PDA

View Full Version : NEW Jobe MPD by Andy Mapple

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
great article on the MPD: http://www.easternactionsports.com/jobempd.php

still the # at Jobe rings busy and the website http://www.jobesports.com is no longer valid...

okay there has been a little discussion about the MPD, like http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8529&highlight=jobe

Jobe MPD by Andy Mapple
Size: 65”, 66”, 67”, 68”, 69” Made by Andy Mapple

For 2006, we wanted to work with the best to come up, with the next generation of total performance in slalom ski technology and Andy Mapple delivered. Experience, Success, Consistency, and Dominance, that would some up just a few of Andy Mapple’s traits. With the experience, knowledge, and commitment that have been designed into this ski, we need to say little else. The MPD is a ski that not only will rock the highest end of slalom skiing, but the features of this ski make it one of the most stable skis to ride, no matter what level skier, allowing everyone to be a superstar. The specifically designed rocker and flat spot will allow the ski to establish its own sweet spot, and a tail rocker (pivot to flat) that allows for the ski to hook up out of the turn faster and more efficiently than ever before. The full concave bottom design rolls into a specially tested and designed bevel, to make the ski have a rock solid feel both on edge and during a coast, translating into complete feedback to the skier. The MPD features our ultra-light U3 core, machined to a perfect fit which allows us to have this ski weigh in at an unreal 3 lbs, not to mention incredible consistency in flex pattern. Welcome to the new benchmark in competition slalom skis. Customers will also have access to the expertise of Andy in the setup and adjustment of their skis via e-mail. Andy himself will help you out with any questions you may have regarding the setup of your new ski.Ski Style: AdventurousSkill Level: Competition to ProfessionalSizes: 65”, 66”, 67”, 68”, 69”Fin: Ultra Lock unique adjustable fin system

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Jobe is now Radar Watersports.

From the Nicholl's Forum. Posted by Eddie Roberts.

The Radar Watersports # is 425 844-9575 for now until we get our toll free #.

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
sounds like HO & Hyperlite has lost everyone of their top dawgs...lovin' their new concept that every employee is an owner...sounds like their going about it the right way, like the guys at Google and other techie start-ups...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=606

"Brian Gardner, the former President of HO/Hyperlite, has partnered with the O’Briens as they get started on Herb’s third watersports company (O’Brien and HO/Hyperlite being the first two). Also joining the festivities from Hyperlite are Tim Dehate and John Geisler, who will be working in R&D, Blaze and Higgie, who will be heading up the art department, Bret Hagen, Mike Ferraro in board designs and shaper/boot developer Jason Standley."

"When asked how the new company will differ from Hyperlite and other companies in the wakeboard industry, Paul said, “First of all, as far as ownership, we are going to give a pretty sizable portion to the employees. If you work at this new company, you’re going to be an owner. If you’re in customer service, if you shape boards, if you’re in the art room, if you’re a sales rep...you’re an owner. And it’s not going to be a phantom stock. You’re an owner. We’re going to all sit down as a group. We’re going to go over financials. We’re going to talk about what our goals are for the company and the impact of the industry. We’re never going to deviate from our beliefs through gas crises, stock crashes or 'opportunities.'"

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, sort of. As far as skiers, HO just picked up Chris Parrish I believe.

sounds like HO & Hyperlite has lost everyone of their top dawgs...lovin' their new concept that every employee is an owner...sounds like their going about it the right way, like the guys at Google and other techie start-ups...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=606

"Brian Gardner, the former President of HO/Hyperlite, has partnered with the O’Briens as they get started on Herb’s third watersports company (O’Brien and HO/Hyperlite being the first two). Also joining the festivities from Hyperlite are Tim Dehate and John Geisler, who will be working in R&D, Blaze and Higgie, who will be heading up the art department, Bret Hagen, Mike Ferraro in board designs and shaper/boot developer Jason Standley."

"When asked how the new company will differ from Hyperlite and other companies in the wakeboard industry, Paul said, “First of all, as far as ownership, we are going to give a pretty sizable portion to the employees. If you work at this new company, you’re going to be an owner. If you’re in customer service, if you shape boards, if you’re in the art room, if you’re a sales rep...you’re an owner. And it’s not going to be a phantom stock. You’re an owner. We’re going to all sit down as a group. We’re going to go over financials. We’re going to talk about what our goals are for the company and the impact of the industry. We’re never going to deviate from our beliefs through gas crises, stock crashes or 'opportunities.'"

MYMC
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Funny how people read and perceive things...I see this as the definition of insanity….Doing the same thing the same way, over and over, and expecting a different result.

You have to ask yourself why bother with this? What is there to gain? Wakeboarding has done the major portion of its growth and with ESPN dropping it from X-Games you'll see the sport become more obscure. Slalom has also had it’s day in the sun and how many $1000 skis do you need to sell to generate a profit (even if they are made in China)?

I see insanity.

BTW, nice Monza clone.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
BTW, nice Monza clone.

Looks like it has a pointy tip.

MYMC
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Looks like it has a pointy tip.
Have you seen that somewhere before? ;)

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM

As a matter of fact, I have. It's holding my wall up until my boots and dial caliper show up.

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Funny how people read and perceive things...I see this as the definition of insanity….Doing the same thing the same way, over and over, and expecting a different result.
i certainly don't know the whole story, except some of the history of Herb back in the 70s...certainly the money from boardin' got the attention of investors who raced to have the latest "frill" in the industry...

You have to ask yourself why bother with this? What is there to gain? Wakeboarding has done the major portion of its growth and with ESPN dropping it from X-Games you'll see the sport become more obscure. Slalom has also had it’s day in the sun and how many $1000 skis do you need to sell to generate a profit (even if they are made in China)?

I see insanity.

BTW, nice Monza clone.
agree there certainly isn't lots of money in the $1k skis, but if someone in the industry can bring the sport to the masses, there certainly are some diehard followers...look at this forum and the number of slalom skiers on here compared to boarders...boardin' is certainly a short-lived craze IMPO, and only overshadowed slalom for a few years, and our side of the sport was forgotten about...but look at all the changes recently, Waterski releasing a slalom issue, AWSA new headquarters with slalom lake, INT League National competitions...gotta start at the grassroots level, and I think Mapple finally has the marketing know-how to pull in some big company advertisers like slalom had back in the 80s hay-day!!!

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 07:24 PM
the industry has been copying each other for years, you can only have so many shapes for a slalom ski...it's how everything comes together...one of my buddies talked with Mapple about his new stick and the way it has incorporated stiffer edges like snow skis...likin' the concept and still keeping under 3lbs...certainly anxious to try it out, heard great things from everyone riding a D3...look at the KD craze before that with the CR7...now even Bart's is carrying Goode and Overton's is carrying D3...someone has some advertising figures showing that slalom isn't dead and that we have some money to throw into the sport if given quality equipment...

