PDA

View Full Version : Please help our marriage

love2fly
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
What do I do.

We owned a boat for about 5 years that had a 2 cycle out board engine on it. My wife never got conforable driving it so I never got to ski.

Last year we upgraded to a MC which I love and is so much easer to drive. The problem is my wife still wont drive it and Im still not skiiing. Im also not getting any younger and I need to ski.

How does one teach a spouce how to drive on the lake??

erkoehler
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Have someone other than yourself teach her :)

88 PS190
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
you sit her in the seat, and give her a back rub only so long as she keeps driving.

Leroy
05-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Grab a beer, sit back and tell her to drive around the lake for awhile....after you have had a few she should be doing pretty good just driving. It is a big step to pull a skier.

88 PS190
05-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Don't have her pull slalom until after she pulls some tubes or combo skiers.

Can't have anyone not getting up and getting pissy.

sand2snow22
05-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Ummm, leave the wife at home and teach a friend how to drive? Works for me....Or compromise by learning to do her nails? I would stick with plan A.....

JLeuck64
05-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Yup, been there.
My wife doesn't like to drive much either. Especially if the boat traffic is more than just a few boats. So I don't even ask her to drive unless the lake is empty. It took some patience to get her to that point.

In the mean time I got her pregnant a couple of times. The kids are finally getting old enough to learn to drive in the last few years! It took even more patience to get to this point!

I have had a good friend for a very long time that enjoys skiing as much as I do. He does the majority of driving when I want to play tug of war behind the boat.

You need to find a buddy, a guy not a gal, that knows how or wants to learn how to drive. Besides, I would never have progressed as far as I have over the years without that friendly competition pushing me along!

88 PS190
05-07-2006, 02:20 AM
from what JLeuck said, i think you just need to get her pregnant, i mean i've tried to read into it more, and come up with a different message. but yea looks like get kids.

stumbledog
05-07-2006, 07:39 AM
What do I do.

We owned a boat for about 5 years that had a 2 cycle out board engine on it. My wife never got conforable driving it so I never got to ski.

Last year we upgraded to a MC which I love and is so much easer to drive. The problem is my wife still wont drive it and Im still not skiiing. Im also not getting any younger and I need to ski.

Trial and error is the only way. We bought our first boat last year. Wife had never driven a boat or pulled a skier.

I gave her a demo or where to throw the throttle when dragging me out of the water, and told her to ease it back a bit after I popped up.

You might want to try a wakeboard first, as it is much much easier to get someone out of the water on a wakeboard that a slalom ski.

There were some tense moments, but it was worth it. You have to get her in the seat, and she can do it.

Tom023
05-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Once she starts to drive be sure to have a perfect pass in the boat before she pulls you. One less thing for her to worry about.

ski_king
05-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Do like I did, have kids and wait till they are 16 or so, worked for me.

stevo137
05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I would wait for a time when she's in a great mood and not much traffic on the lake and then just let her cruise the boat around a bit at first.
Sounds like it's going to take some time but you never know.
Example, my BIL has been diving for many years but my SIL never had an interest in it. She finally tried it and probably loves it more than him now.
Now they travel all over the world and go on dive trips together.

I will tell you one thing my Mrs. does a great job of driving, pulling me and backing the trailer on the ramp but she still does not like it when it gets busy out there, WHICH IS MOST OF THE TIME THESE DAYS!
They are going to make mistakes pulling, so we all do once in awhile.
Don't do what I have done complain about the pull.
As Sporty says, (Be kind to yur driver).

bigmac
05-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I will tell you one thing my Mrs. does a great job of driving, pulling me and backing the trailer on the ramp but she still does not like it when it gets busy out there, WHICH IS MOST OF THE TIME THESE DAYS!
They are going to make mistakes pulling, so we all do once in awhile.
Don't do what I have done complain about the pull.
As Sporty says, (Be kind to yur driver).

I'm lucky in that my wife's experience over many years pulling huge horse trailers has resulted in her being better at handling trailers than I am. As to boat handling, she's also very competent. Although I must say that Perfect Pass has been a true blessing relative to boat-related arguments.

east tx skier
05-07-2006, 10:31 AM
My wife came trained to pull skiers. I remember her talking about water skiing and using the word MasterCraft on our first date. When I caught up a few years later, it was just a matter of my suggesting to her how I liked to be pulled up.

With new drivers, all of the above is good advice. Start slow when it's not crowded. No pulling skiers until she's comfortable.

My method is this.

