PDA

View Full Version : Have any PS209 owners gotten their hull "Hooked?"

NSXBill
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
The early PS209s did not have the "hook" at the back of the hull like the 03 and up boats do, and I know some of you had MC or other shops install the hook.

The process involves sanding away the gel-coat, adhearing a fiberglass wedge, and gel-coating over it at the rear of the hull. I believe the hook or wedge is only about 1/2" deep and 3" wide and goes across the width of the transom. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wouldn't the trailer bunks interfere with the hook? Does it go across the entire transom?

Anyone with a hooked or 03 and up 209/X9 have pictures of the hook and how if fits the trailer bunks?

Please also comment on what, how, when, who did it, etc and comment on how you like the results.

Thanks,

Bill

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
it would be very hard to notice in a picture. you can barely even feel it..

Diesel
05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Rod is right. It does not take much and in most cases you cannot see it, only feel it. The MC rep that did my 205 used layers of masking tape on the trailing edge and test drove it until he was happy. Too much hook can be just as bad, if not worse, than not enough. It is a balancing act and I would have someone that knows what they are doing perform the modification.

NSXBill
05-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Guys with factory hook on 209/X9:

How far on either side of centerline does hook go? To the first chine, before it reaches the bunk? Or is it all the way across the back. I know it is hard to see, but I've clearly seen it several times, just wasn't looking for the detail I'm asking about now.

DanC
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
It is very easy to see on my boat. But probably won't show well in a picture because of the gloss. I think it stops before the bunks. I can take measurements and pictures tonight.

NSXBill
05-08-2006, 02:20 PM
It is very easy to see on my boat. But probably won't show well in a picture because of the gloss. I think it stops before the bunks. I can take measurements and pictures tonight.
Dan, did you have yours done or did your boat come like that? Thanks for looking into it for me.

Hoff1
05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I put one on my '90 MariStar 210 which is fairly similar in size to the newer PS 209's. Mine was maybe 1.5 - 2 feet across the transom, stops about 6" before my bunks. Don't know how much the underside of the newer boats compare to mine though.

I would think everyone would agree that the results are awesome if you have a boat that porpoises a lot.

DanC
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Dan, did you have yours done or did your boat come like that? Thanks for looking into it for me.

It came with the hook from the dealer. I don't know for sure if the dealer did it or the factory but I would be surprised if this dealer did it.

NSXBill
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
It came with the hook from the dealer. I don't know for sure if the dealer did it or the factory but I would be surprised if this dealer did it.

Oh, I see now you have a 2003. That should have been the revised, hooked hull from the factory. Appreciate anything you can pass on after looking at it tonight.

DanC
05-09-2006, 10:43 AM
The hook on my '03 goes from chine to chine. It is about 1" deep and about 1/3-1/2" tall.

DanC
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I took other pics but they didn't turn out.

NSXBill
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
EXACTLY what I was looking for Dan.

Many thanks!

BTW, I didn't know anyone else used machinist scales besides me. :)

limegreen
05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
What does it do?

SKI*MC
05-10-2006, 12:11 AM
it helps the boat to not porpus at higher speeds, and to handle water flow on the hull better.