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 07:42 PM
monza origionally had the pointy tip, they took it off though.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

BuoyChaser
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
ice out on UP???

MYMC
05-09-2006, 02:02 PM
the industry has been copying each other for years, you can only have so many shapes for a slalom ski...it's how everything comes together...one of my buddies talked with Mapple about his new stick and the way it has incorporated stiffer edges like snow skis...likin' the concept and still keeping under 3lbs...certainly anxious to try it out, heard great things from everyone riding a D3...look at the KD craze before that with the CR7...now even Bart's is carrying Goode and Overton's is carrying D3...someone has some advertising figures showing that slalom isn't dead and that we have some money to throw into the sport if given quality equipment...
Again we view things differently...I have no idea how a "sales person" at Bart's or Overton's is going to have any knowledge of how to set up a high end slalom ski. Further the reason the manufactuers have turned to the "catalog stores" is to try and move more product...no advertising dollars are being spent.

MYMC
05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
i certainly don't know the whole story, except some of the history of Herb back in the 70s...certainly the money from boardin' got the attention of investors who raced to have the latest "frill" in the industry...

agree there certainly isn't lots of money in the $1k skis, but if someone in the industry can bring the sport to the masses, there certainly are some diehard followers...look at this forum and the number of slalom skiers on here compared to boarders...boardin' is certainly a short-lived craze IMPO, and only overshadowed slalom for a few years, and our side of the sport was forgotten about...but look at all the changes recently, Waterski releasing a slalom issue, AWSA new headquarters with slalom lake, INT League National competitions...gotta start at the grassroots level, and I think Mapple finally has the marketing know-how to pull in some big company advertisers like slalom had back in the 80s hay-day!!!
Wakeboarding a short lived craze? Not in my opinion...slow down sure everything does. How sad is it that skiers celebrate Water Ski magazine actually doing a "slalom issue"?

05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I Thought wakeboarding was the rage these days??? :confused: I know I am stuck way up here in the frozen tundra away from the real world, but I didnt realize that wakeboarding had "slowed down" or lessened in popularity. So seeing slalom is in the dark ages, and now wakeboarding slowing down, just WHAT IS the popular watersport now? has Foiling taken over? ;) or has toobing swept the watersports world by storm? :rolleyes:

I have to say I think its still important for these ski companies to produce high end water skis/wakeboards. I dont have any idea of their profitabilty or marketability, but I would bet that its not great. They just cant stop and say screw it, its not going to make us rich, so lets quit. Its probably a labor of love for those people, they probably dont get rich in that industry, but they can make a decent living and ENJOY what they do for a job.......what a concept....I would love that! :eek:

05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Wakeboarding a short lived craze? Not in my opinion...slow down sure everything does. How sad is it that skiers celebrate Water Ski magazine actually doing a "slalom issue"? I was happy to see they dedicated an issue to slalom skiing, but to be frank, I have read all that stuff before either in previous issues of that magazine or on the internet. It seems there is only so many techniques you can employee to become the next Andy Mapple, and they keep discussing the same ones. the truth is, you need to have natural talent and get out and ski 24/7 to get that good.

bouy Chaser, Yep! the ice is gone! I went skiing April 12th to start my season. I have been out 3 times :) . been so windy lately, I havent had a chance to get out again.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
the truth is, you need to have natural talent and get out and ski 24/7 to get that good.

Oh, great! Now ya tell me! :cool:

88 PS190
05-09-2006, 04:02 PM
That piece of advice should be attached to the skis along with the hazardous sport, proper binding fitment warning label.

"Slalom skiing is a sport that requires natural talent and hard work to progress. If you cannot devote this kind of commitment to the sport you might as well take up wakeboarding."

MYMC
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
That piece of advice should be attached to the skis along with the hazardous sport, proper binding fitment warning label.

"Slalom skiing is a sport that requires natural talent and hard work to progress. If you cannot devote this kind of commitment to the sport you might as well take up wakeboarding."
Ahh, taking shots at wake boarders huh? Maeghan can run the course on a ski and a wakeboard both switch and regular...I can't even get up on a slalom ski with the wrong foot forward can you?

hacker
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM

:purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh

That kind of reminds me of this t-shirt:

05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Ahh, taking shots at wake boarders huh? Maeghan can run the course on a ski and a wakeboard both switch and regular...I can't even get up on a slalom ski with the wrong foot forward can you?
Uh oh! :noface: the ol' wakeboarding VS. slalom debate....... next thing you know, you kiddies will start throwing sand at each other claiming your dad can beat up their dad...... :uglyhamme

Cant we all just get along????:uglyhamme

Oh, great! Now ya tell me!

Eastie, SHHHHHHHHHHH!!! be quiet!! dont let everyone in on that!!!

BuoyChaser
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Yep! the ice is gone! I went skiing April 12th to start my season. I have been out 3 times :) . been so windy lately, I havent had a chance to get out again.
nice, we've been out 9times already as well...always windy in the spring here due to drastic temp changes!!!

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM

DAUMMMMMM!!!!!! :eek:

05-09-2006, 06:16 PM
alright, lets get this thread back on track (imagine that, ME "king of hte thread jack" getting a derailed thread BACK on track. :steering: :D )

I wanna know more about this whole -jobe-radar-HO-obrien-mapple-parrish-rossi-high end ski market story...... its like a soap opera for skiers!! (insert cheesey 40's radio soap opera organ music)Tune into to "As the skier turns" next week.....when we find out if EP will return to the ski market? Will Dr. Jim return? Will Hoosier Bob ever find the rolling liquor truck?TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!!!!

TALK TO ME people!!! What else do you know??:popcorn:

LakePirate
05-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Again we view things differently...I have no idea how a "sales person" at Bart's or Overton's is going to have any knowledge of how to set up a high end slalom ski. Further the reason the manufactuers have turned to the "catalog stores" is to try and move more product...no advertising dollars are being spent.

Mike - Not everyone has the ability to get into a proshop that sells high quality skis locally. I am glad that the catalog stores are there so I can order equipment because it is a long way to Orlando. With the internet I can go back to using smaller companies and getting customer service but 5 - 6 years ago what were you supposed to do to get a ski?

Farmer Ted
05-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Is she married?

I think I love her

will she have my puppies?

Ryan
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM
A leather topped ski huh? Somebody post some pics as soon as they come out. Wakeboarding.com says the Radar lineup will not be out until Sept. I wonder if all of these models are cast in stone and will cross over to the new brand...

