PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet 1/2 ton?

6ballsisall
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Settlement on our Durango is very near and we have some decisions to make on a new vehicle. I am looking at both the 1/2 Fords and the 1/2 ton Chevy/GM trucks. I am pretty familiar with the Fords as I used to have one. I am not a real Chevrolet styling lover but right now they have some pretty smokin deals on 1/2 tons in my area. For those that have a newer 5,3 liter Chevrolet truck how do you like it? Does it tow your MC well? What kind of empty fuel mileage are you getting? Any problems with the truck drivetrain or other?

bigmac
05-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Settlement on our Durango is very near and we have some decisions to make on a new vehicle. I am looking at both the 1/2 Fords and the 1/2 ton Chevy/GM trucks. I am pretty familiar with the Fords as I used to have one. I am not a real Chevrolet styling lover but right now they have some pretty smokin deals on 1/2 tons in my area. For those that have a newer 5,3 liter Chevrolet truck how do you like it? Does it tow your MC well? What kind of empty fuel mileage are you getting? Any problems with the truck drivetrain or other?My son's '99 Silverado w/ 5.3 has almost 150,000 miles on it. He's done brakes twice and blew the rear-end (Eaton locking differential) once at about 90,000. There was also a problem with driveline seals on those earlier GM trucks, but not since, apparently. Other than that, no problems. Great vehicle. My 3/4 ton Denali pickup with 6.0 liter and 4 wheel steering has been flawless (intermediate steering shaft replaced on recall), and is a fantastic tow vehicle, but the mileage sucks - about 14 mpg average over its life.

The braking systems have been upgraded since 99, I'm told. I don't know about the boat trailer, but it's hauled a 7500 GW lb horse trailer for fairly long distances without a problem. Gas mileage is about 17-20 (non-towing). He has a K&N intake kit on it and has reprogrammed it with a HyperTech.

My experience with several GM pickups and Yukons has been excellent.

Cloaked
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Jeff, personally, I'd consider the 4 door 1500HD. The 5.3 will do you just fine. I am pleased with my 2500 HD GMC, which you have seen. They all now host 4 wheel disc brakes...'nuff said. That is a very nice feature for the trucks. I do not think you would be disappointed with the GM product.

Footin
05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey Jeff, I have been looking at the extended cab 2wd chevy for a few months now. I want one with very few options as they standerdly have most creature comforts. If you look at an 03 to 05 you can get them very reasonable (between 15 and 20k). i would not be afraid of the 4.8 liter either, better gas milage and a little cheaper and the towing capacity is still around 6k.

If you are looking at new ones, don't forget the 07's will be out soon and the 06's and older will go down in value quickly. This does not matter if you plan to keep it along time. but if you turn them every few years I would wait for the 07 models to hit the floors.

Cloaked
05-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Body style changes in 07 also.... For what that is worth.

Footin
05-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Sporty, I just tried to call your cell, no answer.....end of thread jack.

6ballsisall
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Good to know about body change. Thats how I got a smokin deal on my Ram in late 2002 (new body just coming out then for 03 model)

I am all about getting the best deal and frankly dont give a rats butt if I have the newest truck body. I just got done reading an article in todays paper saying analysts are predicting increased incentives and rebates as we go into the summer months., Apparently GM (and others but mainly GM) continue to build more vehicles than there is demand. I can get a 1/2 ton for 10.5k off sticker right now. That would be the shiznit if I could get 15k off sticker! :firejump:

Cloaked
05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Sporty, I just tried to call your cell, no answer.....end of thread jack.I had left it in the truck.... :D
Sorry to have missed your call. Try me tmorrow anything after 6AM please, or I'll ring your phone...

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-07-2006, 10:20 PM
If your not to hip on the Chevy styling, have you looked at the GMC version? There are some nice differences b/w the 2 brands (we prefer GMC grill). Maybe you'll get the styling you like with the same kind of deal?
FWIW...we have a 1/2ton 2000 Yukon XL (5.3l). After some headaches (mostly recall fixed) it's been a good tow vehicle (coming from a Ford fan). It's got almost 110K and still going strong!
Anyway...thought I'd throw out the GMC suggestion.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Jeff, You getting new?

