PDA

View Full Version : Winch Strap Broke Yesterday.

#47of100TeamMC
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Went out on Balsam Lake yesterday with Steve and Eric. Great Spot! upon loading up and heading out, I drove the boat onto the trailer and stopped to grab the winch strap and hook on to pull it up the rest of the way as I always do... and about 2' from engaging the Boat buddy the strap ripped straight across and broke! It's seat belt material for crying out loud... how does it just snap? luckily it broke about 6" from the hook, so I was able to let a bunch of strap out of the winch and re-tie it onto the hook and re-try. had to back the trailer in a little further to float the boat up to where the boat buddy would engage. and all was fine.

Here lies the question. You guys with boat buddies... do you have a safely chain other than the winch strap? I never thought about it before until the incident yesterday. I suppose it would be a good idea. Also, who straps the transom to the trailer? Would be another safety measure instead of or along with the safety chain I suppose.

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Man thats pretty freaky! Makes me think I outta add a safety chain to my setup for those road trips! I disengage my boat buddy once I am up the ramp and in the parking lot and have put the tow strap on.

jsonova99
05-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I strap the transom down and have a safety chain up front. Inexpensive peice of mind. I also trailer almost 40 miles each way though and I'm really paranoid about trailering.

Footin
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I tow with the boat buddy engaged, the winch strap tight and motorcycle tiedowns on the back.

Once I get home, I loosen the winch strap so it doesn't sit there with pressure on it. Don't know if it helps the life of the strap or not, just thought why have this pressure on the strap and bow eye while its just sitting there.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I need another strap up front. I used to do that on my old boat and don't know what I did with my short strap.

I also strap from the trailer eyelits over the gunwhales behind the motor box.

I don't use a boat buddy anymore.

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I tow with the boat buddy engaged, the winch strap tight and motorcycle tiedowns on the back.

Once I get home, I loosen the winch strap so it doesn't sit there with pressure on it. Don't know if it helps the life of the strap or not, just thought why have this pressure on the strap and bow eye while its just sitting there.

Just don't forget to tighten the strap back down before driving off!! :eek:

Footin
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Never.....part of my hook up procedure....always double check everything.

sizzler
05-08-2006, 12:27 PM
two ratchet tie downs at the rear....1 at the front......boat buddy engaged and the winch cranked up.........some of the pics on here have made me this anal(safety-minded)

phecksel
05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Went out on Balsam Lake yesterday with Steve and Eric. Great Spot! upon loading up and heading out, I drove the boat onto the trailer and stopped to grab the winch strap and hook on to pull it up the rest of the way as I always do... and about 2' from engaging the Boat buddy the strap ripped straight across and broke! It's seat belt material for crying out loud... how does it just snap? luckily it broke about 6" from the hook, so I was able to let a bunch of strap out of the winch and re-tie it onto the hook and re-try. had to back the trailer in a little further to float the boat up to where the boat buddy would engage. and all was fine.

Here lies the question. You guys with boat buddies... do you have a safely chain other than the winch strap? I never thought about it before until the incident yesterday. I suppose it would be a good idea. Also, who straps the transom to the trailer? Would be another safety measure instead of or along with the safety chain I suppose.

Seat belt webbing is extremely sensitive to cuts or sharp edges

TMCNo1
05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Always keep Boat Buddy engaged while towing and winch strap snug. When I get home I loosen the winch strap a bit to take the pressure off! When I had the hook sewed to the 25' winch strap I had 5' of the strap sewed so it will double up on the winch about 5 times when it's tight. I installed a doubled 1/4" S/S plastic coated safety cable when trailer was rebuilt in 1997 with S/S hook to match winch strap hook. Trailered the boat nearly 30,000 mi. and never used a gunnel or transom strap. The boat would have to climb up and over the fenders and the guide bars and if it does that, your in serious trouble anyway and a gunnel or transom straps won't be of much help.