I hope they change the PU acronym before they print anything. All marketing is supposed to pass the thrid grade test so no one laughs at your product.

from http://www.easternactionsports.com/jobempd.php
Specifications of the skis:

MPD
This is the top ski in the 2006 range! Jobe and Andy will do lots of promotion for this ski and many international top riders will be skiing on this model in 2006. The MPD is a very fast ski.

. U3-core: very solid and lightweight (3 pnds) core.
. Full concave and special bevels: give the skier control and a solid / stable feel (the combination of the wide tunnel and the new bevel give that stable feel).
. Unique 2-stage rocker design: makes the ski fast and gives it the ability to turn.
. Shiny top-deck: special material what have been used on snowboards for many years, and now for the first time on a slalom ski. Gives the MPD a very luxury look.
. Narrow in fore body: to initiate and start turns better.
. Fully adjustable fin block: can be adjusted in every direction to personal preferences. The fin block has a thin profile and black color what gives the ski great looks.

Defiant
The Defiant comes out of the same mold as the MPD with a softer lay-up due to a different core. The Defiant is also a very fast ski.

. PU-core (polyurethane): Heavier than and not as stiff as the MPD-core. Gives the ski a softer lay-out. This core is not as expensive as the MPD-core but it has the same strength.
. Leather top: synthetic material that makes the ski very durable because it will not show scratched. This special top also gives the Defiant a very exclusive look.
. Same other features as MPD.

Assault & Baron
The Assault and Baron are based on the Jobe 1650 HPT with some minor adjustments to give this ski a little more performance. The Baron comes out of the same mold as the Assault only with a softer lay-out what makes the Baron more forgiving and easier to turn so it is more suitable for recreational use.

. Narrower tail: gives the ski more performance.
. Larger and more defined bevel: for more tracking and a stable feel.
. Unique 2-stage rocker design: makes the ski fast and gives it the ability to turn.
. Drop through fin: no cap on top for better looks of the ski. The fin can be adjusted forwards and backwards.

Raven
The Raven is the wide body ski in the Andy Mapple range. Wide body skis are very suitable for beginners, skiers that don't go out on the water very often and for skiing behind low power boats.

. Narrow tunnel: what makes the Raven very stable and gives the skier lot of confidence.
. Flat spots at sides of tunnel: avoid a lot of spray.
. Drop through fin: no cap on top for better looks of the ski. The fin can be adjusted forwards and backwards.

05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Mike - Not everyone has the ability to get into a proshop that sells high quality skis locally. I am glad that the catalog stores are there so I can order equipment because it is a long way to Orlando. With the internet I can go back to using smaller companies and getting customer service but 5 - 6 years ago what were you supposed to do to get a ski?
TRU DAT!!! Tell it like it is Brutha Lakey! :) I would have to drive like 3 hours MINIMUM to get to a place that even sells slalom skis around here. Thank goodness for overtons and the internet!!!! :toast: I would be S.O.L. if I had to drive to a proshop to buy something. Keep in mind the people that live in remote areas around the country, they dont have any other option but catalogs or internet. :twocents:

05-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Interesing reading Ryan! Thanks! :) I read that in the links too. Good reading.

Eastie, where did you hear/read that Parrish was with HO?? :confused:

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Nicholl's Forum is where I read it first.

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Not trying to start an arguement here but I didn't step into a pro shop either but I own a Monza now. I just talked to Mike on the phone a few times (and lots of emails) tested a ski with no commitments and did the try before you buy thang. Worked great!!

Footin
05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Quit starting arguements Jeff. hahahaha.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Not trying to start an arguement here but I didn't step into a pro shop either but I own a Monza now. I just talked to Mike on the phone a few times (and lots of emails) tested a ski with no commitments and did the try before you buy thang. Worked great!!

Me, too. I'm really scared I'll like it. Thanks for getting it here so quickly, Mike. Hoping to ride it this weekend.

We used to have a high end ski shop one town over. Closed a couple of years ago.

6ballsisall
05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Quit starting arguements Jeff. hahahaha.

I'm not arguing :D

:woohoo:

05-10-2006, 09:51 AM
You trying out a Monza Eastie? :confused: Or what ski? You thinking about putting your CDX out to pasture? :eek:

Talk to me goose

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
:purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh

That kind of reminds me of this t-shirt:
lovin' that quote, "...if it were easy they'd call it wakeboarding..." :toast:

MYMC
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
So you didn't have a ski before (sorry about the sarcasim)? My first high end ski came from Goode...mail order by phone. They set it up for me and helped me tune the fin settings (again by phone). I bought the ski. We do the same here...ride for free before you buy.

I believe high end products need to be sold and serviced by competent trained personel, otherwise the product stands to get a negative reaction (at the least) or someone gets hurt (at the worst). How many catalog/box stores know that you cannot sell an Approach boot with an RTP?

MYMC
05-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Is she married?

I think I love her

will she have my puppies?
If you only knew how funny that is!

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
just like the snowski industry does with "demo" days on the mountain and wakeboarding companies like liquid force does with "ride across america" need to hit some major metropolitan areas and have "slalom" demo days...tie it into the INT League tournament events, where a variety of skis are available to "try before you buy"...

nothing wrong with the catalogs displaying high-end skis...as a kid starting into slalom back in 1989 it was companies like Ski Limited that displayed all the latest skis where i figured out what ski to get, based off the pictures and verbal diahrea...first serious slalom stick was an Obrien G3, what a nice ski!!!then upgraded to HO CDX1 after hearing the talk on the street, loved that ski but then put on some lbs so the 66" started to sink in the turns...upgraded to early to the phantom 68" which was too stiff for me, now on a 67" phantom with some good fin tuning...now need to move it to the next level to get into shortline...sick of fighting the phantom on the turn, not very forgiving...

just want to be in good skiin' shape and demo each one!!!with someone to pre-set fin settings for my weight/height/type of skiing...tried a friends 66" monza which i didn't like...probably cuz too short maybe???

MYMC
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
You trying out a Monza Eastie? :confused: Or what ski? You thinking about putting your CDX out to pasture? :eek:

Talk to me goose

(Evil doctor voice) Ha ha ha...the CDX is dead!

05-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Interesting..... Eastie always spoke so highly of the CDX. So you say he's gonna can it after he skis that Monza Mike?? :confused:

MYMC
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Interesting..... Eastie always spoke so highly of the CDX. So you say he's gonna can it after he skis that Monza Mike?? :confused:
I'd bet the CDX has seen it's last from Doug...why? Not only is the Monza better but more importantly Doug's wife likes the CDX! ;)

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I'd bet the CDX has seen it's last from Doug...why? Not only is the Monza better but more importantly Doug's wife likes the CDX! ;)

Ah yes!! You know what they say!! If Momma aint happy, aint no one happy!! :worthy:

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM

You're not kidding there. I really need to get here some new boots for her Truth so she will stop eyeing MY skis! :D

I thought she seemed a bit to willing for me to try out something new!