I have to say, I like the 07 avalanche alot, more than any other version previous. I posted some pics in the chicago auto show thread I started of the new body styles. And there was some new Yukon pics in the Chicago Boat show thread I started as well.
The '07's GMs can be run on E85 in which I am a fan. Hope to be able to run that myself in the not so distant future.
Although, I am hearing the next generation Ford's will be able to run Hydrogen. So if we don't get an 07 Chevy/GMC, I am really anxious to see if GM with E85 will force Ford to run Nitrogen sooner than expected.
Same goes with some GMs like Hummers, SUVs and pickups.

Datdude
05-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Jeff, You getting new?

I have to say, I like the 07 avalanche alot, more than any other version previous. I posted some pics in the chicago auto show thread I started of the new body styles. And there was some new Yukon pics in the Chicago Boat show thread I started as well.
The '07's GMs can be run on E85 in which I am a fan. Hope to be able to run that myself in the not so distant future.
Although, I am hearing the next generation Ford's will be able to run Hydrogen. So if we don't get an 07 Chevy/GMC, I am really anxious to see if GM with E85 will force Ford to run Nitrogen sooner than expected.
Same goes with some GMs like Hummers, SUVs and pickups.

Speaking of E-85.....I drove by a gas station in Central Wisconsin today and they had E-85 at $1.99 per gallon. Regular 87 octane was $2.96!!! I have not seen E-85 anywhere else and was amazed that it was basically $1.00 per gallon less. I wish I could find biodiesel at those prices! Threadjack over

I do not think you would be disappointed with a Chev 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4. I personally like the looks of the GMC front, but to each his own

ajgressette
05-08-2006, 04:12 AM
Settlement on our Durango is very near and we have some decisions to make on a new vehicle. I am looking at both the 1/2 Fords and the 1/2 ton Chevy/GM trucks. I am pretty familiar with the Fords as I used to have one. I am not a real Chevrolet styling lover but right now they have some pretty smokin deals on 1/2 tons in my area. For those that have a newer 5,3 liter Chevrolet truck how do you like it? Does it tow your MC well? What kind of empty fuel mileage are you getting? Any problems with the truck drivetrain or other?

See if you can find one with the pos. traction rearend. They tow a little better in my opinion. I have a 02 GMC 2door ex cab w/5.3L. 90K miles and no problems yet. I haul things a lot heavier than that boat.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
05-08-2006, 07:36 AM
look at late model used. There are great deals out their because people are bailing out. They are fed up with the 70.00 fill ups. Right now you are looking at 11-12K off sticker for new.

mtrask
05-08-2006, 07:44 AM
"99" 5.3 Liter 1500 was excellent to me.. 165,000miles no engine troubles--sold to another party-friend of mine--still running great. Pulls great with tow haul mode--great creature features--easy to use. Mileage better than 15 around town Less than 18 on the highway. Varying with towning obviously.

Good Luck

BrianM
05-08-2006, 08:19 AM
I have an '03 2wd Ex Cab GMC with the 5.3. Has been a great truck. 85k miles on it still on the same OEM brakes it and the only problem I have had was a fuel tank sending unit that was replaced under warranty. I get about 15mpg around town and 20 mph on the highway. I average 18.5mpg in combined driving. of about 70% highway 30% in town. 12mpg towing my Prostar 80mph on the highway. Plenty of power. Get the locking rear end which is great on the ramps.

Drove a new Ford truck with the 5.4 and it felt like a dog compared to mine. The 5.4 just doesn't have the grunt.