Ric
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
There had to have been some damage or blemish on your winch strap for it to break like that... Do you store outside? Could it have been damaged by the sun and weakened?

Hoff1
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I broke my winch strap a couple of years ago :eek: when I was pulling out of the water. If it weren’t for the safety chain I would have had to scrape the boat off of the ramp. If I tow more than a few miles, I tie it down like crazy. Winch strap, chain and extra racket strap in the front and 2 racket straps in the back. Worth the peace of mind. Normally, I only use the chain and winch strap though since I tow only a couple of miles typically.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM

Word up to that! I do the same thing! :D

Diesel
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I never tow without this in place.

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/7246/dsc01166r6xs.jpg

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Nice Diesel! Talk about the ultimate in security!

I've had the winch strap break on a couple different trailers. And I had a winch implode on me once too.
The manufacturer of the Boat Buddy,Kodiak Trailer of Ft Worth, TX., (http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/redswish/boat_buddy.htm) doesn't recommend you tow with the Buddy locked on the bow ring. The additional stress on the Buddy caused by the boat movement while towing can really mess it up.

So in light of these two issues, I pull the boat up on the trailer, let the Buddy lock down like it's designed, and pull the boat/trailer out to the wipe down area out of people's way. Then we wipe the boat down, secure all the gear, winch the boat up tight, release the Buddy, and then secure a bow chain & release the tension on the winch. Then install the stern straps & she's ready to roll.

#47of100TeamMC
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
She sits in my garage unless it's in the water... i don't let the strap loose though when in the garage, cuz I'd surely forget to snug it up before I took off. But I never saw a blemish or cut in the strap until it broke, i was right there cranking it up and saw it just rip apart it was unreal.

There had to have been some damage or blemish on your winch strap for it to break like that... Do you store outside? Could it have been damaged by the sun and weakened?

#47of100TeamMC
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Diesel, looks like a great setup, I'm going to get something on the front in addition to the winch strap/boat buddy.

Tom023
05-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Same as the others here, I added a safety chain and use it in addition to the strap. I tow with the boat buddy disengaged but am going to replace it with a roller like Diesel is using. I also losen the strap when stored to take the pressure off.

Sodar
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I too had my strap break upon winching. The nylon seatbelt material weakens over time with sun and pressure. When mine broke, I just pulled about 2 feet of webbing out, cut it and had it restiched by my canvas shop. It has lasted me 3 years without any issue. I do like TMC No1's idea of doubling it up though! Kudos to you!

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Might want to think about the strap getting wet and developing rot on it as well.

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
She sits in my garage unless it's in the water... i don't let the strap loose though when in the garage, cuz I'd surely forget to snug it up before I took off. But I never saw a blemish or cut in the strap until it broke, i was right there cranking it up and saw it just rip apart it was unreal.

you get out of your boat and hand crank it up? you need to properly learn how to load your boat...

#47of100TeamMC
05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
you get out of your boat and hand crank it up? you need to properly learn how to load your boat...

By "properly Load" your boat do you mean power on up until the boat buddy clicks, so as to ruin every launch so the next guy that backs off his trailer wrecks his prop on the big mound of rocks that is created from all the bass boats and idiots like you who power load at the ramp? is that what you mean by "PROPERLY LOADING" your boat?:rant:

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 03:38 PM
i think the majority of us do power load. i dont know about that theory of the rocks. i never come acroos that...

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
By "properly Load" your boat do you mean power on up until the boat buddy clicks, so as to ruin every launch so the next guy that backs off his trailer wrecks his prop on the big mound of rocks that is created from all the bass boats and idiots like you who power load at the ramp? is that what you mean by "PROPERLY LOADING" your boat?:rant:

I power load. We have soft muddy bottoms on our lake. The launch area around the ramp is shallow and has minimal maintenance. If there is a ridge on the bottom that resulted from idiots like me power loading, no one I know has ever had a problem with it. There are some places the benefit from "no power loading rules," lakes like mine with soft bottoms and no rocks aren't among them.