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 11:02 AM
You're not kidding there. I really need to get here some new boots for her Truth so she will stop eyeing MY skis! :D

I thought she seemed a bit to willing for me to try out something new!
my sister skis my old 66" cdx and loves it...nice soft, GIRLY FLEX ski!!! :shocked:

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM

UMP, I'm not getting rid of the CDX. I'm leaving it just as I have it (whether I ride it again or not). I wouldn't get anything for it and it's a neat ski.

It may be going out to stud though. My last set on it on Sunday was phenominal all the same. On those last couple of turns, everything just clicked. My wife had just turned off the video camera, too. :(

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
my sister skis my old 66" cdx and loves it...nice soft, GIRLY FLEX ski!!! :shocked:

It's stable as can be. To get it to move fast, you really have to set that edge just so. I've always enjoyed riding it. It may be an older ski, but they're still selling them.

05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
It's stable as can be. To get it to move fast, you really have to set that edge just so. I've always enjoyed riding it. It may be an older ski, but they're still selling them.
See this is the part that confuses me so much. Lotsa people hail these CDX skis as the holy grail, and then so many people say they are "old technology" and the newer skis are SO much better. Its just too confusing. Too much subject to opinion. I dont know. Pure curiosty makes me want to try one, and try the newer high end skis. But I really think those high end skis are above my skill level. I think they are for serious course skiers, not just your recreational free skier that likes to carve it up. Thats why I ski the Veneance and Triumph, from what information I gathered, they seem a "better fit" for my skill level...... This is so confusing these days,maybe I should just forget aobut it and dig my old world team comp out of the rafters in the garage :uglyhamme

MYMC
05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
See this is the part that confuses me so much. Lotsa people hail these CDX skis as the holy grail, and then so many people say they are "old technology" and the newer skis are SO much better. Its just too confusing. Too much subject to opinion. I dont know. Pure curiosty makes me want to try one, and try the newer high end skis. But I really think those high end skis are above my skill level. I think they are for serious course skiers, not just your recreational free skier that likes to carve it up. Thats why I ski the Veneance and Triumph, from what information I gathered, they seem a "better fit" for my skill level...... This is so confusing these days,maybe I should just forget aobut it and dig my old world team comp out of the rafters in the garage :uglyhamme
Man for a guy with a cape you sound beat before you start! Want to try a Monza let me know...no obligation.

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Man for a guy with a cape you sound beat before you start! Want to try a Monza let me know...no obligation.

Better watch out there UMP. MYMC sells some good crack! :D Once you try it you'll not send it back guaranteed. It's an addictive ski and he prices em right and helps you set it up to your liking. :firejump:

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Like I told Mike, this is how Dish Network got me to order all the available movie channels eight years ago (free for the first 3 months).

As for the CDX, it is a great ski and it is older design. It might be well described as a slightly faster version of your Vengeance. When it was replaced by the Truth in 03, the consensus from lots of folks was that the Truth was not an improvement. So some outlets kept selling (and were able to get additional runs of) the CDX.

I've been really pleased with it and would probably continue to be perfectly happy on it if Mike hadn't peaked my interest with a great demo offer and a more than fair price on the Monza he spent some time on last year. As Mike and I agreed, it's not the ski that's holding me back. But then again, when has that stopped me before. :)

05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I tell you fellas this: I have always been a realistic person with skiing. I know I will never be mapple or parrish, so I dont run out and buy the ski they run with unrealistic hopes that it will make me ski like them. I just researched the skis, and bought what I thought fit my skill level. Maybe the Monza or System 8 would blow my mind and hook me like crack, I dont know. I just thought that those skis were made for TOP notch trounament level skiers, not recreational free skeirs like me.

Mike, a BIG thanks for the offer. I tell you what, lets talk later in the season. After I get into ski shape, spend a day at ski school and get my groove back. That way I can truly compare it. I have double animals, so I could slap a set on a Monza or System 8 for a test ride. All I will be out is the cost of shipping the ski to and fro, if it dont hook me. If it does hook me, you will have to deal with my girlfriend. If she sees me bring another ski home, she will kick my arse and probably your arse too :dance: and yes mike, I wear a cape, and I am tired, heavy is the head that wears the crown my friend ;) :toast:

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
UMP, Mike is the fazzizle snizzle mac daddy of the Monza and System 8's. You'll like it so start doing the pre-preparation with the girly friend. :D

Smart move on the getting in shape thang. In some ways I wish I had done that, in other ways, I started the season off killer with a killer ski :dance:

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
UMP, if I was planning on cruising the river all summer, I'd have passed on the ski for sure. But lately, I've been fighting those orange balls. I'm not going into this thinking of going pro. This is all just for fun. Yup, just a fun little obsession. But if I can be a little earlier for the balls on this bad boy and not have to work as hard to get there, I figured I'm not getting any younger and it was worth a shot.

I could run an extra mile per day and lose 3 lbs this week. Less weight, maybe I get to the other side of the course earlier. Or, I could buy a monza. Bingo. Dropped 3 or so pounds. Man that thing is light.

05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
You NO Good Sunza bichez !!!! :mad: or Monza bichez... ALL of you! ;) You three retards got me jonesin for a new ride now!! YOu know whats gonna happen dont you? I am gonna call Mike in about the end of june or so and take him up on the offer. and then I am gonna fall in love with the ski, and then I am gonna rape my wallet for a hefty sum :mad:

This is crazy....This is crazy....This is crazy.... :rolleyes:

Alright, lets deflate my hopes here. Mike, PM me. How much for a System 8 blank or a Monza blank?? I already have double animals I bought new last August on the Vengeance. So I could use those..... What size ski you recommend? got any left over 2005 models??

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Now UMP, you can't buy a pimped up ride and skimp on the rims. Factor some approach double binders into that equation. 8p

05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Now UMP, you can't buy a pimped up ride and skimp on the rims. Factor some approach double binders into that equation. 8p
OMG, now your talkin goofy Eastie!!! :friday: YOur gonna put me in the $1000 range then.....thats getting too far gone. I was thinking I could scrape up a left over 05 blank for a deal or a blem or something.......Remember I am a cheap bastage!! I'm so cheap that I skin farts and sell the meat!!! ;)

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, then save the money. Grab the ski and run by Walmart for some Duck tape so you can fabricate yourself some "hardshells." ;)

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Ump, dude you are WAY off on price with new Approach bindings. Talk to Mike, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Easty is right on with the idea of throwing your old bindings on a killer ski.

05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Well, then save the money. Grab the ski and run by Walmart for some Duck tape so you can fabricate yourself some "hardshells."