Also just before I left on vacation I drove a new '07 Avalanche. All I can say is Wow! Very nice truck. I plan on buying one as soon as they throw some rebates on it which should be soon.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-08-2006, 08:52 AM
We see the intermediate steering shaft problem alot here at the dealership. Its a very common occurance. GM was slow to do anything about it. The brakes are common too. They went back to rear drum brakes in 2005 on the half tons. I think they got tired of paying the warranty claims, so they redesigned. Kind of going backwards I guess. See, I submit warranty claims for our dealership, so I see ALL the bad, so I have a biased view I guess. I am sure all the other manufactures have their issues with their products too, so I am no only bashing GM. I saw similar things at Fomoco, when I worked at a dealership. The auto companies are ssllllooooooowwwwwww to find a fix anything unless they think its gonna be a safety/legal problem. This is part of the reason I get upset with domestic auto makers. I have worked in a Ford and GM dealer, and seen the way the corporations handle things. I have seen enough of Chrysler corp products in my 11 years in the business that I can see where they stand too, even though I havent worked for a franchised dealer.

Northern Lights, where are they selling GM trucks for 12K off sticker? :confused: I wanna see that!!! thats a bit over the edge. You got some links to ads or something?? With the current rebates, I cant see how a dealer can do that, unless its the old "bait and switch" ad trick that the sleazy a$$ dealers use to get people through the door, and then stick it to em on something else and then load them up with all the highprofit $hit in the finance department. :noface:

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Northern Lights, where are they selling GM trucks for 12K off sticker? :confused: I wanna see that!!! thats a bit over the edge. You got some links to ads or something?? With the current rebates, I cant see how a dealer can do that, unless its the old "bait and switch" ad trick that the sleazy a$$ dealers use to get people through the door, and then stick it to em on something else and then load them up with all the highprofit $hit in the finance department. :noface:

I have an ad from this weekend about 10,500 off of 1/2 tons. I called on it and asked for the details. It was on Ext. Cabs only, not crew cabs. I am cool with that myself. We have the Jeep if we need to go on long trips with more people. I just miss the utility of having a pickup bed (for my every Saturday trip to Lowes :rolleyes: )

About every dealer around here is doing 10k off ANY F150 in stock.

Ric
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
jr I have not read all the responses so this is a drive by response(pardon the pun)

if you want an economical half ton then the chevy half ton crew is a good truck but for towing I believe they leave alot to be desired.... when I bought the 05, I drove the z71 half ton crew thinking that I could live with the little cargo bed... what I learned was the little motor and the 3.42:1 gearing just won't work for towing a boat a couple of times a week and towing trailers for work occasionally...

IF you want a half ton chevy that will tow without question, get the 1500hd.

I cannot speak for the fords, as you know I don't like them but I don't know if their half ton is scaled back like the gm's or not...

Workin' 4 Toys
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I have an ad from this weekend about 10,500 off of 1/2 tons. I called on it and asked for the details. It was on Ext. Cabs only, not crew cabs. I am cool with that myself. We have the Jeep if we need to go on long trips with more people. I just miss the utility of having a pickup bed (for my every Saturday trip to Lowes :rolleyes: )

About every dealer around here is doing 10k off ANY F150 in stock.
The crew cab won't leave you wanting more space, the ext. cab may....

OhioProstar
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Jeff,
I have a '03 Z71 with 45k miles and love it. No problems. Rides better IMHO than the Ford and Dodge. We have the same boat and trailer configuration and I will say that you will not even feel the trailer behind you. I had a tire go heading home two years ago from Cumberland and only noticed the blow out because I routinely check my mirrors. Since I have the little one it would be nice to have the four door option, so I would go that route if you don't mind a shorter bed. I get around 17-18 on the Highway and 13-14 towing. That is with 285/75/16 BFGs. PM me if you want to drive mine for a weekend.

Ric,
I don't know what "scaled down" version you drove, but mine has a 3.73 and I have towed very large loads (7k Baja) without much problem. You can even get a 6.2HO in the Z71 now. I agree regarding the crew cab.

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info and the offer OhioP!!! :toast:

You coming to MM2?

OhioProstar
05-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I wish I could but our Presidents Club trip to Reynolds Plantation for golf starts next Friday and runs the weekend.

