PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 190 Carpet

parkcityeric
05-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a 2001 Prostar 190 with tan interior. We were jumpstarting a friend's jetski this weekend down at Powell and his jumpercables had a short so started to smoke and melt. We were able to disconnect them quickly and get them off the vinyl but unfortunately the carpet on the observer side of the boat did not fair as well since the cables were too hot to remove right away. Any suggestions for replacing carpet? Is it best to order from MC or go with someone local? Does anyone know someone decent around UT? How difficult is the project to do yourself? Any information would be helpful. Thanks, Eric

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
i cant be of any help, but sorry to hear about it. that sucks. post a pic. is it bad enough that you want to replace all the carpet.?

Bert
05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
jumpstarting a jetski :eek: I would like to sink every one of em

dpolen
05-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I just placed the order last week to have snap-in carpet installed in my 225 Maristar...signficant savings due to labor over putting in the stuff that would have been glued to the floorboard. I'm sure I've got more carpet to lay, but I was quoted $450 for the interior of the boat. Higher end carpet would have been $600 including labor. Hope this helps. I wish I had a picture of the new stuff to share, but its going to get installed next week. I inquired at the dealership about the carpet and they sent me elsewhere.

erkoehler
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
When you add snap in carpet, do you just add place snaps around the edges of the interior?

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
yea, although most of the time the subfloor doesn't look very nice, so it helps to spiff that up a bit.

Additionally the carpet is stiched along the edges to have a nice bound edge.

erkoehler
05-08-2006, 10:34 PM
That would be nice to have even if your carpet was in good shape, just as a preventitive measure to any spills, mud, dirt, shoes, etc.

parkcityeric
05-09-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm not going to be so eager to help anyone with a jump start in the near future as it pretty much ruined a flawless boat by melting the carpet. It sounds like the dealer is not going to be an option but will ask them tomorrow. The carpet should not be too different in my 2001 compared to a 2006 as the interior has not changed that significantly the last few years. I was hoping the factory might be able to supply the carpet and I can get someone local to install. I'm pretty much looking at replacing the entire floor as doing only one side would look strange. I think the snap in is a good idea . . . how are the snaps secured to the floor . . . does the snap in carpet fit well over the existing and not move around when you are moving around the boat?

erkoehler
05-09-2006, 12:58 AM
I would give Jim@BAWS or MYMC a call in reference to the snap in carpet.

Snap a pic and post it up. Is the burn area bad enough where you would need to replace it or could you just do the snap in carpet? Atleast then if you know that your going to be having alot of people in and out of the boat, or if you have a feeling it could get "dirty" on a specific outing then you can use the already ruined carpet and snap in the good carpet for when your with caring ski buddies, etc.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 01:44 AM
I would call jet ski dude!

Storm861triple
05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I would give Jim@BAWS or MYMC a call in reference to the snap in carpet.

Snap a pic and post it up. Is the burn area bad enough where you would need to replace it?

It's bad. It melted two lines about 1 cm wide -each-, and 4' long from about the observers seat, back past the engine cover. It looks like crap, and it isn't nice to walk on. The carpet needs to be replaced and Eric is right, doing just the one segment would look funny.

I'm the "jetski dude" BTW, but I will point out in my defense the "Shorting-out" cables weren't mine, and there should be no reason why jumping anything (w/proper equipment) should harm anything. Either way, my mistake and now I get to fix it. :(

Eric, if you read this, I emailed the info to BAWS. I'll call you when I hear some numbers for the material.

-Tom

Mi.mc
05-09-2006, 06:24 PM
jumpstarting a jetski :eek: I would like to sink every one of em

last year a realtor on my lake was replacing the spark plugs on his jet ski and it exploded. (hes allright though)

Bert
05-09-2006, 10:26 PM
last year a realtor on my lake was replacing the spark plugs on his jet ski and it exploded. (hes allright though)
I don't want see any one hurt but...... a jet ski blowing up a realtor, that's just to funny... get rid of a jetski and realtor all in one

Hoosier Bob
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Sorry so late but a good carpet repair guy can probably match and fix for alot less. A few minutes with a glue gun, some sheers and boom!

parkcityeric
05-10-2006, 02:06 AM
I spoke to Utah Water Sports today and you need to order the carpet from MC by the yard. They are to get back to me on the amount required and the cost. I like the idea of snap in carpet but really want the original carpet back to normal. I think we have a lead on the best carpet/upholstery guy in UT so pretty confident we can restore the boat to as new condition eventually. The jumper cables were junk and it was just an unfortunate accident.

shepherd
05-18-2006, 02:46 PM

:confused: How the heck does that happen??? Was the engine running or the switch on at the time? :confused:

Holtrodj
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Check with on your insurance. I spilled oil on my carpet and I'm having it ALL replaced. The insurance company is footing most of the bill (and its a large one). To do the carpet job correctly on a MC, the deck needs to come off the hull, all the carpet needs to be scraped off the floor and be relaid. Most of the carpet in that boat is all one piece so if any is discolored or crushed, patching would look aweful.

USC8791
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I know in 2002 there was an optional carpet cover. Basically carpet you layed over the interior floor to protect your carpet; second layer of carpet (i guess this was designed to have carpet immaculate for re-sale). The "carpet cover" was just a piece of matching carpet. MC may still have this item, or a dealer may have one still in stock, looking to unload for cheap.

parkcityeric
05-08-2007, 01:41 AM
We are back to investigating the carpet issue. I have never gotten it replaced nor have I had a layin piece made up. The local shop is about $300 for the carpet and about $600 for the labor. He is the best in town and thus also the highest cost. I'm going to see if I can get an 8'x24' section of carpet from MC then have the local shop install it. I'm also thinking of getting a lay-in made at the same time. Any one have local carpet experience in UT?

BradD
05-08-2007, 12:45 PM
What about indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes. It looks exactly like the carpet currently in my 1992 ProSport?

milkmania
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
To do the carpet job correctly on a MC, the deck needs to come off the hull, all the carpet needs to be scraped off the floor and be relaid.

totally agree......

but what a PITA:(