1. Let someone (1) other than you, and (2) whom she respects teach her to drive. The first part is so she can't readily get angry with you about being corrected, and the second part is so she is less likely to get angry with the person correcting her.

2. Perfect pass is a life saver. If you're not in the course, just get the cruise. Easy to use and locks in the speed perfectly so she doesn't have to think about it.

Dawg
05-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I was in the water yesterday getting ready to rip a set and was giving my wife some last minute instructions like I always do. She said " If you don't quit your *##@!! I'll back right over the top of you"!! My reply was "Yea... and you'll probably do that at the wong speed too"!!
Anyway she was telling a friend later, "When I die, please bury me at the lake so my husband will visit me"
Dawg.

USC8791
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Ditch the wife and find a new driver. New wives are a dime a dozen. Good drivers are hard to find.

Jorski
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Meet friends on lake (guys), only the hardcore need to apply...go skiing with buddies at 6:45am while she sleeps in. Afterwards take wife and kids skiing.

It's just that easy!

LakePirate
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Patience. I was in the same position you were in last summer. Started with letting the wife drive on the sunset booze cruise on the pontoon. Then put her in the drivers seat and let her cruise around in the MC. If you happen to know another female that is a good driver let her teacher her. I tried letting her pull me initially on combos, that was so miserable that I just sucked it up and put on the slalom. She got me right up. Now she wants to drive all the time. Next step is PP. She gets a bit hot in the course. What ever you do don't yell at her about it.

skitilldark
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Two words. Perfect pass. It's a marriage saver. Oh, and no matter how bad she's driving, always compliment her on something.

LakePirate
05-08-2006, 10:59 PM
This thread might help (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3318)

Tennesseeski
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=88 PS190]Don't have her pull slalom until after she pulls some tubes :eek: :eek: or combo skiers.

DON'T get carried away now!! These are world record TOW boats, not tude boats!! :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Where are you located?

What do I do.

Jerseydave
05-09-2006, 07:26 PM
If you can, get out during the week when the lake is empty.

Let her practice without a skier over and over again. That includes pulling the skier up (pretend) and circling around to pick up a downed skier. You could also put a buoy on an anchor so she can approach it like a skier in the water. (always on drivers' side)

If that doesn't work, tell her to go antique-ing! :D

jraben8
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
If you can, get out during the week when the lake is empty.

Let her practice without a skier over and over again. That includes pulling the skier up (pretend) and circling around to pick up a downed skier. You could also put a buoy on an anchor so she can approach it like a skier in the water. (always on drivers' side)
:D

I really like this idea. It's the best way to simulate without the danger of someone in the water but make sure that you have a knife in case she catches the rope on the buoy.

If she is okay with the buoy then maybe she'll let you try boarding slow, say 16-18 if you can then slowly increase the speeds later. Just a thought.

FWIW: My wife is scared to pull me barefooting. Slalom, no problem. 4 mph makes a huge difference with her.

jimmer2880
05-10-2006, 05:01 AM
.....FWIW: My wife is scared to pull me barefooting. Slalom, no problem. 4 mph makes a huge difference with her.

Same here. My wife will pull me through the course all day long. But, put me on a long-line footin, & she's extremely nervous, and will hand over the wheel to someone else. She still drives, though, if she's the only person who is a decent driver in the boat though.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Meet friends on lake (guys), only the hardcore need to apply...go skiing with buddies at 6:45am while she sleeps in. Afterwards take wife and kids skiing.

It's just that easy!
That's why I asked where they are located......;)

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
We owned a boat for about 5 years that had a 2 cycle out board engine on it. You meant to say a 2 Stroke, didn't you? :confused:

jbfootin
05-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Practice when the lake is not busy, and when my wife drives we have one rule..

NEVER YELL AT THE DRIVER!

With that one rule evryone stays happy. Even if the driving is not perfect, it is still beter than to have not skied at all! :toast:

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 10:01 AM
My wife is scared to pull me barefooting.That's all we ever do! :dance: She's pulls me, I pull her and another barefoot'n friend pulls us both double.
I always tell her before I jump off the back, "honey if I get a crappy pull (not hot enough hole shot
or a straight line) remember, your next" :cool: That seems to work, pretty well.

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Practice when the lake is not busy, and when my wife drives we have one rule.
NEVER YELL AT THE DRIVER! :toast:If, my wife read this - she'd hug ya ..

