PDA

View Full Version : Jinxed myself!

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Posted a question about the max capacity of a swim platform last week. Little did I know, I would have a wide body sitting on the sunpad slide off while I was surfing yesterday, bounce on the platform, and cause this:

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
that must have been one big person...

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I had a drunk buddy on my boat a few years ago. He started pushing people in, so I pushed him in. Instead of just going with it, he tried to fight it & bounced off the swimstep. It did the exact same thing on one side. He's only about 200 lbs.
I think I paid about $75 for the one piece required to fix it. Cope & McPhetres of Santa Clara (http://www.copeandmcphetres.com/locations.asp?nav=81810&) broke up a kit (that normally includes 4 pieces) to help me out.

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Here he is.... Probably 265#. No alcohol involved. I was surfing, he was on my corner of the pad holding the rope. I started to slip back off the wake and he decided to toss me the rope. The 303 took affect, he slid and bounced. I bailed and looked down and he was 4 feet under water. Said all he could think about was getting hit by a skag. We had a good laugh but didn't know what the damage was until we pulled the boat out of the water.

jraben8
05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Call your dealer, or if you can, unscrew the 4 bolts that hold that bracket and take it to their service department. You might be pleasantly surprised at your results.

It will be very hard to get the platform off with the bracket bent like that.

I had a bracket that looked identical to that one after my last time out last summer.

Sodar
05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Call your dealer, or if you can, unscrew the 4 bolts that hold that bracket and take it to their service department. You might be pleasantly surprised at your results.

I had a bracket that looked identical to that one after my last time out last summer.

I saw a guy who would transport his stand-up jet ski on his Tige' swim platform. I asked him about it and he said he had never had a problem. Upon thinking about it, I would imagine that the weakest points of the system would be the bracket. It seems that the platforms are becoming sooo big (virtually dancefloors) and there would have to be a better way of enforcing them, or adding an additional bracket in th middle of the platform to take pressure off the side brackets...

tommcat
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
i agree on a 3rd bracket being a good idea

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
It seems that the platforms are becoming sooo big (virtually dancefloors) and there would have to be a better way of enforcing them, or adding an additional bracket in th middle of the platform to take pressure off the side brackets...
Like Calabria does........I think their swimsteps are about the biggest in the biz.

G-man
05-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Nobody ever said Tig'e owners were smart. :uglyhamme

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM

It came off quite easy. Did your dealer re-weld it? Do you know what the black rubbery compound is that the screws were imbedded in?

Sodar
05-08-2006, 03:15 PM
It came off quite easy. Did your dealer re-weld it? Do you know what the black rubbery compound is that the screws were imbedded in?
I would imagine that the black rubbery stuff is just black silicone?

bigmac
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
That looks very weldable. I'm sorry that happened, but I'm very glad to see that the brackets break before tearing the screws/bolts out of the transom.

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Not only that, but the bottom half supported us the rest of the day. One of the 2 screws from the bottom is slightly bent. Anybody know if there are bolts inside of or on the inside of the hull or if the silicone/epoxy/black stuff supplies the support?

Tom023
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Vegas, did the bolts just screw into the boat, or are they through bolted with nuts and backing plate?

I know nothing about welding, looks like the bracket is cast aluminum, can that be welded?

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
It seems that the screws just screwed into the hull. There is no readily visable or accessible backing plate. If there is one it is behind the port ballast tank or under the floorboard. I do not want to go to the dealer for this as that is a PIA although the boat is not much more than a, well.....? without out is.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Vegas, did the bolts just screw into the boat, or are they through bolted with nuts and backing plate?

I know nothing about welding, looks like the bracket is cast aluminum, can that be welded?
As I recall they were cast of some kind, aluminum, steel, etc. Even looked like cheap potmetal. Not sure if it was weldable but didn't think it would be a good idea to try it.
Be sure to seal the bolt holes with silicone as you install the new bracket.

vegashomeexpert
05-08-2006, 03:51 PM
My guess is it is pot metal. Heavier than aluminum but and the break point is rough and jagged.

WakeSeeky
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh, bummer. :( Pictures of wakesurfing weren't supposed to include a broken platform!

jraben8
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Vegas, check your pm's.

vegashomeexpert
05-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I'll be darned! Got a call from the local dealer yesterday to say that my brackets are in. This was one day after speaking to them and them telling me they would have to fax a form to MC to find out about availability and pricing. They must have just placed the order and overnighted it or..... could just be lucky timing. :smile:

Cloaked
05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
You didn't post these pics in the JB Weld thread.... Darn double posters... :D

Time for new brackets as you have done.... Tacks wouldn't do anything for this breakage... :shocked: :shocked:

:steering:

vegashomeexpert
05-12-2006, 09:10 PM
New brackets are in and on! Piece o' cake. Even have a backup. :banana: Yeah, should've posted the pics on the JB thread but because of the break and the amount of stress at the break point, I didn't really think it would work in this instance. Somebody from work suggested it so I thought I would see what this body of knowledge knew. Always good info, always!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm very glad to see that the brackets break before tearing the screws/bolts out of the transom.
Me too....... Nice to know. Especially for towing, In case of accident.

TMCNo1
05-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Take the bracket to a welding shop that does Heli-Arc [aluminum welding] and have it fixed, paint it black, then you will have a spare set, just in case. The brackets are Cast Aluminum!

vegashomeexpert
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Take the bracket to a welding shop that does Heli-Arc [aluminum welding] and have it fixed, paint it black, then you will have a spare set, just in case. The brackets are Cast Aluminum!
Too late! With the new ones in, the broken one is now an irreplacable paper weight at my office. ;)

Thrall
05-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Not too get too off topic, but on my boat the right side mount has no screws in the bottom 2 holes. Never did, no holes, and has never been repaired (unless they did a darn good job). I have been lax about drilling some new screws in, as I figured the top ones support all the weight, but after seeing this, If I break the bracket, my platforms gonna be in the drink.
Do the 96's have thru bolts and backer plates?? Or is it a simple pilot hole and screw in some screws (w/ silicone of course)?