PDA

View Full Version : Mag Red's new dry dock

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Since I've run out of room for toys......the Mastercraft had to live outside :( I decided to build a little :rolleyes: cover for her so the birds wouldn't crap all over the cover. Unfortunately, the project came a weeeeeeeee bit over budget :eek:

OhioProstar
10-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Looks great. I don't know any project that I have done that wasn't way out of scope and budget. :)

AR Footer
10-05-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm in the same shape and I am considering building something similar. What kind of price range can I expect?

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm in the same shape and I am considering building something similar. What kind of price range can I expect? Let me add up the receipts :cry: Looks like a little shy of $1000 :eek: And that isn't including 9 sheets of plywood that I had laying around for the past 3 years! The post hole digger was $150, so if your ground isn't filled with roots, you could easily do that by hand. The roofing was about $320. The structure is 12' wide x 22' long

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 03:32 PM
here's another shot of it :D

Ric
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Damn that is nice for an outdoor deal! Was the slab already there?
Is that a MC "towing/mooring cover" or an aftermarket?

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Damn that is nice for an outdoor deal! Was the slab already there?
Is that a MC "towing/mooring cover" or an aftermarket? The slab was put in the beginning of Summer but the birds were having a field day with the cover :mad: The cover is the Mastercraft mooring cover, but I'll be damned if I can tow with that thing on.

Ric
10-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Well the ONLY time I tow with the cover is when it's so nasty out that one detriment outweighs the other. SO a "towing" cover isn't that important to me anyway, but I did wonder if that's what the new MC cover looked like
nice work on the drydock man!

OhioProstar
10-05-2004, 04:41 PM
So Mag-Red, what kind of covadents would you break if you were to put heavy gauge vinyl around the outsides to keep the sun and snow out?

AR Footer
10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the figures. My garage is full and I need something to put my boat in or under. I have looked at the portable garages but I am not sure they will be as good as something that I could build. Great looking boat and place to store it.

JimN
10-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Mag- if the birds decide to go under the roof so they can do their duty in private, you can always get fiberglass screen material in rolls and make some frames to enclose the whole thing, then have one or two that are removeable at the tongue. It looks like a really good solution, though. If the fence was already there, it doesn't really change the look, other than the rake edge.

east tx skier
10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
A somewhat nearby neighbor of mine built something similar. He basically built a tall privacy fence section (part of it replaced an existing privacy fence) and enclosed it at the appropriate demensions around the slab. The posts for the fencing were tall/deep enough to support the roof. The fence height disguises it from the road. The only problem seems to be the flat roof.

ktn_cmu
10-05-2004, 05:32 PM
So Mag-Red, what kind of covadents would you break if you were to put heavy gauge vinyl around the outsides to keep the sun and snow out?

I agree, it looks well made, certainly well enough to wrap it with some vinyl.

Even so, it's great looking shelter.

I am in the process of buying a new house right now, this one has a 3 car garage...perfect....

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 05:40 PM
So Mag-Red, what kind of covadents would you break if you were to put heavy gauge vinyl around the outsides to keep the sun and snow out? Probably none around here...they don't even know it's back there. :popcorn: I was thinking more along the line of a nice plastic or canvas tarp that I could cover the sides when needed. The idea of putting some screening on the underside of the joistd is an excellent idea.......I may just do that. All I need to do is run some water, electric, cable :D , and maybe a nice yellow port-o-let.

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I agree, it looks well made, certainly well enough to wrap it with some vinyl.

Even so, it's great looking shelter.

I am in the process of buying a new house right now, this one has a 3 car garage...perfect.... :uglyhamme I hate you! :D

ktn_cmu
10-05-2004, 05:54 PM
:uglyhamme I hate you! :D

Yeah, I've heard that... This house is a HUD foreclosure...I got it at about 40% less than the appraised value...

You find a deal every now and then, ya just gotta keep your eyes open...

OhioProstar
10-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Mag-Red - What side of Cincy are you in?

Mag_Red
10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Mag-Red - What side of Cincy are you in?I'm about 8 miles North of Downtown.....area called North College Hill. Not exactly the best part of town right now...but I've been here 20 years.

OhioProstar
10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I would say your priorites are in line....great looking boat and dry dock