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
C'mon Footer! Cycle and Stroke are like Tomato and Tomato. Two cycles, fire or two strokes, fire. Now bring that big ole two cycle to Indy! :D You meant to say a 2 Stroke, didn't you? :confused:

jraben8
05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
That's all we ever do! :dance: She's pulls me, I pull her and another barefoot'n friend pulls us both double.
I always tell her before I jump off the back, "honey if I get a crappy pull (not hot enough hole shot
or a straight line) remember, your next" :cool: That seems to work, pretty well.

Really, the only time that I notice that I'm not getting a pull that I'm accustomed to is when it starts getting crowded. She doesn't like rough water anymore than I do and she'll deviate any direction to find it so hold on. The good news is that she will find it. :D

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I gave up myself. Stay on the site and give up your location so you can find a good rotation. This site helped me do more skiing last year than ever before. My other half is more into the recreation aspect and has no interest. I tried to teach last year and while remaining calm I asked her to now do a circle. The rollers were coming so she slowed. I said pick up your speed when you cross the rollers. She came back with do not tell me how to drive (I thought that was what I was teaching her!) so she slowed almost completely as I watched the water come over the windshield soaking us both. That's it your done! I can't stands no more!!! :mad:

bcampbe7
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I was in this same predicament 2 years ago. The very first time my wife pulled me behind our new to us MasterCraft was with her parents in the boat. :eek:

I was in the water (only about 15' from the boat) and asked her to get the slack out. Apparently that translated to floor it in womanese!

Luckily the rope was not wrapped around me or my board in any way.

I was very pissed and very loudly let her know that was not the way to do it.

Needless to say we worked on it and she is now a great driver and pulls me on the wakeboard and slalom. She also loads the boat. She actually wanted me to criticize her driving and tell her exactly how to pull me up. She takes it all in and does it perfect the first time every time. :love:

6ballsisall
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Still working on gettin my wife to drive ours..... I screwed up last year and now she is hesitant. Our new to us boat last August I had her driving on our lake, she said it was busy but I wouldn't say it was by an stretch of the imagination. I couldn't get her to go fast enough to get it on a plane so it was nose high all the way and she was letting me how much she cared for that every step of the way. After alot of nudging I finally got her to open it up to about 20 mph. the first set of waves she freaked out and started crying and wanted to stop. I pushed her to keep going and thats all she wrote.

Lesson learned: either let someone else teach her when you aren't around OR save up every bit of patience you have and work with her VERY slowly and calmly.

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Really, the only time that I notice that I'm not getting a pull that I'm accustomed to is when it starts getting crowded. She doesn't like rough water anymore than I do and she'll deviate any direction to find it so hold on. The good news is that she will find it. :DThat may not be much of a problem when stand'n up on a stick :noface:
Try barefoot'n through crap like that on a "good day" anywhere on
(East Coast Reunion 2006) Lake Sidney Lanier :rant:
and you'll know the reason why, we moved to Winter Haven! :steering:
They can have it!

jraben8
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
That may not be much of a problem when stand'n up on a stick :noface:
They can have it!

My wife won't leave Texas at this point or I'd be there in a heartbeat.

BrianM
05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
My wife is an ok driver. She does well at speed and pulling the skier out of the water but is not so great with the slow speed manuvering. Around the dock or a skier and bringing the rope back around I have to remind her to bump it in and out of gear to make the slow speed manuvers. She will leave it in gear and get going way to fast then panicks a bit when she starts coming in to fast. She is learning but it is slow.

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
One of my happier moments on the water was when I tapped my head, my wife saw me, pointed to the right, I pulled out as she nudged the nose left, then brought it back around to meet me as I glided up close to her. Came up to me and bumped a little reverse in right as I was even with the driver's seat. Back to neutral and killed it as the platform drifted gently to me.

Merry Christmas!

LakePirate
05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
That may not be much of a problem when stand'n up on a stick :noface:
They can have it!

I am with you brother, I am an Atlanta Native and have never skied on Lanier. When you can lose a pontoon in the rollers I have no business out there.

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
One of my happier moments on the water was when I tapped my head, my wife saw me, pointed to the right, I pulled out as she nudged the nose left, then brought it back around to meet me as I glided up close to her. Came up to me and bumped a little reverse in right as I was even with the driver's seat. Back to neutral and killed it as the platform drifted gently to me.Merry Christmas!Merry Christmas to you too.
What was "it" she killed, a snake or the motor? :huh:

east tx skier
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
The motor. If there was a snake, hopefully she killed it.

atlfootr
05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
By the way you described her manuvering, I thought you were implying she ran over a snake.
Good to hear, she's quite the driver. :steering: