PDA

View Full Version : Installation of depth sounder

timjpeterson
05-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Can someone tell me how I run the transducer cord through the floor and then up to the dash where I can hook it up to the hummingbird unit?

Thanks,

Auger

JohnnyB
05-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Auger,

On my 92 I removed the floor panel in front of the motor box. There were two ducts carrying wiring from behind the dash into the floor and you could access them there.

When I get a chance, I'll go out into the garage and look at my 04 197 and see how it is run in mine.....

timjpeterson
05-07-2006, 04:54 PM
My boat is an '03 and I think the floor is integrated into the boat. I didn't see any panels that I could remove, but I'll take another look.

Thanks,

Auger

JohnnyB
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Auger,

Briefly looked at my 04 Prostar and it looks like there is a wire duct running forward from the driver side of the engine compartment. It also looks like there is a kick-panel that you could unscrew below the dash.....just my observation.....I have never opened up that panel.

My guess is the duct probably runs under the floor from the engine compartment to the kick panel.

Let me know what you find.

Adding my stereo isn't in the budget until I sell my 92 but eventually I'll be running wires for that and understanding where the ducts are is helpful.

Maybe others will chime in and help you out, too.

DanC
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Yep, what Johnny said.
Pull the driver's side bow cushion and look at the back side of the driver's kick panel. You should see/feel the wires coming from the motor compartment. Use an electrician's tape and plenty of lube. I would pull a spare string through the conduit because you will be adding more wires to this path over the years (stereo, PP, heater, lights...)

bobbyB
05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
If you're firm on the idea of running the wires under the floor, it'll be alot of work. If you're open to other ideas, then run the wires on the underside of the driverside gunnels. If you lay on the floor and look up the side storage compartment, you'll see that other wiring runs along there. It was very easy to Zip-tie the wire to the existing. The added bonus is that the wire comes out right at dash level. Running the wire was the easy part. Drilling that hole in the transom......well :eek3: Remember- if you don't have those special fiberglass drill bits then a regular bit run in reverse works just fine. Just gave me the willies drillin a hole in my boat.

B

Ric
05-08-2006, 12:28 PM
there is ducting from the motor box to the area behind the footrest on the driver's side
get a fish tape or use a coathanger and feed it up from the bilge area. follow the steering cable or shifter cable if you're in doubt...

food for thought, I installed the humminbird transdeucer in my 190 and it worked fine... after installing perfect pass with paddlewheel, I noticed my humminbird never worked properly ever again... I think the 2 transdeucers running next to one another through the floor duct caused some interference...

edit, yes, you will have to unscrew that kick panel where the breakers and sub are mounted in order to have access to the ducting topside...