PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing the Warrenty

JohnnyB
05-08-2006, 07:26 PM
As many of you know, I recently bought a 2004 PS 197 from a private seller. I know the history of the boat and it was maintained very well with all service done by a professional MC tech.

For $450 I can transfer the warranty which gets me:

10 years of hull warranty from original purchase date (4/23/2004)
3 years of engine warranty from original purchase date

So basically I get 1 year of engine and 8 years of hull warrenty.

I'm weighing whether or not it is worth $450 but have only a few more days to decide......I'm going to read up on what the warranties cover tonight sometime but figured I'd fish for insight now...... :confused:

erkoehler
05-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I'd do it.....at shop labor rate of almost $100 per hour, you will hit that break even mark with 1 repair.

Ric
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
As many of you know, I recently bought a 2004 PS 197 from a private seller. I know the history of the boat and it was maintained very well with all service done by a professional MC tech.

For $450 I can transfer the warranty which gets me:

10 years of hull warranty from original purchase date (4/23/2004)
3 years of engine warranty from original purchase date

So basically I get 1 year of engine and 8 years of hull warrenty.

I'm weighing whether or not it is worth $450 but have only a few more days to decide......I'm going to read up on what the warranties cover tonight sometime but figured I'd fish for insight now...... :confused:

I don't know about that warranty stuff, when I bought a 1 yr old 190, the dealer threw in the warranty transfer but you cannot transfer the warranty to the next buyer iirc.
what does it cover?
If an alternator or a transmission needs work, you'd spend most of the 450 in one shot, hell I spent 125 on a 10hr oil change!! :o
but forget the driveline as you most likely wont claim in the next year... is the 10yr hull warranty worth it to you? I say yes, unless you won't keep it past 3-5 years.... food for thought