PDA

View Full Version : First day out!

jmyers
05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Well we went out on Sunday and had a great day! Until** on the way in we were going about 20 mph and my buddy was driving and I herd a stange noise not really a bang and then the boat started vibrating! It wasn't shaking but vibrating! Ok it is going in the shop in the morning, so what do you thing it is? There was alot of stuff floating in the water!

Tom023
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Ding on the prop is my first guess.

jmyers
05-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Ding on the prop is my first guess.
I looked and can't see any noticable dings, and the shaft looks ok too! I was expecting to see the prop with some damage, but everthing seems ok!

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I hate it for you man. The question is, how big of a bang, and how bad was the vibration. Sounds like best case scenario, you bent the prop. A worse scenario would be you bent the shaft. Worse still, you bend the shaft up enough that the prop chops up the hull.

I know your buddy feels horrible.

Been there. Wasn't even my boat. Wished that it had been. Example.

jmyers
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
It wasn't a big bang kind of a strange bang! And the vibration is like a lawnmower sound, I drove it in at least 10 miles at 25-30 just had that constant I want to say whinning noise! And there is no visible damage anywhere and I spun the prop back and forth and can't notice any bends. :confused:

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, I should've added that the bend in that picture was caused by hitting a fixed, submerged (broken off) channel marker. Still, it was a bang, followed by some heavy duty vibration. By heavy duty, I mean that there was no 25-30 mph driving after we did that. Even at idle, the vibration was noticeable in our case.

Apart from that, I got nothing

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
were you out at the delta yesterday?

jmyers
05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
were you out at the delta yesterday?
No, we went up to Pedro. I wanted to go out to the Delta but everyone wanted Pedro! There was so much crap in the water, but it was beautiful up there water temp was 77 and it was about 85 degrees! The new depth finder is really nice to have it came with air temp! Too bad it does not find sticks! To top it off I took out hte boat and found a big white rub mark on the passenger side from tying up to a new MB freight liner!

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
the delta was gorgoues yestreday, no wind.. just hung out on the houseboat and drank some beers..

RobertT
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I would bet its the prop. I hit a small log with my boat, and got that same vibration. My prop was perfect, as was the strut. My dealer even came out and checked everything over including the alignment, which was perfect.

When I say the prop looked perfect, I mean not a single noticeable deflection of any kind.

As a last resort, I tried another prop and the vibration was instantly gone.

I would buy a spare prop (you probably will need one anyway) and see if its that.

I know it doesn't take much at all to make a vibration.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Like others have said, it's probably a bent blade on the prop. It doesn't take much & can be tweeked in such a way that it's hard to see.
The only other thing I can think is does the boat vibrate with the engine running and in nuetral? This might indicate an engine problem.

jmyers
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Like others have said, it's probably a bent blade on the prop. It doesn't take much & can be tweeked in such a way that it's hard to see.
The only other thing I can think is does the boat vibrate with the engine running and in nuetral? This might indicate an engine problem.
No vibration until you start moving, I was able to go along pretty fast just the vibration was more! I hope it is just the prop(fingers crossed) It is only the start of the season mabey this will get it out of the way!

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 06:21 PM
My father-in-law hit a little something floating at the end of last season resulting in a bit of a vibration. We didn't see anything at first, but upon closer inspection, there was a nick in the prop blade. As someone else mentioned, it doesn't take much. On the plus side, if you send it to OJ, you could probably have it back by next week. At least that's been our experience.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
No vibration until you start moving, I was able to go along pretty fast just the vibration was more! I hope it is just the prop(fingers crossed) It is only the start of the season mabey this will get it out of the way!
Well, thats a good sign anyway. Find a local prop shop in your area & it might be fixed in a day or two for about $100. And get yourself a 2nd prop. Theres nothing worse than ruining a week long vacation on the first day because the prop got bent early.
Which means it might be a good time to upgrade your prop to one of the new CNC models that Acme & OJ are kickin out these days.

jmyers
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
I know your buddy feels horrible.

Been there. Wasn't even my boat. Wished that it had been. Example.
Doug, this is the same buddy that filled up my boat, paid the launch, brought drinks, and pulled me for a ski! So whats a guy to do? I'll fix it! :toast: Good friends are hard to come by, and he will probably offer to pay for it! :D

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Well that's good. I just remember the feeling. I'd have rather sunk my own boat than to have put a scratch on my father-in-law's, much less do as much damage as I did (and with him not even along with us). Last time I'll ever borrow a boat for sure.

I hunted down the parts paid for the repairs and found a great glass guy out of the deal. Got it back to him running more smoothly than before (no kidding).

If it turns out to be the prop, I highly recommend OJ for the repair if the prop's an OJ. Reasonbly priced and fast turn around.

jmyers
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
If it turns out to be the prop, I highly recommend OJ for the repair if the prop's an OJ. Reasonbly priced and fast turn around.
Doug, do you have a phone number for OJ?

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Here ya go.

Johnson Propeller, Inc.
750 Natalie Blvd.
Loudon, TN 37774
toll free 1.800.359.9730
fax 1.865.458.0686

www.ojprops.com

jmyers
05-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Here ya go.

Johnson Propeller, Inc.
750 Natalie Blvd.
Loudon, TN 37774
toll free 1.800.359.9730
fax 1.865.458.0686

www.ojprops.com
Gracias Senor!

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
De nada.

Don't know what the price is for a CNC'd prop refurb. A four blade legend ran us $80 for the refurb and about $12 each way to ship if memory serves.

