a new X-Star there last year...storm blew up really fast late one night and waves flooded the bow and down she went...no one hurt, luckily - It was recovered, however, still a very sad story.

Maristar - Cheers for the advice, we did exactly as you recommended. I have taken it really easy up till now; we will drop the break in oil this week and let it rip! Thanks for the welcome.

Sand2Snow - We got the manual, however, every man and his dog has a different theory on how to break in. I guess I was looking for a sanity check here; I didnít want to start riding too early and then have issues down the track. My break in process is something in between what the manual says and what your mate did. Thanks for the info.

Have a good one all - If youíre ever over in Europe, make sure you hit us up for a session!

Cheers, Paul