PDA

View Full Version : Any Gentle advice...

sanjuan23
05-06-2006, 09:41 PM
For not losing your cool while trying to teach the Mrs. how to back a trailer. I went with the extremely slow and little steering input idea, but just wondering if anyone else may have experienced this problema?? :rant:

88 PS190
05-06-2006, 10:14 PM
hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.

JEREMY79
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Let someone else teach her.

flipper
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM
That is the best. That how I taught my wife, oh and with their boat.

88 PS190
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM
better yet, have her learn at night w/ no one around.

or put her in the boat, and let her idle about.

T Scott
05-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't try to teach her at the ramp...too stressfull for everyone. Take her to a empty parking lot with and have her practice backing it in different parking spaces. This way, there is no pressure for her to "hurry up" because others are waiting to use the ramp. You don't have to worry about her backing the boat into something, etc.

rmc1
05-07-2006, 06:15 AM
toldmy wife how it was done and if she got into trouble get the trailer straight and try it again. also told her that if she bent the tounge it was at least 300.00 to fix. go ahead and back. The I walked away and gave her some space. Now she has backed with cars, trucks and even motorhomes and is good at it.

6ballsisall
05-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Tscott has some great advice. Find an empty parking lot and after shes got the feel of backing it a little set out some markers (cones or whatever you have) and make a little course for her to back down which would be similar to backing down a ramp. Patience!!

JEREMY79
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I guess I got lucky. My wife could back the boat from here to town if she wanted to. She could do that before we got married.

6ballsisall
05-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I guess I got lucky. My wife could back the boat from here to town if she wanted to. She could do that before we got married.
U got yerself a keeper!!! :toast:

east tx skier
05-07-2006, 10:19 AM
My wife is a fantastic trailer backer.

Someone mentioned part of our method. Very easy to explain this way.

Tell her to put her hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. If she wants the boat/trailer to got left, she moves her hand to the left. If she wants the boat/trailer to go to the right, she moves her hand to the right.

Back it down and submerge the bunks to get them good and wet, then pull it out until the tops of the fenders are about only showing about 2" out of the water.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
This is the best advice I have to admit.
BUT, if that is not an option. I can't stress enough use the Mirrors.
But I would have her do it with no boat a dozen or so times. Then repeatedly as often as possible. Practice, practice, practice.

PapaJoe
05-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Left turn = right

Right turn = left

Like to street cone idea....

No sharpe turns...

Slow adjusting turns..... (counter).....

Practice.... But, its something you can do together.....

My wife will not even want to try, so your better off than I am.........

JOE

X2M
05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Taking your wife to an empty parking lot to practice is a great idea. She will be able to learn and practice without lots of people standing around watching. Let her figure out what works best for her...using the mirrors or turning around watching. Don't forget the compliments when she gets it right too. ;) :D :)