PDA

View Full Version : i need some help...

blackbeauty02
05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
...well if you read my other thread you already know my problem. i just bought a 92 mastercraft and took it out for only an hour and the prop started slipping like a transmission would in a car. i took it into a local shop and they just got back to me and it's gonna cost $2100 f'ing dollars. They have to disassemble the transmission, replace the seals, replace the clutches and replace the oil cooler (for warrany purposes). They said there is water in the transmission b/c of a leak in the transmission oil cooler. have you guys ever heard of this problem and should it cost that f'ing much? I'm hoping the guy I bought it from will help pay to fix it but you never know. I'm just so f'ing pist right now b/c I've only had it on the water for an hour.

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 05:08 PM
im no mechanic or ever had a tranny problem like that, but it seems like you could get a new one for less...

stevo137
05-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. I would get another opinion from a MC dealer if possible.
Sounds high but I'm sure that others in here will respond that are much more mechanically minded than I am.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I seem to remember reading quotes for rebuild for less than $1k. Memory fades though.

Diesel
05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Drain it, replace the seals, and flush a couple of time with fresh ATF. I will bet it is alright..........just needs some lovin'.

Even if I am wrong your only out a few bucks and still have to buy a new/rebuilt tranny. :)

jrcarte78
05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Here's a brand new 1:1 for $1390 @ DIM.... Don't know what labor would be?

I assume the slot would also run a bit more.

New Tranny (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1101)

Prostar19
05-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Where did you take it to get it looked at? They will slip if it is low on fluid. I would get a second opinon

blackbeauty02
05-08-2006, 09:08 PM
well i got good news after all this bad news. my bro's father-in-law is going to take it to his uncle who owns a tranny shop and he's gonna fix it for $1000 at most. I took it to Norris Marine here in Norman, OK and they said the have to take the transmission out and send it to some place to work on it. They said that it's a leak in the transmission oil cooler and they'd have to take it all apart and replace everything. I think they're just raping me b/c I don't think it's $2100 worth of work. The guy that's going to do it said that is bull**** b/c the repair kit and labor shouldn't be that much.

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
and because you can do most of the labor yourself if you've worked on anything.

but if there is water in the trans, replace your cooler and the fluid, and see if its gonna slip.

Ric
05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
well i got good news after all this bad news. my bro's father-in-law is going to take it to his uncle who owns a tranny shop and he's gonna fix it for $1000 at most. I took it to Norris Marine here in Norman, OK and they said the have to take the transmission out and send it to some place to work on it. They said that it's a leak in the transmission oil cooler and they'd have to take it all apart and replace everything. I think they're just raping me b/c I don't think it's $2100 worth of work. The guy that's going to do it said that is bull**** b/c the repair kit and labor shouldn't be that much.
cool! what did the seller say?
your bro's fatherinlaw's uncle pretty good at this stuff?

;)

blackbeauty02
05-09-2006, 01:26 AM
cool! what did the seller say?
your bro's fatherinlaw's uncle pretty good at this stuff?

;)

I'm hoping so. Nah he owns a transmission shop and my bro's fatherinlaw works on boats on his spare time at the shop he works at. So it should be in good hands. But yea we're definately going to replace the trans oil cooler and flush and replace the fluid.

Just wondering if you sold your boat and this happened to the guy after he took it out for an hour would you help pay? I'm gonna call the guy tomorrow and I'm hoping for the best. I know I would b/c that's just me and I'm a nice guy.

rodltg2
05-09-2006, 01:46 AM
isnt the seller your friend?

erkoehler
05-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Depends on the selling price of the boat....also, maybe that's why he dumped it.

Sodar
05-09-2006, 01:49 AM
I would totally help the guy out, but that is just me. I went through this a few summers ago with a "new-to-me" stand up jet ski. After two, hour long outtings the motor seized. Turns out the guy had ingested half the lake into the motor and the crank bearings were frozen. I called him and he would not help me with anything. I hope you have a better experience. I guess getting a professional survey and test drive prior to purchase is the only way to go...

blackbeauty02
05-09-2006, 01:58 AM
well he's a friend but not a best friend or a guy i call and hang out with all the time. If I see him out we talk and what not. I paid $11500 cash for it so I"m hoping he'll just meet me in the middle. But you never know. i think he'll be cool with it b/c i'm just asking for $500.

blackbeauty02
05-18-2006, 02:35 AM
well, might have some good news here...(I am actually blackbeauty's older bro) My father in law is actually doinfg all the work himself..I talked to him today and tranny is fine, oil cooler needs to be replaced.No burnt tranny fluid, everything looks ok, only a tiny amount of water in the fluid. It looks like there is probably a small crack in the oil/tranny cooler wall. when the boat is running hard the pressure of the water running through it forced a small amount of water in the tranny and when the boat is sitting(shortly after leaving the lake) the boat leaked some tranny fluid(since no water is in the tranny/oil cooler at that point there is only air pressure which was probably less than the cooler causing the cooler to leak fluid out the return). We will know for sure Friday or Saturday. My father in law is very good at this stuff. He normally doesnt work on transmissions but an occasional outdrive here and there and does alot of work on Fountains, Formulas Etc. Mainly high performance builds(572's etc). A few motors he has built have been in boats featured in hot boat magazine and they spoke very highly of him and his buddy. Most of the poker run guys and any of the big power boat guys(most on Grand Lake) know and trust him. Last featured motor his buddy and him did put out 1096 hp out of a blown 572, but they had to machine a ew blower pully and lower boost as they couldn't get an outdrive to last as hard as the guy drove it so they de-tuned it to under a thousand hp. That motor was insured for 125k and was put in a Dave's custom hull.