Thats an idea eastie!!! I like it. We will market it, some cardboard and duck tape, call it "econo-bind" slap it on my old 70's lime green comp, and WOOO HOOO!! look out Parrish, here I come!!!! :dance:

JR, those Animals I have hardly have a half a season of use on them....??? Do you really think they are "old"?? or just not as good as the Approach??

Talk to me Geese

MYMC
05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
OMG, now your talkin goofy Eastie!!! :friday: YOur gonna put me in the $1000 range then.....thats getting too far gone. I was thinking I could scrape up a left over 05 blank for a deal or a blem or something.......Remember I am a cheap bastage!! I'm so cheap that I skin farts and sell the meat!!! ;)
You have mail...(evil doctor laugh) ha ha ha!

05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
You have mail...(evil doctor laugh) ha ha ha!
I hope you know what you are getting into Mike. :rolleyes: I am the most anal retentive customer in the world. I will ask you more questions, second guess myself, agaonize over every little detail, and drive all parties involved crazy. If we end up striking a deal, by the times its done you will would rather have paid me to buy the ski elsewhere :uglyhamme Like you said, I am beaten down before I start. or something to that effect....

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Nothing wrong with your Animals UMP, they probably are hardly broke in. All I can say is I PROMISE if your feet ever set foot in an Approach binding they'll NEVER go back to a Animal binding. Plus you'll ski better too :D

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
I hope you know what you are getting into Mike. :rolleyes: I am the most anal retentive customer in the world. I will ask you more questions, second guess myself, agaonize over every little detail, and drive all parties involved crazy. If we end up striking a deal, by the times its done you will would rather have paid me to buy the ski elsewhere :uglyhamme Like you said, I am beaten down before I start. or something to that effect....

I'd be surprised if you ask more questions to Mike than I did :uglyhamme

MYMC
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
You gotta do better than that to run me off.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 02:39 PM
And here I thought I kept Mike on the phone too long. ;)

UMP, nothing at all wrong with the animals. I've been very happy with mine for two seasons now. I had actually ordered the approach boots before the idea of trying the monza was ever presented to me.

Ric
05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
back in the day..... I remember you could ask for "Ike" at overtons.... I dont think there were wakeboards or adjustable fins back then though....

05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
back in the day..... I remember you could ask for "Ike" at overtons.... I dont think there were wakeboards or adjustable fins back then though....
Back when they had a piece of inner tube rubber nailed to the ski for a binding? :cool: 8p

Ric
05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
quick question..... I am sure seeing a selloff of monzas etc on ebay and such that smells like all the competetive folks getting rid of their stuff. Is this a result of HO now being suits????

Ric
05-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Back when they had a piece of inner tube rubber nailed to the ski for a binding? :cool: 8p
Listen here you little......... :rant:

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
For the record I got an Overtons catalog the other day in the mail. All they had was some Connellys and D3's in there for higher end slalom skis

LakePirate
05-10-2006, 02:51 PM
So you didn't have a ski before (sorry about the sarcasim)? My first high end ski came from Goode...mail order by phone. They set it up for me and helped me tune the fin settings (again by phone). I bought the ski. We do the same here...ride for free before you buy.

I believe high end products need to be sold and serviced by competent trained personel, otherwise the product stands to get a negative reaction (at the least) or someone gets hurt (at the worst). How many catalog/box stores know that you cannot sell an Approach boot with an RTP?

Cypress Garden Super Groove Jrs. Just kidding. I had purchased a Kidder from a mail order catalogue. What I was trying to get across was that before the smaller companies got on the internet I had nothing but catalogues to order from. It was a great day when Bart's showed up.

You don't have to sell me the kool-aid Mike, I am a firm believer in what you are saying. I was in the Golf Business for several years and it is very similar. You can go and buy the sticks that Tiger is playing or the 1000 dollar ping irons but they might not be set up for you or the proper swing weight, so on and so forth. I dropped over 5 grand to this one guy who worked on my clubs for me. Like I said earlier I am happy to be able to get to the smaller businesses to purchase my equipment, even if I have to use the internet.

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM

HAHA!!! Did they have phones back then Ric? :D

Just messin

MarkP
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Thats an idea eastie!!! I like it. We will market it, some cardboard and duck tape, call it "econo-bind" slap it on my old 70's lime green comp, and WOOO HOOO!! look out Parrish, here I come!!!! :dance:

JR, those Animals I have hardly have a half a season of use on them....??? Do you really think they are "old"?? or just not as good as the Approach??

Talk to me Geese
What does any of this have to do with the new Jobe??

MYMC
05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
quick question..... I am sure seeing a selloff of monzas etc on ebay and such that smells like all the competetive folks getting rid of their stuff. Is this a result of HO now being suits????
I think so and it is a shame...Snitz and others have proclaimed the death of HO skis with Eddie Roberts and Mike Ferraro gone but time will tell. There is a lot at play here, but first and foremost Bob Archer is successful business man and I doubt he made this move to loose a bunch of money or market share. I can tell you so far that the athletes that stayed with Bob have been well treated. I'm a big fan of professionalism and the People Bob has put into place are world class...i.e. Tim Joyce and company.

MYMC
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Cypress Garden Super Groove Jrs. Just kidding. I had purchased a Kidder from a mail order catalogue. What I was trying to get across was that before the smaller companies got on the internet I had nothing but catalogues to order from. It was a great day when Bart's showed up.

You don't have to sell me the kool-aid Mike, I am a firm believer in what you are saying. I was in the Golf Business for several years and it is very similar. You can go and buy the sticks that Tiger is playing or the 1000 dollar ping irons but they might not be set up for you or the proper swing weight, so on and so forth. I dropped over 5 grand to this one guy who worked on my clubs for me. Like I said earlier I am happy to be able to get to the smaller businesses to purchase my equipment, even if I have to use the internet.
Hmmmm...kool aid.

05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
What does any of this have to do with the new Jobe??

Come on Mark, you know when I am around, a thread jack is not far away! :o :D

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
For the record I got an Overtons catalog the other day in the mail. All they had was some Connellys and D3's in there for higher end slalom skis

They've got a sixam in there, too. I could've sworn they used to have Goode.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Eastie, where did you hear/read that Parrish was with HO?? :confused:
http://schnitzskis.com/pages/460743/index.htm

WORLD RECORD HOLDER CHRIS PARRISH SIGNS ON WITH HO SKIS 5/3/2006

Redmond, WA - HO Sports Company, Inc. today announced the signing of Chris Parrish to an already impressive team of Will Asher and Wade Cox. Parrish will lead the HO team into the 2006 season as the #1 ranked skier in the world and the current world record holder. Chris comes off an amazing 2005 season in which he captured six tournament wins and twice broke the world slalom record. “I am totally stoked to be with HO,” said Chris. “This is a huge opportunity for me and my skiing career.” In a related move, Wade Cox will assume the position of HO Ski Team Manager. Wade will be based in Orlando and in his new role will serve as Team Manager/Athlete for HO Skis. Wade has been with HO Skis for 18 competitive seasons during which time he has become one of the most decorated slalom athletes of all time. Wade stated, “The idea of working with Will Asher, the current World Champion, and Chris Parrish, the #1 skier in the world, is a dream come true.” “We have an amazing group of athletes on our team,” said HO Skis Product Manager Dave Wingerter. “These skiers demand only the best and we are committed to helping them take the sport to new levels.”

