PDA

View Full Version : Optima question

skitilldark
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Okay, I know we've beat this stereo thing to death a couple of hundred times, but I've got to make this decision pretty quickly and didn't have the time to dig through the old threads...which optima do you stereo junkies prefer...yellow top, blue top or red top?

erkoehler
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
blue......

zberger
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
they all work.. but yellow or blue work the best for strictly stereo duty.

prostar205
05-09-2006, 02:09 AM
I am using 2 D34Ms wired in parrallel to run a 1,760 Watt system.

Cary K.
05-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I run 2 yellows.

michael freeman
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
My understanding is Red is for starting, Blue is deep cycle, and Yellow is a strong deep cycle that can be used for starting.

I have a Yellow top in my truck and my boat came with two Blue tops as my dual battery option.

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
They make 2 different blue tops... 1 for starting, and 1 for deep cycle. Both for marine use.

kalanic
05-10-2006, 09:30 AM
BLUE! So far so good!

DanC
05-10-2006, 10:45 AM
My understanding is Red is for starting, Blue is deep cycle, and Yellow is a strong deep cycle that can be used for starting.

The color does not tell you everything. Blue does not mean it is a deep cycle battery.

Red is Automotive. It is a starting battery

Blue is Marine. It comes in starting model and a dual purpose model. Make sure you get the one you want. The D31M and D34M are Dual Purpose, the 34M is a starting battery.

Yellow is Automotive. It comes in a dual purpose model and a commercial dual purpose model.

Optima defines their Dual Purpose battery as both deep cycle and starting.

michael freeman
05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
The color does not tell you everything. Blue does not mean it is a deep cycle battery.

Red is Automotive. It is a starting battery

Blue is Marine. It comes in starting model and a dual purpose model. Make sure you get the one you want. The D31M and D34M are Dual Purpose, the 34M is a starting battery.

Yellow is Automotive. It comes in a dual purpose model and a commercial dual purpose model.

Optima defines their Dual Purpose battery as both deep cycle and starting.

My bad, my info came from a 4x4 shop when I was buying a battery for my truck.

skitilldark
05-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Okay, I guess it is okay to jack my own thread isn't it? Anyway thanks for all the advice. the main reason for getting this optima is that my yellow top can't handle all the power for the system anymore(6500W). So I'm looking to add the blue to add a more stabile current flow. Question is, do you guys think my 90 amp original alternator can consistantly charge all three batteries, or do I need to look at a larger alternator?

zberger
05-11-2006, 09:27 AM
If you really have 6500 watts you really should be rethinking your ENTIRE electrical system in your boat.

A 90 amp alternator is nowhere near enough to keep the juice flowing constantly..

If you could, please list out what components you have in your stereo and what not.

jake
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I just went to buy a new blue top (starting) and the sales man told me to buy the red-top because they are the same battery, but the red top has a 5 year warranty and the blue top has a 2 year warranty. Can anyone confirm/dispute this?

I bought the red, which incidentally replaced a 6 year old red top which was still good, but I replaced just because I'd rather do it now than wait till it fails and ruins a day on the water.

I have a pretty decent stereo system in my boat, red top has always done the trick.

lakes Rick
05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I just went to buy a new blue top (starting) and the sales man told me to buy the red-top because they are the same battery, but the red top has a 5 year warranty and the blue top has a 2 year warranty. Can anyone confirm/dispute this?

I bought the red, which incidentally replaced a 6 year old red top which was still good, but I replaced just because I'd rather do it now than wait till it fails and ruins a day on the water.

I have a pretty decent stereo system in my boat, red top has always done the trick.

I do not think the red tops come with the wing nut marine fasteners.

Diesel
05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
If you really have 6500 watts you really should be rethinking your ENTIRE electrical system in your boat.

A 90 amp alternator is nowhere near enough to keep the juice flowing constantly..

If you could, please list out what components you have in your stereo and what not.

That's a current draw of 542 amps! :eek:

I think a nuclear reactor might be the best bet. :D

skitilldark
05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Sorry, I lost this thread for a week or two. I checked all the specs again and with all four of the amps, I've got a total of 6000 watts in the system. Since I posted this thread I added two blue optimas and a 90 amp alternator. So far the stereo works fine and as long as I don't go crazy with volume, everything works good.
thanks to all of you guys. I couldn't do anything without all of your input!

zberger
05-25-2006, 11:14 AM
That's a current draw of 542 amps! :eek:

I think a nuclear reactor might be the best bet. :D

:eek3:
No doubt..

zberger
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry, I lost this thread for a week or two. I checked all the specs again and with all four of the amps, I've got a total of 6000 watts in the system. Since I posted this thread I added two blue optimas and a 90 amp alternator. So far the stereo works fine and as long as I don't go crazy with volume, everything works good.
thanks to all of you guys. I couldn't do anything without all of your input!

What amps do you have that 4 of them are making 6000 watts?

kalanic
05-25-2006, 11:24 AM
What amps do you have that 4 of them are making 6000 watts?
Good question! Very intresting! 6000 watts RMS???? How big are these amps?? My Precision Power DCX 1000 is about 29" long.