PDA

View Full Version : Impeller, and oil change.

ksmaristar91
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, she was a little rough starting and ran rough for a minute or two, but after "blowing her out" she ran and started like a gem. I changed the oil and impeller, this is where i ran into some snags. The fitting on the end of the oil drain line leaks when it is under the boat, would like to replace, anyone done this? Also one of my brass bolts broke when putting the impeller plate back on, I didnt think i was being to hard on it, how tight do they need to be? I need a new bolt, does it have to be brass? Thanks in advance for any help!

Austin

Tom023
05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I broke one of those brass bolts too and got a replacement at the dealer, not the parts department but from the service manager. Skidim has them as well. I would keep it brass because the housing is brass and if you put in something like stainless, you run the risk of stripping out the treads very easily. There may be corrosion issues as well. I forget the torque spec but basically I just use a screwdriver and gently tighten them until I feel some resistence and stop as they don't need much as you found out.

bigmac
05-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, she was a little rough starting and ran rough for a minute or two, but after "blowing her out" she ran and started like a gem. I changed the oil and impeller, this is where i ran into some snags. The fitting on the end of the oil drain line leaks when it is under the boat, would like to replace, anyone done this? Also one of my brass bolts broke when putting the impeller plate back on, I didnt think i was being to hard on it, how tight do they need to be? I need a new bolt, does it have to be brass? Thanks in advance for any help!

Austin

I bought several extra of those brass bolts anticipating that problem. They're cheap, and available from SkiDim (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5005).

Kevin 89MC
05-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I bought 4 new ones at skidim also when I sheared one off a while ago. I was barely tightening it. I agree, stick with brass. I put a steel one in temporarily while I waited for my order (couldn't find them easily locally) and it started to corrode quickly. I bought 4 so I now have 3 spares. I put them on just slightly beyond finger tight. Haven't lost one yet.

Footin
05-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I replaced mine with stainless allen head's. i figure they come out in the fall and spring so corrosion should not be an issue. The allen heads are much easier to deal with.

DanC
05-08-2006, 09:50 PM
The fitting on the end of the oil drain line leaks when it is under the boat, would like to replace, anyone done this? ..... Thanks in advance for any help!

Austin

If it is leaking at the oil pan and hose fitting, good luck. I had mine worked on twice by the dealer, you have to lift the engine to get at it. It is a compression fitting, but they vary year to year.

If it is leaking at the end cap, it should be a simple matter of a washer or teflon tape.

JohnnyB
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
My 92 screwed into the oil pan. Got a replacment hose for my leaking one through SKIDIM. Installation was easy.