For Further Information Contact:
HO Sports Co, Inc.
800-938-4040

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Now wait a minute. I got it on Nicholl's! :)

05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
SO what is "Sixam" supposed to mean? I dont get it. Is it six a.m.? like as in 6 o'clock in the morning? or something else?

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:37 PM
It's Six (as in buoys). A.M. (Andy Mapple)

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 03:38 PM

i think that has alot to do with that those skiis are very hard to ski on..

05-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Ahh. Six am. got it!

so it looks like HO got the big gun on staff to thwart the rublings of their key people leaving. Well, its a good move on their part. Chris is on top of the game now, and who better to push their image/products??

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 03:39 PM

I don't find it hard to ski on at all.........and I am far from pro. It must be that bu' that made it tough for you :uglyhamme

pq2
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Rod, did you try the monza?? dont like it???

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't find it hard to ski on at all.........and I am far from pro. It must be that bu' that made it tough for you :uglyhamme

Rod, were you on a D3 before? Might be an easier transition for Jeff coming off a phantom.

05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Thats what I thought too Rod, thats why I DIDNT buy one. see how confused the UMP is! :confused:

But now I have the 3 Monzateers here telling me they ski like budda and to get one. ;)

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
But now I have the 3 Monzateers here telling me they ski like budda and to get one. ;)

Don't include me in that one. I haven't even tried it yet.

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I will say that the Monza DEFINETELY has to have the fin tuned otherwise it's hard to ski. If you don't have the fin tuned to spec you'll probably not like it very much.......

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
I will say that the Monza DEFINETELY has to have the fin tuned otherwise it's hard to ski. If you don't have the fin tuned to spec you'll probably not like it very much.......

Off to check the tracking info on my dial caliper.

Farmer Ted
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
If you only knew how funny that is!

I'm serious!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Don't include me in that one. I haven't even tried it yet.

Dude, I am just funnin ya!!! :) OK, the 2 Monzateers then ;) :uglyhamme

MYMC
05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Rod, were you on a D3 before? Might be an easier transition for Jeff coming off a phantom.
I skied the Goode 9100 & 9300,CR7 next, then the D3 before the Monza...transition was 2 sets long and haven't looked back. BTW, I have a 6AM Andy sent me a year ago for sale if anyone is interested.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I skied the Goode 9100 & 9300,CR7 next, then the D3 before the Monza...transition was 2 sets long and haven't looked back. BTW, I have a 6AM Andy sent me a year ago for sale if anyone is interested.

Aw hell, just send it on to me.

/joking joking joking

MYMC
05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Off to check the tracking info on my dial caliper.
Doug is the brake upside down on that one? If so it is set and should be real close to get started.

MYMC
05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Aw hell, just send it on to me.

/joking joking joking
Hey, if you're that easy I have a real nice black boat for sale!

pilot02
05-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Reminds me of something I heard several years back about (I think it was) Lucky Lowe walking out at a tournament and saying he could ride any ski any day and win and someone handed him a ski different from his own that he'd not ridden before and he ran every pass.

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
I would bet if you gave Mapple or anyone of those guys a Dick Pope Jr. ski they could run mid shortline on it.......Thats a totally different leaque

MYMC
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Somewhere I remember Andy wining Malibu I think with the fin laid over about 45 degrees. He hot something in the water and the ski felt funny but he just contiued on up the rope. :eek:

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
what are you skiin' at the beginning of the season on these sticks???

i've been told my style requires a forgiving flex stick...

i'm at 34mph usually at the beginning of the season, then fighting 22' off 36mph on my 67" Phantom last year, 5'10 180lbs...prior to that was on a 68" Phantom 5'10 200lbs and struggled 36mph 15' off pass...seem to always struggle in turns getting the ski around, now have changed the fin settings and seems to help...getting 2-3 balls at 36mph 15'...

deepest last year behind new '05 197 at end of season got into 32' off...

Ric
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Somewhere I remember Andy wining Malibu I think with the fin laid over about 45 degrees. He hot something in the water and the ski felt funny but he just contiued on up the rope. :eek:
I read that too, I think it was the us open at lago santa fe in 03 though

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Doug is the brake upside down on that one? If so it is set and should be real close to get started.

If memory serves, it's not upside-down. I was planning to remove it altogether and put it in a ziplock for safe keeping.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey, if you're that easy I have a real nice black boat for sale!

Closed bow?

Actually, I'm not that easy. For starters, 9 times out of ten, it's going to have to be red. :)

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
i havent tried the monza yet. ive just heard around the dock that the monza is hard to ski. it was desgined more towards the "great" technique skiers and not very forgiving. ill try it, but im doing well on my d3 now .

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 04:50 PM
I read that too, I think it was the us open at lago santa fe in 03 though

I think I've got that one on tape somewhere.

MYMC
05-10-2006, 04:57 PM
i havent tried the monza yet. ive just heard around the dock that the monza is hard to ski. it was desgined more towards the "great" technique skiers and not very forgiving. ill try it, but im doing well on my d3 now .
All BS aside I have not found that to be the case at all. As a matter of fact I have yet to see this ski break someone at the waist...too quick and easy to push back out front. Set-up is everything but I believe that about any ski.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
i tried a 2005 66" Monza with stock fin settings and Advantage Bindings didn't like the way it turned...only free skied with it...haven't tried it in the course...will do that once the weather improves here in New England...

also have access to try a 2005 67" D3 X5 with stock fin settings and Advantage bindings, hopefully try that soon...everyone in NE who has one loves how forgiving it is in the turns...heard Nomad is same but faster out of turn...

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
It does my heart good to hear of someone else who appreciates the Advantage Bindings. Do you have 3 sets of spares lying around just in case? I believe you can still order new, old stock from O'Brien. My local dealer has a cardboard box full of them. We bought some spare larges for my father in law.

The Goode rubber bindings look almost identical.