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I wish I could but our Presidents Club trip to Reynolds Plantation for golf starts next Friday and runs the weekend.
How about the second MM2?

OhioProstar
05-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe, with our baby it has been hard to get away. Especially two weekends in a row. I would like to make one this year.

Ric
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Jeff,
I have a '03 Z71 with 45k miles and love it. No problems. Rides better IMHO than the Ford and Dodge. We have the same boat and trailer configuration and I will say that you will not even feel the trailer behind you. I had a tire go heading home two years ago from Cumberland and only noticed the blow out because I routinely check my mirrors. Since I have the little one it would be nice to have the four door option, so I would go that route if you don't mind a shorter bed. I get around 17-18 on the Highway and 13-14 towing. That is with 285/75/16 BFGs. PM me if you want to drive mine for a weekend.

Ric,
I don't know what "scaled down" version you drove, but mine has a 3.73 and I have towed very large loads (7k Baja) without much problem. You can even get a 6.2HO in the Z71 now. I agree regarding the crew cab.
I should have been more clear, I know
I test drove a 2005 z71 crew cab which ONLY is available in 5.3L 3.42 or you could order it with a 4.10 gear NO 3.73 available. My thinking is that GM was shooting for an economical "truck" and they are correct, because it is selling
My thinking was that you could get a setup like in your '03 with that crew cab and I assumed that'd be a great setup.. not so
nobody told me of a 6.2 HO option but maybe that is for an SS setup or something and not a z71 with a tow package? I dont know
pound for pound, if you want a crew cab chevy and tow your boat without issue going or stopping, go with the 1500HD because it is setup with the 6.0L and 3.73 setup standard
I'm on my second one now and it's perfect for 6 people in the cab, filled with camping gear and a prostar in tow :steering:

Ric
05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
oh and scaled down means a shortie cargo box and a highway gear and a lesser towing capacity than most likely your 03 Z

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
JFTR, the HO truck your talking about has a 6.0L its called the "Vortec Max" truck. Sucks fuel like a dragster. good towing though. Its not the "SS" which is the "intimidator" truck. :rolleyes: thats only 2 wheel drive.

Also, the new 1500's have 3.42 ratios as they keep upping the horsepower and want to keep the epa ratings good, so they keep lowering the gear ratios. 3.73 no longer available. :(

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Everything I read says the 6.0 liter trucks uses as much or more fuel than the 8.1 liter does. My Dad had the first year of the 6.0 liter and it was ok. He then traded it in on an 8.1 liter.......MUCH BETTER :D

He now drives a Cummins Dodge. :rolleyes:

Ric
05-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Everything I read says the 6.0 liter trucks uses as much or more fuel than the 8.1 liter does. My Dad had the first year of the 6.0 liter and it was ok. He then traded it in on an 8.1 liter.......MUCH BETTER :D

He now drives a Cummins Dodge. :rolleyes:
well if you liked the 8.1, you won't like the 3.42 / 5.3 setup :noface:

Ric
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
JFTR, the HO truck your talking about has a 6.0L its called the "Vortec Max" truck. Sucks fuel like a dragster. good towing though. Its not the "SS" which is the "intimidator" truck. :rolleyes: thats only 2 wheel drive.

Also, the new 1500's have 3.42 ratios as they keep upping the horsepower and want to keep the epa ratings good, so they keep lowering the gear ratios. 3.73 no longer available. :(
ahh but you can get the 3.73 if you get the 1500HD, that is my point that I am so unable to make :cool:

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Don't the new Fords come with 3.73 standard. They have for at least the last couple of years.

