PDA

View Full Version : I've had it with eBay

Andyg
05-07-2006, 03:56 AM
I bought a set of speakers, JL 7.7" marine speakers off of eBay about 6 weeks ago. Once I got them I realized I made a mistake and had bought Tower Component Speakers instead of Cockpit Component Speakers. The auction I bought them from listed them as Cockpit Component Speakers. By time I had received the speakers the person who sold them to me was kicked off of ebay. So instead of trying to make a big stink about it I figured I would just resell them and eat any losses I might incur.

Well the first sale I made the same stupid mistake as the guy I bought them from and listed the speakers as Cockpit Component Speakers instead of Tower Component Speakers. That copy and past function will get you every time. Anyway the buyer pointed it out to me once they got them and I gave them a full refund once I got the speakers back.

I relisted them on eBay and in the second auction I clearly stated that these were tower speakers so I didn't make the same mistake again. I just resold them again on eBay and the person received them yesterday. The guy is now trying to tell me that because there is a supposed scratch on the backside of one of the speaker housings that he doesn't want them and wants a refund. He is trying to say that they are used and not brand new as described in my auction. My guess is he made the same mistake I did originally and thought they were cockpit component speakers with an infinite baffle when they were actually tower speakers made for a finite enclosure size.. Now he is telling me that American Express is going to charge back my paypal account.

I have had it. What is the point of eBay if you can't sell anything? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the speakers and if there is a scratch in them it wouldn't surprise me that he put it there after he got them yesterday. So I said screw it and closed my paypal account. I guess I am done using eBay and Paypal now.

I needed to vent. I feel better. Now hopefully I can sleep as this has been keeping me awake for the past three hours thinking about it.

erkoehler
05-07-2006, 07:05 AM
3am WOW....I feel for ya. Personally, I think paypal sucks!

bigmac
05-07-2006, 07:15 AM
3am WOW....I feel for ya. Personally, I think paypal sucks!

http://paypalsucks.com.

Seriously...be sure to look at the discussion forums (http://paypalsucks.com/forums/)

east tx skier
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Andy, I'm sorry for all of your troubles. I've bought and sold lots of stuff on ebay and feel fortunate to have had about 98% postitive experience with it. I wouldn't have perfect pass unless I could've made the money to buy it in one week by selling some things on ebay.

It's great for baby clothes that they outgrow so quickly, too.

Again, sorry you've had touble with it lately.

agua4fun
05-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I hear ya, ive been had both ways. selling, and buying.

its the circle of e-bay, the same stuff bounces around for years on that site. I may be out too.

my latest issue is i bought a used skylon off ebay, said it fit the standard pylon on ski boats (which i thought all newer model mastercrafts had), all i know is, it doesnt fit my '01 190? any ideas? is my pylon smaller? is this not a standard skylon? (i know it is an older model) too bad i bought it in january, and now its may before i could try it. I guess it will go back up on e-bay. CRIPES!

any ideas?
(oh yeah, the pylon is about 1/2" too big dia.)

JimN
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess the best thing to do as a seller is take and post a ton of photos. Item with big letters, "no refunds for any reason" in every paragraph, that kind of thing.

Of course, for the people in the SE Wisconsin area, there's always 7-Mile Fair.

Andyg
05-07-2006, 12:41 PM
After reading some of the things on PayPalsucks.com I decided to now cancel my credit card that was in their system and close my bank account that was in their system. Well see how much luck they have charging back those accounts from so fraudulant buyer.

AirJunky
05-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I hate to say it but AndyG, it sounds like this was your problem, not Ebay's. The 2 messed up listings, the scratch on the back indicating they were used (even if their not). I've bought & sold a lot of stuff on Ebay & never had a problem. I always list the actual condition of the item. And if I make a bad purchase, it's always been that I didn't do my homework before I commited to the purchase. I even use Paypal & don't have issues. In fact, we can process credit cards on our own & from our perspective, Paypal is less hassle than that. But it's a good option for people who don't trust Paypal.

Aqua4fun, that Skylon was originally sold with 3 or 4 plastic sleeves so that made it fit a variety of diameter pylons. There should be a thick plastic sleeve inside the pylon. Plus there were a few different thickness colored sleeves that your supposed to slide down over the pylon so it fits correctly. This should have been included with your auction. If not, maybe you can contact Skylon directly for these sleeves. This kind of deal is unfortunate because it sounds like the seller didn't give you all the parts. And you didn't know to ask for all of them either. But it's not Ebay's fault since you could have bought that at any garage sale, used store, etc. & gotten the same deal.

Andyg
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I hate to say it but AndyG, it sounds like this was your problem, not Ebay's. The 2 messed up listings, the scratch on the back indicating they were used (even if their not). I've bought & sold a lot of stuff on Ebay & never had a problem. I always list the actual condition of the item. And if I make a bad purchase, it's always been that I didn't do my homework before I commited to the purchase. I even use Paypal & don't have issues. In fact, we can process credit cards on our own & from our perspective, Paypal is less hassle than that. But it's a good option for people who don't trust Paypal.

I agree the first two were totally my fault, but I finally thought I got out from under my mistake and the next fiasco happens. As for the condition of the speakers they were brand and if there was a scratch on the back housing I sure didn't see. Not to mention who cares if there is a scratch on the back of the speaker.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 02:15 AM
I agree the first two were totally my fault, but I finally thought I got out from under my mistake and the next fiasco happens. As for the condition of the speakers they were brand and if there was a scratch on the back housing I sure didn't see. Not to mention who cares if there is a scratch on the back of the speaker.
Your right, a single scratch on the back is anal. But in the eyes of someone who believes they just bought a brand new product, who knows what else is wrong with these speakers.
So in that light, it's a good idea to include good clear pics in your auctions..... so a dispute like this doesn't happen. But still not a problem with Ebay itself.
Sorry. Hope your able to learn from the experience & have better ones in the future.

atlfootr
05-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I guess it will go back up on e-bay. any ideas?
(oh yeah, the pylon is about 1/2" too big dia.)If, I where you ... measure both the "inside diamaiter" of the bottom skylon
and the base circumference (sp) of your plyon for starters -- also take LOTS of pic's from all angles.

Oh yea, throw the clause re: NO REFUNDS / NO RETURN POLICY

Good Luck :)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree, I don't like ebay.

Unless it's someone on here that posts a link to what they are selling...:D

Tom023
05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I just completed my second ebay purchase in 8 years and although it was flawless, I'm with everyone else who doesn't like it. I once tried to list something and couldn't get the hang of it. And their endless, text-laden help screens and disclaimers just turned me off to the whole site.