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 05:21 PM
:huh: i tried a 2005 66" Monza with stock fin settings and Advantage Bindings didn't like the way it turned...only free skied with it...haven't tried it in the course...will do that once the weather improves here in New England...

also have access to try a 2005 67" D3 X5 with stock fin settings and Advantage bindings, hopefully try that soon...everyone in NE who has one loves how forgiving it is in the turns...heard Nomad is same but faster out of turn...

i tried the nomad in acapulco but had a hard time with it. there were alot of variables against me though. 65" ski vs 66" , tight as hell bindings, and it was the end of the day, so i was tired and the wind picked up. i'm looking forward to trying the 06 X5. im demoing one this week.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:27 PM
It does my heart good to hear of someone else who appreciates the Advantage Bindings. Do you have 3 sets of spares lying around just in case? I believe you can still order new, old stock from O'Brien. My local dealer has a cardboard box full of them. We bought some spare larges for my father in law.

The Goode rubber bindings look almost identical.
not the old Obrien Advantage, yahh those things use to tear out all the time...so many replacements on the old Obrien G3...your right the Goode Dbl Neo Highwraps do look like the Advantage bindings...

talking about the new HO Approach Bindings, sorry had my terminology wrong...

yahhh the CDX is still available check it out for $350 blank... http://www.wileyski.com/

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:28 PM
i tried the nomad in acapulco but had a hard time with it. there were alot of variables against me though. 65" ski vs 66" , tight as hell bindings, and it was the end of the day, so i was tired and the wind picked up. i'm looking forward to trying the 06 X5. im demoing one this week.
let me know how the demo goes, did you order one to demo or have a buddy???

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 05:36 PM
im having a new one sent out by D3. if i like it i'll keep it if not send it back , maybe try the nomad again. $40 plus shipping.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Rod, what boots are you running?

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:47 PM
is the 2006 Monza different form 2005???

2006 Monza
In the inaugural year of the Monza, its chart topping success was documented at contests worldwide, and in the pages of Waterski Magazine. The speed and consistency of the Monza has made skiers into believers across the globe. The balanced sidewall and 3-stage rocker create solid edge grip from tip-to-tail. Dual bevels, that are sharp in the tip and round behind the feet, give support in the forebody where its needed and speed in the back so it can roll from edge to edge. The Monza delivers everything the pros desire, but is easy enough to engage that you shouldn't be worried to assume it as your everyday ride. The Monza's Synaptic Core is made of closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) foam. PVC foams offer a balanced combination of static and dynamic properties and good resistance to water absorption. This foam is best used as the core material for the construction of high performance sandwich structured, such as a slalom ski. The sandwich concept is based on two main ideas: increasing the stiffness in a curved or rocker structure and doing so without adding excessive weight. H-O has used this foam to lighten, stiffen, and strengthen the ski. The process begins with a block of foam that is machined to the shape of the ski. Its performance has allowed us to soften the flex of the skis while maintaining structural integrity and dynamic on the water properties. Available in 63.5/65/66/67/68/69.5 inches

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
im having a new one sent out by D3. if i like it i'll keep it if not send it back , maybe try the nomad again. $40 plus shipping.
what's your height/weight/ski speed???
what did they recommend for you???
not a bad deal for $40, need to try that...

MYMC
05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
what are you skiin' at the beginning of the season on these sticks???

i've been told my style requires a forgiving flex stick...

i'm at 34mph usually at the beginning of the season, then fighting 22' off 36mph on my 67" Phantom last year, 5'10 180lbs...prior to that was on a 68" Phantom 5'10 200lbs and struggled 36mph 15' off pass...seem to always struggle in turns getting the ski around, now have changed the fin settings and seems to help...getting 2-3 balls at 36mph 15'...

deepest last year behind new '05 197 at end of season got into 32' off...
Sorry didn't see this earlier...
Always 34.2mph I am old never slower don't like to work that hard. I am on a 69.5" Monza with Approach boots. Full pass at 35 off is full pass PB, 3 @ 38 if your just counting balls. I am 6'3" 210 to 215 depending on how much beer and food are around. I ran 22 before I ran 15, and I have no 15 off loop on my rope...hated that line length...too much work almost quit the sport while fighting through it. I believe in body position get that right and let the boat do all the work. Bend you knees and ski back to the handle.

At your size a 67" Monza would be good particularly at 36mph.

Lastly, never trust a "stock fin setting"...measure, measure and measure. Who knows where that thing is after shipment and that is if it was installed correctly! Tough to judge a ski when the most important part is an unknown.

MYMC
05-10-2006, 06:09 PM
is the 2006 Monza different form 2005???
Only in color...oh and the "trunk emblem" glued to it.

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 06:38 PM
im running D3 bindings, not the new drivers..
5-8ht, 165wt 34mph
they recommended a 66"

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
You are a little fella ain't you Rod.

Sorry man........ I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to razz you. It's all in good fun :D

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 07:32 PM
thats why i'll never run to deep shortline :D

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I always blame the wing. If it's off, it should've been on and vice versa.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry didn't see this earlier...
Always 34.2mph I am old never slower don't like to work that hard. I am on a 69.5" Monza with Approach boots. Full pass at 35 off is full pass PB, 3 @ 38 if your just counting balls. I am 6'3" 210 to 215 depending on how much beer and food are around. I ran 22 before I ran 15, and I have no 15 off loop on my rope...hated that line length...too much work almost quit the sport while fighting through it. I believe in body position get that right and let the boat do all the work. Bend you knees and ski back to the handle.

At your size a 67" Monza would be good particularly at 36mph.

Lastly, never trust a "stock fin setting"...measure, measure and measure. Who knows where that thing is after shipment and that is if it was installed correctly! Tough to judge a ski when the most important part is an unknown.
nice skiin'...awesome seein' guys ski that short behind the boat, make it look so easy!!!

where is best resource to find what fin settings should be so i can caliper them on my buddies...he's got a 66" and he is 150lbs 5'9...what adjustments could i make to his ski for him and then for me to make it feel like a 67"???need to try it again with his approach bindings through the course rather than free skiing to get a better feel...

just gettin' into using the caliper, use them at work all the time, but never found a valuable resource to know what fin setting is working for others...does anyone adjust them depending on the speed and line length???

05-10-2006, 09:28 PM
You are a little fella ain't you Rod.

Sorry man........ I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to razz you. It's all in good fun :D
Hey now JR, quit pickin' on officer poncharello!!!! ;)

88 PS190
05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
depending on your ski, alot of people like going directly to the rossi numbers, which can be found on skitek, other resources include the ski company's website.

then there are tuning guides available that describe the effect of different movements, but in general start at the factory numbers and work from there.