6ballsisall
05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
well if you liked the 8.1, you won't like the 3.42 / 5.3 setup :noface:

THe 8.1 was nice but WAY overkill for what I ever want to do. I don't need a gas hog, I don't pull anything heavier than my boat. Maybe someday I'll have a slide in camper (popup) and will pull the boat. Even so, I'd do that once or twice a year. Hence no need for a 3/4 ton or larger

Ric
05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
buddy of mine called last week for my "opinion" on whether he needed 1500hd or 2500hd (the only two choices) as they pull a bumper hitch camper with a 7800lb gross... I told him he didnt need the 2500hd as it comes standard with the same motor & transmission as the 1500hd.. of course he bought the 2500 6.0L with 4.10gears... I asked him, just what the hell did you call me for anyway :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Incentives are increasing! 11k off to be had on 1/2 tons now. :firejump: Looking forward to that settlement check! Think I'll be going shopping ;)

Footin
05-13-2006, 10:44 PM
A friend of mine just got a new 06 Silverado extended cab, no options for 17k.

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 10:45 PM
A friend of mine just got a new 06 Silverado extended cab, no options for 17k.

Is it 4x4?

Footin
05-13-2006, 10:50 PM
No, 5.3 2wd

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 10:53 PM
No, 5.3 2wd

Still the same, thats a great price for a brand new truck. I am hoping to end up with a LT model w/ leather & 4x4 for around 21-22k.

Footin
05-13-2006, 10:57 PM
A new one? Where did you find this?

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 10:59 PM
A new one? Where did you find this?
Yep, new
Several Chevy dealers down here. Mike Castrucci, I'll have to look at the ads again, there are a few more just don't remember their names.

Footin
05-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Good deal......why flying in stealth mode?

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Good deal......why flying in stealth mode?

Don't know, sounded like fun :confused: :guitar:

Footin
05-13-2006, 11:04 PM
You tradin in the Durango? I am sure you will miss that piece.

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
You tradin in the Durango? I am sure you will miss that piece.

Not sure yet. Final details of settlement are up in the air on that yet. Should know soon. Miss it??? Oh yeah, lots :rolleyes:

erkoehler
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Not sure yet. Final details of settlement are up in the air on that yet. Should know soon. Miss it??? Oh yeah, lots :rolleyes:

Can I get your lawyers number :mad:

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Can I get your lawyers number :mad:

www.consumerlawcenter.com

erkoehler
05-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Do they charge you, or is it all included in the lawyer fees that are charged to the car company/

6ballsisall
05-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Do they charge you, or is it all included in the lawyer fees that are charged to the car company/

I didn't pay them a dime directly. From my limited understanding it varies from state to state on the liabilities.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Still the same, thats a great price for a brand new truck. I am hoping to end up with a LT model w/ leather & 4x4 for around 21-22k.
Sounds great, extended or crew?

6ballsisall
05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Sounds great, extended or crew?

Extended Cab

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Crew..... ;)

Ric
05-14-2006, 12:50 PM
jr, are the gearing options different with the5.3 in an extended cab 1500 as opposed to the crew.
(this question sounds alot like my repetetive prop questioning of jr samples over there on the great deal thread doesn't it?)

6ballsisall
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM
jr, are the gearing options different with the5.3 in an extended cab 1500 as opposed to the crew.
(this question sounds alot like my repetetive prop questioning of jr samples over there on the great deal thread doesn't it?)

I don't remember Ric. The ones I am looking at are the z71 trucks. For some reason I thought a few of them 4.10's but would check before buying. I'd like a Crew cab but they are quite a bit more $$ and frankly as much as I'd like one I don't need it. For long road trips we have the wifes Jeep GC which pulls the boat very well. (V8 model)

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
The extended cabs are not that bad in the back....Rockman has a 2500 series extended cab, and I have been in the back seat going to/from WI and it isn't all that small. Obviously not overly roomy, but definetly doable.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I need a 6 foot bed far worse than I need a big back seat. It's the reason I'll be looking at non-Denali GMC extended-cab pickups, as well as the Nissan Titan.

