PDA

View Full Version : Back from Belize

BrianM
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm back and now burried in over a weeks worth of work. Had an awsome time. Spent right about 10 hours underwater diving which is my idea of a great vacation. Will post a couple of pics here when I dig out of work.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Welcome back. Looking forward to the pics!

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Here are some Pictures....

Ambergris Key

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:34 AM
View from the bar.

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Belikin great beer!

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Locals after a hard night. This was taken about 7am Saturday morning.

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Downtown San Pedro rush hour.

BrianM
05-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Ocean View

kalanic
05-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Welcome back! Very Nice!

Mag_Red
05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
WEcome back...........looks like a great place to unwind. :wavey:

sizzler
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
should be .......its still one of our conquests :cool:

BrianM
05-18-2006, 12:02 PM
should be .......its still one of our conquests :cool:

Come on now. Belize became independent in 1981 and is no longer called British Honduras. :rolleyes:

stevo137
05-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Nice pics Brian. I saw my brother in law and SIL last Saturday and as I mentioned, they dive many places and they said that they still like to dive in Coz the best. Their Guatemala/Belize trip was just OK.
I guess the hairy spider the size of a saucer on the ceiling in very nice hotel didn't help.
Anyway, how would you compare the diving?

BrianM
05-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Anyway, how would you compare the diving?

I liked Belize better for diving and for the overall vacation. Cozumel is just so crowded now with all of the cruise ships and American influence chains etc. When I go on vacation I like to get away from all of that. Belieze is extremely laid back, has a lot less tourist pressure and is not the place to go if you want a big club scene night life

As for the diving I loved Cozumel ( the fast drift diving was great) and I think that the reef and dive sites that are close to Ambergris Caye are about the same as those in Coz. Cozumel may have a slight advantage on the color of the coral but Belize definitely has an advantage on fish, especially large fish and things like Nurse Sharks, Rays and Sea turtles. The three dives we did on one of the outer atols in Belize (Lighthouse Reef) were no comparison. The reef walls were pristine.with the most vibrant colors and the amount of fish including huge schools of larger fish was amazing. Hands down I would go back to Belize before I make another trip to Cozumel.and for us the travel time is about the same.

That being said our next dive trip is going to be to either Rotan or Bonaire depending on where I can find the best deal. We like to go to new places.

shepherd
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Here are some Pictures....

Ambergris Key

Great air shot. What kind of plane were you in? You weren't sitting in the left seat in the cockpit were you?

BrianM
05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Great air shot. What kind of plane were you in? You weren't sitting in the left seat in the cockpit were you?

Cessna Caravan. I was in the seat directly behind the pilot and I shot the picture over his shoulder. My wife was in the co-pilot seat on that flight.

M-Funf
05-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Very nice!

I really love Belize. Been both in the forests and on the water. Gotta be careful of the bandits on the roads, though... :(

Maristar210
05-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Nice pic's

Sounds like a great time.

What bandits?

Steve

M-Funf
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
What bandits?
Steve

I didn't run into any trouble, but others that I met said we were not safe driving on the Hummingbird Highway (main road from north to south). Bandits block the road with trees or flag you down, then rob you..and sometimes worse :(

I didn't know that when I was there the first time until I had already driven the road...

mitch
05-18-2006, 02:54 PM
I liked Belize better for diving and for the overall vacation. Cozumel is just so crowded now with all of the cruise ships and American influence chains etc. When I go on vacation I like to get away from all of that. Belieze is extremely laid back, has a lot less tourist pressure and is not the place to go if you want a big club scene night life

As for the diving I loved Cozumel ( the fast drift diving was great) and I think that the reef and dive sites that are close to Ambergris Caye are about the same as those in Coz. Cozumel may have a slight advantage on the color of the coral but Belize definitely has an advantage on fish, especially large fish and things like Nurse Sharks, Rays and Sea turtles. The three dives we did on one of the outer atols in Belize (Lighthouse Reef) were no comparison. The reef walls were pristine.with the most vibrant colors and the amount of fish including huge schools of larger fish was amazing. Hands down I would go back to Belize before I make another trip to Cozumel.and for us the travel time is about the same.

That being said our next dive trip is going to be to either Rotan or Bonaire depending on where I can find the best deal. We like to go to new places.

Great pics!
The diving was awesome in Coz, and we just snorkled in Belieze. Unfortunantly we did not get to see any of the good parts of Belieze. We came in on a cruise ship, got packed into a shuttle boats to an off-site island, which was beautiful, but we were all disappointed in the underwater scenery. Rum punches were great! We got back to the area where all the cruise ship passengers hang out and decided to venture into the local downtown area, and it was nasty w/ some rough customer types. Wife lasted 15 mins and said scr@w this, let's get back to where there's some security. We were approaced by prolly 7 bums in that short time, and some did not like no for an answer. I knew there were some awesome spots (and you found em), but I'll never ever get my wife back there again :(

jpattigr
05-19-2006, 02:44 AM
Roatan has the best diving snorkling that I have been too!! Go it is a great place, very poor and not fancy but the people are awesome, safe and cheap!!
Been to coz, belize, all over Carbi and Roatan is my fav. I am actually thinking about buying a place there as prices are still OK.