When I did my annual routine check of my trailer before the season started last year, I unwound my winch to inspect the strap. I found a worn spot and replaced it. It was still in good shape when I checked it before the start of this season. Probably a good thing for us all to add to our pre-season checklist.

Sodar
05-08-2006, 03:42 PM
i think the majority of us do power load. i dont know about that theory of the rocks. i never come acroos that...

I agree, most of the ramps I use are concrete 30' past where the back of my trailer is... there is no sand or rocks.

Ric
05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
there was a long thread about this on here awhile ago
some lakes forbid power loading
NOT MINE 8p
we have a sandy bottom on our lake and there is a huge hole at the end of our ramp because of power loading but it hasn't hurt any of us.... yet...

#47of100TeamMC
05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Looks like the Local DNR could take some pointers on how to build boat landings then... around here the concrete pad usually ends too early, and you can risk dropping your trailer tires off and bottoming out your trailer on the concrete, and/or since the concrete ends too early, it goes from 5'deep to 1.5' deep and you get just step out knee deep in water and push the boat past then drive up closer to the dock to pick up your crew.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Some of it depends on the grade of the ramp as well. The steeper the grade, the more likely that the prop wash will push the lake bottom around.

rodltg2
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
and how does the prop spinning cause a big pyle of rocks to form. also we dont call you an idiot for hand cranking your boat , so dont call us idiots for power loading...

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Rod, I posted a picture of it a while back. I've never come across a Texas ramp that has a no power loading rule. With wet bunks, it doesn't' take a lot to get my boat up on the trailer.

Sodar
05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Looks like the Local DNR could take some pointers on how to build boat landings then... around here the concrete pad usually ends too early, and you can risk dropping your trailer tires off and bottoming out your trailer on the concrete, and/or since the concrete ends too early, it goes from 5'deep to 1.5' deep and you get just step out knee deep in water and push the boat past then drive up closer to the dock to pick up your crew.

Interesting... The reason I have so much room on our ramps right now is because the water level is so high, but I guess I will need to watch out for this when we have low water. Needless to say, different strokes for differet folks!

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Here's the other thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=674&highlight=power+loading) about the no power loading rules on some lakes.

Hoff1
05-08-2006, 03:57 PM
For those of you that don't power load, can you winch your boat up the trailer sufficiently with just the crank?

I've never had any success getting the boat up far enough on the trailer without having the trailer at the perfect depth and then power loading. My lake doesn't have any power loading rules either luckily because of the concrete ramps that run very deep. My crank just doesn't have enough ummmf to get it up. I have a non-MC trailer which might be contributing.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I've had to do it once with my father-in-law's boat after he shredded his impeller. Basically, it involved various depths with the trailer to get it on. I much prefer applying a little power.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Can't you just push the trailer in a bit further so it doesn't take so much power from the engine or winch to get up the bunks? I can & do all the time.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Depends on the ramp angle I think. If you get the trailer in too far, the bow eye can hit the vbunks and the trailer can't be winched in.

DanC
05-08-2006, 05:49 PM
For those of you that don't power load, can you winch your boat up the trailer sufficiently with just the crank?

Our club ramp does not allow power loading because it undermines the concrete slab ramp. and Doug's comment is why I can't just back the trailer in further.

I can pull my 209 up with the winch, but only because I use Liquid Rollers, a spray on bunk carpet lubricant.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Depends on the ramp angle I think. If you get the trailer in too far, the bow eye can hit the vbunks and the trailer can't be winched in.
Yea, that would mean the trailer was in too far, which happens on my 205 too. But if I back in so the trailer fenders are just barely under, the boat will float up the trailer till the bow is about 1' or 2' from the Buddy/winch. That last foot or so, the front of the bunks are hitting bottom of the boat & the bow rises up, getting the bow ring up over the bunk.
At that point I can almost pull the boat the last foot or two so it's easy to power up or winch it up, even hanging over the bow.

rick s.
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
my wife does the power load. It's quick and easy.