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
depending on your ski, alot of people like going directly to the rossi numbers, which can be found on skitek, other resources include the ski company's website.

then there are tuning guides available that describe the effect of different movements, but in general start at the factory numbers and work from there.

here's what Chris Rossi had to tell me, pretty cool that he responded to my email so quickly, i'll forward you his whole email if you PM me:

"It is very hard to recommend a ski without seeing you ski...And finally, Jobe (Herb O'Brien) has just released the MPD (Mapple Pro Design) witch has a similar bevel design to the phantom, but is only on limited release at the moment. It should be available in a month or so in
the size you are looking for. I just switched from the Monza to the MPD and have been very happy with the results. I would demo an F1, Monza, and D3 if you have a retail shop around you. If they happen to have a Jobe MPD, grab one of those as well. It might be worth your while to hold off until the MPD is available, but I know how it is to wait for a new release. Hope this very quick summery helps and feel
free to email back any questions you have. Please take these quick summeries with a grain of salt as I have not ridden all of the above mentioned skis. It's like anything, personal preference is what matters!

Chris Rossi"

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Another good resource. www.mattrini.com

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Another good resource. www.mattrini.com
great recommendations for the Monza http://www.mattrini.com/skisetup.html

05-10-2006, 11:28 PM
see, and then you wonder why I am so confused all the time about buying a ski :rolleyes: too many options.....

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 09:33 AM
see, and then you wonder why I am so confused all the time about buying a ski :rolleyes: too many options.....
sounds like MPD won't be available commercially until Fall according to the OBriens...so those lucky few who get to ride one or buy one, NICE!!!

MYMC
05-11-2006, 09:51 AM
great recommendations for the Monza http://www.mattrini.com/skisetup.html
Try Matt's numbers and see what your buddy thinks. With feedback we'll know what direction to go. If you want the ski to ski "bigger" remove the wing. Front binding should be mounted one hole back from neutral.

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Try Matt's numbers and see what your buddy thinks. With feedback we'll know what direction to go. If you want the ski to ski "bigger" remove the wing. Front binding should be mounted one hole back from neutral.
anxious to try it!!!with size 10 fee, large Addrenalin bingings should the front/rear touch???

MYMC
05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
anxious to try it!!!with size 10 fee, large Addrenalin bingings should the front/rear touch???
Mine are set-up that way.

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Mine are set-up that way.
now you've got me wanting to brave these nasty new england spring conditions!!!

MYMC
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Isn't it snowing there now?

05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Its snowing here in da UP now! :mad:

east tx skier
05-11-2006, 01:38 PM

Mike, my animals have 4 holes. What's neutral. Always wondered about that.

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 05:51 PM
anyone tried a KD Platinum, curious as to how it compares to other skis...heard quality control has been an issue lately...

KD Platinum - 66, 67, 68

Designed for competition skiers, hi-tech light weight core, bi-directional carbon fibre sheets, then wrapped in Texalium (fibreglass replacement) - bevelled edges from front boot to tip and rear boot to tail. Softened lay up of tail construction with elevated ridges w/ wings in tail to focus energy towards edges for quicker initiation turns. Laser aligned turnable fin box for precise adjustability.

Softened lay up of tail construction with elevated ridges w/ wings in tail to focus energy towards edges for quicker initiation turns. Laser aligned turnable fin box for precise adjustability.

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
in checking out the Goode http://www.goode.com/wsamp.html

based on my height 5'10" and weight 178 (says to round down)
tells me i'm 160 AMP and should be on a 65.5"
for 36mph Goode 9736

ski36short
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
It sounds like we're the same size (including the proviso for "skiing shape" which I am not currently in!) - both of my Goode's have been 65.5" 160AMP. I back what Mike said about stock fin settings - measure them! I set up a friend's 9734 with Fluid Motions a couple weeks ago and that was the first ski I'd ever seen with the fin truly at "stock" location out of the box.

88 PS190
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
ski36, with the FM's on the 65.5" are you setting them up to goode's numbers or finding that you need them a smidge back, as FM describes?

rodltg2
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
i just got the ski in the mail, demoing this bad boy tonight!

BuoyChaser
05-12-2006, 01:40 PM
nice lookin' ride...did they change anything from last year's X5 or just the graphics???

do the new style bindings now cross-fit all skis???or are ski companies still doing unique hole patterns???

rodltg2
05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
according to the website they made a few changes..

The ski Marcus Brown rode to victory at the Moomba Masters last year has just been improved. Taking some of the DNA from the new sister ski the NOMAD the 2006 X5 is faster and more stable than ever. The tail bevels were sharpened just enough to allow the ski to accelerate better right out of the turn. The ski accelerates quicker so width is achieved with a minimum of skier effort

the bindings are mine so d3 pattern

rodltg2
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
we'll see how i like it, im also liking the carbonworx...

BuoyChaser
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
we'll see how i like it, im also liking the carbonworx...
don't know of anyone who has skied the carbonworx...

BuoyChaser
05-12-2006, 02:06 PM
according to the website they made a few changes..

The ski Marcus Brown rode to victory at the Moomba Masters last year has just been improved. Taking some of the DNA from the new sister ski the NOMAD the 2006 X5 is faster and more stable than ever. The tail bevels were sharpened just enough to allow the ski to accelerate better right out of the turn. The ski accelerates quicker so width is achieved with a minimum of skier effort

the bindings are mine so d3 pattern
heard the biggest complaint from the X5 was that it didn't have enough speed out of the turn for serious shortline, greater than 35' off...

rodltg2
05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
well that wont be a problem for me any time soon..

Ric
05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
cool!
can we get a pic of that granite desktop?

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 12:00 AM
ahhh the 2006 x5 color would have matched my new boat...oh well, next round!!!

Jorski
06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
heard the biggest complaint from the X5 was that it didn't have enough speed out of the turn for serious shortline, greater than 35' off...

Watched Marcus on the web last week runn 5 at 39.5 off on his X5 at the shootout. This was after ankle surgery over the winter, so I am going to be bold and make two statements:

1) most of us are not working on that pass

and

2) it appears to be plenty fast enough to make whatever you can ski

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Watched Marcus on the web last week runn 5 at 39.5 off on his X5 at the shootout. This was after ankle surgery over the winter, so I am going to be bold and make two statements:

1) most of us are not working on that pass

and

2) it appears to be plenty fast enough to make whatever you can ski
not doubt it has plenty of speed for my needs...just curious what he was running on, ski length and settings???dropped him an email, stoked to give my 67.5" a try!!!

Jorski
06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
not doubt it has plenty of speed for my needs...just curious what he was running on, ski length and settings???dropped him an email, stoked to give my 67.5" a try!!!

I will bet that he will send you that info. These guys have been in my experience very generous.

BuoyChaser
06-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I will bet that he will send you that info. These guys have been in my experience very generous.
can't wait!!!loved the one-handed gate video Marcus put together, so technical and helped me completely understand it...gotten so many variations myself and buddies have each been doin' in wrong all along...

skiin' at a Jamie B clinic saturday morning here in Mass. can't wait...too bad 67.5" won't be here in time, couldn't afford the UPS 3Day air charges from washington to new hampshire!!!