PDA

View Full Version : Pull to the gate.

Jimperry
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
It's been a while since I've been on the course. What are your thoughts on setting up for the gate, when to start the pull, & how long to pull??? 15 off @ 34.

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
at that speed and length i like to begin my pull out as the nose of the boat passes the 55's. i ( try ) to pull out about 15 ft past the 2,4, 6 line.

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
its a very personal thing, but most people pull out like rod mentioned, as the boat enters the pregates.

then start their turn in as the boat enters the gates.

its a personal feel to develop and a constant struggle no matter how good a skier is.

pq2
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
im starting to ski at that speed with that lenght of rope, when i see the stern of the boat crossing the gates its when i cut in, but as PS190 said its very personal.

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
if you want an interesting discussion on gates, go to marcusbrown.net and go to his video page.

he has an awesome instructional/educational video about the one handed gate, and west coast slalom fundamentals, its just a great bit of information.

(edit to discuss what ETxS was talking about, and i agree, if i pulled to 15 out i'd have way too much speed at the wakes to keep my ski in the water and my edge through the wakes, if you can make it work there is no reason not to try it, but keep in mind 15 feet is alot wider on 246 than you'll ski 135, and can throw you off because you'll never have that 15 feet of acceleration anywhere else in the course.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
at that speed and length i like to begin my pull out as the nose of the boat passes the 55's. i ( try ) to pull out about 15 ft past the 2,4, 6 line.

That's a pretty wide pull out, Rod. I've been told to pull out just about even with 2,4, and 6. Then again, you're getting more balls than I am so maybe I need to try new things. Just struck me as really wide on the pull out.

pq2
05-08-2006, 03:25 PM
if you want an interesting discussion on gates, go to marcusbrown.net and go to his video page.

he has an awesome instructional/educational video about the one handed gate, and west coast slalom fundamentals, its just a great bit of information.

(edit to discuss what ETxS was talking about, and i agree, if i pulled to 15 out i'd have way too much speed at the wakes to keep my ski in the water and my edge through the wakes, if you can make it work there is no reason not to try it, but keep in mind 15 feet is alot wider on 246 than you'll ski 135, and can throw you off because you'll never have that 15 feet of acceleration anywhere else in the course.

thanks for the link, i will start trying it tomorrow.

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Chris Rossi's take on gates http://www.skitek.net/tek/articles/gates.php

Ric
05-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I ski your line and speed for the most part and I think and I pull out when the boat passes the 55's and try to turn in when the nose of the boat goes thru the gates... you will have to play with that timing til you get something good for your style.

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
imagine you're going around an imaginary buoy, you should have same level of pull into 1ball that you would going from 2ball into 3ball...

that's my biggest problem is i go to hard into 1ball, then ski down course trying to decelerate around 1ball...needs to be fluid and relaxed...

i actually cut out iwhen platform hits the 55s, then do a quick turn and head towards one...need to work on seeing where the boat is in the gates at my point of cuts, heghh maybe that's my problem!!! :)

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
the skitek site has some great video too
look at video three, good crashes in there.