Ric
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
my wife does the power load. It's quick and easy.
:popcorn: .

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Yea, that would mean the trailer was in too far, which happens on my 205 too. But if I back in so the trailer fenders are just barely under, the boat will float up the trailer till the bow is about 1' or 2' from the Buddy/winch. That last foot or so, the front of the bunks are hitting bottom of the boat & the bow rises up, getting the bow ring up over the bunk.
At that point I can almost pull the boat the last foot or two so it's easy to power up or winch it up, even hanging over the bow.

I still think it depends on the ramp. On a really shallow grade, with the fenders just under the water, the rest of the bunks might be submerged as well. But on a steeper ramp, that might not be enought to float it all the way up.

Bert
05-08-2006, 08:19 PM
It won't make a mess like that if done correctly. Takes very little power when the trailer is at the correct depth to set the boat buddy. I pretty much coast into it and use power for the last few inches. That's what "properly load" means.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Definitely NOT. There is a happy medium. And when there is a line of trucks & trailers at the ramp waiting to pick up their boats at the end of the day, having 1/2 a clue how to use your equipment without getting hostile will do everyone a lot of good.

skitilldark
05-08-2006, 11:53 PM

No, but I've always worried about that freakin' thing breakin and slapping my face off. You just confirmed my worst fears. Good, Something new to worry about.

Hoff1
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Our ramp is fairly steep, lake level fluctuates by typically 30+ feet. Everytime I've tried to winch it or float it up, when I pull out my nose it 4"-6" back from being all the way forward.

From a skiboat standpoint, no one on my lake will complain to us. It's the 1000 hp boats that rip the lake at 100 mph that would draw attention on power loading.

#47of100TeamMC
05-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Yep, Eastie is correct again. If the ramp is too steep, which most of ours seem to be. you can't run the trailer too far into the water or the bow eye will catch the v-bunks, it also suck trying to unload and if the trailer is inenough to get the boat off the trailer, the bow eye catches the v-bunks and you have to pull the trailer out a bit until it just clears. by now ya figure out how far you need to back in at each ramp.

#47of100TeamMC
05-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Definitely NOT. There is a happy medium. And when there is a line of trucks & trailers at the ramp waiting to pick up their boats at the end of the day, having 1/2 a clue how to use your equipment without getting hostile will do everyone a lot of good.

Junk, it takes 30 seconds to hook the winch strap on the bow eye when it's 1-2' from the winch about a dozen cranks and it's up. the wife doesn't even have time to get out of the truck and come back to help cuz when she back the trailer in and stops I'm already half way on the trailer and shut off the motor while it coasts to 2' from the winch I'm at the bow and hook it up and crank a few times and "click" and she drives out. for the extra 30 seconds it takes to crank the last few feet by hand, I'd much rather do that and not be the cause of the rock piles.

This was an innocent post until what's his nutz decided to start offending people by critisizing how somebody loads their boat on their trailer cuz it wasn't his way which is ALWAYS the correct way. Some people are considerate of others at the launch. If we had a concrete slab 30' out then I'd be power loading to the 'click' too.

rodltg2
05-09-2006, 12:07 PM

oh yeah, real offensive...

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
oh yeah, real offensive...

Hey, whatsyernutz, you talkin' to yourself again.

/Don't worry rod, I come from a family of idiot power-loading bass fishermen. I blame my genes.

LakePirate
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
what's his nutz

:uglyhamme

Edit: Hey Eastie can we get Rod's name changed?

TMCNo1
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I talked to "NUMBNUTZ" the other night on here and ofishally made him a member of the "Super Hero's". You will recognize him when you see him on here, he has a on T-shirt with a picture of MC full of squirrels and nuts and one squirrel says " Going riding with him is nuts"!

TMCNo1
05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
It won't make a mess like that if done correctly. Takes very little power when the trailer is at the correct depth to set the boat buddy. I pretty much coast into it and use power for the last few inches. That's what "properly load" means.