You can't really tell from the above picture, but one of those prop blades was bent about 40 degrees aft. They worked a miracle on that thing.

Here's the other picture.

jmyers
05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Took the boat down to the MC shop this morning, and they said it looks like the prop blade was bent! I guess that is better news than the shaft! I will send it off to the prop place Mr. ETS gave me(thankyou) and I bought a new one for a backup! We will see once I get it on the water if that fixes it! :steering:

kalanic
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Thats good news! Good Luck!

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Took the boat down to the MC shop this morning, and they said it looks like the prop blade was bent! I guess that is better news than the shaft! I will send it off to the prop place Mr. ETS gave me(thankyou) and I bought a new one for a backup! We will see once I get it on the water if that fixes it! :steering:

I'll take a dinged prop over a bent shaft any day. Hope OJ does right by you. Our experience with our refurbed, hand-finished prop was a good one.

rodltg2
05-10-2006, 05:24 PM

then i should see you at the delta this weekend

jmyers
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
then i should see you at the delta this weekend
Mabey! I am afraid to put it in the water now! :eek: (just joking!) :D

rodltg2
05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
just so theres no confusion next time jeff, here's the cruiser...

jmyers
05-15-2006, 03:11 PM
I was looking for the BU and never even thought houseboat! We will get together next time! And for more info on the vibration everyone it was the prop, I put on the new prop and no more vibration! :guitar:

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
You get the refurb back from OJ yet?

rodltg2
05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
very nice boat by the way, i saw you drive right past me 3 times!

jmyers
05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
You get the refurb back from OJ yet?
I haven't sent it yet, after the $ for the new one I had to wait! I do have a left pull now that I didn't notice before though! And the boat seems to be eating gas any thoughts? :confused:

SteveO
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
How Many GPH you Burning? My LTR with Ballasts full and mainly wakeboarding burned at about 6 GPH over 10 hours my first major weekend out this year.

jmyers
05-15-2006, 03:44 PM
How Many GPH you Burning? My LTR with Ballasts full and mainly wakeboarding burned at about 6 GPH over 10 hours my first major weekend out this year.
I don't know about the GPH, but I went through $60+ with no ballast and no skiing! Just cruising around, it just seems to go through alot of fuel and I have the MCX. I will have to start checking the GPH, it is still a new boat so mabey it is still breaking in!

jmyers
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
very nice boat by the way, i saw you drive right past me 3 times!
Thanks Rod, it sucks that I wasn't looking for the houseboat! There was about 4 MC's out there an X-30, X-10, Maristar, X-7, and another X-9. The X-9 got pulled at the dock at Guisti's going to have mother's day lunch and they checked everything! They said jackets had to be out for everyone in the boat, I think that is not correct! The Sherrif's were real cocky, I was scared to finish my beer! :eek:

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I haven't sent it yet, after the $ for the new one I had to wait! I do have a left pull now that I didn't notice before though! And the boat seems to be eating gas any thoughts? :confused:

Could whatever your prop tagged have gotten your rudder, too? Without shaft damage or anything like that, I wouldn't think the issue would be in the drivetrain. Take a look at your skegs. Are they all still straight and lined up?

jmyers
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Could whatever your prop tagged have gotten your rudder, too? Without shaft damage or anything like that, I wouldn't think the issue would be in the drivetrain. Take a look at your skegs. Are they all still straight and lined up?
I will take a closer look tonight! Isn't boating fun! :huh:

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Just a big hull in the water in which to throw your money.

jmyers
05-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Just a big hull in the water in which to throw your money.
But I'm running out of money, and the hole in the water keeps getting bigger! :eek:

east tx skier
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, if it turns out to be more than the prop, call that insurance agent. That sort of stuff is often covered.

jmyers
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, if it turns out to be more than the prop, call that insurance agent. That sort of stuff is often covered.
You are supposed to have insurance on these things? :confused:

Just kidding! :D

jmyers
05-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I called the MC shop and they said it could be the rudder that is making it pull and it can be ground off, for a mere $45. I forgot to check everything out last night, but I was thinking about the new "06" rudder and if I have to change should I do it now, and will it really do anything on an X-9? :confused:

Diesel
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I called the MC shop and they said it could be the rudder that is making it pull and it can be ground off, for a mere $45. I forgot to check everything out last night, but I was thinking about the new "06" rudder and if I have to change should I do it now, and will it really do anything on an X-9? :confused:

Not sure if the 06 209 has a "different" rudder. If so and you do the swap I would love to hear how it turns out. :)

jmyers
05-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Not sure if the 06 209 has a "different" rudder. If so and you do the swap I would love to hear how it turns out. :)
My X-9 is an "05" I would think it is on the boarder line of a bogger boat, but don't know if it needs it?

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM

grind it youeself

east tx skier
05-16-2006, 04:02 PM
So did your skegs look okay? Nice and straight?

I can't see the 06 rudder conversion as being a bad thing. From 197s to V-drives, everyone seems to be all smiles about it. As far as a little pull in the steering goes, you might decide you like it. My boat showed up that way. Also, it's an option to have a preground 06 rudder, so if you order one and you definitely want neutral steering, make sure you specify that you don't want the loaded rudder.

rodltg2
05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
no wonder you had a little vibration, dang jeff....

jmyers
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
no wonder you had a little vibration, dang jeff....
Hey how did you get a picture of my new prop? :confused: They said it was for better water propulsion! :rolleyes: