PDA

View Full Version : Boat slip

ridehype4life
05-07-2006, 04:21 PM
We're going to be keeping the new boat (black X-1) in a slip this summer. Do you have and pointers or advice from past experiences that you could share with me regarding boat slips?
Thanks for your help

Sodar
05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
With a black hull, I would recommend terry cloth fender covers as well as pulling the boat out every so often to give it a good cleaning and waxing. I am sure there are more pointers to come!

Leroy
05-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Is it covered also? On a lift? I would be careful leaving in the water because of blisters.

Have a good padded entry way.
Have a nice cushion where the bow would touch.
Vinegar and water wipe down each time you come out.
Have an owl that you can hang above the boat to scare away birds.
Keep the bilge on auto.
Get a teak cover, if you have teak.

If I think of more will add!

bigmac
05-07-2006, 05:26 PM
We're going to be keeping the new boat (black X-1) in a slip this summer. Do you have and pointers or advice from past experiences that you could share with me regarding boat slips?
Thanks for your help

Note that MasterCraft recommends against this and their warranty states that it doesn't cover hull blistering from being stored in the water unless the bottom of the boat is painted with an anti-fouling paint.

ridehype4life
05-07-2006, 06:44 PM
It really is my only realistic option to keep it in the slip, which is not covered. It would, though, not stay in the water ALL summer. As a rough estimate cycle I say about 2-3 weeks in the slip, 1 week out of the water.

Leroy - What is it and where can I get my hands on a teak cover?
Tower speaker covers?

Thanks guys.

quincyfirefighter
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Theses two companys come to mind. www.screaminsacs.com and www.speakersox.com :D

stevo137
05-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Where is the slip? How is the water quality?

rabooze
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Wish I had known about the speaker covers before now. One year and mine look like crap.

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Theses two companys come to mind. www.screaminsacs.com and www.speakersox.com :D
teak platform covers are expensive, but if they protect from harmful UV rays...well worth the investment!!!are there any other teak platform covers out there???surprised MC doesn't offer these as an option...

Teak Deck Cover
Price:$69.95
Shipping: $7.95

ridehype4life
05-08-2006, 04:51 PM
The slip is up in northern MI, at the Harborage Marina. It is very well protected, the water quality is very good, and the boat definately will not sit still in the slip for long periods of time :D .

Thanks for those links, I will probably order some speaker covers and maybe the teak cover.

Does anybody know if the dimensions of the standard JL speakers are the same as the JL's with the integrated lights? I have the ones with the lights and just want to make sure the covers would fit.

Thanks guys

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I've been keeping my boat at a couple different places on the lake in WA. The best thing I can tell you is to not keep anything in the boat that is easily removed....... because if you don't remove it, someone else will.
I mounted my tower speakers on quick release brackets that were available from Wakeside Rides & we pull them everyday. Boards, ropes, vests, etc. all get pulled.
Also, get yourself a good Sunbrella cover that goes down over the gunnels & doesn't allow standing water to pool up on the cover. The Sunbrella doesn't fade & allows the inside of the boat to breathe, which will not promote mold & mildew inside. If the cover goes down over the gunnels, it's protecting the glass so it'll be clean when you want to go ride. And if it covers the boat vents, it'll keep the bugs out of your boat.
And pull the boat every couple weeks to clean it up & inspect things. Starbrite makes a good hull cleaner to get that scum line off the hull.
And enjoy!!

El Jeffe
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I store mine on a lift..under a roof...

Still thinking i need to cover it.

Question - How do you keep teh cover from blowing off?

I've been keeping my boat at a couple different places on the lake in WA. The best thing I can tell you is to not keep anything in the boat that is easily removed....... because if you don't remove it, someone else will.
I mounted my tower speakers on quick release brackets that were available from Wakeside Rides & we pull them everyday. Boards, ropes, vests, etc. all get pulled.
Also, get yourself a good Sunbrella cover that goes down over the gunnels & doesn't allow standing water to pool up on the cover. The Sunbrella doesn't fade & allows the inside of the boat to breathe, which will not promote mold & mildew inside. If the cover goes down over the gunnels, it's protecting the glass so it'll be clean when you want to go ride. And if it covers the boat vents, it'll keep the bugs out of your boat.
And pull the boat every couple weeks to clean it up & inspect things. Starbrite makes a good hull cleaner to get that scum line off the hull.
And enjoy!!

stevo137
05-08-2006, 07:59 PM
eh, nevermind...

skitilldark
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Where do you find terry cloth bumpers? that's a fabulous idea. I'm so tired of those tiny scratches.

erkoehler
05-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Mastercraft makes fender covers, and they're in the pro shop. Not sure if they are terry cloth.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Looks like Buoychaser covered the teak cover question! I looked at getting a custom addition to my boat cover that would also cover the teak, but is similar price.

Ask the local dealer what he thinks, if blisters or scum build up is a problem I'm sure he will know about it.

ridehype4life
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys!

One final question - Are the JL tower speakers/cans with the integrated forward lights the same size as the standard tower speakers? I am going to order some covers off screaminsacs.com and want to be positive on the fit.

quincyfirefighter
05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Thanks guys!

One final question - Are the JL tower speakers/cans with the integrated forward lights the same size as the standard tower speakers? I am going to order some covers off screaminsacs.com and want to be positive on the fit.
I would give them a call and let them know what your got to be sure on the fit ;)

michael freeman
05-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys!

Yes they are the same size.