That's it! I've never loaded my boat in 17 years, my wife or daughter always has, it's that simple! We've been on 34 lakes in 9 states and never once had a problem of any kind launching or loading the boat and that is with the bar 8 years and with the Boat buddy 9 years.
We learned early, it's not how much the fenders are in or out of the water, it's how much of the carpeted bunks are in the water.

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
We learned early, it's not how much the fenders are in or out of the water, it's how much of the carpeted bunks are in the water.

Or, put another way, it's how much the fenders are out of the water multiplied by a factor determined by the angle formed between your tow vehicle and the trailer.

Get your protractor out and measure at the tongue. :uglyhamme

Hoff1
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Sounds like I need someone to invent a green light that will light up when my trailer is at the perfect depth. It will read ramp angle, water depth, ramp substrate, quantity of people waiting to load/unload their boat, slickness of trailer bunks, horsepower of motor, local lake rules and how many girls in bikinis are watching...

AirJunky
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Junk, it takes 30 seconds to hook the winch strap on the bow eye when it's 1-2' from the winch about a dozen cranks and it's up. the wife doesn't even have time to get out of the truck and come back to help cuz when she back the trailer in and stops I'm already half way on the trailer and shut off the motor while it coasts to 2' from the winch I'm at the bow and hook it up and crank a few times and "click" and she drives out. for the extra 30 seconds it takes to crank the last few feet by hand, I'd much rather do that and not be the cause of the rock piles.
We went skiing last Saturday & saw a newb on the ramp & just had to kick back & watch. Brand new MC v-drive, trailer backed in WAY too far, guy standing in the water up to his nutz with his jeans on, leaning way out over the trailer trying to hook up his winch strap so he could winch it up the trailer. Then the wind gave him a little push to the side & he had the boat on the trailer sideways. Too bad his dealer didn't show him how to drive right up the trailer & into the Boat Buddy like MC designed it.

This was an innocent post until what's his nutz decided to start offending people by critisizing how somebody loads their boat on their trailer cuz it wasn't his way which is ALWAYS the correct way. Some people are considerate of others at the launch. If we had a concrete slab 30' out then I'd be power loading to the 'click' too.
I never got that from "what's his nutz" comment. What he said might have insinuated that someone wasn't using their equipment as it was designed..................or I could be wrong.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
And the golden rule for how much carpeted bunks are in the water is????

That's it! I've never loaded my boat in 17 years, my wife or daughter always has, it's that simple! We've been on 34 lakes in 9 states and never once had a problem of any kind launching or loading the boat and that is with the bar 8 years and with the Boat buddy 9 years.

TMCNo1
05-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Or, put another way, it's how much the fenders are out of the water multiplied by a factor determined by the angle formed between your tow vehicle and the trailer.

Get your protractor out and measure at the tongue. :uglyhamme

And only if the trailer is level and identical and symmetrical about the centerline, except as noted or otherwise implied in writing, void where prohibited, before the expiration date expires, with the purchase of 2 ramp fees at regular price of equal or lesser value, while supplies last, unless substitutes are offered. :eek:
or
Just load it up, wipe it down and go home! :steering:

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Memory Lane

In February 2003, I found a much earlier incarnation of this discussion forum by doing a google search for "trailering with boat buddy." My inaugural post had to do with the recommended way to trailer with the thing. I got the answers I needed and bought the boat a few days later.

Thanks, to JimN, Andre, BriEOD, Jimmer, DanC or whoever took pity on me and got me one step closer to buying my boat.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Now for my 2 cents. Boat buddies are for power loading. east tx is right, the angle of the ramp will determine how the boat will go on the easiest. My ramp has a steep angle.. you might be crankin all day just to move the boat. If there is a no power loading sign..don't power load. If mc and others didn't want you to power load then they would have put fri**in' rollers on the trailers.

point # 2 whats up with the name calling?
point #3 the bottom of the lake/river have seen much harsher conditions than small indentations from power loading
point#4 load your damn boat the best way you can.

seems to be alot of "do it my way or its the wrong way" people today.
Must be the weather (rain in the northeast)

TMCNo1
05-09-2006, 05:40 PM
And the golden rule for how much carpeted bunks are in the water is????

IMO, it's all trial and error with each model boat and it's trailer.
If you bang the Boat Buddy, it's too much boat power or the trailer is in too deep. If you have trouble getting to the Boat Buddy, it's too little power or the trailer is in too shallow. I guess it's a matter of patience, practice and applying what you learn! Different strokes for different folks!

Ric
05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
this looks more like an off-season thread than a springtime thread!

east tx skier
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
this looks more like an off-season thread than a springtime thread!

And we didn't even get into the variable on your ramp about the weird angle the trailer has to be at right after the tire goes into the water to make it sit level.

To get back on track a little bit, if you're not power loading, hit those bunks with some spray on wax after you launch. This will make it easier for the boat to be pulled on and will wax the hull under the bunks t'boot. Be careful on the next launch though. Don't unhook until the boat is over something wet, especially if it's a steep ramp. You don't want it sliding off the bunks onto the concrete.

Also, check your winch strap often. It will undoubtedly need to be replaced more often than would a strap that sees little use because the owner chooses to power load.

jmyers
05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Damn Rod is this what your new BU is doing to you! :eek: I thought BU'S load themselves! :D

jimmer2880
05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
:popcorn: ..... just .... :popcorn:

MariStar-Man
08-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Great Thread. I seen some pics but none that would apply to my 1999 Maristart and MC trailer. There is no eye hook on the front art of my trailer.

Does anyone have a pic of what type of Tie Down strap used to secure the front of the boat.

So, I guess the consensus is to unlock the Boat budy when trailering?
This is the way the previous owner gave me the boat

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/DSC01094.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/trailer/DSC01175.jpg

I'm also buying a new strap...

JimN
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Great Thread. I seen some pics but none that would apply to my 1999 Maristart and MC trailer. There is no eye hook on the front art of my trailer.

Does anyone have a pic of what type of Tie Down strap used to secure the front of the boat.

So, I guess the consensus is to unlock the Boat budy when trailering?
This is the way the previous owner gave me the boat

I'm also buying a new strap...

Can you resize your photos?

Use the Boat Buddy when trailering. If the trailer fits the boat and the boat is fastened at the bow (winch strap) and at the rear (transom straps), the rod in the Boat Buddy won't be stressed much unless you have to drive on rough roads.

The previous owner didn't understand how to load the boat onto the trailer.

What tie down strap for the bow? That's why the Boat Buddy is there.

MariStar-Man
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
What tie down strap for the bow? That's why the Boat Buddy is there.

The previous owner had it that way. I want something in case the winch strap breaks that, boat buddy breaks that I have some chain or tie down from the eye to the trailer.

I can use chain from the Traier to a hook into eye, but wanted to see if anyone had pics

i'll try to resize pics..

VOLFAN
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
take a tie down and attach to the eye and then just wrap t around the framing of your trailer if you feel you must use a tie down up front in addition to the boat buddy and winch strap

Happy to see you found the search tool. Now we will get to revisit some older threads.

JimN
08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
The previous owner had it that way. I want something in case the winch strap breaks that, boat buddy breaks that I have some chain or tie down from the eye to the trailer.

I can use chain from the Traier to a hook into eye, but wanted to see if anyone had pics

If the Boat Buddy breaks, I think you'll be more concerned with surviving whatever caused it. I have seen some boats with a heavy plastic coated cable with the same kind of snap hook as a winch strap, looped around the arm with the winch on it, using the usual cable hardware to secure the ends.

Archimedes
08-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Overkill in my opinion. Just make sure your winch and boat buddy are in good condition and strap down the transom. The boat isn't going anywhere unless you have a serious accident.