Ric
05-14-2006, 01:58 PM
I need a 6 foot bed far worse than I need a big back seat. It's the reason I'll be looking at non-Denali GMC extended-cab pickups, as well as the Nissan Titan.
I'm with ya, but you can have both as long as you don't bite on the new z71crew

Tom023
05-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Bigmac, if you are going to look at the Titan, you may want to take a look the new Tundra (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/09/chicago-auto-show-toyota-goes-big-with-new-tundra/). Better quality than the Titan as Nissan struggles with quality issues.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Bigmac, if you are going to look at the Titan, you may want to take a look the new Tundra (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/09/chicago-auto-show-toyota-goes-big-with-new-tundra/). Better quality than the Titan as Nissan struggles with quality issues.All things being equal, a Tundra would be my first choice. The local Toyota dealer is a putz, though...

...also, wasn't thrilled with the seating comfort in the Tundra, and I'm concerned about its reported relative lack of towing capacity.

Cloaked
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
My 2500 diesel crew has a 3.73:1..... That's what I'd prefer for any application.

Extended cabs are fine. Crews (for not much more $$) are even finer.... I'll never go back to anything less for cab space and convenience.

bigmac
05-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Extended cabs are fine. Crews (for not much more $$) are even finer.... I'll never go back to anything less for cab space and convenience.

I see that crew cabs are wildly popular these days, so my needs must be outside the norm. I confess I thought that crew cabs were only ever going to be a niche product.

I had always thought that if I wanted to haul cargo, I'd get a pickup truck and maybe be lucky to squeeze a couple of extra people in. It seems to me that the market has gone to crew cab pickups, good for hauling people and the owner would maybe be lucky to squeeze a little cargo in. Personally, if I wanted to haul a lot of people and a little cargo, I'd get a Yukon or Yukon XL.

Tom023
05-14-2006, 04:45 PM
All things being equal, a Tundra would be my first choice. The local Toyota dealer is a putz, though...

...also, wasn't thrilled with the seating comfort in the Tundra, and I'm concerned about its reported relative lack of towing capacity.

The 2007 Tundra is all new with a 10,000# rating and a 5.7L engine. Overall the truck is bigger. Maybe worth a look.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I see that crew cabs are wildly popular these days, so my needs must be outside the norm. I confess I thought that crew cabs were only ever going to be a niche product.

I had always thought that if I wanted to haul cargo, I'd get a pickup truck and maybe be lucky to squeeze a couple of extra people in. It seems to me that the market has gone to crew cab pickups, good for hauling people and the owner would maybe be lucky to squeeze a little cargo in. Personally, if I wanted to haul a lot of people and a little cargo, I'd get a Yukon or Yukon XL.
Yes, And I'd like to see a YUKON with a 6' bed.......;)

bigmac
05-15-2006, 08:18 AM
The 2007 Tundra is all new with a 10,000# rating and a 5.7L engine. Overall the truck is bigger. Maybe worth a look.

I need this thing in July - are the 2007 Tundras available yet?

DooSPX
05-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I have an 04 GMC Sierra 2WD ECSB 5.3 w/ 3.73 Eaton Locking Diff.
I love it... it pulls like a dream, and when not towing I can get 24 on the highway at 65-70
in town i get about 16
mine is fully loaded, bose system, xm, onstar, etc
I love it, and will not trade it unless for a duramax

I have pulled, all my boats including a pontoon boat, I pull car trailers alot.... (We race)

zberger
05-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Good buddy of mine has an 02 with 104,000 miles.. zero issues cept for a intermediate steering shaft issue. truck has ecu repro, headers, intake exhaust. gets about 16 in the city or so, but gets closer to 19 on the interstate. he was blessed with piston slap, but that motor has towed everything under the sun, and it still works great.

Roomie has a 05, gets about the same.. but 16 on the interstate.. and basically 15 in the city after its all said and done.

I've never seen a newer gen chevy pickup thats had issues..

twieder
05-15-2006, 10:22 AM
We've got an '06 GMC 1500 crew cab Z71 with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears. It is the absoute WORST tow vehicle I've ever driven!

