PDA

View Full Version : x9 performance

Life is Good!
05-07-2006, 09:22 AM
just bought my first mastercraft! a 2005 x9. was just wondering why i dont here more about people slalom skiing behind this boat. I have a wife and 3 boys that all love to ski plus the the boys love to wake board. I came from a 03 centurion lapoint and although the wake was a little flatter the x9 a.k.a. 209 for its size has an amazing slalom wake and a very good wakeboarding wake. I also tested a nautique 216 team and a mb sports 220 sport and the x9 was clearly the better overall boat. The only change I have made to the boat is a acme 3 blade 13x11.5 prop, what a difference! A rocket hole shot and better top end. To make a long story short, just trying to get more kudos for in my humble opinion, the perfect all around boat! :( :) ;)

bigmac
05-07-2006, 09:43 AM
just bought my first mastercraft! a 2005 x9. was just wondering why i dont here more about people slalom skiing behind this boat. I have a wife and 3 boys that all love to ski plus the the boys love to wake board. I came from a 03 centurion lapoint and although the wake was a little flatter the x9 a.k.a. 209 for its size has an amazing slalom wake and a very good wakeboarding wake. I also tested a nautique 216 team and a mb sports 220 sport and the x9 was clearly the better overall boat. The only change I have made to the boat is a acme 3 blade 13x11.5 prop, what a difference! A rocket hole shot and better top end. To make a long story short, just trying to get more kudos for in my humble opinion, the perfect all around boat! :( :) ;)Personally, I perceive the X-9 as the ideal boat for those who don't care about interior space and want the best compromise only between wakeboarding and slalom skiing. I think the best compromise between slalom, wakeboard, and general cruising is the V-drives.

The X-9 is a great boat, but for those of us who are cruisers, foilers, wakeboarders and tubers and don't care much about slalom skiing, that engine hump takes up too much space in the middle of the dance floor.

Life is Good!
05-07-2006, 09:59 AM
you are correct. let me say the perfect overall direct drive. I have never cared for the v drives myself but do see there fit in the market and feel they are great boats! :toast:

stevo137
05-07-2006, 10:06 AM
that engine hump takes up too much space in the middle of the dance floor.
Mac, that hump works great as a table for holding the pizza! 8p

Life is Good, congrats and welcome! :wavey:

Tom023
05-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Great boat choice! I pretty much have all the water toys and would rather be using an X9 than my X30, but I boat on some pretty big water and needed something that would better handle rough water, and I needed the added storage the v-drive gives me for all my stuff while out on the lake. I found the X9 to be exceptionally roomy even with the DD configuration, you should be very happy.

Life is Good!
05-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, i have only taken a couple sets behind the boat so far, but i am very pleased, not to mention the wife and kids absolutely love the boat! Glad to be part of the team! :banana:

6ballsisall
05-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Glad you like it! I have to say I think the 209 has lots of room inside. Mag's boat is a whole new world of space as compared to a little tug like mine.

bigmac
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Mac, that hump works great as a table for holding the pizza! 8p

Now, if it could double as a pizza oven, THAT would be another reason to get the X-9

east tx skier
05-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Life is Good, welcome. All sorts of reasons why people choose the boats they do I suppose. I'm glad you found the best boat for you. Let's see lots of pictures!

88 PS190
05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
If we didn't have an I/O runabout to pull tubing, and carry people all over the lake, then the 190 would not be as ideal as it is now.

peason
05-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I agreed - I have a 209 with a tower and love it. I got a great deal on my boat when I bought it - it was a brand new at a dealer but a year old. I really like the wake for both slalom and wakeboard. It also manages to get my bigg A up to speed for a footin run. Great all around boat! Congrats.

sixysixss
05-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I just picked up my 2005 X9 today. We mostly ski, but wakeboard as well. We also figured that the kids would wakeboard more as they got older. I skied behind the X2 but did not like the ski wake at all. It gave a pretty good launch at the lip. Also tried the X7, which was awesome for sking, but didn't have the room that we wanted. The X9 seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

fskof
05-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a 209 with tower and love it. It has alot of room for all of my ski gear and has more interior room then a v-drive. I dont like how you have to sit so close to each other in a v-drive as in the 209/X9 you have room to sreatch out and relax. The boat is so wide that you can easily walk around the motor box so its not an issue. The v-drive does have more storage room but believe me the 209/X9 can hold alot of gear.

sizzler
05-08-2006, 03:30 AM
i have a X9...... perfect boat for me and the family......skiing,boarding,surfing and footin.........does the job just right

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Chalk up another one in favor of the 209 with a tower. I currently own a 205 with a tower & prefer the performance a direct drive delivers over the sluggish v-drives.
I have a friend with a Sammy Duvall 209 that is sweet. Good wake for the foil & awesome performance.

mtrask
05-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I have a 04 X-9 and made the decision based on many of your aspects. Kids, Size, Flexability. Love the ski wake--perfect boat.. Keeps getting better every year..

Tell me more about your prop and drive train on your boat?? Like to hear why you thought to go to the three blade prop or who advised you on this!!

Thanks

Life is Good!
05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
the boat i traded in had a 3 blade acme and i loved the overall performance, so when i decided to step up to a mastercraft the prop choice for me was easy. That being said, I did try the factory oj prop and it did perform well, but i told my dealer the only way i would buy the boat is if he gave me the prop choice. I think he was skeptical as well until he drove the boat with the acme prop on it, needless to say neither he nor his head service tech could believe it! Now they are stocking acme 3 blades. The 13x12 has a little better hole shot and alot better top end, but i went with the 13x11.5 and it has a rocket hole shot and is still almost 2 mph faster on the top end than the factory oj and is every bit as smooth if not smoother. It is something you really need to try in order to believe the difference. My boat is a brand new 05 x9 with the mcx and a 1 to 1 trans. The boat is all yellow with the old school graphics. Trying to figure out the wifes digital camera so i can post some pics. ;)

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
the boat i traded in had a 3 blade acme and i loved the overall performance, so when i decided to step up to a mastercraft the prop choice for me was easy. That being said, I did try the factory oj prop and it did perform well, but i told my dealer the only way i would buy the boat is if he gave me the prop choice. I think he was skeptical as well until he drove the boat with the acme prop on it, needless to say neither he nor his head service tech could believe it! Now they are stocking acme 3 blades. The 13x12 has a little better hole shot and alot better top end, but i went with the 13x11.5 and it has a rocket hole shot and is still almost 2 mph faster on the top end than the factory oj and is every bit as smooth if not smoother. It is something you really need to try in order to believe the difference. My boat is a brand new 05 x9 with the mcx and a 1 to 1 trans. The boat is all yellow with the old school graphics. Trying to figure out the wifes digital camera so i can post some pics. ;)

The factory OJ was a four blade though, correct? I've compared the acme and the xmp 3 blades side by side, and if I recall, top end was pretty close to even with both props.

Hoosier Bob
05-08-2006, 10:19 PM
First off, I feel it is the best do it all wife pleaser, wake boarder, slalom boat bar none. I've heard the Bush family and the Kennedy family have one on time share. Secondly, do not listen to BigMac (he still uses Walmart Super Duty 30 wt in his ship)! Mobile One, X9, some glass and the family, LIFE IS GOOD! :woohoo:

Life is Good!
05-08-2006, 10:24 PM
yes the stock prop was a 4 blade. I did try the 13x11.5 oj and top end was similar to my acme but it was not near as smooth! Just a side note, I am not on here trying to bash oj props, as i said the stock prop ran very well and i think oj makes a great prop.

Hoosier Bob
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Just remember the OJ you are speaking of is probably not CNC'd. I also have an Acme and found it to be a ton better that my standard issue OJ 3 and 4 blade. I have never used an OJ CNC prop but have heard they are just as nice/effective as the ACME. Apple to Apples the OJ may be as good and Eastie can tell you all about it in the FAQ Thread. :D yes the stock prop was a 4 blade. I did try the 13x11.5 oj and top end was similar to my acme but it was not near as smooth! Just a side note, I am not on here trying to bash oj props, as i said the stock prop ran very well and i think oj makes a great prop, but at this time in my opinion and that of my mastercrafts dealers opinion the acme is a better all around prop and he has been a dealer of mc since 76!

Life is Good!
05-08-2006, 10:36 PM
both oj props i tried were cnc props. not sure why the 3 blade vibrated but the 4 blade was a nice prop.

Hoosier Bob
05-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Nevermind! :D both oj props i tried were cnc props. not sure why the 3 blade vibrated but the 4 blade was a nice prop.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Since OJ has a business arrangement with MC, I think this might be one of those situations where they wouldn't want us using the forum they pay for to tout the competition. It's a fine line we have to walk.

/Yeah, yeah, I know. Ignore what prop I have. :)

Hoosier Bob
05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
My OJ 541 works great! Wouldn't be caught on the lake without it! Thanks Eastie for reminding me! :D Since OJ has a business arrangement with MC, I think this might be one of those situations where they wouldn't want us using the forum they pay for to tout the competition. It's a fine line we have to walk.

/Yeah, yeah, I know. Ignore what prop I have. :)

jmyers
05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I have the X-9 and love it! We have no issues with the motor box, with 9 in the boat we never even notice a lack of room! And as for the prop, the four blade OJ seems to work great(except when it hits a log!) :noface: :D

Life is Good!
05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I agree, I wont even consider a v-drive because they handle like a pig, but still think they are good boats if thats your thing. I guess i am stuck on the old direct drive mentality, and wont consider anything else! Yes the stock oj is a great prop, i just prefer the 3 blade acme :D :toast: