Wood grain dash is now black
Restored stringers
New wiring all wiring including all fuses holders/switches
Replaced engine
Wet sanded whole hull :) Looks much better
Replaced all "pin striping"
About to put new floor in and new carpeting

Here is where I need help.

The previous owner of the boat put in a new steering assembly and cable, I think. It might be stocků. on the stock one where can you lube it up?? Do I have to remove the cable?

Also, there is some connection on the 1.5 powerslot transmission that has 2 wires which go to where the Breaker is. It is pretty small. When I was taking the wires off the tiny bolt broke and now is stuck in the "thing" Here is a picture of what "thing" I am taking about.

http://www.shadetreevettes.com/images/brian/1499.jpg

What is it? Where can I get one? Even better do they make extremely small extractors????? HELP

brianaw26
05-07-2006, 10:51 PM
O yea I replaced the packing on the stuffing box.... When I tried to remove the old stuff I realized that there was none in it. I Have used the boat for a year wth no stuffing... LOL... no wonder I had all that water in the bilge.....

LOL :D

ski_king
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I think it is the neutral safety switch.

Can't start the boat unless it is in neutral.

Bruce Carr
05-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Definitely the neutral safety switch. You can get them at Discount Inboard Marine. You might try drilling out the screw and re-tapping the hole first.

i just replaced the steering cable on my '83. Neither the old cable or the new had a grease zerk. You can apply some grease to the ends of the cable but that's about it.

Jim@BAWS
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
The switch on the side is the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH
East to place just DO NO overtighten. You will need 3 pieces of
shaft packing.

How about some new GRAPHICS

Call us if we can be of help

Bay Area WaterSports Tampa (813) 996 2297
ca.baws@verizon.net

Jim

Long story short...

Took the engine out
Painted engine
Rebuilt carburetor
Restored swim platform
Wood grain dash is now black
Restored stringers
New wiring all wiring including all fuses holders/switches
Replaced engine
Wet sanded whole hull :) Looks much better
Replaced all "pin striping"
About to put new floor in and new carpeting

Here is where I need help.

The previous owner of the boat put in a new steering assembly and cable, I think. It might be stocků. on the stock one where can you lube it up?? Do I have to remove the cable?

Also, there is some connection on the 1.5 powerslot transmission that has 2 wires which go to where the Breaker is. It is pretty small. When I was taking the wires off the tiny bolt broke and now is stuck in the "thing" Here is a picture of what "thing" I am taking about.

http://www.shadetreevettes.com/images/brian/1499.jpg

What is it? Where can I get one? Even better do they make extremely small extractors????? HELP

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Definitely the neutral safety switch. You can get them at Discount Inboard Marine. You might try drilling out the screw and re-tapping the hole first.

i just replaced the steering cable on my '83. Neither the old cable or the new had a grease zerk. You can apply some grease to the ends of the cable but that's about it.
likewise when i replaced the original steering cable/assembly to Teleflex you just have to grease the shaft below gas tank and cable ends behind steering wheel...no zerk fitting could be found at all...

brianaw26
05-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I just ordered a new neutral safety switch. Thanks for the help.

Who makes a steering cable w/o a zerk???? :confused:

I guess it might be time for a new cable.... I guess I could live with it for a couple months... O well.... If I detach the cable and try to grease it, do I just rub grease on the end of it?? I guess I need a little help here.

Thanks

88 PS190
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
extend the cable all the way out and clean the exposed area
then regrease it, and run it back in.