I towed our boat back to dealer a couple of weeks ago at alittle over 100 mi each way. Only got 10.2 mpg towing and it was the roughest ride of my life.Every bump in the road, the truck would bounce jerk and shudder 3 or 4 times! Good thing we only lease and I've only got 21 mos. before it's gone!

I even talked to my brother-in-law (parts manager at the dealership) and he told me it was 'normal' for these trucks to lunge as they are glorified cars!

Funny thing is our last vehicle was an 02 Durango and it handeled the boat like a dream!

We've already decided our next vehicle will be a 2500 Dodge Mega cab with a Cummins! If ya want a "truck" don't buy a car! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
I towed our boat back to dealer a couple of weeks ago at alittle over 100 mi each way. Only got 10.2 mpg towing and it was the roughest ride of my life.Every bump in the road, the truck would bounce jerk and shudder 3 or 4 times!
Release the emergency brake.... That might help....:rolleyes:

twieder
05-15-2006, 10:37 AM

Har de Har They still put those things on vehicles? :confused:

6ballsisall
05-15-2006, 10:38 AM

LOL!! :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Har de Har They still put those things on vehicles? :confused:
Some might call them parking brakes, but the way you use them, I'd call it an emergency.....8p

twieder
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Now i got it! It's the "OH S#@!#" peddal located on the left by the kick pannel..... Let me check it out quick... Yup still there!

DooSPX
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
We've got an '06 GMC 1500 crew cab Z71 with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears. It is the absoute WORST tow vehicle I've ever driven!

I towed our boat back to dealer a couple of weeks ago at alittle over 100 mi each way. Only got 10.2 mpg towing and it was the roughest ride of my life.Every bump in the road, the truck would bounce jerk and shudder 3 or 4 times! Good thing we only lease and I've only got 21 mos. before it's gone!

I even talked to my brother-in-law (parts manager at the dealership) and he told me it was 'normal' for these trucks to lunge as they are glorified cars!

Funny thing is our last vehicle was an 02 Durango and it handeled the boat like a dream!

We've already decided our next vehicle will be a 2500 Dodge Mega cab with a Cummins! If ya want a "truck" don't buy a car! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

well, dont know about the Z71... but with my 2WD 3.73:1 Eaton Locker Towing Package, i love the way it tows.... it only jerks/shudders on BIG bumps or dips
2WD always tow better than 4WD, w/ more towing cap.
i bought mine to hual cars it works great... towed anything from a 3800lb TSM GN to a 3600 trans am... i big pontoon boat....

twieder
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Maybe we got a lemon, but this one experiance turned me back aginst GM again! What ever happened to actually building a truck instead of a glorified car? thats what minivans are for!

Ric
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
this is why I say 1500HD is THE TICKET
6.0L 8600gvr, 3.73:1 gear....
I test-drove a truck like twieder's and knew it was not a tow vehicle

shame on you GM... shame :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Maybe we got a lemon, but this one experiance turned me back aginst GM again! What ever happened to actually building a truck instead of a glorified car? thats what minivans are for!
I blame the IFS!!!! I am not a fan on independant suspensions in trucks.
On the flip side,
I actually like the way my Yukon tows, no problems. I hate to compare it to the F250 P'stroke because they are two different animals. But I would buy either one again without even having to think about it.
I can't wait until I can get my hands on an '07 or '08 GMC.

OhioProstar
05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
What ever happened to actually building a truck instead of a glorified car? thats what minivans are for!

I haven't had anyone compare this to a car before:

Ric
05-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I haven't had anyone compare this to a car before:
I told you this earlier, but your 03 is not what he is comparing to a car
in fact, your extended cab is not what he is comparing to a car.
it's this new half ton crew platform which is not available in a setup like yours (ie: 3.73 gearing)

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Thats a great lookin truck Ohioprostar! :headbang:

Ric
05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Thats a great lookin truck Ohioprostar! :headbang:
VERY !

OhioProstar
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks...
I guess I just don't understand. If you need more a$$ can't you just drop a new R&P in. Can't be more than a couple hundred.